Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New Adventure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Merry Christmas Needy! :)

You too DD, hope you're really enjoying the holidays and putting those feet up :):)
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Yep merry Christmas S!

You too Conor :) I'm eating my bodyweight in food in preparation for a New Year kick up the training ass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Neady83 wrote: »
    I'm eating my bodyweight in food in preparation for a New Year kick up the training ass :)

I'm totally with you on the eating-my-bodyweight thing. Ugh! I've got one more full week of gluttonous partying and entertaining before I can call it quits, then drastic measures need to be taken. If you need a diet buddy, let me know. Strength in numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hope you are having a great Christmas, Neady... Looking forward to hearing more about your 5 day adventure and oh yeah, a marathon in there somewhere :pac:

One of me New years resolutions will be to keep this updated every second day. I did nothing but eat for a few days over Christmas but got back on the wagon with an eye opener on Saturday.

Saturday 26th Dec

5km Santa Run, Miltown Malbay
    I hadn’t intended on doing this but my brother walked into the kitchen as I had finished breakfast and frogmarched me out to the car to go do this with him. I wasn’t in the least enthusiastic, I ate my body weight in food the day before and I’m pretty sure it’s still not digested (even now, 5 days later).

Needless to say this was a disaster, I won’t even bother posting the splits, the positivity in them would make your eyes water. I gave up the ghost after mile 2 and got in under 25 minutes and was just glad that I didn’t barf. Between warm ups and cool downs I covered about 6 miles.

On the upside I got to see Sean Hehir run. It was a pleasure to see such a humble guy rock up on his own, line up two rows back from the front (so as not to intimidate the local guys and gals I guess), and absolutely floor it. He finished in 15ish minutes and stayed at the finish line, congratulated and shook the hands of all those who came after him. He was gone by the time I got there, sure he’d have caught his death of cold waiting for me ;). There was no prize, no one was expecting him to be there but it was a pleasure to watch him run (his warm up and cool down anyway). I think I might have a crush.

Sunday 27th Dec

8miles, 1:12, 9:02/mile
    I did this one with my brother. It was really great to have the company. We saw the coursing organisers releasing the hares that they’d spent the last 6 weeks capturing. The coursing was cancelled due to the weather. It was cute to see their fluffy white tails head for the hills :)

Monday 28th Dec

22 miles on the mountain bike, 1:34, 552ft elevation gain
    This was done on the by roads and back roads of wesht Clare. Most of these roads aren’t suitable for much else than the MTB. Came home with a face covered in cows sh**e because of the dirty water splashing up on my face.

3miles running, 26:36, 8:51/mile
    I did this in the evening around the coast in Kilrush. I was all geared to go with my hi-vis and my head torch and my brother refused to let me go on those roads on my own because there’s all kinds a crazy people out there :D so he came with me to keep me company.

Tuesday 29th Dec

3.1miles, 27:47, 8:56/mile
    I dropped my car to my uncle to put four new tyres on it and jogged home. Felt great to be out in the AM.

Thursday 30th Dec

25.5 miles on the mountain bike, 1:57, 767ft elevation gain
    Back in Galway and unsure of how the roads would be after storm Frank wreaked havoc I figured I’d take the mountain bike out. Headed for Moycullen and swung a left and had completely forgotten about the mother f**ker of a hill heading towards Spiddal.

It was a slow drag up it but pretty much plain sailing all the way to Spiddal after that. The sun even reared it’s head while I was facing into the West and dare I say it, there was heat coming from it. A beautiful day to be out.

4 miles running with 5x100m strides, 37:21, 9:16/mi
    Nothing interesting to report on this one except I really need to loose these excess pounds, I can really feel them when I’m running.

My very very kind and generous brother got me an entry to Coast2Coast so I’ll be aiming for that in the short term. It was a race I really really enjoyed last year so looking forward to doing it all again this year and I’m aiming to be much more efficient on the bike this time around.

I'm totally with you on the eating-my-bodyweight thing. Ugh! I've got one more full week of gluttonous partying and entertaining before I can call it quits, then drastic measures need to be taken. If you need a diet buddy, let me know. Strength in numbers!

Yes please DD, a diet buddy is exactly what I need to keep me on the straight and narrow. If I don't get help soon I'm afraid that it will be death by chocolate for me.
    annapr wrote: »
    Hope you are having a great Christmas, Neady... Looking forward to hearing more about your 5 day adventure and oh yeah, a marathon in there somewhere :pac:

You too Anna, I really need to get back to some consistent running now, I've completely fallen off the wagon since DCM. I'm still trying to decide on a marathon. I was really hoping to do Connemara but it's clashing with the last race in the Clare race series and I love the series. The Clare Burren Marathon Challenge got some rave reviews from friends of mine last year so it could be a good low key one to target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Sounds like you're back in gear now S - nice work!

Yes please DD, a diet buddy is exactly what I need to keep me on the straight and narrow. If I don't get help soon I'm afraid that it will be death by chocolate for me.

You too Anna, I really need to get back to some consistent running now, I've completely fallen off the wagon since DCM. I'm still trying to decide on a marathon. I was really hoping to do Connemara but it's clashing with the last race in the Clare race series and I love the series. The Clare Burren Marathon Challenge got some rave reviews from friends of mine last year so it could be a good low key one to target.

Holy cow, when you get back on the wagon, you put the rest of us to shame!!!! :).

Connemara is definitely on my bucket list, such a beautiful route.

BTW - the Clare Burren Marathon Challenge - is that the one you mentioned before? Have you a Garmin/Strava link for it by any chance please?

It's obviously a very bad idea for me to be reading logs - I get all sorts of ideas in my head.

(please note that I am typing this with one hand while the other hand is holding a mug of vanilla ice cream smothered in chocolate sauce! :o)

Three years ago on January 1st shotgun and I did a diet buddy/diet challenge thing together that lasted up to DCM, and that was the year I hit some PBs I'm pretty proud of, including my marathon PB at DCM. There is no doubt in my mind that cleaning up my diet contributed to my successes that year, and I am hell bent on doing some damage in races this year as I am overdue. If you want to challenge each other in this regard, I am in. All we need to do is come up with reasonable "rules" (and your rules don't necessarily have to be my rules, I think we should tailor this to our own personal needs/desires)....and we can even put a "wager" on this if you want. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Maybe part of new challenge?

http://www.swimforamile.com/

Come to Cork: 06/06/2016 for 26.2 miles???

Happy New Year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

(please note that I am typing this with one hand while the other hand is holding a mug of vanilla ice cream smothered in chocolate sauce! :o)

Three years ago on January 1st shotgun and I did a diet buddy/diet challenge thing together that lasted up to DCM, and that was the year I hit some PBs I'm pretty proud of, including my marathon PB at DCM. There is no doubt in my mind that cleaning up my diet contributed to my successes that year, and I am hell bent on doing some damage in races this year as I am overdue. If you want to challenge each other in this regard, I am in. All we need to do is come up with reasonable "rules" (and your rules don't necessarily have to be my rules, I think we should tailor this to our own personal needs/desires)....and we can even put a "wager" on this if you want. :)

Funnily enough that was the year I did my last tri but had a series of PBs and podiums plus a win. I did end up losing the wager to Dory but proof in the absence of pudding that diet made a difference then!

I'm tentatively in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Good luck in the New Year, Neady! Looking forward to reading your log every two days :)

Looks like the 26M LSR in Connemara will have to wait for a bit (my friends won't make it over again this time, we're anxiously looking for another race) but someday!

Funnily enough that was the year I did my last tri but had a series of PBs and podiums plus a win. I did end up losing the wager to Dory but proof in the absence of pudding that diet made a difference then!

I'm tentatively in!

Excellent!! I honestly can't start this until Monday since I have out of town guests for the weekend, so I say we mull over the details, and then the flag drops at midnight this Sunday. :D

BTW - the Clare Burren Marathon Challenge - is that the one you mentioned before? Have you a Garmin/Strava link for it by any chance please?

It's obviously a very bad idea for me to be reading logs - I get all sorts of ideas in my head.

Hey Dilbert, yup, that's the one I was talking about it. The route and profile is here http://www.clareburrenmarathonchallenge.com/_pdf/RoutesProfile.pdf.

It's roughly 3 miles on road followed by 4 on trail, 4 on road, 4 on trail, 4 on road, 4 on trail with the last few on the road back into the village. My friend ran it in trail runners and though not having specifically trained for a marathon, he's a really good mountain runner (won the Maamturks challenge the month before) and did it in 4:52.

It looks like great fun though :):):) A weekend in rugged Clare, what more could you want.

I'm tentatively in!
    Excellent!! I honestly can't start this until Monday since I have out of town guests for the weekend, so I say we mull over the details, and then the flag drops at midnight this Sunday. :D

Deal, Monday it is :) I need this so badly. I went into the health food shop earlier to get some licorice, cause it's yum and it's full of iron, but there was a licorice chocolate log so I got that instead. I had good intentions, it was nommy though :)

Hey Dilbert, yup, that's the one I was talking about it. The route and profile is here http://www.clareburrenmarathonchallenge.com/_pdf/RoutesProfile.pdf.

It's roughly 3 miles on road followed by 4 on trail, 4 on road, 4 on trail, 4 on road, 4 on trail with the last few on the road back into the village. My friend ran it in trail runners and though not having specifically trained for a marathon, he's a really good mountain runner (won the Maamturks challenge the month before) and did it in 4:52.

It looks like great fun though :):):) A weekend in rugged Clare, what more could you want.

Sweet divinity - tough marathon. Especially that section between 17 & 19km....do you have to carry your own ropes for it? :o

That looks amazing. What a beautiful corner of the country, adding that to my bucket list :)

Very best wishes to you for a happy, healthy and adventurous 2016!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

annapr wrote: »
    That looks amazing. What a beautiful corner of the country, adding that to my bucket list :)

Very best wishes to you for a happy, healthy and adventurous 2016!

Looks good alright :D

+1 for the best wishes

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Happy new year to ya... may it be FAAAAAST :)

Happy, happy, happy New Year!!! May 2016 bring you successes and swimming lessons!!! :)

• Advertisement

Happy New Year boardsies :):) I’d like to thank each and every one of you guys and gals for your amazing support and advice over the past year. It’s been an absolute rollercoaster and one serious adventure :)

2015 in numbers looks like this:

Running: 198 hours (1,240 miles)
    Cycling (MTB & Roadie): 66 hours
    Wattbike: 39 hours
    Circuits: 77 hours
    Hiking: 82 hours
    Kayaking: 8 hours
    Stepper: 3 hours

Road Races: 29
    PBs: 5 (5km, 8km, 10mile, half marathon, marathon)
    Adventure races: Beast and Coast2Coast

It’s clear where I need to pick up the slack in 2016. I’d like to double if not treble my time on the bike and the Wattbike but I think I can remedy that as I didn’t do anything on the bike until way too late last year. I plan on getting out on either the roadie or the MTB at least once a week and can do the rest on the Wattbike in the mornings before work.

I need to spend much more time in the kayak but I’m not sure yet how I’ll go about that yet.

I don’t have a start date yet for my swimming lessons but hopefully that will kick off soon and hopefully I’ll get into the pool two or three times a week.

I wouldn’t mind rounding my running up to 1,500miles and I’d like to knock some time off my 5km, 10km and half marathon times.

Ok so last year you spent 473 hours training - that's 12 average work weeks - and you want to add at least another 100-200 hours of cycling + swimming ++++

Wowsers.

Ok so last year you spent 473 hours training - that's 12 average work weeks - and you want to add at least another 100-200 hours of cycling + swimming ++++

Wowsers.

Well when you put it that way hhmmmmmmm ;). I have a plan of sorts.

I did 29 races last year and spent lots of Saturdays in the car travelling to and from them so this year I'm planning on doing less races and the ones that I do near Galway, I'll cycle to or from them - it will put paid to some PBs but I'll live with that.

I was very good earlier in the year at making good use of my lunch time and do some running so I'm giving myself a kick up the bum to use my lunch breaks to get out running more so that might help with the running mileage.

I'll get the swimming in during the evenings, I think.

In keeping with my vow to update this every two days

Thursday Dec 31st

3.1miles easy, 10:05/mile
    I did this straight out of bed and must have picked the worst half hour of the day to get out. The sun came out for the first 3 minutes, I had a gentle breeze at my back for 4 minutes and then all hell broke loose, hail stones, rain and gael force winds, Teresa Mannion would have been shouting at me DO NOT DO UNNECESSARY RUNS.

Friday Jan 1st 2016 whoop whoop

4.5miles, 9:03/mi
    I was supposed to be doing the 5km Resolution Run around the city but my other half generously shared his cold with me and I was sneezing and sniffling like a mad woman so I figured it wouldn't be worth my while togging out. I did go and support all the hardy souls as they belted up shop street though. I then took my snotty nose up the river for 4 easy ones. It was a bit rainey and not too windy and boy did I enjoy it :) Happy New Year :):)

I did 29 races last year and spent lots of Saturdays in the car travelling to and from them so this year I'm planning on doing less races and the ones that I do near Galway, I'll cycle to or from them - it will put paid to some PBs but I'll live with that.

I was very good earlier in the year at making good use of my lunch time and do some running so I'm giving myself a kick up the bum to use my lunch breaks to get out running more so that might help with the running mileage.

I'll get the swimming in during the evenings, I think.

Now see that makes eminent sense. Make more from the training time you're already putting in, rather than totally devoting every waking hour to training.

Racing 29 times in a year was quite a heavy load anyway, wasn't it? Slightly more than every fortnight - might it even have been defeating the purpose?

Now see that makes eminent sense. Make more from the training time you're already putting in, rather than totally devoting every waking hour to training.

Racing 29 times in a year was quite a heavy load anyway, wasn't it? Slightly more than every fortnight - might it even have been defeating the purpose?

Yea, 29 was crazy though there were a few that were HMs that I turned into LSRs in preparation for Dublin and tacked on a few at the beginning or at the end. There were a few that just got me out on a Saturday and many that I didn't taper for so yea, a lot of wasted races (and money) that served no real racing purpose. I'm going to cut down this year and only do the ones I really enjoyed last year :) That said, I probably won't taper for half of what I'll try to race :D

Saturday Jan 2nd

8.1miles LSR, 9:18/mi
    Oh how I love long runs in the moon lit evenings :)

Sunday Jan 3rd

43mile cycle on the roadie, 3ish hours
    I'd arranged to meet the ARSEs somewhere along the Galway/Ennis road. Yr had lots of suns on offer for the day so I was excited to be getting out in drier weather. A nice spin South on my ownio on quiet roads though I was facing the wind so was working to make headway. Met the guys just South of Gort and we headed West for Kinvara but found out road submerged and we hadn't brought our snorkels (or pack rafts) so we hit for Galway and I was soon getting tired (the festive season and my cold caught up with me). We grabbed a coffee in Clarinbridge and the lads hit for home - I was more than happy to only have a short spin ahead of me).

Weekly Totals

Running: 26 miles (4 hours)
    Cycling: 6.5 hours (2xMTB, 1xRoadie)

Okay...so at midnight tonight we go clean with our diets. :D Have you thought of any specifics you want to eliminate and what you will allow yourself? Here are my rough thoughts for me that I will fine tune this evening:

The duration of this "challenge" for me will go until IronMan Louisville in October.....and during that time I will cut out all alcohol, chips, candy, cookies, cakes, chocolate, and all things that resemble the aforementioned items....however, I will allow myself 2 servings of ice cream (1 cup each) per week (but not to be carried over to the next week if I don't eat them) because of my low bone density (medicinal purposes, you know :D), I will allow myself 3 instances of breaking bad (in one setting) between now and IM Louisville (a 4th instance of me breaking bad means I lose), and all restrictions are off when I travel to Europe this April. :)

You still in?? If so, tailor your challenge to what you can live with and what will benefit you the most!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Okay...so at midnight tonight we go clean with our diets. :D The duration of this "challenge" for me will go until IronMan Louisville in October.....and during that time I will cut out all alcohol, chips, candy, cookies, cakes, chocolate, and all things that resemble the aforementioned items!
    Thats so wrong. It even sounds wrong. Where's the joy in living????? Seriously don't do it to yourself :eek:

• Advertisement

Thats so wrong. It even sounds wrong. Where's the joy in living????? Seriously don't do it to yourself :eek:

Pretty harsh alright but then again it all depends on how you value your treats/junk food. Have you taken on a diet regime like that before Dory? How did you find it, both in terms of benefits and difficulty in giving up the treats?

EDIT: does this clean living topic deserve its own thread rather than hijacking Neady's log?

Advertisement