Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Test in March (Naas)

Options
  • 28-01-2015 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

So I just got a date for my bike test. Trying to get both car and bike licenses before I head off travelling for a few months. Got made redundant on NYE which is why I'm going away, this means I'll have plenty of time to prepare!

The date I got is 2 weeks after my car test so I'll be glad of that time to concentrate specifically on the bike. But the next couple weeks I'll be juggling both.

Any advice on the best way to prepare? I'll need to find someone to get a couple lessons and a pretest from. I'm based in Leixlip and doing the test in Naas, any recommendations? The only instruction I've got is the IBT 2 years ago.

Somewhere I see potential trouble is on the U-Turn, I used to have a Bandit and found it grand, now on an SV I find it difficult or damn near impossible on narrow roads. The turning circle is just completely different, I guess I need to really lean into it.

I don't think I'll have any issues with slow riding, is it normal/expected to keep the revs up and use the clutch to control speed and back brake to stabilise? I was shown this in the IBT and have always done it.

I see that the tester could be either a car or a bike. I'm wondering about filtering at traffic lights, is this expected? Like a bike could keep up but the car would be left behind. I always filter and would understand if failing to do so would be considered lack of progress. Then again I'm going nowhere so I'd be happy to just sit in traffic.

Do I need to consider which foot I put down when stopping? I tend to mix it up, sometimes leaving right foot on the brake, sometimes with left foot up ready to engage first gear, if I've filtered and expect to go v soon I'll leave it in gear. Is there any issue with leaving the bike in gear while stopped?

Any tips are much appreciated, cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

What category bike test ?
    2 years ago was A25kw = A2
    did you get cat A ?

Basically if you get a lesson or so, you will know what is expected to pass your bike test.

Naas, is only 50 and 60 km/h area for your bike test,,, and 50km/h area for car test.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Category A, direct access on a 650

Car test route is a bit different from the bike route.
    Start oiling up your neck to be able to turn your head.
    Car test will be easier, cos ya cannot fall off a car, haha.

On bike,, left foot down only while holding the rear brake with the right foot.
    Keep bike in 1st gear when stopped in traffic.
    No filtering on bike test.
    Bikes are followed by the tester on a bike.
    Slow riding,,, keep revs up while holding it back with the rear brake. SV will need to have the clutch feathered a bit to keep it smooth.

For bike test,,, bring registration document (log book)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cunn

Some 650cc bikes are not 50kw that is required for A class test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

cunn wrote: »
    Some 650cc bikes are not 50kw that is required for A class test

The SV650 meets the requirements for the A class test.

• Advertisement

SV 650 S model is on the rsa list as suitable for cat A test.

(the naked SV 650 is not suitable )

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

LookBehindYou is your man, covers Naas test centre & can give lessons in both car & bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I got a date as well. Anyone around that does bike rental for the test? I have one of those 650s that aren't good for the A test :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I got a date as well. Anyone around that does bike rental for the test? I have one of those 650s that aren't good for the A test :-)

Yes. LookBehindYou has school bikes for every category of test.

SV 650 S model is on the rsa list as suitable for cat A test.

(the naked SV 650 is not suitable )

Thanks for that, I didn't even think to check. Thankfully mine is the S model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

On the U-Turn dont be afraid to use your back brake if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭lostboy75

My LP expired 03/02, I went in to renew it the day before I went skiing and their systems were down, got back yesterday so renewed it today and they say I'll get it in 7-10 days, test is next Tue! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Did you mention to them you were doing the test? If they gave you something like a receipt saying yours in on the way it might possibly do the job? Ring the test centre tomorrow and explain and see if they can do anything is probably your best bet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Vaidookas_

Hey guys, passed my test from 1st go. Any questions please ask. uploaded naas test route so you all would know it and could prepare. You can find video here youtu.be/dcmY-7NXLxY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Vaidookas_ wrote: »
    Hey guys, passed my test from 1st go.
    Go you, well done ;)

Vaidookas_ wrote: »
    Hey guys, passed my test from 1st go. Any questions please ask. uploaded naas test route so you all would know it and could prepare. You can find video here youtu.be/dcmY-7NXLxY

Well done! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Congrats, only the best past 1st time....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭robinwing

well done man , where did you do the u turn ?

"well done man , where did you do the u turn ? "

on the road, path, and a little bit of the ditch, it was handy enough ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Dillweed

Hey, I hope it's okay to jump in on this thread.

I'm doing my test on 31/7/15. I was just wondering what leg protection is necessary? I have some armoured trousers but they're big and I find it much easier to ride without them; I generally keep them for bad conditions or long journeys

Do you think it would be okay to do the test in jeans, without motorbike trousers?

Thanks!

Dillweed wrote: »

Do you think it would be okay to do the test in jeans, without motorbike trousers?

Thanks!

Think of it as an interview and not just a test. look the part, show them you're a safe rider from the very start. Wear all the gear, don't be surprised if you fail and you're in jeans.

zubair wrote: »
    Think of it as an interview and not just a test. look the part, show them you're a safe rider from the very start. Wear all the gear, don't be surprised if you fail and you're in jeans.
    i agree fully with this, it should not matter but it will influence the tester.
    arrive in good gear properly looked after and your starting on the right note.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dillweed

Will do so. Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I done my test in Wicklow and be wouldn't let me out before checking I had all the gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

szatan84 wrote: »
    I done my test in Wicklow and be wouldn't let me out before checking I had all the gear.

Why is that, only a Helmet is legally required.

Advertisement