Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New Adventure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Wednesday

5.57 miles @ 10:18/mile
    ........ brought to you by the Great British Bake off. It was sugar free cakes, gluten free pitta bread and dairy free ice-cream numminess this evening. This was only supposed to be 4 miles easy but the programme lasted 53 minutes so I has to go with it. I did the first 5 @ 10:00//mi and the rest at a walk to cool down.

ps. I went and got Nobó dairy free chocolate ice-cream as a treat after this one :) nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Dairy free chocolate ice cream?? Dairy free??

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Dairy free chocolate ice cream?? Dairy free??

It's the best ice-cream I've ever tasted, even better than gelato. It's made with coconut milk, honey, avocado, cacao-powder, toasted almonds and sea salt. They do lots of flavours but I've only ever tasted the chocolate and the Fresh Lemon one which has coconut-milk, honey, avocado, lemon juice, vanilla extract, fresh lemon oil.

Bó means cow in Irish so Nobó is a play on it, no cow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Neady83 wrote: »
    It's the best ice-cream I've ever tasted, even better than gelato. It's made with coconut milk, honey, avocado, cacao-powder, toasted almonds and sea salt. They do lots of flavours but I've only ever tasted the chocolate and the Fresh Lemon one which has coconut-milk, honey, avocado, lemon juice, vanilla extract, fresh lemon oil.

Bó means cow in Irish so Nobó is a play on it, no cow :)

I was going to be really snotty and say how could it be dairy free ice cream... but when you list the ingredients.... mmmmm...... must have a look for it.

Thursday AM

Circuits: 8 circuits with 4x55 seconds on each

Thursday PM

3 miles recovery @ 10:13/mile
    I've had to switch things around a bit this week and bring my long run for forward by a day. I've a wedding on Saturday and had planned by LSR on the morning before the wedding but could only get a hair appointment for 9.30am so I figured I'd get it our of the way on Friday evening. Guys, you don;t know how easy you have it.

Friday

20 miles @ 10:00/mile, 420ft elevation gain
    Like last week I had the auto-pause on so this was actually a bit slower than 10:00/mile. I left a bag with a bottle of water with electrolytes and two gels inside the wall of the house and planned to loop by the house a few times to keep me hydrated. I did everything right during the day: big bowl of porridge for breakfast, pasta for lunch (and the night before) and drank lots of water. I was ready for road and hitting out the gap by 5:30.

I swung by the house on mile 8 to take a drink and again at mile 13. I also took a viper boost gel at mile 13 (last week I took an isogel at mile 16). I found it really tough on my own. With nobody to chat to at times all I could think about was the pain in my legs - not injury pain but that aching you get from running such long distances. I was really feeling it by mile 17 and did contemplate throwing in the towel but I talked myself out of it. I took another drink at mile 18 and knew this would get me home. From mile 16 onwards, hopping up on and down off footpaths continuously was hurting quite a bit. Nonetheless I made it home and was happy to have it done but I did find it much much tougher than last weeks run.

I did some stretching outside, came in and sat for a few minutes while I drank some water, maybe 500ml. Got to my room where I had the urge to lie on the floor for a it, as you do. Spent 15 or 20 minutes there before I started to get cold so I tried to gather myself to shower and to warm up but I was shivering with the cold and felt like rubbish. Had a shower doubled over with a pain in my tummy and finally got myself back into bed and all wrapped up. An hour or more after my run I was shivering uncontrollably and threw up all the water that I'd drank. Got sick once more after that, all water, before I was able to warm up and normality resumed about two hours after I finished my run. Was able to stomach a cup of tea and some ginger biscuits (it's all I and in the house). I felt like absolute rubbish for the whole two hours but after my tea and bickies I was Aok.

Any idea on what it might have been? Did I get too cold after the run or could it have been the viper boost even though it was so long after I took it and I felt fine on the run. Maybe only having 6 days between the two long runs took it out of me. It was a completely different experience than last year.

I'm dam glad that I didn't leave it until this morning to tackle it or I'd be in some state for the wedding :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

When you run the sympathetic nervous system takes over. Fight or Flight. Blood is diverted away from the digestive system to your heart, lungs and leg muscles. Normally your digestive system is contracting in gentle waves but when you do a very long run it becomes static and your stomach shrinks. When you stop running it takes a little while for the parasympathetic system (Rest and Digest) to start working again. It sounds like you drank too much too quickly. It wasn't absorbed and lying down on the floor didn't help and you just regurgitated it. Nothing to worry about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done on the 20-miler Neady, especially the mental battle. Sorry to hear about the post-run experience.

I am by no means an expert like career move, but I do follow the advice that DG has given on the Novices thread. She warned against waiting to long before showering after the LSR - your body's defences are down after the LSR and getting too cold is just a bad idea.

I also have the urge to eat and drink all around me (less so lately since I am taking more fluids during the run) but I am having only a very small snack before showering a.s.a.p.

Hope you feel better.

B.t.w. pity you can't make the Longwood run (I never acknowledged that). If Anna and I do it, we'll post long reports just to show how fabulous it was and how the miles just flew by. Here's hoping :)

Hi Neady, just read your LSR report on the novices thread.. sorry to hear how it ended... at the same time, I'm weirdly reassured by it... mine felt much harder this week than last too and I am always a shivering mess when i get home :) CM's scientific explanation above was really helpful, I always put it down to you have just stressed your system and exhausted yourself (in my case anyway). That's why you're more susceptible to catching a chill or whatever too.

I never feel like eating right away, but I read somewhere that an apple is ideal to start replenishing.... i find it helpful to have a few bites of an apple and a few nuts for protein, before showering etc. Chocolate milk is good too.

You have great will power to stash drinks at home and stop there a couple of times on a long run. I have to get as far away from home as possible, so that I have no choice but to keep running, I'd never have the will power to keep going if I stopped at home along the way :)

Well done though, you are clocking up the miles!

nop98 wrote: »
    Well done on the 20-miler Neady, especially the mental battle. Sorry to hear about the post-run experience.

I am by no means an expert like career move, but I do follow the advice that DG has given on the Novices thread. She warned against waiting to long before showering after the LSR - your body's defences are down after the LSR and getting too cold is just a bad idea.

I also have the urge to eat and drink all around me (less so lately since I am taking more fluids during the run) but I am having only a very small snack before showering a.s.a.p.

Hope you feel better.

B.t.w. pity you can't make the Longwood run (I never acknowledged that). If Anna and I do it, we'll post long reports just to show how fabulous it was and how the miles just flew by. Here's hoping :)

haha, let's just do the reports and skip the run ;)

When you run the sympathetic nervous system takes over. Fight or Flight. Blood is diverted away from the digestive system to your heart, lungs and leg muscles. Normally your digestive system is contracting in gentle waves but when you do a very long run it becomes static and your stomach shrinks. When you stop running it takes a little while for the parasympathetic system (Rest and Digest) to start working again. It sounds like you drank too much too quickly. It wasn't absorbed and lying down on the floor didn't help and you just regurgitated it. Nothing to worry about :D

Thanks CM, it's really helpful to know the science behind all of this, understanding it makes it easier to solve the problem :)

• Advertisement

nop98 wrote: »

Hope you feel better.

Thanks Nop :) I was much better on Saturday and was able to take full advantage of all the food at the wedding :) though the main course tasted a little bitter after Mayo lost (wedding in Mayo surrounded by a table of weeping Mayo people)

Yea, I did let myself get too cold - I'll leave a hoodie and tracksuit bottoms at the bottom of the stairs anymore so that I can stay warm until my legs feel ready to climb the stairs to the shower :D:D

It's amazing how all these little things have an effect on recovery, things I would usually not give a second thought to.

I'm gutted to miss the run, it would have been lovely to meet you guys before DCM. I will expect glowing reports of miles of running that were never felt on the legs :)

annapr wrote: »
    Hi Neady, just read your LSR report on the novices thread.. sorry to hear how it ended... at the same time, I'm weirdly reassured by it... mine felt much harder this week than last too and I am always a shivering mess when i get home :) CM's scientific explanation above was really helpful, I always put it down to you have just stressed your system and exhausted yourself (in my case anyway). That's why you're more susceptible to catching a chill or whatever too.

I never feel like eating right away, but I read somewhere that an apple is ideal to start replenishing.... i find it helpful to have a few bites of an apple and a few nuts for protein, before showering etc. Chocolate milk is good too.

You have great will power to stash drinks at home and stop there a couple of times on a long run. I have to get as far away from home as possible, so that I have no choice but to keep running, I'd never have the will power to keep going if I stopped at home along the way :)

Well done though, you are clocking up the miles!

Thanks Anna and +1 in that I was strangely happy to hear that I wasn't the only one to find this more difficult than the first big one.

Thanks for the tip on chocolate milk, I remember having it in Achill after the half & it settled my tummy so I got a bottle this morning :)

It crossed my mind every time I passed the house to just call it a day. How silly is it that one of the things that kept me going was the thought of getting a new longest run PB on my watch? :D:D

Saturday

Eating and dancing, lots of it :)

Sunday

5miles @ 10:03/mile
    This was done around a very sleepy Westport. I'd usually just make the cut off for breakfast the morning after a wedding but I got new runners on Saturday (thanks for the fitting AKW) and I was eager to try them out so I was up and out at the crack of dawn. I'd forgotten how dang hilly Westport is.

The only sign of life was a lil jack russell dog, with the green & red of Mayo draped around his neck, all on his lonesome looking up at the the door of a house, hoping to be let in. I'd imagine that's what lots of Mayo fans felt like on Sunday morning.

Weekly Totals

Running: 7:32 (45miles)
    Circuits: 2:00

Total: 9 hours 32mins

I'm beginning to feel like a fraud having my log among the T/D/AR training logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

martyboy48 wrote: »

So tempting Marty but after DCM I'll be back on the saddle and I'll be saying that I feel like a fraud on the other side :D

ps. I'm keeping an eye on your log, you're doing great things :)

Monday

A day of rest :)

Tuesday

Couldn't haul my ass outta bed for the gym before work so I got home, put on my running gear but before I headed out the door, my friend called to say his car was missing from the housing estate I live in (he parks it there & walks to the Uni - lots of University students and workers park here instead of paying for a permit to park in college). After a search of the entire estate and knocking on a few doors we called the county council and sure enough he'd been towed for obstruction. Dropped him to the impound to get his car (€165 for the tow & €60 fine :eek:) and listened to him give out about the council and by the time that was done, I was done.

I sat on the couch for the rest of the evening in my running gear feeling guilty that I'd nothing done all day.

Wednesday

9 miles @ 9:17/mile
    This was a rage run. Some student had blocked my car in with their shoddy parking in the morning so I missed a meeting and everything went to pot after that (I really hope the note I left them doesn't end up on social media, it was less than flattering). I was supposed to be tapering for Athlone but when I got home all sense and logic went out the window and I just ran. It did the trick though :) all smiles going to bed.

Thursday AM

Circuits
    Lots and lots of squats and lunges with dyna bands and planks. I knew I was going to pay for it later.

Thursday PM

9miles @ 9:53/mile
    Completely off plan again but my legs and thighs were starting to tighten/stiffen so I thought this might help. Felt good running so I just kept on going. It was a nice evening along the prom.

Friday

6 miles @ 10:00/mile
    Not exactly what was needed the night before a half marathon but all my training all week went to pot so I figured I'd nothing to loose.

Walking like a geriatric all day, climbing the stairs took some effort. Dear god, what did the trainer do to us yesterday, it must have been the dyna bands. Running seemed to offer a short term solution to the stiffness.

Saturday

Athlone Flatline Half Marathon
    2 miles @ 9:09/mile
    13.1 miles @ 8:55/mile

This was supposed to be 1 mile wu/ half marathon at PMP (9:08)/1 mile wd. I had considered racing it but with the way my week went and the stiffness in my legs, I thought it better not to even attempt it.

I started with my 1 mile warm up, taking it nice and handy and figured I'd get my 2 miles done before the race because I knew once I crossed the line, there was no way I'd be cooling down with a run because of the stiffness in my legs. On mile 2 I met the 1:45 pacer and we chatted away - I didn't notice the pace creeping up so there you go, 2 miles warm up @ PMP :o.

I tucked in behind the 2 hour pacers for the off and stayed with them for 6 miles. There was a girl in the group who had the beep beeps on her watch and it was going off every 7 seconds, beep beep beep beepbeepbeep - the long beep beep sequence, not just a single beep. It was driving me nuts so I pushed on ever so slightly, enough so that I could hear the pacers chatting but not hear her watch.

The pace felt fine and I was glad to be out of the group as I was able to sustain my pace without slowing and edging in and out around people. It was quite warm so I took a bottle of water at each water station and carried it with me until I got to the next station. It was nice to chat to people as we went around the course (a nice flat one).

The last mile felt tough but overall it was a good race and on reflection I'm happy to have 15 miles at PMP under my belt even though this was an absolute shambles of a week training wise and completely not what I should be doing.

Will do better next week :)

p.s. The Athlone half is a cracker of a race. I registered way back when for €20 and for that I got a great long sleeved technical t-shirt that will serve me well for the winter, water bottles along the course, a medal and post race refreshments. Excellently organised and a great atmosphere along the whole course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good stuff. 15m @PMP nothing shabby about that :D

Good stuff. 15m @PMP nothing shabby about that :D

Thanks CM, I hung my head in shame posting it on the novice thread :o

Sunday

4.5 miles @ 9:30/mile
    I did this on the treadmill because it was a wee bit wet outside. The rain I can handle but there was no way I was taking my new runners out in those puddles :) Loved loved loved this run. My legs felt fresh again as the stiffness from Thursdays circuits is finally abating :)

Weekly Totals: 43ish miles and one dam hard circuit class

I'm about to hop on a plane for Washington DC for work so this weeks training will be all over the shop. There's a treadmill in the place I'm staying though so that should help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Neady, I'm exhausted just reading your log! You are a fecking animal! Great job.

Best of luck training for DCM, it's a nice route and won't be a bother to ya!

Very jealous! :)

• Advertisement

Just catching up here, Neady, well done on the HM, great run to have under your belt... looks like your PMP is coming down... ;)

Enjoy DC, nice place to run at this time of year if the jet lag works to your advantage.

What??? You are in DC??? I am a mere 100 miles from you!!! How long will you be here???

What??? You are in DC??? I am a mere 100 miles from you!!! How long will you be here???

Yup, I'm in DC, it's soooooooooo hot. How do you train in this heat???? I'm only here until Friday morning :( Flying visit.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Yup, I'm in DC, it's soooooooooo hot. How do you train in this heat???? I'm only here until Friday morning :( Flying visit.

Hahahahaha!!!!! Sooooooooo hot??? Hahahahaha!!! Honey, this is a cold snap we're having.. :D:eek:

Next time you are in town, let me know! The DC area/Alexandria is my old stomping grounds!

Hahahahaha!!!!! Sooooooooo hot??? Hahahahaha!!! Honey, this is a cold snap we're having.. :D:eek:

Next time you are in town, let me know! The DC area/Alexandria is my old stomping grounds!

I figured as much when I overheard two ladies chatting at the checkout this evening, one was saying to the other that she didn't know whether to put summer or fall clothes on this morning!!! My jaw was on the ground as I stood there in shorts and a tank top with sweat rolling off me :D

I wasn't able to walk from one meeting to the next without taking a breather in an air conditioned café :D

Will give you plenty of notice next time :) this was all arranged last minute as my boss man pulled out and sent me to do his work.

Monday

Rest
    I flew to Washington Monday morning with the intention of doing 3 miles recovery when I got here but by the time I got to my apartment, did a rece and got food in, it was dark and I was only fit for bed.

Tuesday

6.23miles Easy @ 9:46/mile
    Up and at em early so only got out in the PM. I went for dinner with some people I was meeting for work before getting out for a run so this was done with a belly stuffed full of sushi.

I ran towards the Lincoln memorial, which turned out to be exactly a mile away from where I’m staying. There’s lots of stopping to wait at traffic lights which made this first mile nice and easy.

This turned into a sightseeing run as I took in the Lincoln Memorial, the National WWII Memorial, the stunning Washington Monument, all the way up to the United States Capital and then I swung around by the White House for good measure before hitting for home. It got dark as I was out running so all the monuments were lit up and it didn’t feel anything like 6 miles :)

I had a 750ml bottle of water with me and needed every last drop but I spotted some water fountains so I knew I wouldn’t shrivel up altogether :)

Wednesday AM

Today called for 1 mile wu/9 miles @ PMP/1 mile wd

I wanted to get this one out of the way bright and early and before it got too warm. By the time I had answered all the e-mails that had come in during the night, it was 8am before I got going. Dear god, the heat, from the minute I walked out the door – I knew this was going to hurt. DD I don’t know how you train in this and this is cool you say???? I’m not built for heat at all :D

I did the 1 mile wu which brought me as far as the Lincoln memorial but the sun was already high in the sky so I ran around the big pond in front of the memorial, trying to make the most of the shade from the trees. It’s a little over a mile around the big pond so I figured I’d keep going around at PMP but I had my 750ml downed after 2 miles so I decided that in the interest of health and safety and me not turning into a puddle that I’d do 4 @ PMP, hit for home and try again later.

Total: 6.10miles: 1 mile wu, 4 @ PMP, 1 mile wd
    Splits:
    9:35
    9:19
    9:12
    9:00
    9:02
    10:19

Wednesday PM

I got out for this one before dinner and just before it got dark. It was a lot cooler than this mornings run but the sweat was still rolling off me 3 minutes into the warm up. There were some very cutsey squirrels by the trees down near the memorial. I had spied water fountains at each corner of my 1 mile square so I drank from these when I was thirsty (which was a lot).

The PMP miles were a bit fast but I felt good doing them so I hope it makes up for not doing the set as prescribed. Rocked in home after sweating about 2 litres of fluid from my body and with flies stuck to every inch of me, yuk yuk yuk.

6.33 miles: 1 mile wu, 4 @ PMP, 1 mile wd.
    Splits:
    9:50
    8:52
    8:47
    8:38
    8:42
    10:22

Today didn’t exactly go to plan but it’s 12 miles in the bank all the same. I’m going to miss those squirrels when I go back to the Emerald Isle :(

Psst, that "big pond" in front of the Lincoln Memorial is the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool....aka, the reflecting pool. ;) You can see the Washington Monument dead on from it too!

And this weather we are having right now is quite mild. Summer days can run 20 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than what we are experiencing right now. :eek: Can you say "miserable"??

Psst, that "big pond" in front of the Lincoln Memorial is the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool....aka, the reflecting pool. ;) You can see the Washington Monument dead on from it too!

And this weather we are having right now is quite mild. Summer days can run 20 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than what we are experiencing right now. :eek: Can you say "miserable"??

Thanks DD, I had time to do a proper tourist trail on Thursday with one of my colleagues so we walked, read and learned loads. The reflecting pool is beautiful, especially at night when the lights are reflecting against it :)

I can only imagine the heat in the summer, I'm such a wuss, I wouldn't be able to cope at all.

When we were heading for Dulles airport, I saw a 'Welcome to Virginia' sign so I was in your state for a lil bit :)

Thursday Sept 17th

5.2 miles @ 9:53
    One last night time run around the White House & Lincoln Memorial savoring the sounds of the city. I really enjoyed listening to the chorus of the crickets.

Friday Sept 18th

5.1 miles @ 10:07
    Up at silly o clock to get this done before hitting to the airport - actually I just wanted to say goodbye to the squirrels in playing in the park.

Saturday Sept 19th

Rest, ZZZZs, pick n' mix and watched Everest at the cinema. An epic portrayal of a tragic day. Starting to get an itch to go back to the Alps next year. Climbing went out the window this year because of the Beast but there's some 4,000ers in the Italian Alps that I've my eye on.

Sunday Sept 20th

16.05 miles @ 9:28/mi
    I had resigned myself to the fact that this run just wasn't going to happen. Usually when there's a longish run looming, it's all I can think about and I prepare for it by hydrating and eating well yada yada yada. I wasn't feeling the love for doing this so I was eating not so good for you food on Sunday (it was the pick n'mix that set me on a downward spiral).

After the fooseball match I decided that I couldn't let it hang over me until Monday so I reluctantly put on my runners, begged himself to do 6 miles of it with me and sulked heading out the door when he refused :(

I figured I'd do two 8 mile loops and get water when passing the house but I also had money with me in case I needed water out there.

You know those sessions that you really don't want to do, hate the thought of but then you get out there and they're the best session you've had in ages. Well, this was one of them. I enjoyed every step of it, it was warm but there was some mist blowing to keep me cool. I headed up Taylors hill, down Kingston Road and around by the prom. It was miserable for anyone out walking so there were only a handful of people out and most nodded and said hello as I passed. There was a gentle breeze pushing me along as I chewed up the prom. The first two miles were nice and slow but I decided to throw in a few miles at PMP here and there as I was feeling good.

At mile 8 I popped into the house, grabbed a quick drink and used my inhaler (going from the heat in DC to the cooler air here has me a bit out of sorts but this fixed the tightness in my chest). I loved heading up Taylors Hill for a second time and enjoyed the second loop as much as the first.

I burst in the door grinning from ear to ear and himself was gutted that he hadn't come with me. Another box ticked.

45 miles in total for the week.

Monday Sept 21st

I've swopped weeks on the boards plan to account for the Athlone 3/4 next week so this week is 3/3/8/5/3/18/3

4.6 miles @ 9:44/mile
    This was done treadmill style as it was milling rain outside but I was kicked out as they were closing before I got to 5 miles boooooooooo

Tuesday Sept 22nd

AM
    Circuits including short sprints, boxing and burpees, wall runs, bear crawls, crab walk with dyna band, windscreen wipers & all that sorta stuff.

PM

8.85 miles: 3m wu/6x6mins @ HMP off 90 sec rec/1m wd

Training with the club which was to be 1m wu/6x6mins (90sec rec)/1m wd.

I figured I'd use this as my 8 mile MLR so I started early and did 2 miles very slow before the official wu.

I decided to do the 6mins at HMP which was roughly 8:10/mile. This felt comfortable and I enjoyed the session. It's amazing how quickly the time goes by when you have a plan and people to follow - once that first whistle goes there's no time to think about what you're doing :) The pace averaged out at 9:45/mile

Wednesday Sept 23rd

45:00 on the wattbike, spinning it out nice and gently

I was awake early and didn't want to run less than 12 hours after a session so figured 45 minute on the wattbike wouldn't do any harm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

FFS Neady. It's taken me more time to read your last post than I spent training this week. Would you ever consider letting on that you're not putting the rest of us to shame? :(

Advertisement