Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography Start Up

Options
  • 28-01-2015 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

How big is photography in Ireland at the moment and is it worth while getting into it?

Whats the best area to get into?

Photoshoots, Landscape, etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

tombocasey wrote: »
    How big is photography in Ireland at the moment and is it worth while getting into it?

Are you asking from a business perspective? From the point of view of someone who might be interested in taking photographs? More detail! Your question is too vague to answer.

Assuming the latter,

Is it worthwhile getting into it? That depends. Do you like taking photographs?

Whats the best area to get into? What do you think you'd like to take photographs of?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tombocasey

Yeah I am looking to set up a business in it and would love to get into newborn baby photoshoots and animal photoshoots.

I love taking photographs, couldnt live without it, Always known as the person taking to many photographs.

Just need to know if people would go for some photographer who has a small portfolio and not much to show instead of someone who has got a huge portfolio and is well known in the area for it. Should I start of small just doing a few photoshoots instead of rushing into anything big.

Sorry if I dont explain it very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

You seem to be of the opinion that you will be successful in your photography & there is nothing wrong with that but one mans photography doesn't fit on every mans wall so to speak.

Best of luck in your endeavours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

How proficient are your business management skills?

Have you researched your market and prepared a business plan?

How well do you market yourself?

How much capital do you have to back yourself?

Are you aware of all the overheads involved in setting up in such a business and the consequent price per image? (This includes Insurance, Gear, Studio access or ownership, Transport, Computers etc.)

What quality are you images? (You can post some here for C&C)

Are you proficient in the requisite technical aspects of photography, post-production and printing?

These question are roughly in the order of importance. The lack of ability to express yourself clearly could be an impediment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I love taking photographs
    you love taking your own photos - the main 'artistic' question to face up to is will you love taking other peoples' photos over and over? even if the popular style is one you don't care for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Susandublin

Fair play on doing what you love- too many people exist in a career out of fear of the unknown. Try not to be turned off your Dream by negativity.
    I would advise dipping the toe into the water and do impart time it weekends initially - you could get a basic website set up and a few Google ads - if successful do the first few shoots at break even so you can build your portfolio - in no time you'll have referrels, a name and be doing something you love.
    Pick a niche that interests you and go with it- think babies is most commercial, always get parents spending a few quid on images.
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

CabanSail wrote: »
    The lack of ability to express yourself clearly could be an impediment.

Harsh but true.

Lots and lots of people looooove photography, and taking photos of just about everything and everyone.

To me, the qualities that seem to set apart those eaking out a reasonable living from photography and weekend warriors and dreamers like myself are business acumen, confidence, tenacity and people skills.

Very little to do with an 'eye' - all the skill and experience is learned and gained through creating opportunities for yourself via the above.

It really takes commitment too, for many people the sacrifice of weekends, evenings and uncertainty of work just wouldn't be for them.

Also, i think you need to prove you can do something well before you can charge people for it. OP you have said you have no or very little portfolio, what have you being taking pictures of so? You can't charge someone €100 to practice taking pictures of their child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

eoglyn wrote: »
    It really takes commitment too, for many people the sacrifice of weekends, evenings and uncertainty of work just wouldn't be for them.

I think its more then just commitment, its a way of life. Coming from a family of photographers ( i'm not trying to sound like an arrogant self entitled little sh1t) but its the case I grew up in a studio and stock agency. So I've been around it for 33 years. My dad was always working, I shot all day to day and I'm still preparing images for stock agencies i shot a week ago. Its a case of sitting a computer as much as your out shooting.

I spent 4 years assisting, and recently transcended to working for my self. Its tough its one of the toughest industries out there to brake. There s huge sense of responsibility to provide sharp well produced images but not only that you have to take on people who already have a reputation. Worse still work in conditions that you can't control...

There's so much noise on face book a everyone's out there trying to be heard and seen, dropping their prices charging cheaper. If their dropping your prices that cheep how are they making money on it? Personally I try to avoid it. i stick to my guns Ill shoot pack shots, wedding, stock, baby/children photos and portraits, if I'm asked to do something I will.

People are all about the praise ahhh look Davids pictures there lovely... But the Joe soap or public don't generally know what there talking about when it comes to photography its and art a craft that you have to be willing to sink every penny into. and Hope that luck catches you. Its all about luck and horribly, who you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

I think its more then just commitment, its a way of life.

didn't mean to downplay it - absolutely, that is what i was getting at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

eoglyn wrote: »
    didn't mean to downplay it - absolutely, that is what i was getting at

I know, I was just extending it for the op :) in terms off how much commitment it takes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

If you love taking photos as a hobby.... as soon as you set up a business and do it to make a living, its often the case that you may stop loving it.

Photography is a business for me, I started to live taking photos after I started making a living from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Its a tough business to get started in. From our own experience there is a huge difference between taking photos that people love and them paying you to do it.

You can take the route of starting it as a business from the get-go and throwing yourself into it headlong by getting recognise qualifications, doing up a business plan, getting the business registered,funded and get a premises to work out of (you will need a studio for portraits, family and Animal shots) or you can dip your feet into the waters by offering your services to people you know for discounted prices and as you go, add to your portfolio and build a name for yourself. You wont actually make any money the latter for sure, you will spend more then you earn but it will give you the confidence to actually go and do the former.

Advertisement