Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New Adventure

Options
  • 29-01-2015 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭

I've somehow been roped into being the fourth member of a team (Team ARSE) for the Beast of Ballyhoura 2015.

How, when I'm not at all into adventure racing?. Let me start at the beginning. I've never been an adventure racer or a triathlete or even thought about it (I can't swim) but I have for the past three to four years been into hiking and running, not on a super competitive scale but more on the fun side of things. I've done a handful of half marathons, lots of 10kms and all the races in-between, logging a PB of 1:52 for my HM and 48 minutes for a 10km (I'm no Mo Farah - I have one pace - slow). I've done lots of hiking challenges over the years, the Maamturks 4 times, the Mourne Wall, Joyce Country, Fei Sheehy challenge, plenty of 11 to 12 hour hikes in Kerry and around Europe and I've been to the Alps twice and done some pretty intensive 7 - 9 day hut to hut 4,000+ hikes over there.

Some of the guys that I hike with have done all sorts of crazy challenges during their lifetimes, they're iron-men, marathon runners, climbers, divers etc. Last year a group of us went on a hiking trip to Wales where we had pencilled in a long hike that would take in all of the 3,000+ peaks in Wales. It took three of us 21 hours to complete, it was tough but it was super enjoyable. After coming home from Wales, I got an e-mail from three of my hiking friends asking if I'd like to be their team mate for an adventure race called the Beast of Ballyhoura in 2015 (they needed a girl to complete the team). I'd survived a 21 hour hike without complaint so I was deemed mad enough to take on the Beast. I checked out some threads on the Beast - a 40 hours non-stop multi-sport race and I figured with over a year to train, I might just be able to pull it off though my first admission to the guys was that I can't swim (but I'm not afraid of the water) and they said we could get around that so I threw my hat in the ring. And so it is that I am here - now a month into my full on training for the Beast.

I'm keeping this training log in a bid to get advice from all of you with way more experience than me and to share this mad mad journey with you.

p.s. Subsequent to my agreement to be part of Team Adventure Race Squad Extreme (ARSE) it was announced that the Beast will this year be part of the European Championships and so will be 72 HOUS LONG, I know, absolute madness but I've put my hat in the ring now so there's no turning back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

To give you an idea of where I am with my training, here is my training for the past three weeks:

Mon: Circuits

Tue: 20 mins Stepper
    Circuits
    6.45 miles/ 1:02/ 9:44/mi
    Wed: 4.32 miles/ 40:30/ 9:23/mi

Thurs: 20 mins stepper
    Circuits
    3.11 miles/ 37:00/ 11:55/mi (helping my BF with C25km training)
    3.05 miles/ 33:22/ 10:57/mi (helping my friend with C25km - any excuse)

Fri: 8.95 miles/ 1:26/ 9:43/mi

Sat: 4.74 miles/ 43:56/ 7:17/mi
    Climbed Croagh Patrick

Sun: 2.54 miles/ 25:37/ 10:05 (cut short because of frost :()

10.26 miles/ 1:36/ 9:25/mi

Tue: 15 mins Stepper
    Circuits
    3.05 mile/ 34:50/ 11:26/mi (C25km with BF)

Wed: 4.29 miles/ 38:24/ 8:58/mi

Thurs: 15 mins Stepper
    Circuits

Fri: Rest Day

Sat: 12.02 miles/ 1:47/ 8:58/mi
    15 miles cycle

Sun: 12km Kayak (first time on a kayak - interesting experience)

4.25 miles/ 37:24/ 8:48/mi

Tue: 16 mins Stepper
    Circuits
    4.35 miles/ 37:38/ 8:40/mi
    3.15 miles/ 32:51/ 10:26/mi (C25km with BF)

Wed: 4.13miles/ 36:17/ 8:48/mi
    Spinning class

Thurs: 17 mins stepper
    Circuits

To give you an idea of where I am with my training, here is my training for the past three weeks:

Circuits

Circuits

Climbed Croagh Patrick

Circuits

Circuits

15 miles cycle

Sun: 12km Kayak (first time on a kayak - interesting experience)

Circuits

Spinning class

Circuits

I know I don't have any tempo runs or speed sessions but I'm planning to start building them in from here on in and I'm hoping to get our more on the bike.

Circuits

Circuits

Climbed Croagh Patrick

Circuits

Circuits

15 miles cycle

Sun: 12km Kayak (first time on a kayak - interesting experience :O)

Circuits

Spinning class

Circuits

I know I don't have any tempo runs or speed sessions but I'm planning to start building them in from here on in and I'm hoping to get our more on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Welcome aboard!!

Saw the introduction of Team ARSE last night on Facebook and had a good giggle at the name. Well done and best of luck with the training!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Awesome: A dedicated Beast log :) Thats 3 of them around these parts now with another one hanging out with joggers.

All that hiking will really stand to you. Get used to time on the saddle though.

Best of luck and see you there!

• Advertisement

Thanks AKW and shotgunmcos :)

I ordered my mountain bike this weekend so should be taking to the hills in a week or so. Looked for advice from my teammates, who are all serious mountain bikers, and they convinced me to join team Hardtail so I have a Boardman Hardtail 650B winging it's way to me :)

This weekend I had a 5km race in Ennis (Sat), I'm trying to get my friends and boyfriend into this running business so we all signed up for this as part of the Run Clare race series. I came in at 24:42, not a PB by a long stretch but I was happy enough - 5km is not my favorite distance as I don't feel I find my pace until 3km. At the 2km mark, my Team ARSE team mate, who had said he was going to wait on the sidelines to cheer his daughters (and me) on, tapped me on the shoulder to say hello. He couldn't sit on the sidelines and miss the action :D:D Needless to say, he thundered past me and got in well ahead of me. In my defense, in his heyday, he held the national record for the fastest 5km and the marathon.

My very eager other half, delighted with his sub 30minute first 5km, wanted to go for a recovery run on Saturday evening so we did a gentle 6km.

Yesterday (Sun) was my long run, 13 miles. It was late when I got out and the footpaths were starting to get slippy so I figured my best bet was to do the 1 mile loop around my house 13 times - oh man, I was never as bored in all my life and super super slow, covered it in 2:01 9:17/mi . Done though.

Today (Mon), I got a circuits class in this morning and have a spinning class in my sights for this evening :)

Monday PM: Spinning class - waiting on my mountain bike to be delivered so I can get out on the trails so this will have to do until then. Read some threads on the usefulness of spinning for training and there's a general consensus that it doesn't help very much as it's a different bike with different settings etc. so I'm mindful that this is only a short term solution.

Tuesday AM: 15 minutes on the stepper to warm up for circuits. Our circuit trainer does 4 x 60 seconds x 10/11 stations. This morning included more cardio/dynamic work like skipping, sprints, bear crawls, dynamic lunges, squats with weights etc.

Tuesday Lunch: 4.5 miles easy, 8:45/mi with six strides at the end. My first time including anything like this into my run but hoping to do more of it and better my race times.

My hamstring is a little tight so will do some work with the foam roller and tennis ball later :)

So February has been somewhat of a disaster so far. On Feb 4th, started to feel a cold coming on so took an unscheduled days rest. Got full on sniffles the following day but I was in Dublin and had promised myself a run in the Phoenix park - went with the above the neck rule and covered 6 miles, allbeit 6 very snotty miles.

I had registered for a hilly 10km (West Clare style) on the Saturday so went ahead with that though I was spluttering all the way around it. Found the going tough and covered it in 51:00 but my lungs were feeling every bit of it. Had to give in on Saturday evening and go see the Doc - full blown chest infection so anti-biotics and steroids for a week :(:(

I had registered for the Amphibian King Maree 8km the following day with my better other half, it was his first 8km so I decided I'd go and cheer him on but I couldn't stand on the side lines when I got there and geared up with the intention of pacing him. I stayed with him for the first 4km then kicked off a bit and came home in 43:00 without putting too much pressure on my lungs (I hope). I know, I shouldn't be running with a chest infection - I had race envy.

I walked 8 miles the next day to give my lungs a break from running and did a 30km easy cycle the next. Feeling much better by Friday so did some speed work: 10 x 200m. Saturday morning was a 5 mile morning run in Oranmore (while himself was running with his C25km group) followed by a jog up Diamond hill to get the legs working again.

Sunday: finished anti-biotics and steroids so hit for the 5km Point to Point in Westport. Really nice flat course and managed a pb of 23:09 so delighted with that after the rubbish week.

Monday: Climbed Croagh Patrick to put some muscle on the legs - when in Westport :)

Tuesday: 8 miles @ 8:29/mile

My Team ARSE mates and I have a longish day lined up for Saturday. 13km kayaking followed by a 16 mile run (flat on canal bank). I've never run further than 14 miles so it should be interesting :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    (while himself was running with him C25km group)

Is he out with me on Saturday??

Small world :)

He is indeed, he's really enjoying it - you've worked your magic on him. Kieran is his name, I've never seen him so determined :)

In fact, I think he'll be passing me out in a few weeks :(

• Advertisement

Wednesday AM: Planned 4mile easy run - stayed in bed, not sleeping, trying to justify not doing the 4 mile easy run. Concluded that I should have gotten up and done the 4 miles easy.

Wednesday PM: WattBike at the gym, 36 minutes averaging 137watts
    Followed this with a circuit class. The trainer decided it was an evening to push/punish me. Picked up a 15kg dumbbell to do 4x60secs squat set, trainer takes it off me and give me a 17.5kg. Same story with kettle bell swings and dead lifts, backward lunges etc. Fell into bed regretting the wattbike before circuits.

Thursday AM: 15 mins Wattbike @ 137watts before circuit session. Trainer took pity and left me alone to play with light weights.

Thursday PM: planned 4miles easy - every muscle on every part of my body aches. Not sure how 4 miles is going to happen. In fact, not sure how getting out of bed tomorrow is going to happen. It's on days like these that I wish I could swim.

Thursday PM: Planned 4 miles done :) Nice and easy. I had almost chickened out of it because my legs were as still as posts but my housemate has just finished the couch25km and is trying to add kms on we convinced each other to hit for the prom. Did 4 miles easy, her longest run to date and a great bonding session to boot :)

Friday AM: Still stiff so hit for the gym. 45 minutes on the Wattbike, sprints of 3 minutes, 1 minute easy. Still stiff - pool for some splish splashing - still stiff, getting worried.

Saturday: Training day with Team ARSE. Plan: 13km kayak from O'Briens Bridge to Ardnacrusha followed by a 16 mile run on the flat soft grassy canal bank.

We stuck to our plan and had a good day out (despite our kayaks falling off the van and spilling all over the road on the way home - thankfully nobody hurt). I really enjoyed the kayak and managed not to fall in, which is always a bonus (fell in 3 times last time out and was determined not to be a drowned rat hitting out for our run).

We have a double sit on and two singles to train with. I can't swim so I got into the double and glued myself to the spot, the guys took turns at being my co-pilot :) The run went well but I did feel in in the legs after mile 13 - the styles going over the last two bridges caused some oohs and ahhhs. Team ARSE member J and I ended up running side by side for the last 4 miles, in complete silence. I was concentrating on getting my legs to keep turning over and feeling bad that I couldn't string a sentence together. He told me after that he was feeling the same (I think he was just being nice though :)). All in all, a great day out for team ARSE :)

Saturday: Training day with Team ARSE. Plan: 13km kayak from O'Briens Bridge to Ardnacrusha followed by a 16 mile run on the flat soft grassy canal bank.

Nice Session. Was it paddling the whole way to Ardnacrusha or was there any portage involved?

It was paddling all the way, we thought the gate from Lough Derg might be open and it would give us a helping hand but it was closed - good training for the arms though :) There's a video posted on the Team ARSE FB page if you want to have a look at the scenery :)

Sunday:

Plan: rest day.
    Reality: 8km run.

I was home in West Clare visiting the family and my brother was heading for the 8km John Minogue Memorial run in Miltown Malbay. I couldn't let him go on his own so I laced up my runners and headed out with him. Luckily it dried up just in time for the 12.30 start but the wind was really whipping up. We headed out of Miltown, towards Lahinch (and into a headwind) for the first 3km, then south towards the Armada in Spanish Point for 2km before finally having the wind at our backs for the final 3km. My plan was to do sub-5 minute kms and I kept just under for each km but my legs were like blocks for the 5th km - there was a guy with an I Ran with Ray t-shirt just in front of me so I focused on that and kept the head down. With 1.5km to go I was trying to figure our why my legs were so heavy and started to wonder if I could run it all so I consciously started lifting my legs higher and gathered some momentum, I must have been dragging them for a couple of kms (must remember to consciously check that I'm lifting my legs rather than dragging them). I overtook I Ran with Ray guy with a km to go and he turned and asked how the hell I had found the energy to push on - I was so tired all I could do was nod :D. Happy with a 39.12 finish considering the wind and the training with team ARSE on Saturday. My brother romped home in under 32 minutes - I'm never going to catch him.

Monday:

Plan: Rest Day

Monday: Rest Day.

Spent the evening cooking dinners and lunches for the rest of the week and made a really great smoothie from a recipe a friend recommended. Half a pineapple, bag of frozen blueberries, 2-3 cubes of frozen spinach, juice of a lime, mint leaves and some water. Made a liter and a half of a really tasty smoothie/juice.

Also tried some protein cubes that are yum and easy to make too. Couple of tablespoons of coconut oil melted, chuck in some ground almonds and protein powder (I used mint chocolate), give it a stir and put in an ice cube tray and stick in the freezer. The cubes pop out and stay solid, quick protein fix after a session.

Tuesday AM: 20 minutes on the Wattbike before circuits
    Circuits involved boxing, sprints, mountain climbers, side shuffles, high knees and more ... 4 x 60secs on each with 10/15 second recovery.

Tuesday lunch: Run 5x6mins tempo, 90 seconds recovery

Tuesday PM: Run with C25km other half. We did 10km, his first time running 10km and his first time running more than 5km without stopping so smiles all round when we were done.

Also did a session with a sports massage therapist. My hamstrings and shoulders are starting to get tight so I figured I'd get them seen to before they become a problem. I go every 6-7 months to get all of the knots out and really enjoy it. Was looking forward to it all day yesterday, get there, hop on the table and she starts putting pressure on the knots and I think "how the f**k were you looking forward to this?" .... and remember that it's the after the massage bit I enjoy, not the massage. I won't lie, there were tears when she was working out a tight bit on my leg. Feeling good today though. Going back next week for another session.

You may get that boyo signed up for this http://amphibiankingwest.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=93b697c38489dcc06212c1329&id=9e8d7c16aa

10k!! He's only meant to run 25 mins. At this stage most of the flock start to spread their wings though, fair play to him :D

He's definitely signing up, he was all about it last night. He'll be well able for it :) and I'll get to keep doing my Saturday morning runs in Oranmore that I've grown to love so it's win win :)

I'll be calling to you either this week or next week to get a pair of Beast friendly trail running shoes. I've never had a pair before so I've no idea what I'm looking for. You're experience will be invaluable :)

Wednesday AM:

50 minutes on the Wattbike (average of 140watts). 5 min warm up and cool down, with sprints in-between, sprinting to a song on my headphones (usually around 170-180watts) and 1-2 mins off. I've read the watts that some of the guys and gals on these forums do, 280+ etc. I don't know how you can go that fast. My legs absolutely ache at anything above 200watts. I need a lot more time on the bike don't I?

Wednesday PM:

X-training/circuits of sorts. Tabata to start. Crab walks and sit ups. Followed this with six stations - 4x60secs with 10/15 off. On two stations we only had 1 break of 30 secs. Circuits were:
    1) mountain climbers (with cut out plastic bottles under our feet to be able to slide our feet along the floor - trainer must have watched a lot of Blue Peter :))
    3) 2mins of ab wheel/ 2mins renegade rows with 4kgs
    2) Combination of squats with 15kg & chin-ups
    3) squat - over head lift combo with 10kg weights
    4) ropes - I used to see people on TV using the ropes and couldn't understand why they were struggling with them. Smacking ropes off the ground can't be that difficult can it? YES it can, it's worse than sprinting for a min.
    5) 8x16kg kettle bell swings + 2 burpee combo. It was my first time upgrading to 16kgs for the kettle bell swings, progress is being made :) though I couldn't do a min of swings with them me thinks.

Sleep was bliss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Some good work going on here. :) Regarding watts, I am absolutely no expert...and I am quite weak in that regard myself, but don't get too hung up on it. Last year in my attempt to keep up with the big boys I injured myself quite badly, so be wise and listen to your body (and not your ego)!!! ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah forget about watts. Goodto guage progress but for teh Beast its all about time in the saddle, bike handling when you are knackered, cycling on trails in the dark and hike a bike and lifting your bike overthings like gates or streams :)

Thanks for the advice, lifting bike over gates or streams - I'm glad now I took team ARSEmates advice and ordered the lighter of the Boardman bikes (while staying within budget) :)

Thursday AM:

25 minutes on the Wattbike before circuit class (thanks for the advice Dory Dory and Shotgunmcos - I'm focusing on time in the saddle now rather than watts - will have my mountain bike in a few days so will finally be able to do some real life training/falling off).

Circuits: 10 stations with 4x60seconds on each. Today we had mountain climbers (oh the burn), squats with kettle bells, side planks with a pulse, walking lunges with weights, ropes, squat/over head combo with weights, crab walk, medicine ball bounce with a jump thrown in and I was so wrecked that I can't remember what the other ones were. My body is usually at 7.30am circuits but my mind is sometimes still at home in bed.

Thursday PM:

Easy run. No plan going out except to run easy, dodge the rain showers, enjoy the views (Galway bay, clare hills as the sun goes down) and come home when I felt like it. 8 miles later I was doing my stretches outside my front door, checked my watch, averaged 8:49 per mile. Sometimes its nice to go out without a plan and just enjoy it :):):)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Some good work going on here. :) Regarding watts, I am absolutely no expert...and I am quite weak in that regard myself, but don't get too hung up on it. Last year in my attempt to keep up with the big boys I injured myself quite badly, so be wise and listen to your body (and not your ego)!!! ;)

Thanks Dory Dory, if I'm honest, I am trying to do as much as I can so that I can keep up with the guys ..... or at least, not let them down. Next week will be an easier week :)

Thanks Dory Dory, if I'm honest, I am trying to do as much as I can so that I can keep up with the guys ..... or at least, not let them down. Next week will be an easier week :)

If you're anything like Kate it's not about keeping up with the boys its all about the boys being strong enough to control their pace and maintain to the end. Definitely the girls are a lot stronger than they give themselves credit for.
    So don't be putting yourself down or letting these thoughts into your head.

AKW wrote: »
    Definitely the girls are a lot stronger than they give themselves credit for. So don't be putting yourself down or letting these thoughts into your head.

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement :)

Friday AM:

60 minutes on the wattbike, couple of sprints thrown in but just cycling., getting used to the saddle and enjoying it.

Friday PM:

Attempted a run. Did 1.79 miles and felt my legs were too tired and heavy like blocks so took your advice Dory Dory and listened to them and headed for home.

Saturday AM:

4.8 miles @ 8:59/miles in Oranmore while C25K was running with his group. Really really enjoy this run on a Saturday morning, there's very few cars on the road, Renville woods is quiet and it's getting sunnier and warmer as the morning goes on. Legs were slightly less heavy this morning.

Saturday PM:

Plan was to do 3 loops of Diamond Hill to get some hill practice in. Team ARSE and I are doing the Maam Turks challenge (24.3 kilometers over tough, mountainous terrain and with a total ascent over the course of the walk of 2,336 meters followed by a MTB) in April so I need to remind my legs of what mountains are like. Stopped for breakie on the way out to Connemara and the winds started to pick up and the rain started to belt down like only it can in the West of Ireland.

Got to Diamond Hill, threw on rain jacket, jogged 2 miles up, turned a corner and the hail stone started and the wind whipped me off my feet. It was too dangerous to hit for the top and not worth twisting an ankle for so had to abort :( Glad I got out of the car and gave it a go though, would have felt super guilty if I'd headed for home without at least trying.

Sunday:

5 miles road race in Quilty (West Clare) . The second race in the Run Clare series. It was lashing rain as we headed for Clare. Heading for Quilty, we got caught in a snow storm, complete white out and I was thinking, how in the hell is this race going to go ahead. For those of you who don't know Quilty, it's a village right on the coast and the race route headed into the wind and along by the roaring sea for a mile and a half before turning south and heading back to the start. There's no ditches, houses or trees to hide behind and the wind was really whipping up.

Someone was smiling down on us because when we got there, the sun came out (we're not talking serious heat or anything, it was just hanging out, up in the sky). Over 500 brave souls turned up for the race. It started half way up an incline so we had a nice downhill to get us going. I completely miscalculated where I was in the pack when I started, I was way way back and it took me at least half a mile to negotiate the crowd and get to a position where I could start to run at my own pace. My plan was to run each mile just under 8 minutes and not burn myself out completely as I'm trying to use these races/runs as tempo runs. My splits were: 7:52, 7:59, 7:48, 7:53, 7:46 - 39:19 overall. I was happy to have held that pace given the wind, cold and the monster of a hill right at the end.

My Dad and brother (who came 3rd in his age category) were waiting for me at the finish line. I love local races as there's so many familiar faces and it's nice to see family at the end. A great race and the spread of food that was on offer afterwards was amazing.

Weekly Totals:

Running: 5:07 - 34ish miles
    Wattbike: 2:31
    Circuits: 3:00

Monday AM:

65 minutes on the Wattbike. Nothing too fancy, couple of sprints thrown in. Covered 35km at an average of 135 watts.

Monday PM:

8.01miles. I was dreading this all day even though I had an easy pace planned. It was cold and miserable and one where everything went wrong. Had to dodge loads of cars that seemed intent of knocking me down, the wind was howling in my face for the first 4 miles, knocking my headphones out of my ears, lost hair bobbin, hair all over the shop (I've a really long and thick mane so it's not very aerodynamic when it's blowing all over the place), dropped mini ipod .... you get the drift. Struggled around in 1:09 @ 8:43/mi and dam glad to have that box ticked. Last longish run before the Kinvara half marathon on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Diamond Hill?? I've hiked Diamond Hill a few times. Beautiful part of the country. :) My family is from Achill Island - have you ever been? I've done the Achill Half Marathon a few times. Love Achill - wild and rugged. Gorgeous!

Well done on your 5 mile race! Any particular goals for your half this weekend??

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Diamond Hill?? I've hiked Diamond Hill a few times. Beautiful part of the country. :) My family is from Achill Island - have you ever been? I've done the Achill Half Marathon a few times. Love Achill - wild and rugged. Gorgeous!

Well done on your 5 mile race! Any particular goals for your half this weekend??

Connemara is stunning, I love the view from the top of Diamond, the Bens, Kylemore and the islands off the West coast, not to mention the friendly people that you meet along the way, everyone has a smile and a nice word to say :) Next time your over, we'll have to pencil in a boardsies hike of the Glencoaghan Horseshoe or take on all of the 12 Bens in one day.

I was only up in Achill for the first time last summer. Its so pretty, the beach there is fab and we visited the famine village, I've no idea how people survived out there in the wind and cold in those stone houses - there's no shelter at all. I signed up for the Achill half last year but wasn't able to do it because of work commitments but it's on my calendar for this year. I've heard that it's one of the most scenic runs in Ireland. Were you born in Achill?

I've only done 3 halfs before, I did the Connemara half in 2013, with a good bit of training in 1:52 and two halfs last years with zero training in around the 2 hour mark ... so I'm not sure what to do this weekend. I don't want to push myself too much because I'm more focused on getting training done without injuring myself or burning out but I'd really like to beat my time for Connemara. There's a 1:50 pacer so I might stay with them. In the two halfs last year, I went out way too fast and ended up walking sections of mile 11 and 12 so I've learned my lesson. Any advice from a well seasoned pro? :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday AM:

15 minutes on the Wattbike followed by circuit class.
    Circuits were 10 stations of 4x50 seconds including sprints, the dreaded mountain climbers, boxing, kick boxing, jumping stuff tied into a giant rubber band, tag sprinting with my partner in crime, side jumps and all that sorta stuff.

Tuesday PM:

My first attempt at trail running, thanks AKW for introducing me to Trailrunning Tuesdays :) AKW gave me great advice on how to navigate using the moon, how best to get around the muddy corners without slipping and letting my feet and ankles relax so as not to turn over on them - if you're looking for advice, there's no better man, he's a pro. I really enjoyed getting out on the trails and will be doing plenty more of it. This should help with hiking and preparation for the Beast :)

Advertisement