Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do parents seriously do this

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I was thinking about this last night and in fact most parents strive to do the opposite and set up savings accounts for their kids that they put money when they can afford it. I'll admit that if they day comes that he is a working adult living at home I will expect him to pay me something to cover his costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

The only good reason to do this is too make the grown up kids/adults realise what their parents did for them growing up. I know i didn't realise and being a parent Now i know i took them for granted.
    It's staggering the amount of stuff children get these days sometimes even when it nearly can't be afforded.
    But asking for pay back is a bit to much.

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I think most parents would see that as reasonable iguana. But the brother in America sending home cheques to pay them off??

Just out of interest, what's the total amount they "owe"? Are they expected to pay the full amount over a certain amount of years? Will the day come where they don't owe anymore? Or do they spend the rest of their lives paying installments to their parents?

Are Christmas presents included? Do they bill guests who come to visit for the price of a teabag and a sandwich?!

What miserable people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Hi, I remember being friends with this guy before so she showed me this notebook his mother and father kept detailing everything they ever bought for hisr from birth until then, he had a part time job but he would have to pay money every week for the expenses of his childhood and growing up etc... is this normal to some people or wtf?

Why didn't he/she burn the note book if they had it in their possession :rolleyes:
    Your story is badly thought out and badly written so I call baloney on this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

they were farming people all about the land and money if that makes any sense

No not really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

To be completely honest whenever I buy something for my son I get every bit as much, if not more, joy and excitement from them than he does. I love buying him lovely new clothes and seeing how damn adorable he looks in them or buying wool to make him nice things. I love buying his favourite foods and seeing him so happy eating them. I especially love buying him toys and books and seeing how happy he is to play with them/enjoy storytime with me. I love taking him to playcentres as seeing him have a great time is worth so much more than the entry fee. This morning I booked us a holiday in a holiday camp and I'm bursting with excitement at the thought of how much fun he'll have. Every last cent I spend on him is as much for me as for him because I love him and love taking care of him and making him happy.

Now I know all of that's easy at age 2 and that the day will come when he'll want some ridiculously priced item of fashionable clothes that I find bafflingly ugly and won't be happy to pay for. Or he'll want whatever the new technology is and we'll have battles about whether or not I'll buy it for him. Or I'll give him pocket money and he'll spend it on something infuriatingly stupid. So I won't always be so happy to spend money on him as I am now but even then it's still either my responsibility or my choice. And unless we have pre-agreed a system like 'you save half and I'll match the rest' for particular items, he won't owe me a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Haha, for the craic i note down the worst expenses our children cause us, but purely for our own entertainment (and potential blackmail when they are older, along with the poo-face pictures and other incriminating bits they provide us with) :D but i'm mean like that :P

So far we have the 700 quid in vets fees as no. 1 pulled the poor cat's tail and dislocated it, another 100 quid for a new satellite system as same child threw the remote in the bin on bin day, another 30 quid to replace another remote (same act, different child, will we ever learn?), the rest i'd have to look up :P

But keeping track in earnest and making the kids pay it back? That's just horrible, why bother having kids in the first place :( never forget, they will choose your old folks home...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Asarlai wrote: »
    And, did they put any money in as a benefit based on all pleasure they had riding each other like rabbits before the babies came along?

Did they put any money in as a benefit for all the enjoyment the sons gave them through the years?

These folks sound so miserable, I'd bet that they didn't enjoy the ride at all!

And they probably didn't take much pleasure from having children, either, if the till sounds were going off in their heads the whole time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Rather than money I'll get my payback on my kids with lots of embarrassing childhood photos on display at their 21st. Much more satisfaction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

haha, thats psychotic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

What vile people wtf did they have kids for then!

Advertisement