Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014/2015 Bike Models: Sportive Recommendations

• 29-01-2015 3:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Fast approaching *that* age and need for the MAMIL, now looking at longer rides and sportive bike options. Any recommendations from the 2014/2015 pack? Price range up to 2.5K Euro max (sorry, I need that second kidney).

So, far looking at Cannondale Synapse 5 105, and Specialized Roubaix models, but what about Trek Domane and Giant Defy options - any particular models I might explore?

Boardman?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

http://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-xeon-team-cgf-3000-746367/aid:746396?bikevariantchanged=746420

This is what I'm looking at and I'm in a similar position to you. (under budget too) Rose get great reviews for customer care and their bikes are customizeable so you can pick different wheels or stems to suit. If you do go for one, it's best to get an account first with a small order so you get the best out of their points reward system (thread on here previously somewhere).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Thanks for the Rose tip. Will check it out. Customization and support is important too.

Really like the potential of the Trek Domane 4.3 Disc too: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/domane-43-disc-2015-road-bike-ec072167

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

uvox wrote: »
    Thanks for the Rose tip. Will check it out. Customization and support is important too.

Really like the potential of the Trek Domane 4.3 Disc too: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/domane-43-disc-2015-road-bike-ec072167

The only thing that would put me off buying a Trek is how popular they are. Silly I know, but they're everywhere.

This Scott Foil is savage value. You'll have money left for finishing kit and wheels.

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-foil-hmx-team-issue-di2-frameset-with-11-speed-ultegra-6870-electric-pack-2013-p213652

Edit: forget it, they're out of stock! Sorry.

Canyon something so.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

As a sportive bike, the Canyon Endurace CF looks like pretty good bang for buck at any of the models but for €2.7k (slightly over budget, I know) you can get the top of the range one with full dura ace. A bit lower and you can get Chorus (or much lower if you want the Ritchey cockpit at the moment!), while ultegra comes in at €1800 which seems like excellent value when you consider that it looks to be the exact same bike (frame, wheels, etc.) as the DA one, barring the groupset.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

Brian? wrote: »
    The only thing that would put me off buying a Trek is how popular they are. Silly I know, but they're everywhere.

This Scott Foil is savage value. You'll have money left for finishing kit and wheels.

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-foil-hmx-team-issue-di2-frameset-with-11-speed-ultegra-6870-electric-pack-2013-p213652

Edit: forget it, they're out of stock! Sorry.

Canyon something so.

The scott foil is hardly a sportive bike. It's an out and out race bike so wouldn't suit everyone.

• Advertisement

The scott foil is hardly a sportive bike. It's an out and out race bike so wouldn't suit everyone.

I'm not sure what a "sportive bike" is to be honest. If you set up the front of any bike for comfort wouldn't it do the same job?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Dont get bogged down . . . Trek Domane.

I'm not sure what a "sportive bike" is to be honest. If you set up the front of any bike for comfort wouldn't it do the same job?

Sportive type bikes tend to have longer (higher) head tubes so your higher up and more comfortable. The Scott foil has a short head tube (aerodynamics etc etc) so ud be very crouched down so it wouldn't suit everyone. Even tho the scott is an absolute beast of a bike (i have one myself) there is no good in buying a bargain if ur back is killing u on a long spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

hi
    got the Canyon Endurace before Xmas
    great bike, careful with the sizing got the small size (53cm) am 5-9, short legs long torso/arms, got it with the 100mm stem instead of the stock 90mm, turned out to be too cramped, so exchanged the stem for a 120mm for longer reach which you can do up to 30 days after delivery, set up perfect now and still nice and comfy
    my other bike is a Focus cayo evo 3 (54cm, 100mm stem), much more sporty set up great bike too but def less comfy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,106 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

IMO the Domane is way too heavy and the reports I've read indicate that the ride quality is odd with loads of squish at the back but a stiff front end.

I would avoid disc brakes for a recreational bike. Rim brakes are lighter, cheaper and easier to maintain.

There are as many types of "sportive" bikes as there are flavours of MAMIL. What specifically are you looking for?

• Advertisement

Sportive type bikes tend to have longer (higher) head tubes so your higher up and more comfortable. The Scott foil has a short head tube (aerodynamics etc etc) so ud be very crouched down so it wouldn't suit everyone. Even tho the scott is an absolute beast of a bike (i have one myself) there is no good in buying a bargain if ur back is killing u on a long spin

Spacers under the stem will overcome a lot of the comfort issues. I'd also be fa more comfortable dragging a 7kg bike uphill than a heavier bike.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Spacers under the stem will overcome a lot of the comfort issues. I'd also be fa more comfortable dragging a 7kg bike uphill than a heavier bike.

yes, the canyon's are light, mine is 7.15Kg before pedal etc

If that's your opinion fair enough. I have a scott foil I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a sportive bike. I'm well aware that u can use spacers to bring it up a bit but it's not what I would be doing.
    It is a very stiff bike and it's aero and it's low down, if u want to put lots of spacers above the headset on a bike like that work away. I wouldn't be advising that as it would tend to affect the headset and the steering. But if u want to argue away for the sake of it work away.... We can agree to disagree. There's plenty of way more comfortable bikes out there that would be better suited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Your average sportive rider is
    * probably 30 plus
    * newish to cycling
    * overweight
    * not overly flexible
    * weak core

If so they need a bike which is
    *comfortable
    * has appropite gearing for their fitness level/terrain/distance
    * predictable handling

Why recommend a race bike designed for a completely different athlete. Plus it'll look ridlicious with a load of spacers.

A kg or two of bike with your average sportive rider is high hanging fruit

If that's your opinion fair enough. I have a scott foil I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a sportive bike. I'm well aware that u can use spacers to bring it up a bit but it's not what I would be doing.
    It is a very stiff bike and it's aero and it's low down, if u want to put lots of spacers above the headset on a bike like that work away. I wouldn't be advising that as it would tend to affect the headset and the steering. But if u want to argue away for the sake of it work away.... We can agree to disagree. There's plenty of way more comfortable bikes out there that would be better suited.

I am sure there are plenty more comfortable bikes, true. I am not arguing with you at all. I just thought that bike is exceptional value and can be set up to fit the purpose of a sportive or racing. A more relaxed bike can only ever really be relaxed.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Dont get bogged down . . . Trek Domane.

Have a Domane and it's a great bike..

I am sure there are plenty more comfortable bikes, true. I am not arguing with you at all. I just thought that bike is exceptional value and can be set up to fit the purpose of a sportive or racing. A more relaxed bike can only ever really be relaxed.

I know what u are saying but It's a bit like buying an item of clothing on a bargain rail that doesn't fit you. It's a false economy. It's not a sportive bike, it's been used by pro teams the last couple of years so it's a very aggressive bike

I know what u are saying but It's a bit like buying an item of clothing on a bargain rail that doesn't fit you. It's a false economy. It's not a sportive bike, it's been used by pro teams the last couple of years so it's a very aggressive bike

But I love bargain rails :)

they/them/theirs

I like the look of this bargain rail, you could get very lucky here and find the right bike for a very good price.

https://www.canyon.com/en/outlet/list.html#category=road-bikes

https://www.canyon.com/en/outlet/list.html#category=road-framesets

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭furiousox

Have you considered the Scott CR1?
    High front end, its comfortable but fast with racy handling.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    IMO the Domane is way too heavy and the reports I've read indicate that the ride quality is odd with loads of squish at the back but a stiff front end.

I would avoid disc brakes for a recreational bike. Rim brakes are lighter, cheaper and easier to maintain.

There are as many types of "sportive" bikes as there are flavours of MAMIL. What specifically are you looking for?

Looking for long rides on-road, comfortable, reliability, performance, and yes it's gotta look good. It's for personal sport and fitness, I want to challenge myself with a decent performance machine and keep pushing it to keep fit. I'm not a racer or pack-rider.

I'm fit, very strong with rocksolid core. Run 100 kms per week, but the legs are now suffering continually from stress fractures and the writing is on the wall for that. Need a low impact alternative and want to explore further afield too.

I'm close to conclusion now - looks like the Trek Domane 4.5 it is. Couple of places in Dublin can get one in 52 for me and be competitive on price.

Oddly I went into one location and they tried to convince me I needed a Cube...

http://www.cube.eu/en/bikes/road-race/agree/cube-agree-gtc-sl-carbonnflashred-2015/

No, not for this job. Good value. But not for this task...:)

I'm close to conclusion now - looks like the Trek Domane 4.5 it is. Couple of places in Dublin can get one in 52 for me and be competitive on price.

http://www.cube.eu/en/bikes/road-race/agree/cube-agree-gtc-sl-carbonnflashred-2015/

Funny because I was going to recommend a cube agree to you, lovely bikes and good value too. Best of luck with the trek tho u can't go too wrong with those either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

ford2600 wrote: »
    Your average sportive rider is
    * probably 30 plus
    * newish to cycling
    * overweight
    * not overly flexible
    * weak core

If so they need a bike which is
    *comfortable
    * has appropite gearing for their fitness level/terrain/distance
    * predictable handling

Why recommend a race bike designed for a completely different athlete. Plus it'll look ridlicious with a load of spacers.

A kg or two of bike with your average sportive rider is high hanging fruit

I think that you are confusing 'sportive rider' with 'charity fund raiser'.

See you at the Leinster Loop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Reason he tried to push the Cube is that it's the best value most shops can supply, to match online brands Rose & Canyon (all 3 German makes). Cube prices have come down the last year or so to compete with these, and seem to be selling well. (As an aside, fancying something a bit less common would steer me away from them, but that's just me, and probably poor enough reason)
    My LBS sells v few treks now - says poor value, (He reckons for similar spec frames, the trek will have poorer components eg Sora vs 105, for the same price, compared to other respected brands)
    But that Domane 4.5 looks great, and if it's reasonably competitively priced you definitely won't regret it.
    Best wishes on your purchase anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

I've a Domane and its a great bike. Super comfortable even with my dodgy back. Have cycled 120km and finished fresh as a daisy. Like you I used to do a lot of running but my joints were starting to suffer so I moved to cycling and after much research, the Domane was my choice. I haven't regretted it

Advertisement