Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New Adventure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Excellent report, N ady! Sums it up perfectly. Brilliant performance, you're some woman.
    Now that the pain has begun to subside, I have better perspective on what an epic day out it was. That abiding memory will be of the fantastic company of yourself, Martin and Rachel. It's great to make new friends.

Yourself and Rachel really showed your class on the last leg. Martin and I had no hope of keeping with ye. Ye looked fresh as daisies when we got in. We had empty tanks.

Looking forward to the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ehhhh...is it just me reading too quickly or did you do the whole thing on coke and jelly beans?

Explains a lot actually! :P

Mental or incredible; I'm not sure which. Probably both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Neady83 wrote: »
    Saturday July 2nd: Western Way 50mile trail run

Oh hello lovely squishy mountains. My legs were sore but the mountains always put a spring in my step.

We took to calling out markers up ahead that we’d run to - house, a horse, an electricity pole, a gate, a fence ….. it was a game and it was working. Of course there was more singing and lots of giggles and it really helped.
    we sang a song and laughed

It took a while but 14 and a bit hours later we ran down the slope to the car park and through the finishing gantry. We hugged it out and congratulated each other on a great team effort.

Oh My Dear God. Neady you're a legend!! you ran 50 miles across mountains in the rain with a backpack a sick stomach and a sore achilles and your report is full of songs and giggles and games and references to 'lovely squishy mountains' :D:D Love it!!!

Well done on the silverware, the high placings and sticking with it. Well done to snailsong too as he doesn't have his own log :p. You guys are all kinds of crazy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Well done Neady, great result and performance! Being out that way myself on Sat I know the weather wasn't great, not the type of weather I'd like to be up the mountains in, I probably wouldn't be up the mountains even if it was nice out though!

I wonder if the tiredness at the start is an accumulation of all the recent stuff catching up on you?? You have been going great now for a long while and doing some really long racing and training. I've no idea if this is the case, just something I thought about reading your report.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Firedance wrote: »
    Oh My Dear God. Neady you're a legend!! you ran 50 miles across mountains in the rain with a backpack a sick stomach and a sore achilles and your report is full of songs and giggles and games and references to 'lovely squishy mountains' :D:D Love it!!!

Néady has one of the best attitudes I've come across. A 50 mile race under those circumstances may seem like madness but you gotta remember that she is training for a 5 day non stop race :cool: You just have to learn how to suffer.

Well done Néady for pulling through that bad patch so early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Routinely epic events and epic performances from you....love the report and well done on the silverware!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Fantastic! You are made of tough stuff! Saw some pics on Paul's Strava. Despite everything you endured, you are still smiling! Hope the recovery is going well and looking forward to seeing the next adventure unfold!

And just to say, you radiate this immense positivity which is infectious, and we need more people like you over on AR so keep popping by!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Loved the report as always, Neady, really well done. Love the image of the four of you belting out songs along the way like mad things. Glad you got through your early wobble and recovered... Hope the Achilles is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

What a super report as always, your energy is contagious - you're the only person I know who can say "can't race 13 miles, so I'll go on a 50-mile journey instead". Very glad to have met you en route!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done again Neady.
    I honestly don't know how you do it, its just one epic adventure after another. Where do you get the energy from? Congrats on the silverware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

snailsong wrote: »
    Excellent report, N ady! Sums it up perfectly. Brilliant performance, you're some woman.
    Now that the pain has begun to subside, I have better perspective on what an epic day out it was. That abiding memory will be of the fantastic company of yourself, Martin and Rachel. It's great to make new friends.

Yourself and Rachel really showed your class on the last leg. Martin and I had no hope of keeping with ye. Ye looked fresh as daisies when we got in. We had empty tanks.

Looking forward to the next time.

Paul, you are so kind, positive and supportive, thank you a million times over. Thank you so much for the company and for keeping me going when I was about to throw in the towel. It was a great day wasn't it - I'll never forget that lake with the surrounding rock, magical. I'm really looking forward to spending a day on the road with you again :) Hope you're back to normal, well done :)
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Ehhhh...is it just me reading too quickly or did you do the whole thing on coke and jelly beans?

Explains a lot actually! :P

Mental or incredible; I'm not sure which. Probably both.

Oh I forgot 1 snickers, 1 bag of salty crisps at Leenane, half a bounty bar & some of my coconutty balls :) The coke played a blinder though :)

Well done on the silverware, the high placings and sticking with it. Well done to snailsong too as he doesn't have his own log :p. You guys are all kinds of crazy :pac:

Thank you so much FD, I appreciate it. There were some tough times FD but when you've great company with you, they haul you through it and you only remember the good times :) Snailsong is a legend and a gentleman on so many levels.
    joey100 wrote: »
    Well done Neady, great result and performance! Being out that way myself on Sat I know the weather wasn't great, not the type of weather I'd like to be up the mountains in, I probably wouldn't be up the mountains even if it was nice out though!

I wonder if the tiredness at the start is an accumulation of all the recent stuff catching up on you?? You have been going great now for a long while and doing some really long racing and training. I've no idea if this is the case, just something I thought about reading your report.

Cheers Joey. Yea, I've wondered myself if I've piled too many long events on top of one another this past month or two. I've really been taking it easy during the week to compensate so much so that my weekly hours of training have dropped so I should be recovering well. It could also be all of the traveling I've been doing lately with work. I fully intend to take it easy for the next two weeks anyway :)
    Néady has one of the best attitudes I've come across. A 50 mile race under those circumstances may seem like madness but you gotta remember that she is training for a 5 day non stop race :cool: You just have to learn how to suffer.

Well done Néady for pulling through that bad patch so early on.

Thanks Mike, you're always so positive :) I've no doubt that there will be many of those bad patches during ITERA so I may as well get used to them :) Head down and wait for it to pass and if it doesn't make sure one of my teamies drags me out of it :)

diego_b wrote: »
    Routinely epic events and epic performances from you....love the report and well done on the silverware!

Thanks Diego, I'm really loving these longer not your run of the mill events. There's so much uncertainty surrounding them that they're fun and the scenery is always breathtaking. You couldn't but enjoy this wonderful country that we live in.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Fantastic! You are made of tough stuff! Saw some pics on Paul's Strava. Despite everything you endured, you are still smiling! Hope the recovery is going well and looking forward to seeing the next adventure unfold!

And just to say, you radiate this immense positivity which is infectious, and we need more people like you over on AR so keep popping by!

Thanks so much Ososlo, that is really kind of you. I very much appreciate it. It ain't no 24 hour race around a track though, the thought frightens me no end, well done you on your epic performance :)
    annapr wrote: »
    Loved the report as always, Neady, really well done. Love the image of the four of you belting out songs along the way like mad things. Glad you got through your early wobble and recovered... Hope the Achilles is ok?

You're a star Anna, thank you. My achilles is on the mend thankfully - I've no pain in boots but can't put my runners on just yet. I went to the physio yesterday and there's no damage done, it's just annoyed from going up and down all them hills :D A week of rest and doing the right stretches should have it as good as new.
    nop98 wrote: »
    What a super report as always, your energy is contagious - you're the only person I know who can say "can't race 13 miles, so I'll go on a 50-mile journey instead". Very glad to have met you en route!

Cheers Nop, honestly, give me the handily paced 50 miles over your 13.1 miles of paced hell any day. I've given up on the dream of going sub 1:48 for the half, it's too much hard work :)
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done again Neady.
    I honestly don't know how you do it, its just one epic adventure after another. Where do you get the energy from? Congrats on the silverware.

Thanks so much Jake :) I have to haul my ass outta bed most days but on adventure days, I don't have that problem, the fresh air (and coke) give me all the energy I need :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Well done on the silverware. No doubt there's plenty more to come!! Hope your training is going well. 4 weeks, 2 days, 16 hours and 12 minutes till kick off :D
    #squeakybumtime

Well done on the silverware. No doubt there's plenty more to come!! Hope your training is going well. 4 weeks, 2 days, 16 hours and 12 minutes till kick off :D
    #squeakybumtime

Actually its now only 4 weeks, 2 days, 15 hours and 56 minutes. Not that anyone's counting... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Haha :D Oh we're counting alright!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Just back from an active holiday and low and behold this is the first report I got to read. Puts my "active" 2 weeks in the shade. Well done you Neady as that was a gutsy performance. I know those hills and it can be quite unforgiving when moving fast.

All quiet around here. Hope all is going to plan on the run-in.

Haha :D Oh we're counting alright!!!!!

Two weeks aaaggggghhhhhhhhhhhh
    denis b wrote: »
    Just back from an active holiday and low and behold this is the first report I got to read. Puts my "active" 2 weeks in the shade. Well done you Neady as that was a gutsy performance. I know those hills and it can be quite unforgiving when moving fast.

Awh thanks so much Denis, with any bit of luck, ITERA will see us on those hills in two weeks time :)
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    All quiet around here. Hope all is going to plan on the run-in.

Two weeks :eek: :eek: :eek:

It took three weeks of not wearing any shoes (flip flops only) and three physio sessions to nurse my Achilles back to good health. I put on 7 pounds (my appetite didn't subside) and lost a lot of sharpness but I slept loads :)

We got out for our last session as a team this weekend.

We took the kayaks out around Kilkee and practiced our towing and capsizing and getting back into the kayaks in choppy water. The swimming lessons really paid off, I wasn't quite as panicked when I fell in the water and I was able to swim to the kayak if it got away from me.

Sunday, we did the mid-Clare way on the MTB bikes. I spent the day telling the lads to take it easy and not get hurt. A cat did it's best to take Frank out and a wasp flew down my top and stung me in a sensitive area - I nearly went over a ditch with the fright and the pain. You just never know what is going to happen.

So now, we're planning logistics and gear. I started grocery shopping last night for ITERA.

What we know:
    - 5 days non-stop
    - 36 teams
    - 8 stages (3 of these will be kayak stages - 120km of kayaking in total)
    - 7 transitions
    - just over 550km in distance
    - 14,000m elevation gain
    - We finish in Killarney

Each stage will be 15 hours on average so we need to carry food for at least 15 hours of activity. Trying to think of non-perishable food that will give you energy and won't turn your tummy after 3 days of racing isn't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I highly recommend Gilly Bars Neady and they should keep fine outside the fridge for a few days at least. I've had them away on holidays and they were fine after a few days in the car....but would try keep them cool if you could to help keep their shape.

http://www.alustforlife.com/physical-health/nutrition-physical-health/recipes/david-gillicks-gillybars-good-food-from-the-track-to-the-table

The very best of luck this week Neady!!!! What team number are you guys so we can stalk ye support from our armchairs :p

• Advertisement

diego_b wrote: »
    I highly recommend Gilly Bars Neady and they should keep fine outside the fridge for a few days at least. I've had them away on holidays and they were fine after a few days in the car....but would try keep them cool if you could to help keep their shape.

Thanks Diego, I've put a few in some of my 12 hour food bags to add variety :)
    The very best of luck this week Neady!!!! What team number are you guys so we can stalk ye support from our armchairs :p

Thanks so much FD :)

The weekend was a blur of sourcing batteries, last minute bits and bobs and ticking things off lists. The car is packed. There's no going back now. It's getting real :)

You can watch our dot move very slowly here: http://www.itera.ie/live/

Team A.R.S.E. are number 29

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

going to be busy for the week neady, so best of luck. i look forward to reading about it afterwards, probably not going to be tracking this year, got a bit of a distraction to take care of.

most of all enjoy it, once in a lifetime event.

mossym wrote: »
    going to be busy for the week neady, so best of luck. i look forward to reading about it afterwards, probably not going to be tracking this year, got a bit of a distraction to take care of.

most of all enjoy it, once in a lifetime event.

Thanks Mossy, I'm really looking forward to soaking it all in and enjoying every minute :)

Best of luck in Copenhagen :) That sub 11 is within reach, smash it :) I look forward to a race report when I return from my adventures :)

Neady, saw the update on the ITERA site, I hope you're okay.

Neady, saw the update on the ITERA site, I hope you're okay.

Likewise. This is not the "new adventure" we were all hoping to hear about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Hope everything is ok Neady and your alright. Logging training in here seems to be bad luck. Hope your not too hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Neady was discharged and says she's ok.

Thanks for letting us know P.

Thanks Paul 😊 and everyone for yer concern, I really appreciate it and I'm sorry to have alarmed so many people.

I only got to Kerry and to my phone a little while ago. We lost most of the possessions we had in the kayak to the sea. I scrambled up a cliff to get help but fell 10 or 11 meters onto a rock below & knocked myself out for a bit. Kind farmer came to get jacqo & I from the cliff & took us to his house. I was taken to hospital because of the head injury. My face is a bit messed up, 5 or 6 stitches and an appointment to make sure my eye socket is OK. I look like I went 10 rounds with Katie Taylor 😊 we're all safe thank god. The water is unforgiving. We were very lucky.

In time I'm sure that I'll be gutted to have been taken out so early in the race but for now I'm glad that all my team are alive and that I didn't do more damage when I fell 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

In time I'm sure that I'll be gutted to have been taken out so early in the race but for now I'm glad that all my team are alive and that I didn't do more damage when I fell 😊

+1 to that. Glad you're all ok and very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Advertisement