Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child 44

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

An excellent choice. My son has been ragging me about this trailer and
    going to see it in the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Great book. Very curious as to how they bring this to screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yes yes yes - i said after reading the books that they'd make a great movie! That trailer looks epic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Is this going to be a trilogy? Loved the first one, other 2 were only OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You'd think it would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭Red Wolf

Books are great, potential to be very good flicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

whats the story with this film? A really solid cast yet the film has got feck all promotion, its out this weekend and its only got a few showings....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Zombienosh wrote: »
    whats the story with this film? A really solid cast yet the film has got feck all promotion, its out this weekend and its only got a few showings....

The film is on for 2hrs 35 mins if you add in trailers and ads, so unlike Fast and Furious 7 or Avengers. the cinemas won't be going out of their way to show more screenings cause more then likely ain't going to bring in a large audience.

The Trailer for the film played over three or films I went to see in the last two or three weeks and Cineworld have the posters up, its got a decent push. I don't think the film is been released in the States yet, so you won't see a ton of promotion from the a lot of the main cast until then (sure Tom Hardy is doing a film right now and so are one or two others). You might have one or two actors doing interviews over the next two days or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Awful adaption, scenes are just thrown together so the story has no flow to it. It's miserable to watch, it could've done with a bit of lightness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It was ok, I guess. The film is so heavy, and it tries to weave in so many sub plots that go nowhere, it ends up feeling weird, and theres some character which could have easily been written out, Oldman's character in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭lillian770

Have seen it yesterday. Tom Hardy's performance was poor. I don't think he is suitable for this role. He looked more like a thug, rather than soviet army officer. He could play some kind of doggy Russian gangster, but certainly not an army officer. Accents - well it was a bit funny, as well as Hardy's appearance. Most of the time he was wearing uniform with "Hero of the Soviet Union" medal, which was the highest honorary title that could be given to both Soviet civilians and soldiers for a heroic act. In some scenes it looked like medal was worn upside down :). Well, perhaps it was me who was paying too much attention, or perhaps the director of this movie did not hire the right people to get historical facts straight :)

Overall the movie is quite captivating. It presents the terror, which was imposed by Stalin's regime in a very powerful way. You will be able to get a good idea of what it was like to live in a country where your neighbour could have reported you and the very next day your whole family would have been arrested. The movie depicts the country where interrogations and paranoid obsession with foreign spies have reached unimaginable levels. Dilemma of self preservation vs preservation of lives of people you love is very common in this movie. Life of one woman vs lives of three other people. What would you choose?

I did not read the novel, but it seems like it is a good book. Lots of complex ideas packed into one small story. I would recommend this movie to everybody who likes crime thrillers with rather scary and very captivating historical plot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Bit of a weird mish-mash of a film, far too long and very very bleak.

I though Hardy was excellent in it though, really brought humanity to the role and it was a great insight into Stalin era Russia.
    Rapace while decent was probably miscast but it was a good turn from Kinnaman.

Some of the accents were awful alright, Clarke and Dance in particular slipped in and out.

Probably a 4/10 and a renter.

I'm shocked by Critics and people thinking this was poor, I'm a very picky person but I have to disagree here. I really loved the film from start to finish, not a classic by any means but a lot better then the critics and a few others on here are saying. Disagree with a few people saying Tom Hardy was poor, I thought he was excellent. Gary Oldman gave a good solid performance and Joel Kinnaman was a very good villain. The fight on the train was brutal too. I loved the slow build as well.

The flaws, Jason Clarke and Vincent Cassel were slightly wasted. The First 20 minutes could have been cut down for the running time. Noomi Rapace was slightly miscast (Alicia Vikander would have been a better choice) and Paddy Considine role and character could have been given more depth and time.

Not a classic but I would buy this on DVD as I thought it was a very good solid thriller. I haven't read the book maybe that's why I enjoyed this more then many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Shandashey

Was expecting a lot more. Love Hardy, and will watch anything he is in, however, even he couldn't save this film for me. It was only OK, far too long & the ending should have been a tear jerker for me, but I found myself not really caring to be honest

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I thought the pace was quite slow but deliberately slow to help sell the constant fear and guardedness of most of the characters. The main plotline took a good while to get going, but was well handled once it got started, IMO. And I thought Hardy was pretty good, though his accent wasn't quite as good as his rendition of "Welshman with a cold" in Locke.

I have no idea about the finer details of the historical authenticity, mind you - I can understand how that would irk you if you were very familiar with them. Nor have I read the books, so I couldn't say whether it's a faithful adaptation or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm a bit of a fan of Russian history so this caught my eye. It's received a but of a thrashing on IMDB but ye'd recommend it?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NerdyRadio

Was going to see this, this week. Not sure I'll bother now. Do you think it's worth it? Any other recommendations instead?

I'm a bit of a fan of Russian history so this caught my eye. It's received a but of a thrashing on IMDB but ye'd recommend it?

I recommend it, I thought it was a very solid thriller with some great performances. Could have done with a little trimming here and there but nothing you would regret seen imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I... really liked this. I was worried that it would be a brainless action flick with Russian accents. The performances were good as was the story but my favourite aspect by far was the fact that the setting was always at the forefront, eg something as simple as obtaining a train ticket being a hassle because of Soviet surveillance laws at the time.
    Does anyone remember what Tom Hardy said to Gary Oldman to get him onside? I missed that bit annoyingly.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Found this very enjoyable. Hugely underrated movie imo with good performances from Hardy and Oldman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Just watched this, my god its awful :( I had such high hopes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

gonna watch this tonight. hopefully the comment above mine is how i WONT feel about it. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I thought it was decent, the pacing hurts it badly though. You'd swear that it was chopped to pieces in the editing room.

The acting was perhaps its strongest attribute. Kinnamon played a slippery rat surprisingly well.

Advertisement