Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staffie dog hogtied and cooked alive over a fire at The Curragh

• 29-01-2015 1:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Just came across this story from the Journal.

Fair warning, he's cleaned up and alive in the photos so it's nothing graphic but it still isn't a pretty sight.

I'm not normally one for "I'd kill him" posts, but as the owner of a lovely Staffie who got an extra cuddle from me tonight when I read this, if I ever got my hands on the person who did this he'd have to be reassembled by air crash investigators.

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Shouldn't that be 'dogtied'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Hotdogs anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Honestly I'm more worried than angry when I read stories like this. Psychopathic serial killers usually start off with animals and progress to humans. It takes a seriously damaged mind to cause something like this and god only knows what this person will do next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Honestly I'm more worried than angry when I read stories like this. Psychopathic serial killers usually start off with animals and progress to humans. It takes a seriously damaged mind to cause something like this and god only knows what this person will do next.

Whoever did this is a danger to the community and needs to be locked up for the good of it - either in a jail or a mental asylum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yeah, read that earlier, heartbreaking that there are dickheads like that breathing the same air as the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I can't look. Is the dog alive?

And whoever did that to a dog needs to be locked up forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Whoever did this is a danger to the community and needs to be locked up for the good of it - either in a jail or a mental asylum

Preferrably a mental hospital. A person like this needs serious help and simply throwing them in a cell will do nothing. Having said that, there are some people who can never be helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

percy212 wrote: »
    Na, lived for a while but it's insides were cooked, poor wee mite.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

A bit woof to be sure

Jesus. The bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

Yeah, the puns are really funny in this instance lads... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Sparks43 wrote: »
    A bit woof to be sure

Fook off, was it you that did it?
    Not funny at all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

It's horrible if it's true.

The dog was certainly tied up, but do we really know this is the unusual punishment that was inflicted on him? Is it possible he was tied up and dumped near a fire? That he passed out with hypothermia? His injuries don't look nearly serious enough to actually have been hogroasted. There seems to be very little burned hair on the sides. Even if he were tied up, he would be able to trash and wrestle, why did so much of his skin avoid burns?

Something about this story doesn't seem right. The Journal are basing everything on the account of a volunteer, the Vet's opinion is coming to us third-hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Yeah, he's alive in the pictures and they aren't graphic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

He didn't make it.

How can you watch a dog or any animal whimpering in pain as you torture it. It takes a real psychopath.

As it was dying at the vets, it didn't have any hate towards humans, he was licking the vets or nurses hand.

Had me in tears.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

C'mon, that's honestly not even enough when you think about it. The kind of person capable of doing something like this is beyond help and should just be put down altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

There are some sick sadistic f*cks out there that get off on this. Anyone that does something like this to a defenseless animal, is deranged and should be treated accordingly. A lot will eventually move onto physically harming human beings.

Poor pooch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Sadly, the little Staffie passed away today, despite the veterinary team doing everything they could to save him. At the end, all they could do was make him comfortable.

Sounds like bull**** story. He would have been put down immediately.

I would of course prefer to beat that person to a pulp, but in order to avoid prison myself, locking them up and throwing away the key would suffice.
    C'mon, that's honestly not even enough when you think about it. The kind of person capable of doing something like this is beyond help and should just be put down altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Yeah, the puns are really funny in this instance lads... :rolleyes:

Checking back every few minutes to count their thanks..

This is not what Cloudwarrior intended.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

And these type of dogs get a reputation for being vicious.

Its the humans that are vicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

893bet wrote: »

Sounds like bull**** story. He would have been put down immediately.

That's what I would've thought too. Not the big picture here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I read about this earlier, I hate animal cruelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Should we start sending anyone who swats a fly or steps on a spider to prison for life too?

Whoever did this should be given a fine, community service and counselling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

K4t wrote: »
    Should we start sending anyone who swats a fly or steps on a spider to prison for life too?

No, start with people who torture animals.
    Something tells me this lad has seen his fair share of councilors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Simple minded comparison.

No, start with people who torture animals.
    Something tells me this lad has seen his fair share of councilors.
    No, force them to undergo a full psychological assessment and give them counselling. And fine them.
    Simple minded comparison.
    Simple minded is sending a person to prison for life for physical abuse of an animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If that story is accurate, the Gardai should pour a lot of resources and effort into finding the culprit. I know it'd never happen, but I'd like it to be treated as serious as a murder case to find this 'person'.

As vile and sickening a crime I've read about in a long time. If somebody is capable of that, they're a real threat to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No, force them to undergo a full psychological assessment and give them counselling. And fine them.

Simple minded is sending a person to prison for life for physical abuse of an animal.
    This wouldn't be a case of physical abuse though, it's sadistic torture resulting in death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Whats simple minded about that?If it was a person that he had hog tied and roasted alive would you want him locked up?

Animals feel pain just like humans do.If tough sentencing can prevent cruelty to them then its what should be done.

Im not a tree hugger type, but mindless cruelty like that is inexcusable.

Roasting a dog alive genuinely equates to swatting a fly in your eyes?

I feel sorry for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Jesus. The bastards.

Nothing to do with Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Deluded Oreo

I wonder if the culprit or culprits was/is part of certain "troublesome community"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There's emotions getting the better of people here There is a difference between killing people and killing animals. And while I get that animals are special to a lot of people, especially dogs, you can't honestly say it's the same as taking the life of a human being. You can't.

Perpetrators deserve jail time or a trip to a Mental Hospital. Lifed
    off though? Not a chance. Knee jerk stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Omackeral wrote: »
    There's emotions getting the better of people here There is a difference between killing people and killing animals. And while I get that animals are special to a lot of people, especially dogs, you can't honestly say it's the same as taking the life of a human being. You can't.

There is an extremely high correlation between animal abuse and violence and abuse against other humans. That's why its worrying.
    That said, I don't think the journal is particularly credible when it comes to animal cruelty stories. Facts are secondary to emotional responses. I have noticed that with a few stories now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Totally disagree. All person beliefs aside about killing animals, as many people have pointed out this was a safistic attack and serial killers are known to target animals first. IMO I wouldn't be suprised if it will matter in a few years who the person is hurting as ling as it's something alive. Animal or human.

I doubt counselling would even work on someone this far gone IMO. They are beyond the point of contemplation. It's hard to stop when you've already started.

My own personal opinion? I would save my dog over everybody except a handful of people, myself not included. And if anybody hurt her they would feel the full extent of my boots in their face. Without hesitation.

And while I get that animals are special to a lot of people, especially dogs, you can't honestly say it's the same as taking the life of a human being. You can't.

There's a lot of variables there. I wouldn't place every single human above every single animal. My dogs live a peaceful life and bring joy to a lot of people. Can't say that for the entire human population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I don't know what's more disturbing what happened to the dog or that a lot of posters are saying they would value the life of a dog more than most humans. Do people still openly preach violence against cats in after hours ? i have been away for a few years it used to be acceptable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

You are absolutely right, there is a difference. But in this case ,I can honestly say that i would value that dog's life over the absolute scum that did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

These types of stories affect me more than if it was a human who was hogtied over a fire. I don't know what is wrong with me but the thoughts of someone hurting/torturing a poor dumb animal just sicken me more than if I heard it happened to a human. I suppose its because animals are so defenseless.

I kicked my dog once & the poor little chap is dead since but I still feel guilty over it, I had him 11 years & in those 11 years of loving him & doing anything possible for him I still beat myself up over kicking him up the arse for getting sick on my thesis. It actually disturbs me to think that someone went to the trouble of planning this & then went & carried it out. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

No matter what the age of the perpetrator is, he/she deserves to be punished. Be it imprisonment, community service or a fine, I dont know. But there should be an animal offenders list as there is a sex offenders list due to the direct link from animal cruelty to violence against humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

**** me, that's a horrific act.

But as regards punishment, it's hard to call. Where do you draw the line? Cruelty to dogs, sure, everyone loves dogs, but what if it was a cat? A rabbit? A bag of hamsters? What about spiders? If that was a box of these guys?

Does that still warrant the life sentence some people are baying for?

How about finding out who it was, and their reasons for doing it? Then maybe decide on a punishment?

**** me, that's a horrific act.

But as regards punishment, it's hard to call. Where do you draw the line? Cruelty to dogs, sure, everyone loves dogs, but what if it was a cat? A rabbit? A bag of hamsters? What about spiders? If that was a box of these guys?

Does that still warrant the life sentence some people are baying for?

How about finding out who it was, and their reasons for doing it? Then maybe decide on a punishment?

Again with the comparisons to other animals. You're trying to reason that there comes a point when it's excusable to be a sadistic cnut, so may as well broaden the whole spectrum to all species?
    You can't form a mutual emotional relationship with insects like you can with the other animals you mentioned, dogs and cats especially.
    Having said that, if I met anyone torturing insects for the craic of it, I wouldn't ever associate with them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Indeed

A full force swing of a sledgehammer between the eyes would suffice in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

He was still trying to lick your hand – that’s the awful sad part, he’d forgive you, you know, it’s just very sad.

Ah jesus, that would bring tears to your eyes.

It's sadistic and whoever did this needs to be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Sick f*cking Scum who deserve to have their balls chopped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

Reading the article last night made me so angry that I would gladly stone to death the fcuker who did it. But I'm also sad knowing that a life that held so much promise at birth was cruelly wasted.

Roasting a dog alive genuinely equates to swatting a fly in your eyes?

I feel sorry for you.

Whats simple minded about that?If it was a person that he had hog tied and roasted alive would you want him locked up?

Animals feel pain just like humans do.If tough sentencing can prevent cruelty to them then its what should be done.

Im not a tree hugger type, but mindless cruelty like that is inexcusable.
    Hold on, so according to both of you and others, the life of a dog is more valuable than that of the lamb or a chicken or a pig or a fly or a spider (many of which we kill, torture and eat everyday) but you want similar punishments for abuse and torture of dogs as there are for humans? You are equating a dog's life to that of a human and therefore implying that all human life is not equal at the same time.

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Why people would have such ugly, ugly dogs is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

In the future scumbags like that will be psychologically evaluated at a very young age to determine their likelihood of committing such atrocities and if found to be suspect will be put into a brain dead state and then hooked up as an energy source for a computer or some such - at least that would give them some purpose, whereas at the moment they are nothing but an extreme liability on humanity and every other species on the planet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement