Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

A cyclist got my goat...

• 29-01-2015 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭

From the Phoenix Park all the way to O'Connell Bridge it's touch and go as to which mode of transport is quicker (regarding motorbikes and cycles).

This morning a cyclist passed me by the park, then I passed him on an open stretch, then he passed me after pushing through the red light etc. etc. all the way down.

Near O'Connel there was a gap between a bus (in the bus lane) and the cars, but I couldn't fit so waited. That same cyclist started ringing his bell at me then cursing me. I got through the gap after the cars moved a bit but this guy stayed on my tail ringing and cursing.

After O'Connell we both went straight through and I went his pace and asked what his problem was. He had the audacity to tell me I wasn't allowed in the bus lanes! Are cyclists above the law in that they can break the red lights but then police other road users? (He had no reply to that).

Anyway - sure there are lots of threads on this so I won't harp on. It's therapeutic though :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

This should cheer you up!

10402947_10153095309268117_4980701149413816342_n.jpg?oh=af7e5bd87436c7de6c181956e947ff15&oe=556AFDB9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The summary of this saga seems to be that you should be able to do what the heck you like without anyone giving out to you. Seems a bit like sawing a branch that you are standing on.

If you enough leave space for others they probably wouldn't notice you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

beauf wrote: »
    If you enough leave space for others they probably wouldn't notice you.

It's a bit tricky extracting a motorcycle from between a bus and a car once you've committed, but then realised there's not enough room... (if that's what you meant by that phrase!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

n/a

• Advertisement

I can't add anything new in reply to that...
    beauf wrote: »
    ...If you enough leave space for others they probably wouldn't notice you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

But what happened to the goat?

Is this a new thing, cyclists kidnapping goats?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

scorn wrote: »
    From the Phoenix Park all the way to O'Connell Bridge it's touch and go as to which mode of transport is quicker (regarding motorbikes and cycles).

This morning a cyclist passed me by the park, then I passed him on an open stretch, then he passed me after pushing through the red light etc. etc. all the way down.

Near O'Connel there was a gap between a bus (in the bus lane) and the cars, but I couldn't fit so waited. That same cyclist started ringing his bell at me then cursing me. I got through the gap after the cars moved a bit but this guy stayed on my tail ringing and cursing.

After O'Connell we both went straight through and I went his pace and asked what his problem was. He had the audacity to tell me I wasn't allowed in the bus lanes! Are cyclists above the law in that they can break the red lights but then police other road users? (He had no reply to that).

Anyway - sure there are lots of threads on this so I won't harp on. It's therapeutic though :p

Two wrongs don't make a right, blah, blah, blahhhh. If you were in the bus lane, and blocked the cyclist because you weren't aware of your surroundings (i.e., there's a cyclist behind you, cars/buses blocking you) or simply just don't care, then I'd be a pissed off cyclist too.

It's no different than a car blocking a motorcyclist from filtering because they're too far on one side of the lane and too dumb/lazy to move to the centre.

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    But what happened to the goat?

Is this a new thing, cyclists kidnapping goats?

Maybe just kidding around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

gap was between a bus in the buslane, and the cars, so effectively on the bus lane boundary line. I'd be asking why the cyclist wasnt going up the inside of the bus (nearside), rather then vying with you on the outside of the bus (offside)..

I suspect, like you, he was caught out of position (no attack intended, we all get caught from time to time). Only you didnt feel the need to give out about the cars and buses impeding your progress - realising it for what it was; an entirely futile pursuit

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    ...I'd be asking why the cyclist wasnt going up the inside of the bus (nearside), rather then vying with you on the outside of the bus (offside).. ...

Because its a good way to get crushed/pinched by the bus and/or passengers.

Cyclists should avoid going up the inside of large vehicles in general. So it should be expected that cyclists would go up the outside of such vehicles.

Its also where new cyclists clinging to the cycle lane, and people telling them to keep left, might not always be good advice.

As Wossack says everyone gets caught out. Live an let live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

When cyclists start paying insurance and road tax then AND ONLY THEN will i have respect for them..( not all bad i know blah blah )....:)

So you wouldn't give pedestrians respect on the road then. Like a kid crossing the road.

How do you know the cyclist doesn't also have a car and/or a motorbike. They probably drive, ride exactly like they cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭furiousox

When cyclists start paying insurance and road tax then AND ONLY THEN will i have respect for them..( not all bad i know blah blah )....:)

By 'road tax' I take it you mean 'motor tax'?

CPL 593H

Road tax? What's that? No such thing, blah, blah. Maybe you mean motor tax? For a bicycle? But that hasn't got a motor...

Insurance...what type of insurance? I'm sure lots of cyclists have insurance...health insurance...house insurance, travel insurance, etc. Oh, you mean "motor insurance"? For a bicycle? But that hasn't got a motor...

rat_race wrote: »
    Road tax? What's that? No such thing, blah, blah. Maybe you mean motor tax? For a bicycle? But that hasn't got a motor...

Insurance...what type of insurance? I'm sure lots of cyclists have insurance...health insurance...house insurance, travel insurance, etc. Oh, you mean "motor insurance"? For a bicycle? But that hasn't got a motor...

Anyway, let's not kick of this debate again.

But hey, now we know why you're called Max Headroom! Plenty of space in there... HOH HOH HOHHHHH

Impatient rule breaking, causing conflict with other impatient rule breaking.

Did you not see Ghost Busters

http://www.timsackett.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Dont-Cross-the-Streams.jpg

rat_race wrote: »

Its all non specific tax in one great pot unless its not. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I was thinking the other day how little i get pissed off while on the motorbike (while commuting) compare to when i used to cycle. Pretty much every single day when i was on the bicycle i would feel some level of anger often rage with people stepping out in front of me, cars pulling out in front of me and stopping, stopping in yellow boxes blocking me, buses overtaking me then pulling in to stop and essentially running me off the road etc etc. I used to want to attach a tack hammer to my crossbar to whack cars with. On the motorbike there is some of that but its much easier to control and avoid, also slowing down and speeding up is far less hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Ah, there's a type of person I suppose. The type that'll sit on the horn beeping at a car accidentally caught a yellow box and probably wouldnt say boo to you in "real life".

I do a bit of cycling too and have zero respect with people who have bells on their bikes... unless it matches their basket and tassles. A bell on a push bike re enforces a cyclist's sense of entitlement which is sky high already.

Impatience with other people impatience is a real theme in this thread. Or a sense of entitlement.

So we're against bells? AFAIK an audible bell is a legal requirement. But just like a horn. You can use it within reason or like an idiot. Do you feel the same about headlights, horns etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

A lot of us do :D blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

How exactly does a bell enforces a cyclist's sense of entitlement? I had one on my first adult bike and found it was completely useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

For some reason cyclists don't give me shte, ringing their bells after me and whatnot, thats cause I drive a bike and I drive fast.:) I leave the little entitled fúckers in a plumbe of yamylube, eat it cyclists.

Impatience with other people's impatience with other people's impatience is a real theme in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

84353d1412889125t-colbert-popcorn.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Top 5 of my hate list...in order..

IS
    Cyclists
    Taxi drivers
    Paedos
    Nova

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

The bells, the bells, the bells.

Something else about cyclists.... they're great for trolling on boards.

• Advertisement

No bells on Guys bikes.

Advertisement