Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New Adventure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Here you go:

HR TRAINING
    there have been a few heart rate training queries. Hopefully these posts will help (thanks Clearlier and meno), don't hesitate to come back with any more queries

Clearlier establishing your HR test post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...&postcount=129

Meno HR zones for marathon training
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...postcount=2852

Heart rate training zones
    http://www.runningforfitness.org/cal...lculators/hrtp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Neady83 wrote: »
    I don't use a heart rate monitor, I don't have one. Himself has one though, I could dig it out and give it a go. Does it matter that I haven't done lactate threshold testing to figure out my maximum heart rate? Easy and long runs should be done at 65 - 75% of MHR right?

If his is a Garmin HR monitor it will / should pair with your watch too. Just be careful once paired that when you are running together who ever is wearing it will have the data show up on both watches!! :D

For now just go off the standard zones that the watch will set up for you and don't worry about testing or anything else. Get used to the idea of zones and work from there. If you have a 5k coming up or similar do use it as a way to establish the max HR and work backwards.

Personally I find the Lactate Threshold a better target to work from but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

aquinn wrote: »
    Here you go:

HR TRAINING
    there have been a few heart rate training queries. Hopefully these posts will help (thanks Clearlier and meno), don't hesitate to come back with any more queries

Thanks A, you're a star for digging those out for me and for the advice :)

AKW wrote: »
    If his is a Garmin HR monitor it will / should pair with your watch too. Just be careful once paired that when you are running together who ever is wearing it will have the data show up on both watches!! :D

For now just go off the standard zones that the watch will set up for you and don't worry about testing or anything else. Get used to the idea of zones and work from there. If you have a 5k coming up or similar do use it as a way to establish the max HR and work backwards.

Personally I find the Lactate Threshold a better target to work from but that's just me.

Cheers AKW, when I asked him for his HRM last night, he dug the unopened box out of the boot of his car so there was no chance of my data showing up on his watch :D

So Santa will be bringing a voucher for Lactate Threshold Testing this year. Everyone that I know that has gone to Matt has only good things to say about it.

Wednesday

8.15 miles @ 10:00/min
    It was miserable outside so I decided on the comfort of the gym and the treadmill for this one ... plus I got to watch telly while I ran :) Will figure out how to use the heart rate monitor this evening :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

8.15 miles @ 10:00/min
    It was miserable outside so I decided on the comfort of the gym and the treadmill for this one ... :)

~82 minutes on a treadmill and still smiling. Fair play.

nop98 wrote: »
    ~82 minutes on a treadmill and still smiling. Fair play.

I didn't have to worry about my pace and the Great British Bake Off was on, I was delighted with myself though I had to stop off for a small bar of chocolate on my way home to satisfy the craving I got after watch all the nice deserts the peeps on the show made :) Mind you I wouldn't be mad on the treadmill for anything more than 90 minutes

Thursday AM

Circuits: 8x50 seconds

1) dumbbell boxing
    2) Dyna band shuffle
    3) Balancing on an exercise ball while doing push-ups with an upside down bosu ball - getting into position was more difficult than the exercise itself
    4) Side planks
    5) Window wipers
    6) Some very uncordinated jumps & throwing a medicine ball against the wall
    7) Bridges with medicine ball over head & back to bridge
    8) Squats with weights

Thursday Lunch

5.1miles easy @ 9:46/mile
    This was a tick the box exercise, I didn't really fancy it but it was on the plan so off I went. I was passing the track in Westside after 1.5 miles so I figured I'd do a few laps to clock up the milage and it would be easier on my legs. Each of the outer laps is roughly 0.25 miles and it's really squishy underfoot. I did 6 laps and continued on my merry way but I found when I got back on the concrete footh path that it was easier to run as there was more traction underfoot.

I'd been racking my brain all week trying to figure out an interesting route for this weekends LSR until someone mentioned a looped (& inexpensive) half and full marathon in Craughwell this Saturday morning. The half is 4 loops and the full is 8. Himself is doing the half so I'll either do the half and add on miles or do the full and drop out after 6 loops. I can leave my drinkies and gels on the table provided at the start and I'll have company on the route and I PROMISE that I'll stick to 10 minute miles - I wouldn't have a hope in hell of doing that milage at a quicker pace anyway.

Thursday AM

Circuits: 8x50 seconds

1) dumbbell boxing
    2) Dyna band shuffle
    3) Balancing on an exercise ball while doing push-ups with an upside down bosu ball - getting into position was more difficult than the exercise itself
    4) Side planks
    5) Window wipers
    6) Some very uncordinated jumps & throwing a medicine ball against the wall
    7) Bridges with medicine ball over head & back to bridge
    8) Squats with weights

Thursday Lunch

5.1miles easy @ 9:46/mile
    This was a tick the box exercise, I didn't really fancy it but it was on the plan so off I went. I was passing the track in Westside after 1.5 miles so I figured I'd do a few laps to clock up the milage and it would be easier on my legs. Each of the outer laps is roughly 0.25 miles and it's really squishy underfoot. I did 6 laps and continued on my merry way but I found when I got back on the concrete footh path that it was easier to run as there was more traction underfoot.

I'd been racking my brain all week trying to figure out an interesting route for this weekends LSR until someone mentioned a looped (& inexpensive) half and full marathon in Craughwell this Saturday morning. The half is 4 loops and the full is 8. Himself is doing the half so I'll either do the half and add on miles or do the full and drop out after 6 loops. I can leave my drinkies and gels on the table provided at the start and I'll have company on the route and I PROMISE that I'll stick to 10 minute miles - I wouldn't have a hope in hell of doing that milage at a quicker pace anyway.

We're watching :D

No racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I didn't have to worry about my pace and the Great British Bake Off was on,

Ah stop! I'm still suffering pavlova cravings after that showstopper!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

aquinn wrote: »
    We're watching :D

No racing.

and that would be 10++ minute miles!!

Friday

4.18miles @ 10:08/mile
    Nice easy run after work up and down the banks of the river Corrib - for the first time, I felt myself recovering, it felt goo on the legs.

Saturday

19.80 miles @ 10:00/mile
    Disclaimer No. 1: Moving pace was a bit slower than this as I forgot to turn off the auto stop on my watch & I stopped for a drinkie on each loop - I forgot to look at the clock when I finished the 6th loop
    Disclaimer No. 2: This LSR was longer than prescribed because the looped course I did was 3.275 & I couldn't bring myself to stop before the end

I figured there'd be no better way to get around this weekends LSR then to sign up for the Craughwell looped half marathon and tack on another few loops to make up the difference. The half was 4 loops and the marathon was 8 loops so I figured 6 would sort me out. It was a really well organised (& cheap) low key race. There was a clock but there was no official timing, each person kept count of their own number of loops and told the organisers at the end what their finish time was.

I left two bottles of electrolytes and some gels at the table provided at the start. There was also a table with plenty of water and half way around the loop there was another table with flat coke, jellies, water, jaffa cakes - you name it, it was there. There were only about 25/30 people at the start line at 9am but some had got a head start and begun at 8am (they had a separate clock).

I was determined to stick to my LSR pace and as soon as we hit off I fell into line with two lovely ladies from the Marathon Club Ireland (MCI) - there were a lot of runners with this singlet on it. We chatted away and the girls told me about their amazing running CVs and their plans for the future. We were also joined by a guy in the same club who was running his 11th marathon this year. There were some great stories exchanged and before we knew it we were nearly finished the second loop (the miles were flying by). The girls eased back a little bit but 11 marathon man and myself kept a nice steady pace together.

I found the third loop quite tough and was wondering if I'd have it in the legs to keep going at all but by the end of the third loop I was picking up again. I could not believe how quickly the fourth loop went by (miles 10 - 13ish). I was on my own for a bit of this as marathon man stopped to put on compression socks but he soon caught me and we chatted away. Loop 5 went equally as quickly with some of the faster guys passing us and us telling them how great they were doing. As we passed the clock for the fifth time, there was a nice crowd gathering to cheer us on. I stopped to take a gel and knock back a lot of water & off I went again. My legs were screaming a little bit now but the distraction of chatting to marathon man was working a treat. I was keeping an eye on my watch and knew I was going a bit too fast but I couldn't ask this guy to slow down a bit and I didn't want to loose him either as it was such a great help to have him (turns out he does some motivational speaking, I think he was working his magic on me).

I had broken the loop into 6 sections after the third loop so I was mentally ticking them off as we made our way around - I felt this really helped. We stopped for some flat coke at the half way mark on the last loop (my last loop, his 6th out of 8th) and off we went again. I was feeling really good - my hamstrings were a bit tight - but I felt I could have kept going. It did cross my mind to do another loop or even to finish the marathon but I knew better and was happy to have passed the 19 mile mark. Coming up to the clock for my last time, I thanked marathon man for being such great company and wished him well on his last two loops.

I wish there was a looped marathon I could do my LSRs on every week as it made it so much easier to keep going with all the little discussions and chats along the way. I usually run with earphones but I left them behind me today and didn't miss them in the slightest. To boot, I got a half marathon medal, a nice bit of bling for a training run.

Straight to Salthill for a paddle in the icy cold water after and my legs are feeling good. Delighted to have my longest run ever behind me :)

Great stuff Neady - there's no stopping you!

This event was suggested on the Novice thread: http://eastofirelandmarathons.com/events.html

It has a 20M run (in loops of 3M) and comes highly recommended. It's the weekend the boards plan has a 20M LSR, 26 Sept.

Might not be your part of the country, but thought I'd mention it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Well done. It's a lovely feeling to have a really long one in the bag and a great confidence booster :)

Well done, Neady... sounds like a nice way to tackle the long run. Great to have it done... only downside was the mention of 'flat coke'... ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done you!!

AKW wrote: »
    Ah stop! I'm still suffering pavlova cravings after that showstopper!!

I'm still dreaming about the ginormous chocolate gateaus from a few weeks back :):)
    Great stuff Neady - there's no stopping you!

This event was suggested on the Novice thread: http://eastofirelandmarathons.com/events.html

It has a 20M run (in loops of 3M) and comes highly recommended. It's the weekend the boards plan has a 20M LSR, 26 Sept.

Might not be your part of the country, but thought I'd mention it!

Thanks Nop, I think i'm in Mayo that weekend but I might try and fit it into the schedule. It's such a handy way of doing the long runs :)
    Well done. It's a lovely feeling to have a really long one in the bag and a great confidence booster :)

Thanks CM, it does feel great to have it in the bag. I know I can get throw the other long ones now that I've covered the 20 :)
    annapr wrote: »
    Well done, Neady... sounds like a nice way to tackle the long run. Great to have it done... only downside was the mention of 'flat coke'... ugh.

Thanks Anna, the flat coke was soooooooo good, I think I'll be making it a staple. Have you tried it?
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Well done you!!

Thanks DD :) I was thinking of you and the other Ironmen and women as I was running and thinking how tough you guys are to tack that distance onto a swim and a 112 mile bike, it's madness, it'd be in a heap in the corner.

Sunday

3.07 miles recovery @ 10:18/mile
    Nice out and back route on the prom at the am. I got to watch some of the triathlon that was on down the prom and got passed by a few of the runners/speedsters :D

Weekly Totals

Running: 7:27 (45.39 miles)
    Circuits: 2:00

Total: 9:27hours

Sunday

3.07 miles recovery @ 10:18/mile

V impressed, well done.

Super run on Saturday. Great for you.

Thanks Nop, I think i'm in Mayo that weekend but I might try and fit it into the schedule. It's such a handy way of doing the long runs :)

Let me know if it fits in. I might do it too, if there'll be a few friendly faces. :)

• Advertisement

Let me know if it fits in. I might do it too, if there'll be a few friendly faces. :)

I was looking at that too, looks like a good event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Thanks DD :) I was thinking of you and the other Ironmen and women as I was running and thinking how tough you guys are to tack that distance onto a swim and a 112 mile bike, it's madness, it'd be in a heap in the corner.

Likewise. Did my first 160k cycle the weekend before last. Couldn't imagine having started it after swimming 3.8k, then tacking on another 20km.....and then running a marathon. :o

I was looking at that too, looks like a good event.

It would be great to get a couple of folks together for this - anything to tackle the 20-miler! Let me know if you're doing it!

(sorry for thread-hijack, Neady!)

It would be great to get a couple of folks together for this - anything to tackle the 20-miler! Let me know if you're doing it!

(sorry for thread-hijack, Neady!)

No worries Nop :) I'm going to see if I can fit it in. I'm in Westport on the Friday night so it would be a silly o clock start but it's sooooo tempting. Any of you guys doing the Athlone 3/4?

No worries Nop :) I'm going to see if I can fit it in. I'm in Westport on the Friday night so it would be a silly o clock start but it's sooooo tempting. Any of you guys doing the Athlone 3/4?

I have a 22 miler in my plan that weekend :eek: definitely up for this if you guys are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

The Athlone 3/4 is brilliant and they have the best tshirts!!! I'd do it myself if I could run that far ;)

No, not doing the Athlone 3/4. Some opinions on the Novices thread is that it is too close to DCM and that many folks run it too hard. Personally, if I go to Athlone for a run, my long-suffering family might have changed the locks on me when I come home..
    I have a 22 miler in my plan that weekend :eek: definitely up for this if you guys are going.

Assuming you mean the 20 miler on Sep 26th, I'm up for it... But I can't believe Neady is actually considering driving from Westport for a 9am start :eek:
    The Athlone 3/4 is brilliant and they have the best tshirts!!! I'd do it myself if I could run that far ;)

No better reason to run 20 miles! :)

Ha you'd run rings around me, I've no doubt about that :) They posted a pic of this years t-shirt on facefriend last week and it's really nice, black with yellow long sleeves :) perfect for the cold Winter evenings :)
    No, not doing the Athlone 3/4. Some opinions on the Novices thread is that it is too close to DCM and that many folks run it too hard. Personally, if I go to Athlone for a run, my long-suffering family might have changed the locks on me when I come home..

I was disciplined with my pacing during last weekends outing so I'm hoping I'll be able to channel that again for Athlone :)

I hear you on the traveling and racing, I half expected to be orphaned and single by the time the Beast was over :D

Assuming you mean the 20 miler on Sep 26th, I'm up for it... But I can't believe Neady is actually considering driving from Westport for a 9am start :eek:

I just google mapped the route from Westport ... em I think I'm out :(

Monday

3.1 miles @ 10:07/mile
    This was supposed to be rest, nothing but rest but I was getting tetchy sitting on the couch, watching TV so I figured I'd get out and very slowly run it off.

Tuesday AM

Circuits: 8x70 seconds

1) Kettle bell swings & walking lunges with kettle bell
    2) Boxing & kicking
    3) Bouncing squats with a dyna band around thighs
    4) Squats with weights over the head
    5) Backward lunge while stretching a dyna band
    6) Dreaded bridges with an exercise ball
    7) Kneeling & 'running' with 5kg weights
    8) Sprints & high knees

My friend paired up with me for this so it made it more enjoyable. I could feel the muscles on the inside of the thighs stiffen up as we were doing these - the trainer never fails to leave any muscle group out with the sets he carefully puts together.

[Non-training Rant] The room we do these classes in is undergoing a makeover at the moment so I asked Enda, the instructor, what was going on. The gym are kitting out the two rooms where the classes are on with fancy projectors and instead of getting instructors in to teach you how to use equipment correctly, check your form and put together excellent classes, the classes will now be virtual classes where you follow the routines projected on the wall in front of you. One of the rooms will be used for nothing other than spinning classes. All day there will be virtual spinning classes going on and the instructors will slowly be phased out. Seriously, is this what we're faced with? Sure I may as well buy a DVD and do it at home myself. I'm really annoyed, particularly for the excellent gym instructors but I hope that any gym worth it's weight won't give this gimmick a second thought [Rant over]

Tuesday PB

8.73 miles @ 9:39/mile
    The plan called for 4 miles easy but I wanted to do the session with the club which was 6x6minutes off 90 seconds recovery. I figured when I was going to do a session that I may as well hit Wednesdays 8 mile target and change Wednesday and Thursdays runs to 4 easy and 4 easy with strides.

3 mile warm up @ 10:12
    Instead of sticking with my usual group of speedsters I kept the 6 minute efforts between 8:30/mile & 8:40/mile pace and slowed it right down on the 90 second recovery. Cool down mile was done @ 10:12/miles. This felt like a good compromise between the 8 miles easy and doing the session and I didn't feel shattered after it.

• Advertisement

I just google mapped the route from Westport ... em I think I'm out :(

I knew you were hardy, but I did wonder about that... :) pity! a 9am start is challenging enough coming from Dublin!!

Advertisement