Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish adverts depicting men as stupid and women as clever

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Not an ad but any one with kids that watch Pepa Pig, my jaysus they make daddy pig out to be a right gobsh**e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't notice them to be honest. The one thing I did notice last year was feminists judging a scientist who landed a probe on a comet based on what he wore. That ended any respect I had for a lot of accusations of sexisim in developed countries for me. A lot of it is people having a whinge IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Pay no attention. When another user said pretty much what he just did here, on another thread discussing the same topic, he had a go at them:

He also had this to say in the same thread:

Would appear now that his opinion has changed. Ah well.

Read my posts again. Then do it again. Then again. Then try to grasp the points being made in each. Then try to see if you can wrap your head how they are not contradictory. Then have yourself a well deserved sit. Then have another bash at the whole manning the **** up concept. There's a good kitten.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't notice them to be honest. The one thing I did notice last year was feminists judging a scientist who landed a probe on a comet based on what he wore. That ended any respect I had for a lot of accusations of sexisim in developed countries for me. A lot of it is people having a whinge IMHO.

*see my avatar* ;)
    spikeS wrote: »
    Man up is an extremely sexist term. Stop using it
    No. And no it's not. To help you with your "sexist" "trigger warnings", maybe "grow a spine" is easier for you to take? Though I doubt it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

"Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and
    sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take
    a pounding."

Attributed to Betty White.

remember this one from Done Deal ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KclqAe21MfE

Now reverse sex's ....

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

spikeS wrote: »
    Man up is an extremely sexist term. Stop using it
    They can't help it. Mother nature at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

strobe wrote: »
    Read my posts again. Then do it again. Then again. Then try to grasp the points being made in each. Then try to see if you can wrap your head how they are not contradictory. Then have yourself a well deserved sit. Then have another bash at the whole manning the **** up concept. There's a good kitten.

There's no need to read those posts again, but I have done just to be sure and as pointed out, you quite clearly took issue with one user that in your mind was implying that it would an effeminate act to make a complaint about such adverts and also with another for suggesting that the reason men might not report sexist adverts as much as their female counterparts was because they were subject to some kind of code of manliness (pbvious inference being made that men perceive that to do so would be an effeminate act on their part and so decline).

Yet here you are on this thread telling men to 'man up' for discussing the very same issue and whether you are willing to accept it or not, you of course are implying that the men you addressed were being effeminate and/or lacking manliness for daring to post condemnation of these ads. Don't play coy. You know well what you were inferring, which, as I pointed out, was the very thing you took issue with on the other thread: users suggesting complainers are being effeminate.

If you just mean that men should 'toughen up', fine, but say that and that alone. As by adding the term 'man-up' to your little rant, you just come across as suggesting that men on the thread who are denouncing these ads are not quite being masculine enough in your eyes.

tl:dr

Quit using that term 'man-up' as it means something which you don't seem willing to accept it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Rather then argue in a silly he said, she said type of thing, why not use this thread as a platform to create a list of offending adverts and start a collective lobbying of complaints to the advertising bodies that regulate such adverts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Actually I'm not sure complaining to the ASAI or whoever is necessarily the way to go. Companies making ads like these do not use the "stupid man" trope because they want to offend men but because years of research into the demographic buying their product tells them that their target market will respond positively to these messages & be more likely to purchase the good/service. Getting rapped over the knuckles publically by the ASAI is not necessarily a bad thing for companies, as it can make their brand seem edgy & irreverent. If a company believed however that sales would drop due to a reaction to an ad they would drop that ad extremely quickly. If you are annoyed at companies who use this style of advertising don't buy their products & consider telling others to do the same. That's a far more effective action than simply whining about being offended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Even Barry Scott from Cillit Bang is portrayed as a half wit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I always notice in adverts about children that the father doesn't exist in the family and the tagline "Mums know best / Mums agree" slapped on them.

I like to imagine the dad went for a pack of smokes and never returned / ran off with the child's teacher :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I also just realised I haven't see an ad for Yorkie in years. Their slogan used to be "it's not for girls". I'm guessing it was banned.

It's more that they couldn't use that slogan since the Yorkie got the Shrink Treatment. A more honest tag-line would be "doesn't take up much room in the handbag, and has fewer calories".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Snickers had to drop the 'get some nuts' campaign when they took it too far with Mr.T. telling a gay man to get some nuts and calling him a "disgrace to the man race".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

How do you know the man in the ad was gay? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Even Barry Scott from Cillit Bang is portrayed as a half wit

If you rearrange the letters in Cilit bang you can spell "I bang Clit" so the whole thing is inherently sexist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Cripes, that "done deal" ad!!! If that were a man putting a woman up for sale, just IMAGINE the storm!!

Secondly, @Custardpi
    You wrote "Companies making ads like these do not use the "stupid man" trope because they want to offend men but because years of research into the demographic buying their product tells them that their target market will respond positively to these messages & be more likely to purchase the good/service. Getting rapped over the knuckles publically by the ASAI is not necessarily a bad thing for companies, as it can make their brand seem edgy & irreverent."

This is true: that is exactly why tabloid newspapers used to put a pretty girl with tits showing on page 3: so that men - who usually enjoy looking at such sights - would buy the paper.
    Actually, I can't see much wrong with that reasoning, but it caused a huge amount of squinty-eyed tut-tutting in many sectors and the papers have now stopped doing it. Apparently it's rude to women.

Just like this ad is rude to men:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeC0O9akIVU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

katemarch wrote: »
    This is true: that is exactly why tabloid newspapers used to put a pretty girl with tits showing on page 3: so that men - who usually enjoy looking at such sights - would buy the paper.
    Actually, I can't see much wrong with that reasoning, but it caused a huge amount of squinty-eyed tut-tutting in many sectors and the papers have now stopped doing it. Apparently it's rude to women.

I think page 3 stopping was just a publicity stunt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Custardpi wrote: »
    Actually I'm not sure complaining to the ASAI or whoever is necessarily the way to go. Companies making ads like these do not use the "stupid man" trope because they want to offend men but because years of research into the demographic buying their product tells them that their target market will respond positively to these messages & be more likely to purchase the good/service. Getting rapped over the knuckles publically by the ASAI is not necessarily a bad thing for companies, as it can make their brand seem edgy & irreverent. If a company believed however that sales would drop due to a reaction to an ad they would drop that ad extremely quickly. If you are annoyed at companies who use this style of advertising don't buy their products & consider telling others to do the same. That's a far more effective action than simply whining about being offended.

Perhaps contacting the ASAI might not help, but it would be actually doing something about anti-male sexism, which many here like to see everywhere.

Of course boycotting a product will have a reaction, but boycotting alone, without informing the company is useless. ASAI judgements will alert others to the fact that it is possible to complain about an ad and have the advertisers taken to task about it. If hotelscombined suddenly see a drop in visits to their site, they would have to be psychic to connect it with their crap ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I've had enough of this. I've seen it a lot over the years. The latest one is the bloke who is acting like Gollum from Lord Of The Rings. He's logged on to about ten laptops researching the cheapest hotel prices. Then his clever wife says "just go to Hotels Combined.ie". He is hanging upside down at one stage as well, a bit like a baboon. There are also other adverts like this.
    If the boot was on the other foot, there would be WAR

"Irish adverts depciting men as stupid and women as clever": But isn't that because it's true????? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Most ads don't come across to me as overly sexist. They just target certain markets. But this its4women drives me beserk. Katie Taylors dreary voice is bad enough, without her going on about how amazing women and and they its4women sell insurance especial my for women. Can you imagine 5 famous men rambling on about how great men are and then advertising insurance especially for men? My God there would be an outbreak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

On the other side of it look at these ****e adverts - every one of them is a woman, as apparently men never clean around the house. Load of bs.:rolleyes:

pause that ad at 10 seconds.

went to see dave gorman live before Christmas, where he pointed out what was blatantly obvious. there's a great big cock and balls in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

My daughters a toy ironing board and a kitchen set for Xmas, amongst other things. They were delighted. My nephew got a power rangers outfit.
    This is societies expectation of genders, we are powerless to stop it.
    Every advert on TV is influencing us and telling us who we are and what to do, its an irish thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Facepalm alert: in the following video the female head of an insurance company talks about one of these sexist commercials and keeps referring to the male driving style portrayed in it as being "typical" for men and so as a result women can relate to it, hence the commercial (which won some prestigious award it would seem).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

This happens everywhere - woman resourceful in the home and at work, making choices for the family when shopping while dad is an idiot to be laughed at or the subject of pity.

And after all that brown nosing, you still won't be getting any.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

4 pages in and no one has posted the simplest solution.

Record everything that's got ads in it, and use the fast forward button. Saves so much angst!

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Wibbs wrote: »
    And the number one reason? Women are the market being targeted, simply because they make the majority of household purchase choices on average and they're more likely to buy into it too. After all they've been groomed for it for generations with fashion and guff* designed to make them feel inadequate so they feel the need to buy ever more crap to offset that(Men are more targeted with the "Authentic" buzzword which is equally crap in 99% of cases). The "daft man" thing is just an easy sop for the sheep among said demographic to engender ideas of empowerment. I'd not be too non plussed about it TBH. What such ads are actually saying is women(tm) buy into this guff, so that's the guff we'll promote.

*you're too old, fat, ugly with bad hair, buy our product and you'll be saved, for this "season" at least. Oh and in case you spot this, we'll wheel out the you're a "real woman" nonsense. Here comes the science bit and all that shíte. I reckon women(tm) are more vulnerable to this kinda thing as they're more socially aware and peer based than men and from an earlier age too. There's generally more "fitting in" going on, so the thought of not fitting in is felt more keenly in women than in men. Again and obviously as a very general vibe.

This. I reckon ads are more insulting to the target market than to any groups they stereotype while trying to sell to them.

E.g. I think men should be more upset that advertisers seem to think men are stupid enough to buy anything if enough boobs are included in the ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

@Montgolfier
    "Every advert on TV is influencing us and telling us who we are and what to do, its an irish thing. "

-- a curious claim: don't they have advertising in other countries too? Also trying to sell by any means, including appeals to gender stereotypes? Cripes, just see American programmes *eye roll*

Advertisement