Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staffie dog hogtied and cooked alive over a fire at The Curragh

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

A disgraceful thing to happen, clearly the person who did this is a dangerous type of individual, a very unfortunate way for the dog to meet its end. However I think all Staffordshire's and PitBull's should be destroyed, but by humane means. They are a dangerous type of dog and my own father had an incident once by a Staffordshire belonging to tenants of my late Grandmother back in the mid 1990's, he knew the dog was dangerous and went to talk to the tenants about it but he took a stick and when the dog came charging to attack he literally cracked the stick off the dog before scrambling to safety inside the car, before he could even reach the house as the dog was roaming free.

The next door neighbors of the rented house had previously complained that they were afraid for their children's safety with that dog so that evening after the attempted attack the Staffordshire dog was dispatched cleanly by rifle. Naturally my grandmothers tenants went stone mad but they were told to like it or lump it, the went to the Gardai but the local Garda sided with our neighbours and us that it was better to kill the dog before it had a chance to maul a child or worse. My grandmother evicted them shortly after the dog incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

sup_dude wrote: »
    The thread isn't talking about chickens, or pigs or anything else. The thread is about a dog who was tortured. Why do you insist on taking away from that? Start another thread about chicks.

That's fine and I'll to leave it there but users where not just talking about this incident in a vacuum, they were condemning what happened in the broader context of animal abuse and my post was in direct response to the uses that did that. Considering the amount of animal abuse which the general public funds each and every day it is inevitable that the hypocrisy of selective empathy will be pointed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Stinicker wrote: »
    However I think all Staffordshire's and PitBull's should be destroyed, but by humane means.

Oh dear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

A disgraceful thing to happen, clearly the person who did this is a dangerous type of individual, a very unfortunate way for the dog to meet its end. However I think all Staffordshire's and PitBull's should be destroyed, but by humane means. They are a dangerous type of dog and my own father had an incident once by a Staffordshire belonging to tenants of my late Grandmother back in the mid 1990's, he knew the dog was dangerous and went to talk to the tenants about it but he took a stick and when the dog came charging to attack he literally cracked the stick off the dog before scrambling to safety inside the car, before he could even reach the house as the dog was roaming free.

The next door neighbors of the rented house had previously complained that they were afraid for their children's safety with that dog so that evening after the attempted attack the Staffordshire dog was dispatched cleanly by rifle. Naturally my grandmothers tenants went stone mad but they were told to like it or lump it, the went to the Gardai but the local Garda sided with our neighbours and us that it was better to kill the dog before it had a chance to maul a child or worse. My grandmother evicted them shortly after the dog incident.

seriously and with all respect, just do the world a favour and stick your ignorance of the breed up your hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

So, stranger brings a weapon to someones house, and a dog attacks said stranger? What if he hadn't been the landlords son, but an intruder with an axe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Most staffys are perfectly normal, safe dogs.

You will obviously get exceptions to that, mainly due to a poor upbringing. You could say the same about any dog though. Letting an isolated experience cloud your judgement on the entire staffy breed is very shortsighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

I still cant get my head around it..The poor little doggy what goes through these peoples minds to do something like this, its just sadistic and pure evil..

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

hopefully the vermin responsible will be caught and locked up in a secure facility

But they wont be!!. They will get a slap on the wrist and probably a ban from owning animals but that will be all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

However I think all Staffordshire's and PitBull's should be destroyed, but by humane means.

Already not off to a good start by showing you clearly don't quite understand the nature vs nurture argument. And have no empathy towards some animal
    he knew the dog was dangerous and went to talk to the tenants about it but he took a stick and when the dog came charging to attack he literally cracked the stick off the dog before scrambling to safety inside the car

Ok, let me just see if I understand your point here, your grandfather entered a property which was guarded by this dog with a weapon. For the sole purpose of doing harm to the dog if anything happened. The dog sees the weapon, presumes that it, or it's owner, are in danger and lashes out. Your grandfather then, instead of fleeing as the dog clearly had not actually touched him yet, hits the dog with a stick and them flees?

TBH if it was my dog that your grandfather did that to I would have turned the stick on him. Coming to my he with a weapon? Which you clearly state was the sole purpose of the stick.
    that evening after the attempted attack the Staffordshire dog was dispatched cleanly by rifle. Naturally my grandmothers tenants went stone mad but they were told to like it or lump it

By your grandfather? He shot someone's dog without informing them in any way or going through legal channels? Which is illegal by the way. And then your grandmother abused her power as a land lord to get them to stop complaining.

• Advertisement

Lau2976 wrote: »
    Already not off to a good start by showing you clearly don't quite understand the nature vs nurture argument. And have no empathy towards some animal

Ok, let me just see if I understand your point here, your grandfather entered a property which was guarded by this dog with a weapon. For the sole purpose of doing harm to the dog if anything happened. The dog sees the weapon, presumes that it, or it's owner, are in danger and lashes out. Your grandfather then, instead of fleeing as the dog clearly had not actually touched him yet, hits the dog with a stick and them flees?

TBH if it was my dog that your grandfather did that to I would have turned the stick on him. Coming to my he with a weapon? Which you clearly state was the sole purpose of the stick.

By your grandfather? He shot someone's dog without informing them in any way or going through legal channels? Which is illegal by the way. And then your grandmother abused her power as a land lord to get them to stop complaining.

they sound like exactly the kind of family you dont want owning a bull breed! violence begets violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Decuc500

What a charming story! The dog was 'dispatched cleanly by a rifle'. Because that was quite obviously the only way to deal with the situation.:rolleyes:

Seems to me people who own guns in this country look for any opportunity to shoot at animals but saying that is dragging this thread further off topic than it already is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

K4t wrote: »
    You have admitted that you value the life of your dog over the life of a stranger. And you have also said that you would save your dog rather than a stranger in a life and death situation, however improbable the chances of such a situation arising.

My point is, If you can hold that belief and act out that belief in a situation such as the lifeboat scenario, then what is stopping everybody else in the world from having the same belief? What if I valued my cat who I love over the life of a stranger, and everyone else got pets and did the same? You now have a situation where pets are now the accepted equivalent of human life, your view has become widespread. Everybody in the world cares for their dog's life more than the life of a stranger. And that stranger cares for his dog's life more than your life. It's not only you now who values your dog's life more than a stranger's. Everybody holds the same view in relation to their pets. What is stopping whoever is in charge or authority from deciding that your dog's life is more valuable than yours, ordering you off the lifeboat and allowing your dog to remain on it? What's the big deal? Pets and Humans hold the same value to everyone, and somebody had to make a choice. Pets, women and children get priority over men..

Is this your MO? Contrarily and continously reapeating the same point without answering questions, concocting fanstasy scenarios without actually referencing what the person you are talking to is saying?

I'm not interested in anyone else's order of priority. Sincerely I think you're extrapolating a highly absurd scenarion for the sake of a completely academic argument.

I'll say it again, practically and pragmatically speaking your absurd scenario is never going to be put to the test.

I challenge you to come up with a scenario, not some weird sweeping statement about priorities where man or the fabric of some imaginary global society is put in jeopardy by me caring more about my blessed barking machine more than you. A decision which is becoming easier by the minute I might add.

Seriously, one real, tangible, concrete scenario. Go for it, me and the mutt here are all ears...

I do promise that i will be extra careful on boats with hamster passengers on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Someone else's grief isn't my issue, it sounds harsh but it's reality. My family come first but if it's a stranger it will always be my dog without hesitation.

Your opening sentence is one of the most sinister things I have read on boards.If you truely stand behind that post you have lost all credibility like most physcopaths you seem lacking in empathy

Your opening sentence is one of the most sinister things I have read on boards.If you truely stand behind that post you have lost all credibility like most physcopaths you seem lacking in empathy

It's actually the complete opposite.

How is it "sinister"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

eviltwin wrote: »
    I hope you never have to put that to the test. I've lost loved ones, human and animal, as hard as it is to lose your pet it's a lot harder to lose a friend or a child.
    Those who contend otherwise are young and/or have never lost someone close to them. They will learn.
    smash wrote: »
    I don't know. I hate animal cruelty but the story just stinks of sensationalist journalism. If his organs had cooked, slowly or not, he wouldn't have been found alive at all.

The original story from KWWSPCA says:

There's a lot of connecting the dots there!

Then there's the previous story from when he was first found:
    Absolutely. Its the journal's version of clickbait. The story is spurious at best but hey, it attracts attention so who cares?

How is it "sinister"?

someone's else's grief isn't my problem the cornerstone of any physcopaths thinking

someone's else's grief isn't my problem the cornerstone of any physcopaths thinking

psychopathy and sociopathy aren't mutually exclusive. maybe you're mixing them up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

The thread isn't talking about chickens, or pigs or anything else. The thread is about a dog who was tortured. Why do you insist on taking away from that? Start another thread about chicks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055853138

I obviously meant that their grief isn't my problem above my own. :eek: I'm not a sociopathic killer ignoring how people feel but we get one chance at life, I don't plan on spending it threading on eggshells and being so selfless that I would let something I love die to save someone else the pain that I would be putting myself through.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    Those who contend otherwise are young and/or have never lost someone close to them. They will learn.

I find this rather condescending. I'm 24, I would choose my dog over prhers and I've lost more then one close person in my life, including my sister who was my best friend. It's horrible. And there's always that twinge at birthdays or Hannuka when she isn't there but that doesn't affect the grief I would feel for my dog. She's a living creature who has touched my life too.

I obviously meant that their grief isn't my problem above my own. :eek: I'm not a sociopathic killer ignoring how people feel but we get one chance at life, I don't plan on spending it threading on eggshells and being so selfless that I would let something I love die to save someone else the pain that I would be putting myself through.
    I had loads of Dogs and cats growing up I was extremely upset when they died however its not the same type of grief as when a human dies. A mother losing a son is not the same as a dog drowning in a river. Have you ever had a close family member die?

I had loads of Dogs and cats growing up I was extremely upset when they died however its not the same type of grief as when a human dies. A mother losing a son is not the same as a dog drowning in a river. Have you ever had a close family member die?

Yes I have. As I've said above my sister, who was also my closest friend, passed away.

A mother losing a son is not the same as a dog drowning in a river.

There's very little the same. My dog drowning in a river would be akin to one of my siblings drowning in the river.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

the sad thing is the garda wont do anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

fits wrote: »

Absolutely. Its the journal's version of clickbait. The story is spurious at best but hey, it attracts attention so who cares?

So have you evidence the story or parts of it are not true?

Now I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't.

Also it has been reported elsewhere as well and the facts are as stated on the Journal and Gardai are also investigating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

I have a pain in my chest and feel sick after reading that. :(
    Jesus Christ, that poor little thing. :(

People who do things like that should be branded for all to see! Permanently!

This thread has gone nuts I think some posters need somemore human interaction dogs and cats are not equal to humans and I say that as a dog and cat lover

This thread has gone nuts I think some posters need somemore human interaction dogs and cats are not equal to humans and I say that as a dog and cat lover

Friedrich Nietzsche — 'Man is the cruelest animal.'

Trespassing to beat a dog with a stick and then shoot it, for christ sakes

• Advertisement

To you. They're not equal to you. They just happen to be for me. That doesn't make me crazy, it just means I don't see humans as superior.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Trespassing to beat a dog with a stick and then shoot it, for christ sakes

if the dog had mauled him he'd have deserved a treat for acting against a threat to his family.

He deserved a treat anyway. That family should have been reported

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You're right, they are a lot better than the skanger that did this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

if the dog had mauled him he'd have deserved a treat for acting against a threat to his family.

It's almost as if there are 2 sides to every story!

To you. They're not equal to you. They just happen to be for me. That doesn't make me crazy, it just means I don't see humans as superior.

Lol next time you get sick don't bother going to a doctor ask your dog. If your house catchs fire wait for your dog to put it out of course humans are superior

Lol next time you get sick don't bother going to a doctor ask your dog. If your house catchs fire wait for your dog to put it out of course humans are superior

What? I said animals are equal, not that they can cure illnesses. Different doesn't mean unequal.

People are seroiusly degrading themselfs by saying there equal to dogs

The ones who do disgusting things to animals sure as fcuk aren't

• Advertisement

What? I said animals are equal, not that they can cure illnesses. Different doesn't mean unequal.

You said in the post above humans are not superior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

I volunteer at the DSPCA shelter up in mount venus and with the ISPCA, there has been an increase in the viciousness of attacks in recent years.

You used to get group finds at puppy farms every couple of weeks. But it was a gross industry that was always there. I don't know if it's that people are finding more of these cases or there are more. Dogs just aren't abandoned any more they are beaten and abused coming in.

I remember seeing a little three legged girl who had been run over by the luas running around the shelter after she recovered she was one of the worst stories there was back then.

There has been a general increase in animal cruelty it's been confirmed by statistics.

It's not just the recession either http://thecircular.org/general-increase-in-animal-cruelty-in-ireland/

There is something wrong.

There was a debate for an animal welfare bill in 2013 it was for new legislation to replace an animal protection bill that was from 1911 amended in 1965. The main outstanding animal welfare piece of legislation is the long-overdue Animal Health and Welfare Act. The current Protection of Animals Act dates from 1911.

This is it by the way. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/en/act/pub/0015/print.html

There is a lobby to get TD's to act for change. http://www.dspca.ie/lobbyforchange

We need to modernize our laws. Often people convicted of extreme animal cruelty don't even get lifetime bans on owning an animal but bans of a few months or a year. There was an increase that year in cases involving cruelty in 2013 by 60%.There was a case that year of a guy who decided to slaughter a number of pigs in his own domestic home with no equipment! Then of course there are greyhounds greyhounds and more greyhounds. There are some cases of stupidity like the woman who decided to feed her pet pig nothing but cheese. But something has changed.

It's unbelievable to me but some people seem to have a problem with cognition or being able to appreciate animals have a level of consciousness or they simply do not care.

The ASPCA did a one day workshop in Ireland a couple of years ago to do with Animal CSI and using veterinary forensics. Gardai, Veterinarians & Irish Animal Welfare societies attended so it's getting harder for them to get away with it.

If people are ever confused as to whether an animal is enduring cruelty remember the five freedoms from the DSPCA site.
    The Five Freedoms

The welfare of an animal includes its physical and mental state and we consider that good animal welfare implies both fitness and a sense of well-being.

Freedom from hunger and thirst: by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.

Freedom from discomfort: by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.

Freedom from pain, injury or disease: by prevention through rapid diagnosis and treatment.

Freedom to express normal behaviour: by providing sufficient space and proper facilities.

Freedom from fear and distress: by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.

Should apply double for humans !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

K4t wrote: »
    As I said already, fined, and forced to undergo a psychological evaluation and counselling, which they probably should have had a long time before incidences such as this.

Yes that will help alright.... Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

I love animals and especially my own, I dont believe we deserve them anymore the level of twisted cruelty visible every day in this small country and worldwide is so upsetting to read about. The way we treat our animals is indicative of the kind of society we are.

I am sad to say we are a degenerative and vicious vile people breeding half bred horrible humans who think this is a fun thing to do on a wintery weekend roasting an unwanted dog more than likely someones companion or pet. Another hate crime will go unpunished in Ireland. I am sad to say it but the species who become extinct every other day are free of us and are the lucky ones we do not deserve animals.

i really think we should have designated animal welfare officers that would deal with the welfare of animals. the garda are too busy dealing with us to deal with animals.

Roquentin wrote: »
    i really think we should have designated animal welfare officers that would deal with the welfare of animals. the garda are too busy dealing with us to deal with animals.

" garda dont give a **** about animals i reported a dog tied up to the gardai they said he was fine and not to interfere the people were dodgy that dog he died tied up 4 years later he had a rusty barrel for a kennel and was always matted and dirty they said he was fine.......what would they know too busy selling drugs and passing info to other criminals.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭DeadHand

These people need to be found and punished pronto.

Torturing animals is one the clearest indications of a highly dangerous mind. It's not a huge leap between this barbarity and hurting humans. It's a leap that is often made.

Strange what people invest the most outrage in.

When the Japanese journalist was beheaded by ISIS the lazy, cliched Jap jokes came flooding in thick and fast and were met with much more applause and much less condemnation on that thread than the inevitable, puerile "hot dog", "dogtied" and "woof" jokes that were dribbled out on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I find animal-rights extremists a little unhinged and difficult to be around.

We all know people who love their own pets, and most of us like animals in general.

But the kind of people who come online and dream-up sadistic images like shooting the perpetrator dead, or claiming that domestic animals and human beings have an equal right to life, are very much in the loopy category as far as I am concerned.

Nobody condones animal cruelty. But saving a cat's life ahead of a child? Shooting dead or torturing another human being? You guys need to take a look at yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I love animals and especially my own, I dont believe we deserve them anymore the level of twisted cruelty visible every day in this small country and worldwide is so upsetting to read about. The way we treat our animals is indicative of the kind of society we are.

I am sad to say we are a degenerative and vicious vile people breeding half bred horrible humans who think this is a fun thing to do on a wintery weekend roasting an unwanted dog more than likely someones companion or pet. Another hate crime will go unpunished in Ireland. I am sad to say it but the species who become extinct every other day are free of us and are the lucky ones we do not deserve animals.
    Better release your pets into the wild so, given that you don't believe you deserve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭DeadHand

" garda dont give a **** about animals i reported a dog tied up to the gardai they said he was fine and not to interfere the people were dodgy that dog he died tied up 4 years later he had a rusty barrel for a kennel and was always matted and dirty they said he was fine.......what would they know too busy selling drugs and passing info to other criminals.....

The Gardai don't really protect human beings anymore either.

Better release your pets into the wild so, given that you don't believe you deserve them.

cant & wont release them as some twisted half bred would try to inflict inane cruelty on them they are safe and loved with me..

• Advertisement
Advertisement