Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do parents seriously do this

Options
  • 29-01-2015 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi, I remember being friends with this guy before so she showed me this notebook his mother and father kept detailing everything they ever bought for hisr from birth until then, he had a part time job but he would have to pay money every week for the expenses of his childhood and growing up etc... is this normal to some people or wtf?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Im not a parent but I don't need to be to know that is seriously messed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Is his mother Mrs Skinner from the Simpsons?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Imagine that! I'd be moving out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,405 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not a parent, but I always thought those things were done out of love?

From a purely cold and legal point of view, he could refuse to pay anything back as he never entered into any agreement with them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Not a parent, but I always thought those things were done out of love?

From a purely cold and legal point of view, he could refuse to pay anything back as he never entered into any agreement with them.

Nothing loving about totting up childhood debts - I mean seriously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

No, its not normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Hi, I remember being friends with this guy before so she showed me this notebook his mother and father kept detailing everything they ever bought for hisr from birth until then, he had a part time job but he would have to pay money every week for the expenses of his childhood and growing up etc... is this normal to some people or wtf?

Yes this is perfectly normal, I have been paying my parents back for 14 years now, only 26 more years to go as I ate a lot, however they are very generous because they do not charge me interest.
    I plan on being equally generous to my own children by not charging them baby sitter fees (only if babysitter is for a social occasion of our choosing of course)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

mmmm,

yeah right.

OP cant decide of friend was male of female. I call BS. move on

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I knew one girl in secondary school whose parents did this.

Never heard any other instances. Her folks were mean and scanty. Not short of money bit hated spending anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭hagoonabear

sorry typing off my phone, hate these touch screens but honest to god it was no joke, his mother even showed me it proudly as the other son who lived in USA sent home monthly cheques. they were farming people all about the land and money if that makes any sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭The Humble Sausage

nothing short of abnormal! being sensible with money and understanding the value of everything is a good trait to impart upon a child, but this doesn't teach anything except the price of everything, or put another way, how to be a scab. Also, everyone i know who's a scab is almost always the son/daughter of a scab.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is not the 1st time that I have heard of it but I think it is cold and heartless and far from normal.
    To an extend I can understand keeping a tally to see how exactly how much it costs to raise a child,but expecting him to pay for it is awful.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

sorry typing off my phone, hate these touch screens but honest to god it was no joke, his mother even showed me it proudly as the other son who lived in USA sent home monthly cheques. they were farming people all about the land and money if that makes any sense

And the fcuked-up thinking follows through to the next generation...:rolleyes:

I think its disgusting, and tbh, when the time comes they'll likely be shunted into a badly run nursing home, ignored and die alone while the sons divide up the land between them because the only thing that they've taught their kids is that money means more than love. As the old saying goes 'there's no pockets in a shroud'

I have absolutely no idea what we have spent on our child. But I do know that the happiness he has brought into our lives when he joined our family cant be quantified in monetary terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

A parent has a legal obligation to provide for their child. It's why non-custodial parents can be court ordered to pay maintainence if they don't come to an agreement themselves with the custodial parent. The parents are taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

This is wrong. Even if for only the following reason; the child doesn't decide what toy their parent buys. So you're asking for repayment of purchases that were not authorised.

Theorically this person should be able to go through the book and declare "I never really played with that toy, I'd have been okay without it so I'm not paying you back for that."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Seriously that is fcuked up. I'd never dream of doing that. Where is the love? It makes it sound like parenting is a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

WTF

Its a choice to have children, neither a right nor compulsory and if you choose to have children you pay for their upbringing. Children dont ask to be born never mind being faced with a financial debt for their childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I see nothing wrong with keeping a record of all associated costs, but asking / expecting the child to pay it back in any way is complete lunacy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We kinda have this record... as in, we track our bank and credit card records and divide the items into categories of expenditure. Me, husband, transport, children's stuff etc. We keep the records so we have an idea of where our money is going, and so we can budget for things like holidays or a car.

Don't think I'd ever ask them to pay it back, unless we wanted to teach some sort of financial lesson to a child who was going way off the rails once they had an income.

I would ask them to contribute to household once earning, and stick it in an account until they had a bit of sense. If there was a barney about contribution, I could see myself pulling out the records and saying "what about this lot". Slightly evil!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Never heard of that! Never even considered it.... But now that I have heard of it, I'm off to buy a notebook!!

Seriously?? Does he still live at home? Does he pay household expenses as well as his "debt"? The brother in America sends cheques home??

What would happen if they refused to pay?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Maybe if the parents kept a little budget aside for condoms they wouldn't be so out of pocket. They sound wretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Hmmm with little info on things like motive - whether they were trying to make the kids see the level of responsibility of having family, value to money, contributing to the household when employed even part time, maybe their folks did it to them and it was seen as their norm and so on but it is a hell of a way to make the children feel like a total burden. They may have meant well but made a balls of it.

For curiosity myself and my sister guestimated how much we cost our folks with just education and general costs like travel to Uni, accomodation, not throwing in christmas presents to nappies and it was very a sobering amount of cash. Could buy a new house with it and not post boom slump house prices...best motivation ever for contraception use!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

No and both parents sound they like they have quite serious psychiatric problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Miserated oul' hoors. They'll leave it all after them in the end.
    Fine decent thing to not bother spending money on kids in first place but this is just another insight into some peoples obsession with money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

These people choose to bring a new life into the world and then go onto charge their child, who had no choice in being born, for the cost of raising them...interesting logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mr. J

These folk are just mad in the head. Simple as that! Mad in the head.

I imagine these people are in the 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
    % of people to have ever acted in this bizarre fashion.

I certainly can't imagine any of the other millions of species both living and extinct acting this weird manner. Definitely mad in the head.

I'm just wondering, do you tack on the cost of the pre natal care or do you swallow that cost?.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

ken wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, do you tack on the cost of the pre natal care or do you swallow that cost?.

And, did they put any money in as a benefit based on all pleasure they had riding each other like rabbits before the babies came along?

Did they put any money in as a benefit for all the enjoyment the sons gave them through the years?

• Advertisement

Anyone can write anything in a notebook. I'd be demanding receipts for everything.

Advertisement