Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative Equity@Tracker vs Cheaper Houses@high interest

Options
  • 29-01-2015 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭

Wonder why this is rarely mentioned.

Bought my place in 2007, tracker around the 250K mark. Average interest rate (tracker + banks 1.1%) around 2% sofar.

Said to a mate "why not buy now". He says he's looking, but any place he gets would be subject to a probable average rate of 5%. So even if its 200K, your looking at almost (if not more) of a real cost to the buyers these days. Plus when you take into account that I would have got 10 years interest relief(20-30% of the interest) and he cannot get that, it really would make one think twice before buying.

Anyways he thinks Im in a better position. Was like "Wow you don't hear that mentioned alot about 2007 buyers". I suppose given a decent steady income its not so bad.

Interested in opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

yep - those on trackers and who can afford the repayments are better off in the long run on tracker and negative equity than someone buying today at 4%.

Your tracker is currently 1.15% (ecb rate is 0.05%).

a 200k Mortgage at 4% will cost just over €1050 a month over 25 years (very affordable) with interest cost of €116,000.
    a 250k mortage at 1.15% over 25 year will cost 960/month with just €37,000 interest cost.

Obviously rates will change and the gap between variable & tracker will fall, but not hugely. My calculations (done quite a while ago and confirmed by askaboutmoney.com) suggest that a 1% tracker is worth about 30% of the outstanding mortage.

Advertisement