Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New Adventure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ok, mind yourself and your version and mine of taking it easy are very different after you posted your schedule and then mentioned it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

aquinn wrote: »
    Ok, mind yourself and your version and mine of taking it easy are very different after you posted your schedule and then mentioned it!!

+1. Hope you don't have to resort to antibiotics so close to the 26th. I had similar this time last year 😷

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Too much fraternizing with that career move!!! ;) Yikes! Get over that chest infection (or whatever you call it) now!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Yep you want to be 100% clear of it at least a week before the marathon. You've more to lose now than you have to gain so do yourself a favour...eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Thanks for all the advice guys, I took it easy, a few easy peasy miles at lunch to keep the legs ticking over and I got the better of it, feeling much better today :)

But, um, my wisdom tooth has come through the gum and caused a world of pain yesterday so I went to the dentist this morning. It's infected so anti-biotics and pain killers are the order of the day. It probably hasn't helped that I've been drinking and washing my teeth with water from the tap that's been contaminated with kerosene, again. It's probably what's been causing the chestiness too.

It's all good though, the little pink pain killers the dentist gave me are keeping everything rosy in the garden :) I can't believe I'm a teething 32 year old.

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    +1. Hope you don't have to resort to antibiotics so close to the 26th. I had similar this time last year 😷

Do you think they affected your marathon last year Anna? I'm blaming the taper for all of this, too much time for bacteria to be multiplying inside me and causing all sorts of bother. If they were running lots of miles they wouldn't have the energy to be multiplying ;)

Oh did you get Ponston? Wisdom tooth pain is horrible. Please only bottled or boiled water in future.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Do you think they affected your marathon last year Anna? I'm blaming the taper for all of this, too much time for bacteria to be multiplying inside me and causing all sorts of bother. If they were running lots of miles they wouldn't have the energy to be multiplying ;)

Oh no Neady, those bugs are out to get you.

I hate to say it but I think it did affect me last year... :( But also combined with heat. I just ran out of energy quicker than I should have. Then again, I didn't have anything near the mileage and fitness that you have under my belt either (or that I have this year for that matter).

Fingers crossed that you get all sorted quickly. Or you might be back with me in the 4:10's!!! :eek:

Oh did you get Ponston? Wisdom tooth pain is horrible. Please only bottled or boiled water in future.

No, they're melfen 400mg ibuprofen. They're only lasting 3 hours and the pain kicks in again. Anti-biotics should be kicking in tomorrow though so that will knock it on the head hopefully. Never drinking the tap water here again.
    Oh no Neady, those bugs are out to get you.

I hate to say it but I think it did affect me last year... :( But also combined with heat. I just ran out of energy quicker than I should have. Then again, I didn't have anything near the mileage and fitness that you have under my belt either (or that I have this year for that matter).

Fingers crossed that you get all sorted quickly. Or you might be back with me in the 4:10's!!! :eek:

Thanks Anna. I'd be flipping delighted to with the 4:10's and to have your company until you bolt for it at mile 23 :)

We're around the same mark on milage this year (though you've way more quality sessions done than me) so we're well set for the battle. I hope this doesn't knock too much out of me but if it does I'll get round the course in some shape or form. I can't complain as I've gotten through the year fairly unscathed for what I've been up to :)

you'll be fine, you have so much endurance and all those dyna band thingies to fall back on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

In some ways, the timing of this wisdom tooth thing might be perfect. (will you have to have them removed at some point?) One thing's for sure, your attitude about the whole thing is spot on! Don't sweat it! Between now and the marathon, get plenty rest and keep eating properly. As the others have said, you've done loads of training, your endurance has been proven, so trust in it all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Neady! How's it going? Bugs, tapering, niggles, target-times?

you'll be fine, you have so much endurance and all those dyna band thingies to fall back on :D

Thanks Anna, the meter long red band might come in handy during the marathon, I can lasso someone with it and use them to pull me over the line :)
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    In some ways, the timing of this wisdom tooth thing might be perfect. (will you have to have them removed at some point?) One thing's for sure, your attitude about the whole thing is spot on! Don't sweat it! Between now and the marathon, get plenty rest and keep eating properly. As the others have said, you've done loads of training, your endurance has been proven, so trust in it all. :)

Thanks DD, I appreciate it :) I learn for the best (your good self) when it comes to attitude. This is the last wisdom tooth to come through, I've had no bother with the others really except for one infection. This one is coming up straight and there's room for it so it should be fine but anymore than two infections and he said he'll take it out.
    nop98 wrote: »
    Neady! How's it going? Bugs, tapering, niggles, target-times?

Hi Nop, all going well except for my tooth. It's much improved today though and I'm taking less pain killers :) I'm kinda enjoying the tapering and the shorter runs. I have the 8 miler to do tomorrow but I might leave it off until Monday if my gum is still swollen. I'd like to be fit enough to enjoy the 8 miles and not be wishing them away :D

I am sitting here wondering how in the bjasus am I going to be able to run 26 miles next week but I've full faith in the plan and that it will get me to the finish line. You posted a fantastic piece in the Novices thread this week and it really resonated, thank you. The 26 miles next week isn't the challenge, the challenge has been the hundreds of miles that we've covered to get ourselves to the start line next week and the friendships we've forged along the way. Whatever happens on the day, we worked our arses off.

I'm hoping for sub-4 hours, even a second under the four will make me the happiest girl in Dublin but I won't be gutted with anything +4 as long as I enjoy it, meet you guys and hi-five as many kids as I can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

I am sitting here wondering how in the bjasus am I going to be able to run 26 miles next week but I've full faith in the plan and that it will get me to the finish line. You posted a fantastic piece in the Novices thread this week and it really resonated, thank you. The 26 miles next week isn't the challenge, the challenge has been the hundreds of miles that we've covered to get ourselves to the start line next week and the friendships we've forged along the way. Whatever happens on the day, we worked our arses off.

I'm hoping for sub-4 hours, even a second under the four will make me the happiest girl in Dublin but I won't be gutted with anything +4 as long as I enjoy it, meet you guys and hi-five as many kids as I can :)

I am fairly sure you'll outlast all of us in terms of endurance! But I agree, anything over 20M is uncharted territory. Going to try my damnest for the sub-4, but I will drop it immediately once it won't work out. As you say, hi-fiving the kids and soaking it up is as much a target for the day.

I'm lining up somewhere behind the 4h's and hopefully see you there!

Great attitude Neady and Nop! So long as you're willing to adjust for the unforeseen on the day (weather and tooth!), you'll be fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Not long now Neady!

You've had a great year so far, i've no doubt that next week wont phase you. Just move the legs, soak up the atmosphere and enjoy it!

Not long now Neady!

You've had a great year so far, i've no doubt that next week wont phase you. Just move the legs, soak up the atmosphere and enjoy it!

Thanks WH, I appreciate it :) I'm really looking forward to it but I'll miss my ARSEs. This is the first big un I've taken on this year all by myself. The Boardsies will more than make up for my teamies though :):)

How are you feeling now?

This log needs a bit of updating. Today is the first day that I've felt like my ol self since my tooth started bothering me (and it's my first pain killer free day) so it's time to get my head back in this game. I feel like I haven't done anything in ages and all my running ability is gone but I'll take me legs out this evening to see what's left in them. I missed my 8 miler this weekend so I might compromise with 6 easy this evening.

I had a deep tissue massage with the physio last Tuesday and felt really good after it. He told me that my calves were tight and I'd a few hot spots in my quads but other than that, everything is in perfect working order. I've another lighter massage this evening and a recovery one next week (he talked me into it by giving me a deal on the three).

Tuesday Oct 13th PM

3.6 miles easy @ 9:35/mi

Wednesday Oct 14th

4 miles easy @ 9:32/mi

Thursday Oct 15th AM

1 mile warm up on the treadmill before circuits. Circuits were 10 stations @ 4x50seconds per station. Lots of weights. I was in a world of pain with my tooth but was lying awake in bed thinking of nothing but the pain so I hit for the gym and it did distract from it :)

Thursday Oct 15th PM

4 miles easy @ 9:55/mi

Friday Oct 15th

3 miles @ 14:44/mi. My friend wants to take up running so I'm doing the C25K program with her after work three evenings a week. With the amount of pain killers I was taking, I figured that it wouldn't be wise to do much more than this.

Sat & Sun

Pain, sleep, sniffles, eating my body weight in chocolate.

Monday

3 miles @ 13:34/mi. C25K with my friend. It's so great to see her improving already and struggling less with the 90seconds of running :)

Tuesday

Circuits. 10 stations @ 4x50 seconds per station. I hadn't planned on doing this but I woke feeling great so I wanted to head in. It was all light stuff and I stayed away from any weights. Felt so good to be enjoying doing something again.

How are you feeling now?

Snap :) Soooooo much better today, thanks for asking A :) If the marathon had been on yesterday, there was very little chance of me pulling myself together to do it but I know I'll be fine for next Monday by the way I'm feeling today - it's like the dark clouds have lifted. I never realised how much pain a tooth can cause.

• Advertisement

Does anyone ever go for a sports massage and NOT get told they have tight calves? :cool:

Happy to hear you are over the worst of it, Neady. Don't overdo it now just because you missed some runs last week.

Does anyone ever go for a sports massage and NOT get told they have tight calves? :cool:

Maybe to keep Physioterrorist visits interesting we need a game of Physio bingo - cross off the diagnoses and whoever gets a clear card in the fewest visits wins?

Happy to hear you are over the worst of it, Neady. Don't overdo it now just because you missed some runs last week.

Thanks Anna, I read your post just as I was hitting out the door and instead of the 6 I was planning to do, I stuck to 4. You're right, there's nothing to be gained from playing catch up this week :)
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Maybe to keep Physioterrorist visits interesting we need a game of Physio bingo - cross off the diagnoses and whoever gets a clear card in the fewest visits wins?

Physioterrorist :D:D

He told me his wife, who is also a physioterrorist, sprained her ankle on a plastic bottle at mile 13 last year and hobbled to the finish line. Be careful of the bottles peeps, they're out to get us

Tuesday PM

4.1miles @ 9:23/mi
    This was a late one. I had to go back to the office after physio so it was after 10 when I got out so I stuck to the busier well lit roads. There was a heavy mist falling, a cool breeze and there were very few people about the city. It's been a while since I ran in the dark and rain. It was nice to be reminded of how nice it is to run in the rain in a quiet city :)

I shouted at two people on bicycles who were on the road without a light or any reflectors. Some people have no sense.

Tuesday PM

4.1miles @ 9:23/mi
    This was a late one. I had to go back to the office after physio so it was after 10 when I got out so I stuck to the busier well lit roads. There was a heavy mist falling, a cool breeze and there were very few people about the city. It's been a while since I ran in the dark and rain. It was nice to be reminded of how nice it is to run in the rain in a quiet city :)

I shouted at two people on bicycles who were on the road without a light or any reflectors. Some people have no sense.

Says the nutjob out running in the middle of the night.

He told me his wife, who is also a physioterrorist, sprained her ankle on a plastic bottle at mile 13 last year and hobbled to the finish line. Be careful of the bottles peeps, they're out to get us

One of D's club mates got knocked over by a beer bottle (actually a runner dressed in a beer bottle outfit! :eek:) in the Berlin marathon last year... But finished bruised and scraped.

You're right, avoid the bottles!

Wednesday

5 miles @ 9:06: 1 wu, 3 @ PMP, 1 cd
    When I realised there was only a yorkie and a tube of mentos left in the vending machine at work I figured it was time to take myself out and get this done. Went to change, forgot my sports bra :( Had to get this done as I'd an appointment with the dentist for a filling later and didn't think I'd be on for a run after. Running in a regular bra really makes you appreciate the comfort of a sports bar.

Anywhoo, felt terrible doing the warm up and I was wondering how the hell I'd hit PMP but when I had to speed it up, my legs felt much better for it. Really enjoyed this run and it gave me some confidence back. Got my filling so I have the go ahead to eat as many jelly beans as I need on Monday :)

My friend is getting married tomorrow so that will keep me occupied for the day. It's in Galway though so I should be able to sneak away relatively early and I've the perfect excuse for not drinking. I also have my heartbeat cardiac screening in the morning before we go to the ceremony (it was the only time they had available). That's the last thing on my list of to do's before Monday :)

Ouch, running in a normal bra. OUCH!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good luck Monday. You'll love it :D

• Advertisement

Yep enjoy Monday S. I'll be near the bus stop (on the left) before mile 16 but I'll hardly see you. Knock it out of the park like we know you can.

Advertisement