Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPI claim question

Options
  • 28-01-2015 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Anybody any experience with same or similar situations to this:

Don't know if this is the right thread, or whether it should be somewhere else. If anybody wants to advise where I should re-direct let me know. It is a PPI story.
    Had a credit card with an Irish bank. I declined PPI when applying for the CC, but bank began applying PPI premiums after about a year or so. To be honest I didn't notice this at the time....I was relatively flush at the time and amounts were small and I cleared the balance each month, so I mistakenly thought I must have agreed to accept the PPI when signing the form. Bad memory or pretty stupid.... I know. But ran up a bit of debt a few years later and PPI premiums got bigger. Once again, I continued to assume (mea culpa) that I must have applied for the PPI. When the whole story about mis-sold PPI broke in the media I wrote to the bank to cancel the PPI, as I'm self employed. Bank wrote back after a long delay, saying the PPI shouldn't have been applied to the account in the first place. I was given a refund of premiums and a miserly amount of compensatory interest.

I've had a bit of correspondence with the bank since. They are very reluctant to release information. For instance, they seem to have deleted any records of phone calls I made to them. Amazing......! You would think it would be in their interest to retain those records....

The whole thing stinks. I know from professional dealings I had in the past with another credit card provider that applying PPI to CC accounts was an easy way for 'rogue' customer service agents to earn a bit of extra commission. While it may not have happened much I suspect this practice may have been a bit more widespread than banks would care to admit. Would love to hear from anybody with same or similar experiences.

Advertisement