Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New Adventure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Neady83 wrote: »
    Tuesday AM:

15 minutes on the Wattbike followed by circuit class.
    Circuits were 10 stations of 4x50 seconds including sprints, the dreaded mountain climbers, boxing, kick boxing, jumping stuff tied into a giant rubber band, tag sprinting with my partner in crime, side jumps and all that sorta stuff.

Tuesday PM:

My first attempt at trail running, thanks AKW for introducing me to Trailrunning Tuesdays :) AKW gave me great advice on how to navigate using the moon, how best to get around the muddy corners without slipping and letting my feet and ankles relax so as not to turn over on them - if you're looking for advice, there's no better man, he's a pro. I really enjoyed getting out on the trails and will be doing plenty more of it. This should help with hiking and preparation for the Beast :)

Haha you give me too much credit! :)

Simply pointing out like the moon (on a short run) can help with your bearings in unfamiliar woods. But when you can't see it, it can be easy to get disorientated so use other landmarks.

Those technical trails are great training for balance and adapting good form when running. Your speed is naturally in check there so all about getting used to adapting your stride and working with unpredictable surfaces.

For hilly stuff you should try the Kylebrack or Moycullen loops, but be sure to get on the MTB in Kilcoran too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Connemara is stunning, I love the view from the top of Diamond, the Bens, Kylemore and the islands off the West coast, not to mention the friendly people that you meet along the way, everyone has a smile and a nice word to say :) Next time your over, we'll have to pencil in a boardsies hike of the Glencoaghan Horseshoe or take on all of the 12 Bens in one day.

You've got yourself a date!! :)
    I was only up in Achill for the first time last summer. Its so pretty, the beach there is fab and we visited the famine village, I've no idea how people survived out there in the wind and cold in those stone houses - there's no shelter at all. I signed up for the Achill half last year but wasn't able to do it because of work commitments but it's on my calendar for this year. I've heard that it's one of the most scenic runs in Ireland. Were you born in Achill?

Achill has some gorgeous beaches!!! My absolute fave beach is Keem Bay - surrounded by cliffs makes for a magical setting. I was born in the United States (in DC, to be specific), but my grandfather was born and raised in Dooega on Achill.
    I've only done 3 halfs before, I did the Connemara half in 2013, with a good bit of training in 1:52 and two halfs last years with zero training in around the 2 hour mark ... so I'm not sure what to do this weekend. I don't want to push myself too much because I'm more focused on getting training done without injuring myself or burning out but I'd really like to beat my time for Connemara. There's a 1:50 pacer so I might stay with them. In the two halfs last year, I went out way too fast and ended up walking sections of mile 11 and 12 so I've learned my lesson. Any advice from a well seasoned pro? :)

My best advice to you is for you to remember you cannot (and I repeat, YOU CANNOT) bank time early in a race.....so as you've already learned, pace smart from the start even if you are feeling full of pep and think the pace is too easy. I'm betting you are faster than 1:50, but because of your training/racing priorities, it might be really smart to go with the 1:50 pacer, then if you are still feeling the love after 10 miles, empty the tank on the last 5k. Think of it as a 10 mile warmup for a 5k race. ;)

There's a 1:50 pacer so I might stay with them. In the two halfs last year, I went out way too fast and ended up walking sections of mile 11 and 12 so I've learned my lesson. Any advice from a well seasoned pro? :)

First up as Dory has said do not bank time.

In Kinvara you have to run the first half of the half within yourself. It is not a flat course and you will get paid back for any early pacing mistakes in the last 3 miles.

Use the pacers but do not rely on them (even though they are exceptional pacers ;) ) Have a clear time map written out on your hand for each split and as you hit each mile marker or km hit your lap button. Each lap should be in or around the 8:20 per mile mark. Do not rely on your GPS for splits, use the officially measured markers as your guide.

Relax, enjoy the scenery and use your arms to drive yourself up the hill at mile 10. Once over that you have 3 miles to reel your time in to a downhill finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I was born in the United States (in DC, to be specific), but my grandfather was born and raised in Dooega on Achill.

Dooesa, that's a great name for a place :)

My best advice to you is for you to remember you cannot (and I repeat, YOU CANNOT) bank time early in a race.....so as you've already learned, pace smart from the start even if you are feeling full of pep and think the pace is too easy. I'm betting you are faster than 1:50, but because of your training/racing priorities, it might be really smart to go with the 1:50 pacer, then if you are still feeling the love after 10 miles, empty the tank on the last 5k. Think of it as a 10 mile warmup for a 5k race. ;)

Thanks for the advice Dory Dory and AKW, it's the biggest mistake I made last year, burning out way too early, thinking I can use those precious seconds saved at the end = crash and burn. It's such a learning curve. I like the theory of the ten mile warm up with a 5km race at the end - that will work for me :)

AKW, I just looked at the profile of the course :O :O :O but yeaee for the downhill at the end :). That's a good call on having the times written on my hand - I suck at maths when I'm out running. The sums never add up after mile 5 or 6 :D. Must remember not to wash hands too vigorously in the ten times that I'll most likely use the loo before the race. No fear of the loo when going out training but put me on the start line and I'll need to go straight away.

Wednesday:

One run today - saving the legs a little for Saturday.

8x4mins (1 minute recovery)

Tried to stick with a consistent pace but didn't go too hard. Covered 6ish miles between warm up and cool down.

Thursday AM:

20 minutes on the Wattbike before circuits

Circuits: 10 circuits, 4x60 seconds on each

1) mountain climbers & squat box jumps
    2) dynamic squat with dumbbells & push over the head
    3) wall runs & long jumps
    4) ropes
    5) backward & forward lunge with shoulder press
    6) boxing - combo of 20 punches with 6 dynamic lunges
    7) forward lunge pushing two different weighted kettle-bell overhead
    8) medicine ball slams with jumps
    9) push-ups with resistance band (ouch)
    10) boxing with weights

My butt muscles hurt after all those squats and lunges. Some foam rolling after helped.

Thursday PM:

I took my shiny new MTB (team Hardtail) on it's maiden voyage.

By the time I got it all set up and the lights etc. put on it (with a little help from my housemate :)) it was dark outside and getting late so I figured I'd take it for a spin around the University grounds where there is little traffic, close to where I live. I know, yawn, but I'm a MTB virgin and I figured I should get used to the gears and handling etc. before taking it on anything tricky. I took it on some tracks up and down the river and down around the beautifully windy Salthill. Covered 10 miles of not very interesting ground but it was enough to get acquainted with it and get a feel for handling it. I'll take it on some proper trails at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Friday:

Plan: rest day

Reality: 5 miles at 9min/mile

There was noone else in the office all day and I was beginning to go a little mad with the lack of human contact so I threw on my runners and decided on a light jog up and down the river at lunch. My legs were stiff after Thursdays circuit session so I was beginning to get a little worried about the race on Saturday.

Saturday: Kinvara half marathon

With the orange weather warning in place, my lack of tapering (eye is firmly on the Beast) and stiff legs from circuits, I was a little apprehensive as to how the run would go but I was still hoping that I could stick with the 1:50 pacer.

As we all grouped, I saw the 1:50 pacer pop his sign up so I maneuvered my way over to him, staying 3 or 4 people behind him. Mistake number one: stick to the pacer like glue. As soon as we were off and up the (very narrow) first hill, I completely lost sight of the pacer and got stuck in the crowd, not able to get going at all. A lady right in front of me stopped to walk up the hill, I couldn't get around her because the crowd was so dense so I had to stop and walk aaaahhhhhhh. Inside I was beginning to panic a little that the wheels were falling off the wagon, but I remembered the advice of the boardsies - stick with your own pace. I figured I'd find my rhythm and catch Mr. Pacer eventually. My first mile was below my target pace at 8:45 but I figured I could slowly make that up.

On we went and I eventually found my stride. I'm not good at remembering miles individually but I do remember that it was just hill after hill after hill with a gale force wind blowing in our faces until mile 5. My splits were consistent though, 8:13, 8: 15, 8:16. Around mile 5, I could see a group of people up ahead and I figured that they must be the group with Mr. Pacer so I settled in and slowly reeled them in. By this point, the road had flattened out and the wind was blowing from our left. I was running for a mile or so before I really looked around me and noticed that I was bang smack in the middle of the Burren, surrounded by beautiful blue limestone, with the hills of the Burren up ahead, it was absolutely stunning.

By mile 6, I caught Mr. Pacer and tucked in neatly behind the back of the group and kept it steady. I could feel my hamstrings tightening a little and ever so slightly starting to scream but noting I couldn't handle.

By mile 8 we were going down hill for a bit and it was a little easier on the legs. I was feeling good by mile 10 so I figured I'd stick to the plan (thanks Dory Dory) and put the boot down a little, passing out the pacer and hoping I wouldn't see him again, but still had AKWs warning of the hill at mile 11 in the back of my head. Got to mile 11 and there it was, in all it's glory - it literally had bodies strewn all over it, walking, crawling and I saw one poor man throwing up in the ditch. I put my head down and used my arms to get me up it :)

It was plain sailing from there though my legs were really starting to hurt and I had the fear of god in me that the pacer might be catching me - my legs were too numb at that point to judge what pace I was doing. I glanced back and there was no sign of the pacer and his group so I settled into a comfy pace. With 3 kms to go, I spotted my C25K other half on the side of the road, waiting for me with water and a smile, I was never so glad to see him :) It made my day. He ran with me for a km (after finishing his first 10km race in 55 mins - go C25K :)) and left the last 2km to me. I didn't have a sprint finish in me but was delighted to cross the line in 1:48:34.

It was a great race, well organised and with fab scenery and I love the long sleeved technical top that we got. It was the first time that I've done a half marathon without stopping to walk and the first time I crossed the line really feeling that I had emptied the tank - such a great feeling. Thank you boardsies for the advice. There was some serious foam rolling going on Saturday evening.

Sunday

Family commitments meant no cycle or kayak with team ARSE but I got out for a recovery jog on a very beautiful and sunny evening in Galway. 7.13 miles @ 8:51/mile.

Weekly totals:

Running: 6:31 (42.64 miles)
    Wattbike: 1:40
    Cycling (MTB): 1:05
    Circuits: 2:00

Total: 10:40

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Great job in the HM :D

Monday AM

70 minutes on the Wattbike @ 127 watts

Monday PM

Brick session in the gym

30 minutes on the Wattbike @ 130 watts
    30 minutes on the treadmill, 7.5 mph @ 1% incline
    30 minutes on the Wattbike @ 127 watts

I won't lie, the second session on the bike was tough but I kept telling myself it could be worse, I could be outside in the lashing rain, cold and wind but instead I was snuggled inside the hot and sweaty gym, nice!!

Woo hoo!!!! Fantastic job on Saturday! :D 1:48:34 totally rocks, especially when you've not even trained/tapered for this event. And it sounds like you did everything right, including taking your time reeling Mr. Pacer back in over 5 to 6 miles. Congratulations! I think you are on target for a very good racing season. :)

Tuesday AM

20 minutes on the Wattbike @ 127 before Circuits. This was tough after Monday nights brick session.

Circuits - annoyingly only 45 minutes long. Our usual trainer was away so we had a substitute. Our usual guy is super efficient, has thought put into the circuits, has them laid out and is good to go at 7.30 on the button. Spends 4 minutes quickly showing us the stations & corrects us as we go, great workout.

Substitute guy slumps in at 7.30 with nothing set up (I was there at 7, he was there too, just couldn't be arsed setting up), spends 7/8 minutes sauntering in and out with gear, spends 7/8 minutes going painfully through each station like we're nimrods. 15 minutes gone before we get started. Super annoying but makes you appreciate how good our usual guy is.

No PM training because of work :(

Wednesday AM

In the big smhoke for work so a painful 4ish miles around the city at a very slow pace before work - I'm not so good when I'm out of my conform zone. Spent the PM on the bus home.

Thursday AM

23 minutes on the Wattbike @ 127 before Circuits

Circuits: usual guy was bask yeaeeeeee but also paaiiiinnnnnnnnn. Lots of squats and lunges with weights.

Not feeling the love for a run on Thursday evening so figured it was body telling me hit the hay early - this week will be an easy week.

Friday PM

7.10 miles around a beautifully sunny Galway @ 8:30/mi. My hamstrings are a wee bit tight but some foam rolling sorted them out :)

• Advertisement

Saturday: Castlebar Duathlon

I decided a couple of weeks ago, when I was up in Westport and saw a sign for it, that I'd sign up for the Castlebar Duathlon - I figured it might be a nice introduction to dual events and hopefully not a seriously competitive event.

The long course was 3.5km run, 7km hilly cycle, 8km mountain trail run, 15km flat cycle, 3.5km run.

I arrived in Castlebar bright and early and after driving around too many roundabouts, picked up my race pack, got my bearings & headed to the transition area to drop off my bike. Already racked were an array of shiny, well cared for TT and other high-tech bikes, with seriously aerodynamic looking helmets and trail runners attached, not to mention the seriously kitted out people hanging about the place. Racking my not so loved bog standard racer (it's been parked in the shed for a few years), I starting to panic a little bit. Called my C25K other half to tell him I was pulling out as I was way out of my depth here. He encouraged me to stick with it, stick with the plan to get around it & learn what I needed to learn so on I went.

Run 1: 3.5km: My plan was to take it easy, not to go at 5km pace but to settle into my own pace. The rest of the pack had their own ideas, they hit off like the clappers. It was a beautiful course, around a lake, over a pedestrian bridge and in around a park. Finished middle to back of the pack in 13:20.

Cycle 1: 7km hilly cycle: I met some girls in the bathroom before the race who had done the course before. They all opted for the short course this year as the Booster hill "is a monster, it takes no prisoners" and the hilly cycle "has the legs burned before you get to the booster anyway". Yikes. The hilly cycle was just that, hilly, just one hill after the other. I got passed by soooo many people, I figured at one point that I must be at the back now, I was loosing confidence fast. I wasn't changing gears in the right places, I'm a chicken so I was pulling the breaks going down hills in case I slammed into someone or hit a pothole & took flight. I was out of the saddle more than I was on it. A not so great 23:38.

8km Hill run: This was a gravel trail through a forest and up up to a mast where we turned around and hit back down again. There was a height gain of 1,188 ft altogether. I loved loved loved this section. My mountain climbing stood to me here, I belted up it at a slow trot but a trot all the same, catching people, having a quick chat, belting on, passing more people. I caught quite a few people on this section and was delighted to be also have a few chats. It was great to see the leaders belting down the hill having made it to the top, they were clocking up savage speed. The girls on the way down were great, hi-fives from all of them - all three of them. When I reached the mast at the top & turned for home, I realised I was the fourth girl. If I could just hold on ......... a respectable 54:15.

Cycle 2: 15km flat: [B/] At this stage I was just hoping that I could keep my place in the pack. I've never cycled in a race before so I'm not sure what race pace is - I felt at times like I was cycling like I was out for a leisurely Sunday morning cycle instead of a race, though I was pushing it a bit, I think. One guy whizzed by me on this section so I aimed to at least try to keep him in sight for the rest of the section - it gave me something to focus on. I felt a bit more comfortable with less people around me though. A slow enough 37:59.

Run 2: 3.5km (hilly): I got off the bike in transition and headed off and my god did my legs feel heavy. I was looking down at them asking why they couldn't turn any faster, but they just wouldn't. At this stage, I just wanted to get the run over with and sit down, everything was starting to ache. I felt like I was crawling speed wise but when I look back at my splits - this run was stronger than a lot of those that finished ahead of me @ 19:09

Finishing time: 2:28:21 50/73 overall and 4th girl home on the long course :) Was super super chuffed with myself. It wasn't a race that attracted a big crowd but it was a great introduction to the dual event and I've learned a lot. My cycling really let me down - I'll be coming back next year a lot more wiser.

Lesson No. 1: Get my bike confidence back. Up to '07, I used to do a 4 or 5 hour cycle every Sunday morning and cycle 4 times a week with a group from home & I did 250 miles over two days, for charity. I hung up my bike when I moved to Galway but I'm getting back on the saddle. I've just organised a weekly group cycle, starting this Friday, no more excuses :).

Lesson No. 2: Do not be intimidated by nice bikes and gear that other people have :)

Lesson No. 3: Get clips for my pedals - my runners kept slipping off the pedals.

Lesson No. 4: Diamond hill repeats are good training - I love running up hills :)

Sunday AM

Run: 4.67 miles @ 8:27/mi.

Hadn't planned on a run but I was awake super early so while everyone was still in bed, I snuck out for a run on the quiet roads in West Clare.

Sunday PM

This wasn't on the plan but my brother was going for a run on a new grass/sand 1km track that a farmer has developed on his land close to where we live so I figured it'd be a good chance to try out my new trail runners and the track. Happy to confirm that the trail runners are super comfy and had great grip on the mud and sandy gravely downhills.

At one point my adventurous brother said we should go off piste (on a section of track that has yet to be opened) so we jumped a gate and took to the fields - turned a corner and half way up a hill we spot a bull, looking inquisitively at us "Uh oh", I turned to looked at my brother and he's wearing RED!!!!!! Boom, down the hill and and back to where we came from as fast as we could, I kept thinking I could hear him pounding after us but we got away. No more going off piste for us.

3.26 miles @ 8:34/mi

Weekly Totals

Running: 3:16
    Wattbike: 2:53
    Circuits: 2:00
    Duathlon: 2:28

Total: 10:37

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

well done, thats a tough race , have done it a few times,

lesson 2 is very important..

mens winner had a bog standard road bike and ordinary helmet, but took 20 mins out of 2nd and third on the hill run..

Well done you!! Experiences like this will stand to you! :)

It's been a pretty dismal week. The sniffles set in on Monday so I took it easy with a 3ish mile jog/walk/crawl around Renville with c25k other half.

Woke up on Paddys Day coughing, spluttering and with a temperature - I knew I had a chest infection so there was no point in postponing the inevitable until the following day. WestDoc it was. Got fierce value for money quizzing the doc on why I'm getting sickness after sickness but she ruled out everything including anemia, diet, lack of sleep etc., she reckons I'm just having a bad year. I hope this is the last dose or I'll have to trade C25k in for a medical doctor.

So much for my long cycle on Paddys Day, worked off the temperature holed up in bed for the day - why do temperatures bring on such horrible nightmares?. Wednesday and Thursday were also days of rest.

Friday

40km cycle with a couple of friends, just a bit of spluttering. Bring on the weekend :)

I hope you're feeling much better!!!

why do temperatures bring on such horrible nightmares?.

Wait til you see the Sleepmonsters in August :D :eek:

Saturday

Saturday was a planned Team ARSE training day so I'd no choice but to suck it up and take my infected lungs to Newmarket for our 10mile road race followed by a 6 hourish MTB ride.

Met the guys before the race and we decided that we'd do the run as a team and stick together but we didn't really have a game plan, just go out and run (mistake number 1). The claxon sounded and off we went with Bryan and John leading the pack and Frank and I dodging and weaving around the crowd (and a man and his dog, WTF?) to get out and on a roll.

We met the first mile marker and I checked my watch, 8:05, I was a bit worried that it might be too fast for me to sustain but I kept going, we got into a nice rythm and passed the second mile marker, 7:55, uh ho I thought but kept the head down & said nothing. We lost one of our team to a dodgy calf at this point. There there were three.

There were two guys behind us discussing their plans for later, rugby and pints. There were some mutterings that there would be a pint of cider at each mile marker after mile 5 :) that didn't transpire. One of these guys joined us for the rest of the run & the other team ARSE members were very quick to recruit him for the MTB cycle in case our injured ARSE was't able to cycle later :D He dutifully agreed but I'm sure he thought we were messing, sure why would you go MTB'ing after a 10 mile race? when there's RUGBY on and pints to be had.

Mile 5 had a long slow painful pull up it which knocked the wind put of my sails (8:39) and legs but what goes up must come down and mile 6 was 7:58.

and then the wheels came off my wagon. My chest was in bits - you could hear me drawing deep spluttery breaths from a mile away. Mile spits from here: 8:27, 8:37, 8:50, 8:06. I asked the lads to belt on without me and I'd meet them at the end but in true team ARSE style, they pulled it back, encouraged me as only team mates can and hauled my arse across the finish line in 1:22:55. Injured ARSE even came out on his bike to do the last mile with us :)

We were passed by about 8 or 10 people on the final mile - this really annoyed me, not because I was being passed but because it showed me that I didn't pace myself right and I know better than that at this stage, I was kicking myself up the arse. Massive lesson learned - grow a pair of ballz and tell the guys when you know the pace is too fast for you. My legs were in agony and I was coughing up a lung full of gunk sitting on the curb at the finish line.

It was muted that we leave the cycle for today because of the state of me but the weather was too good to throw away the day and it would be tricky to get this kind of training in again so off we went. Back to the cars for a change of clothes.

One of the team ARSE members had CP co-ordinates noted and the goal was to get to them all using the most efficient route possible. Off we went, on-road, off-road, through forest trails etc - real Beasty type terrain, so I was told.

Team ARSE guys must have been burned from hearing me going on about how pained my tushy was. Six and a bit hours on my brand spanking new MTB saddle was a baptism of fire, to say the least. I couldn't feel my legs for the pain in my backside so at least I wasn't complaining about sore legs :) Did I mention that I had a very very sore backside? (lesson learned - more MTBing). 70 and a bit kilometers later we were back where we started with all CPs collected. Not my best day out by far, there were ups and downs but the guys were great, they kept me going all day even though I was either mute or complaining about my tushy.

Sunday

Craughwell 10 mile road race (I'll keep this short, AKW has a great race report :)). I know, what the hell was I thinking. I was thinking, way back when, that it would be a good idea to register for this race and do it on tired legs to test my endurance.

After a good nights sleep and some good grub, my C25K other half and I hit for the start line (his first 10mile, another PB :)). I was very very willing to pace him but he was having none of it :(.

I had no idea what my game plan was at the start line - I figured I'd forget about my watch, go at a comfortable pace and see where it took me, this was recovery and not a race. Took a sneaky look at my watch at mile 4, 8:15/mi pace. Interesting I thought, if I can keep this up and push it a bit on the last mile, I might do a PB (marginally).

It hurt, it hurt buckets but Saturdays fail was playing heavy in the back of my mind so I kept going. There were two girls running together ahead of me that were doing my pace so I stuck to them, passed and paced them for a bit, and vice versa - we didn't speak but there was a nod each time we took our turn. Another girl joined us at the 5ish mile mark and she ran along side me. We chatted a bit and on this went, us pacing, them pacing, it worked very well. They really pelted on for the last mile, the girl running with me was encouraging me and urging me to keep up but I didn't have the push that they did so I told her to belt on. Mile 10 was 8:00 for a finish of 1:22:22 - not exactly record breaking but a PB (just about) and I was very sore but a happy camper. Met the three girls at the end and we all thanked each other - that's what these runs are about :):)

Weekly Totals

Running: 3:21 (22.63 miles)
    MTBing: 6:00ish (72ish km)
    Cycling: 1:40

Total: 11ish hours

Fair play to you that's a fairly savage weekend of training!!

x2 sharp 10 mile races and a stiff MTB bit in the middle. Savage!

AKW wrote: »
    Fair play to you that's a fairly savage weekend of training!!

x2 sharp 10 mile races and a stiff MTB bit in the middle. Savage!

+1

I can see why you were recruited to team ARSE ...... you're obviously mental :D

+1

Ha ha it's the fear of the Beast :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1

emm its just Beast style training.
    #TriharderAR better pull the finger out soon! Captain will be calling a team training day in April. Be ready!

Good grief!! Yet more impressive races/weekend/training!!! :)

Good grief!! Yet more impressive races/weekend/training!!! :)

:):) Thanks DD, feeling much better, everything got spluttered out at the weekend :) The sun shone for the whole weekend so it made it all more fun :)

#TriharderAR better pull the finger out soon! Captain will be calling a team training day in April. Be ready!

We should try and organise a days training together before the Beast maybe :)

We're waiting on the Captain, ready when you are Sir, yes Sir!! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

this AR stuff sounds interesting. a training day. maybe training every day for this triathlon lark is overrated?

this season i will be mainly training.....on june 23rd.

nice to meet you on @craughwell onSunday Neady. impressed not only at 2* 10 miles races in 2 days but with the MTB session as well. and you still looked energetic on Sunday!!

mossym wrote: »
    this AR stuff sounds interesting. a training day. maybe training every day for this triathlon lark is overrated?

this season i will be mainly training.....on june 23rd.

nice to meet you on @craughwell onSunday Neady. impressed not only at 2* 10 miles races in 2 days but with the MTB session as well. and you still looked energetic on Sunday!!

Great meeting you too, nice to put some faces to the names :) Cheers but trust me, my walk into work yesterday morning was far from energetic!!

It's all about the training days, you're doing it all wrong, this dark side business is great craic :) Can't do training days during lent though, need a savage amount of chocolate and sugar to sustain you on those days ;)

Monday

Planned lunch time sunshine run went out the window because of a staff meeting :(. Post work recovery run in the rain tried but failed. Just not feeling the love at all so after 3ish miles I hit for home and the foam roller.

Tuesday AM

20 minutes ont he Wattbike before circuits @ 120. My tushy is still very from Sturday, is it possible to have bruised tushy bones? I'm sure mine are bruised on the inside.
    Circuits: 4x1 minute on 10 stations. Sit-ups, renegade rows, mountain climbers, sprints, lunge walks and all sorts of fun stuff like that.

Tuesday PM

Finally convinced C25K that interval training is good so we hit for my club in Athenry to introduce him to the crew. I haven't been there in months though I've been doing a few of the sessions myself. It was great to see familiar faces again and have the motivation of the group.

Session was 7x4mins @ 80%, 1 min recovery. Planned on taking this easy enough as my legs are still on the tender side.

Nice 1km easy to warm-up, 1st and 2nd interval, great, 0.52 miles on the button, 3rd interval, pain in tummy and that pukey feeling, uh oh, slow it down, still got that pukey feeling, walk :(:( 5th interval, feeling better, 0.52 miles on the button, 6th and 7th, pukey feeling = very very slow jog.

Not a great session. Legs sore from the weekend and couldn't sleep the night before so I'm putting it down to that. I had been doing some of the sessions myself at lunchtime on Wednesdays, maybe Tuesdays are too close to the heavy training I'm doing at the weekends. Still and all, glad to get out and cover 5.5ish miles.

Wednesday AM

Alarm set for 6.15, figured I'd get a spin on the bike before work and before the clocks go back and the mornings are dark again. Gear on and out the door. Tushy still sore but grand.

Had my fingerless cycling gloves on but it was colder than I thought so after 20 minutes I reached for my other gloves. No gloves in my bag but I figured I'd pelt on, I'd warm up :(:(. I didn't and it was freezing, really really cold. After 50 minutes, I could hardly change the gears because my fingers were creaking with the cold so I made the executive decision to turn back or my fingers just might fall off. Bit disappointed but got 30km on the saddle anyway and a valuable lesson learned - gloves gloves gloves :)

Mystery solved, pukey feeling at interval session on Tuesday night is most likely down to Kerosene contamination of the water in my housing state. Galway and water just don't go together. I don't usually drink the water because it has a funky taste but I ran out of good ol Clare water on Tuesday so I drank from the tap boooooooooooo.

Thursday AM

25 minutes on the Wattbike @ 132 before circuits

Circuits: 8 stations @ 4x1minute

Tough session this morning, mostly working on the core and legs. Squats, mountain climbers, russian twists, lunges, planks and all that sorta stuff. Wobbly legs going down the stair after class always a good sign :) Lovely kerosene free shower in the gym after.

• Advertisement

Ew. Kerosene. Ew :mad: that can't be good for you

Advertisement