Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rekindling my childhood interest in wrestling, what's the story these days?

• 28-01-2015 10:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

Used to love watching raw/smackdown on a saturday morning at 11 as a young lad. Or after mass on a Sunday on Sky 1. The Rock/Stone Cold/Big Show/Triple H were all the big names back then.

Who are the big deals these days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Hacksaw jim duggan:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Roman Reign is a big deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

There's a ginger Irish guy doing pretty good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

rovert wrote: »
    Roman Reign is a big deal

Heard about him and seen his interview talking about Lesnar. He's a relative of the Rock is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Well Hulk Hogan is still around, who knew! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Big Show and Triple H still going strong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,297 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

John Cena been the top guy for many many years now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Its the ultimate warrior, earthquake, macho man randy savage and undisputed champion of the world is giant haystacks,

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Seth Rollins.

/thread.

Big Show and Triple H still going strong!

Wow. They're going a long time now. I know Triple H is COO now. Is he still wrestling full time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Triple H and Steph are running the show (on-screen) as the Authority. Trip wrestles occasionally on big shows.

John Cena is top good guy for the last 11+ years and is likely to stay that way.

Brock Lensar is the seldom seen WWE World heavyweight champion who has great matches and is very dominant!

Dolph Ziggler is the Workhorse of the WWE. Fans love him but they're yet to pull the trigger on him yet.

Daniel Bryan is the most popular guy in the company. Loved for both his personality, in-ring work and just being a nice dude.

Dean Ambrose is a fan favourite. Great wrestling ability and cool mental anti-hero character

Seth Rollins is the chicken s#it bad guy. Extremely dastardly and hides behind his MITB briefcase and his security team.

Rusev is the Bulgarian who is a Russian Sympathiser. He is currently US champion

Bad News Barrett is an English lad who has good wrestling ability and a fun character. He is IC champion.

Roman Reigns is the Winner of the 2015 Royal Rumble. Former stablemate of Rollins and Ambrose he is yet to shake the image of his team or really break out on his own as they have. He is part of the rocks family tree where every Samoan in the company is related.

Sheamus is the big ginger dude from Dublin who is currently out on injury but was the first Irish WWE champion.

That should be a good starting point for the main roster at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Internet loves Daniel Bryan - Bryan gets shafted.

Internet loves Dolph Ziggler - Ziggler gets shafted.

Internet loves CM Punk - CM Punk gets shafted, leaves and now in UFC.

Brock Lesnar is beast - beats the Undertaker at Wrestlemania 30- current WWE Champion.

Internet hates Roman Reigns - LOL, Reigns Wins - Vince McMahon is out of touch with life.

Sting is now in WWE.

NXT is awesome for new talent - See Finn Balor, Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens.

Seth Rollins is Awesome - not getting shafted yet.

LOLCENAWINS.

Boo-Tista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Used to love watching raw/smackdown on a saturday morning at 11 as a young lad. Or after mass on a Sunday on Sky 1. The Rock/Stone Cold/Big Show/Triple H were all the big names back then.

I think it aired at 10am on Saturdays. I don't recall it clashing with football matches, which kicked off at 12:30-12:45. It was also the censored version - the uncensored version aired at 10pm that night on Sky Sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Big Show was in the final four at the Rumble match, Rock and Triple H made an appearance and every year people talk about Austin doing another match. So...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I think it aired at 10am on Saturdays. I don't recall it clashing with football matches, which kicked off at 12:30-12:45. It was also the censored version - the uncensored version aired at 10pm that night on Sky Sports.

Mid-90s WWF Mania and then Livewire was midday on Saturdays. I think they then added Shotgun at 1pm around 1997-98. Around 2000-01 Sky1 showed a censored version of Smackdown at 11am.

Ageyev wrote: »
    Mid-90s WWF Mania and then Livewire was midday on Saturdays. I think they then added Shotgun at 1pm around 1997-98. Around 2000-01 Sky1 showed a censored version of Smackdown at 11am.

That would be the one I would have watched!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

SmackDown came to Sky 1 earlier than that I thought. It used to start at midday at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

It was on after or before soccer am, saturday mornings used to be the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Wow. They're going a long time now. I know Triple H is COO now. Is he still wrestling full time?

No but he often opens and closes Raw with about 20mins of mic time:(

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Get the WWE network for $9.99 €12.99 a month. It includes all the new PPVs and more or less every old PPV and WWE show, including documentaries, WCW, ECW etc. It's a great and cheap starting point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Brock Lesnar is the main man these days. He has only wrestled sporadically over the last three years, but certainly has piqued my interest whenever he's been scheduled to appear onscreen.

Get the WWE network for $9.99 €12.99 a month. It includes all the new PPVs and more or less every old PPV and WWE show, including documentaries, WCW, ECW etc. It's a great and cheap starting point.

I'd love to get it for the PPVs but they are on Sunday nights? Not too handy to get up for work the next morning! How many PPVs in a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'd love to get it for the PPVs but they are on Sunday nights? Not too handy to get up for work the next morning! How many PPVs in a year?

You can watch any PPV at any time with the Network. That includes WCW and ECW.

There are 12 PPVs a year.

Also, NXT is the best thing about WWE right now. It's all the best male and female talent from the indies and homegrown WWE talent.

It's a very streamlined, simple show which emphasises wrestling and is generally a great way to spend an hour.

Brock Lesnar is the main man these days. He has only wrestled sporadically over the last three years, but certainly has piqued my interest whenever he's been scheduled to appear onscreen.

Why is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭HeathenWolf

Why is this?

Because he is signed to a part-time contract that limits his number of appearances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Because he is signed to a part-time contract that limits his number of appearances.

According to the latest JR podcast hes available for a lot more dates but WWE wont pay him

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Once the PPV finishes airing live it will still be on the Network so you can watch it anytime, so you can watch it when you come home from work.

Also as Moneymaker said, watch NXT, it's their developmental, and all the best young talent wrestle weekly on this show. This show also includes two Irish stars, Becky Lynch who is great and Finn Balor who is recognised as one of the best wrestling talents in the world. Wrestled for years as Prince Devitt in New Japan Pro Wrestling. NXT showcases some great in-ring talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Watched a match for the first time in ages, Rollins really is fantastic!

So so dislikeable :)

Advertisement