Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6 keyboard

• 29-01-2015 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm still mulling over the possibility of switching from android to an Iphone6 for my next upgrade. Got a quick question on the stock iOS keyboard: does it have swipe function built-in? I know you can put a 3rd party keyboard on an iPhone now, but I try to stay away from those if possible. I use the stock one on my HTC One, and I find it great, the swiping works really well. Couldn't go back to tapping keys again, I don't think, so I'd like to know if native iOS can swipe?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Any reason why you would not install Swype on an iPhone? I did and I find it great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

loinnsigh wrote: »
    Any reason why you would not install Swype on an iPhone? I did and I find it great.

I used swiftkey on my android before, and I wasn't too happy with it in terms of privacy and the amount of RAM it was using even in the background (in terms of functionality, it was great). I guess with apple you might not be able to see the ram use, but it was significant on android at around 80-90mb (especially when it wasn't being used). Is swype any better in these regards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

loinnsigh wrote: »
    yes, the way iOS 8 handles 3rd party keyboards make it a no go for me.

the default keyboard is still better IMO.

I used swiftkey on my android before, and I wasn't too happy with it in terms of privacy and the amount of RAM it was using even in the background (in terms of functionality, it was great). I guess with apple you might not be able to see the ram use, but it was significant on android at around 80-90mb (especially when it wasn't being used). Is swype any better in these regards?
    yes, the way iOS 8 handles 3rd party keyboards make it a no go for me.

the default keyboard is still better IMO.

No idea re RAM usage, but the Privacy one is interesting and not something I had thought about.
    So I just read the Apple T&Cs for 3rd party keyboards, and it seems that as long as you don't enable 'full access', then you're OK. I have full access disabled since I installed it so I think I'm OK - or should I be wary of Swype?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

iOS doesn't allow third party keyboards on secure textfields (like passwords).

still there's plenty of sensitive information you type into your phone without being in secure textfields (credit card details etc.).

Thanks for the info - and now that you've pointed it out I can see that swype does have access to sensitive info in non-secure textfields. Uninstalled. Pity cos I really liked the functionality :-(

Advertisement