Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Evo Petrol Scooter

• 28-01-2015 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

I am thinking about getting one of these as a shuttle vehicle for a walking trip
    http://www.muckandfun.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39&Itemid=40
    In short, I am planning to make a long distance walk in the UK next summer with the wife and kids. It'll be about 10 days with each day taking a cross country hike
    from one town to another along the route.
    The plan is to take a Motorhome and, at the start of each day, drop the bike at the end of the day's walk before driving back to the start with the van and setting off on foot.
    Having arrived at the destination, I could then use the bike to return to pick up the van and repeat the process the following day.
    The return trip should be no more than 10 or 15 miles on country roads.
    The small size of the bike means it can be put into one of the luggage compartments in the van and there are no weight issues.
    A full size bike isn't an option as this would mean buying a proper motorbike rack or else towing a trailer.

Thing is I've never seen a petrol scooter in the fflesh and I'm wondering whether it would be up to the job?
    Has anybody any experience of these bikes or any advice to offer?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Do a quick google search on that company before you deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Do a quick google search on that company before you deal with them.

Interesting thread on biker.ie :eek:;) Thanks.

But looking at the product itself (I used the first link I found that showed a picture of the bike and wasn't thinking of who might supply it) is it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Get a monkey bike if you want something road legal and transportable. Or a bicycle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

better off with a mountain bike imo - no tax or insurance quandaries..

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Get a monkey bike if you something road legal and transportable. Or a bicycle!

I'd love a monkey bike in addition to the bikes I already have, if I could justify the cost or find some means of easily transporting it - I'd need to spend the most of a grand on a motorcycle transport rack and rear axle spring upgrade to take the extra weight ( I'm near the limit as it is for the rear axle and we'll be setting off fully loaded to continue on to the continent after the UK)

Wossack wrote: »
    better off with mountain bike imo - no tax or insurance quandaries..

Thanks - I already have four mountain bikes on a rack on the back of the van. I just don't fancy a ten or fifteen mile cycle at the end of a full day's hillwalking.

Cheers,
    SeamusG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    I am thinking about getting one of these as a shuttle vehicle for a walking trip
    http://www.muckandfun.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39&Itemid=40
    In short, I am planning to make a long distance walk in the UK next summer with the wife and kids. It'll be about 10 days with each day taking a cross country hike
    from one town to another along the route.
    The plan is to take a Motorhome and, at the start of each day, drop the bike at the end of the day's walk before driving back to the start with the van and setting off on foot.
    Having arrived at the destination, I could then use the bike to return to pick up the van and repeat the process the following day.
    The return trip should be no more than 10 or 15 miles on country roads.
    The small size of the bike means it can be put into one of the luggage compartments in the van and there are no weight issues.
    A full size bike isn't an option as this would mean buying a proper motorbike rack or else towing a trailer.

Thing is I've never seen a petrol scooter in the fflesh and I'm wondering whether it would be up to the job?
    Has anybody any experience of these bikes or any advice to offer?
    Thanks in advance.

AFAIK they are illegal for road use here and since you aren't UK resident you can't register it there, so you can't legally use in on the roads in the UK. For the money you're spending on that you'd get a nice battery assisted bike

Del2005 wrote: »
    AFAIK they are illegal for road use here and since you aren't UK resident you can't register it there, so you can't legally use in on the roads in the UK. For the money you're spending on that you'd get a nice battery assisted bike

Food for thought there. I had assumed they were road legal. If not then there's not much point. Off now to look at battery assisted bikes!
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What about a 48cc engine on a mountain bike.
    There's a lad locally that's flying around the place all the time.
    No tax or insurance.

blade1 wrote: »
    No tax or insurance.

Sounds good. I'm intrigued. Any more details?

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Sounds good. I'm intrigued. Any more details?

I'm sure some of the lads on here will know more than me but from what I gather you buy the kit for around €250.

If I meet the lad near me I'll ask him about it.

• Advertisement

I'm sure some of the lads on here will know more than me but from what I gather you buy the kit for around €250.

If I meet the lad near me I'll ask him about it.

Thanks Blade. Really appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Tax and insurance prob required - only pedal assisted bicycles are exempt AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No tax or insurance.

Totally illegal.

Scrap the cap!

Wossack wrote: »
    Tax and insurance prob required - only pedal assisted bicycles are exempt AFAIK

That's what I thought but the lad near me told me because it was under 49cc it was exempt.
    He was up and down the street day and night every day.

Totally illegal.

I don't know if it is or it isn't but if it is illegal,I'm baffled how he managed to bomb around and not get any hassle from the guards as you wouldn't get away with a sneaky fart in the town near me.

Doesn't matter if it's 4.9cc. If it has an engine it's a mechanically propelled vehicle, so needs type approval, motor tax, insurance, VRT, number plate, helmet.

Scrap the cap!

Doesn't matter if it's 4.9cc. If it has an engine it's a mechanically propelled vehicle, so needs type approval, motor tax, insurance, VRT, number plate, helmet.

I was just reading something there about them that said they fall into the category of mechanically assisted vehicles,have pedals and as long as they are pedalled first are exempt.

F*ck it, I'm going sticking a set of pedals on the ZZR!!!:pac:

What something were you reading there?

Scrap the cap!

What something were you reading there?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71856061

A man with something to sell, talking through his hoop.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

A man with something to sell, talking through his hoop.

And the lad near me also.
    Jesus, they're all at it so!

Do all the motorbike insurers insure them once you sort them out properly?
    How does that even go?
    You ring up Carol Nash,
    They say "sure,what make/model?,
    You say'Raleigh Chopper'
    They say "we'll just check our list there....yep here it is Raleigh Chopper, €140 please!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't know if it is or it isn't but if it is illegal,I'm baffled how he managed to bomb around and not get any hassle from the guards as you wouldn't get away with a sneaky fart in the town near me.

When I was doing some training we stopped in a town for lunch. I saw an old one on a Cub 90 cruising past the cop shop with her blue rinse flowing, didn't look like it was the first day she'd been out. Our Gardaí aren't the people to be basing what's legal and illegal for road use on.
    And the lad near me also.
    Jesus, they're all at it so!

Do all the motorbike insurers insure them once you sort them out properly?
    How does that even go?
    You ring up Carol Nash,
    They say "sure,what make/model?,
    You say'Raleigh Chopper'
    They say "we'll just check our list there....yep here it is Raleigh Chopper, €140 please!.

They don't insure them as they most likely aren't road legal. As said once it has an engine it needs to be registered and only bicycles with a top speed of <25km/h, this could be totally wrong but there is some restriction, which are electical pedal assisted are legal without any licence or insurance requirements, though I've seen people with their feet up drive past our useless law enforcers with no helmets or reg plate.

Advertisement