Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wholemeal Flour

Options
  • 28-01-2015 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm on a strict diet which only allows me to eat bread made from "100% wholemeal flour" with no artificial additives including sugar :(

I decided to make my own Wholemeal Tin Bread using Aldi's own "The Pantry" brand "Strong Wholemeal Flour" and their fast action dried yeast.

On looking at the ingredients of the bag of flour it says "wheat flour" which is confusing me. If it's 100% wholemeal as it claims on the front of the bag why would the ingredient be described as wheat flour?

Am I just being a dope and not understanding that wholemeal flour and wheat flour are interchangeable terms for the same thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The clue is in the name - wholemeal. The whole wheat grain (other than the husk) ground to flour. White, or plain flour has the bran removed and the wheat germ and often it is bleached. So yes, wholemeal is in fact wheat flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks Looksee, so I'm safe to say that flour described as wholemeal with wheat flour as the only listed ingredient is "100% wholemeal"?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Whether white or brown the flour will be made from wheat. So yes, it is wheat flour. It just happens to have the brown bits left on rather than sieved out

Thanks everyone, sorry for being a bit of a pleb :o

Now all I have to do is fine some easy to make wholemeal flour recipes which don't incorporate sugar or milk and still taste like bread :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The Nutrition & Diet forum might be of some help to you :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=982

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

My regular bread recipe is pretty forgiving, 500g strong white flour (or mixed half and half with brown), 1 sachet quick yeast, 1 tsp salt, 350g water. Mix well and abandon for a few hours. Then shape (including putting into a well oiled tin) and bake at 200C for about 40mins and give it a tap and see how it sounds.

I'll have to try that but with 100% wholemeal.

Cheers.

Best of luck, even if it's too wet it'll still make awesome bread (err on the side of wetness if in doubt). I found the all brown bread a bit to much. You'd spend hours chewing it (same with the soda breads, so it's just personal preference)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

BenEadir wrote: »
    I'll have to try that but with 100% wholemeal.

Cheers.

Make sure if you are making yeast bread, which is nicer, get strong whole meal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BenEadir wrote: »
    Thanks Looksee, so I'm safe to say that flour described as wholemeal with wheat flour as the only listed ingredient is "100% wholemeal"?
    Yes, be careful that it is the only 1 on the ingredients list. I am not sure if there are flour brands here with a mixture.

Brennans "wholegrain bread" is mainly wheat flour.
    Flour (Wheat flour (Wheat, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Thiamin, Niacin), Wholemeal Flour (Wheat)), Water, Cracked Wheat (10%), Yeast, Salt, Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed), Soya Flour, Emulsifier E472e, Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vegetable Fat (Palm)

Ingredients are listed in order of greatest first, and then all those brackets cause even more confusion.

McCambridges wholewheat bread has some white flour, but its quite low in the ingredients list so only a small amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

"Wheat" is the name of the cereal plant that is ground up to make flour.
    "flour" and "meal" mean the same thing!
    The flour, or meal, can be left WHOLE > hence Whole-meal. Or it be stripped down to the white starch. White wheat flour.

Of course, flour can be made from other cereals or even pulses: and it can always be ground coarse or fine, or sieved or not.
    Consider, Oat-meal. Barley meal. Cornmeal, Almond meal (USA for ground almonds) etc etc

The WHOLE is the important word, not the simple "wheat".

and re: bread: there is a knack to making good bread from whole dark wheat. All those branny bits are very healthy but they don't rise as well. Use a "strong" type if you can, or plenty of soda!

Best of luck!

Advertisement