Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New Adventure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Sorry to hear of the incident Neady, but glad everyone OK.
    You'll bounce back no doubt, but for now take it easy and get over the whole thing.
    Get well soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Great to hear that you and your team are ok Neady, take it easy and recover well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Glad to hear all is okay Neady, sounds pretty harrowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Bloody hell, Neady, that sounds very scary. Hope you are recovering ok and glad to hear you are all ok. Take it easy, girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Scary reading about what happened, Neady. Glad to hear you're okay. Hoping you recover well and you're back training soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Aw jeez Needy!!! Thank god you are okay! Not great advertising to get me over there next year to do one of these adventure thingies with you. :eek: But so, so, so thankful you are in one piece. Recover well. Sending positive thoughts your way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    +1 to that. Glad you're all ok and very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thanks BG, I think I may stick to solid ground from here on in. Running will be my friend :)
    martyboy48 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of the incident Neady, but glad everyone OK.
    You'll bounce back no doubt, but for now take it easy and get over the whole thing.
    Get well soon :)

Cheers Martyboy, I'm enjoying marathon sessions of movie watching with intermittent napping :) I'm also doing a dam good job of getting through the five days of food I had prepared for the race.
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Great to hear that you and your team are ok Neady, take it easy and recover well.

Thanks Jake, I'm turning a very fetching shade of green and yellow so definitely on the mend.
    diego_b wrote: »
    Glad to hear all is okay Neady, sounds pretty harrowing!

It was a bit frightening, them waves take no prisoners.
    annapr wrote: »
    Bloody hell, Neady, that sounds very scary. Hope you are recovering ok and glad to hear you are all ok. Take it easy, girl.

Thanks Anna, I'll be back on the road again soon I hope :)
    zico10 wrote: »
    Scary reading about what happened, Neady. Glad to hear you're okay. Hoping you recover well and you're back training soon.

Thanks Zico, I'll wait until I'm back on my feet before reassessing what's next. An Autumn marathon would have been nice off the back of my training but I think that's off the cards, Spring maybe :)
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Aw jeez Needy!!! Thank god you are okay! Not great advertising to get me over there next year to do one of these adventure thingies with you. :eek: But so, so, so thankful you are in one piece. Recover well. Sending positive thoughts your way!

Thanks Dory, don't let my bad experience scare you :) The weather played a major part as did our inexperience in kayaking in a 2.5m swell. It definitely turned into an adventure, but one of a different kind :) One thing is for sure, if you get into bother here in Ireland, the kindness that people show is above and beyond the call of duty, from the farmer, the coast guard, the ambulance guys, the hospital staff especially the porters and a few people from around here :) we were treated with unbelievable kindness.

I always had respect for the sea but I know now just how powerful it can be, it's relentless. Hats off to all the people here who go swimming in the sea, I don't think I could ever do it again. I might just have had my fill of the water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good thing you had invested in these swimming lessons, Neady. I was just looking at the race thread... Sounds like some really challenging conditions and locations throughout. Glad to hear you are ok and recovering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Neady83 wrote: »
    I always had respect for the sea but I know now just how powerful it can be, it's relentless. Hats off to all the people here who go swimming in the sea, I don't think I could ever do it again. I might just have had my fill of the water :)

I hope that's not the case although perfectly understandable. Really glad to hear you're on the mend and minding yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Holy F**k S. Am terribly sorry to read this but the relief you are ok. Absolutely frightening. I hope you are ok, I'm shocked so can't imagine how you all are. Frightening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Wow Neady. Glad to hear that you are recovering well. Not quite the adventure I expected. Things can turn so nasty so quickly and no doubt your own experience helped to make the best of things in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Firedance wrote: »
    I hope that's not the case although perfectly understandable.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Only catching up here now, and so so sorry to hear about what happened you. Thankfully you are ok and hopefully you will make a 100% recovery super quick! Look after yourself!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

hey neady, saw the news of the accident but first chance to reply, really sorry to hear it happened and so early in the race, but on the positive side at least you walked away from it . take your time and mend properly, loads of other great races out there to fill the days when the body is healed

annapr wrote: »
    Good thing you had invested in these swimming lessons, Neady. I was just looking at the race thread... Sounds like some really challenging conditions and locations throughout. Glad to hear you are ok and recovering!

Thank you Anna, the swimming lessons really did help. I didn't panic in the water and when I got separated from the kayak I was able to get myself to it, aided by a gigantic wave :D
    I hope that's not the case although perfectly understandable. Really glad to hear you're on the mend and minding yourself.

I'll get back in the pool ..... I may wait until next summer to test whether I can get in a kayak :)
    aquinn wrote: »
    Holy F**k S. Am terribly sorry to read this but the relief you are ok. Absolutely frightening. I hope you are ok, I'm shocked so can't imagine how you all are. Frightening.

Thank you A, it was pretty frightening. Mind you, it didn't stop me trying to convince Jacqo in the ambulance on the way to the hospital that we could make the second paddle or get to Kinvara and get on the bikes :D
    denis b wrote: »
    Wow Neady. Glad to hear that you are recovering well. Not quite the adventure I expected. Things can turn so nasty so quickly and no doubt your own experience helped to make the best of things in the circumstances.

Thank you Denis, yea, I was surprised at how quickly it all unfolded. We made the call to go for shore as we were being thrown around the place and we couldn't see a safety boat but before we knew it, we were in the water and heading for the cliffs. You'd think the hiking experience would have gotten me up the cliff but it was just too wet and I was weighted down with gear and a PFD so I couldn't get a grip at all.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Only catching up here now, and so so sorry to hear about what happened you. Thankfully you are ok and hopefully you will make a 100% recovery super quick! Look after yourself!

Thank you O, I'm definitely on the road to recovery :) Hopefully I'll be back on the footpaths soon because I'm making too much inroads into the five days of adventure racing food I didn't get to eat.
    mossym wrote: »
    hey neady, saw the news of the accident but first chance to reply, really sorry to hear it happened and so early in the race, but on the positive side at least you walked away from it . take your time and mend properly, loads of other great races out there to fill the days when the body is healed

Thanks Mossy, such a bummer not to get past day 1 but I am glad that I'll be back on the road sooner than I may have been. The PFD I was wearing probably took some of the impact :) I will be back that's for sure :)

Thank you for all the very lovely comments, I'm very lucky to have such a great bunch of friends on here :)

I went to see the face consultant again today and even though I fractured my cheek bone, I won't need surgery as it's healing nicely :) My stitches are out, the swelling is gone down, my nose and lip are not so numb anymore and my face is returning to normality yeaeeeeee. The healing power of the body is amazing.

I've to avoid contact sports for a month or two but other than that, I can go back to running and cycling whenever I feel up to it. I'm back to work next Thursday so I fully intend to get back on the wagon then. I already have some events in the pipeline but this winter will mainly be about dialing it back and doing some running for fun.

It was very bitter sweet watching the dots last weekend and seeing the teams finish the race on Monday. We'd covered most of that route at some point over the last two years so I've no doubt that we would have been able to complete the course should we not have come a cropper early on in the race.

We've sat down as a team, chatted about it and acknowledged our weaknesses and talked about how we would have handled the situation differently. We've certainly learned from it and one thing is for sure, we're much stronger as a team after it. Everyone looked out for each other and nobody was being left in the water regardless of the conditions. I'm very fortunate to have a great team along side me :)

Hopefully some normality and regularity will resume in this log once I'm back on my feet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good news about your injuries :)

I can imagine how difficult it was for you last week and what you would have given to be in the thick of the action. Hopefully the Beast will be back next year and you'll get the opportunity to direct all that frustration into a great race.

Thanks for all the support on Facebook and elsewhere. It really is appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hope recovery is going well :)

Right, it’s time to get this log back on the road, it’s not going to be inspiring or be very focused but it will keep me motivated over the Winter. I was putting this on the back foot as I don’t think my logging will be of any use to anyone but a very kind and gentle push from a fellow boardsie has made me see that it will help me stay focused so that’s a good enough reason to kick things off again.

I’m very much on the mend, I went back to work two weeks ago and all is well. I’m still getting the odd headache but nothing to worry about. I’m back in with doc next week to make sure my cheek is healing properly but though it’s tender to touch it looks ok from an aesthetic point of view so I’m hoping to get the all clear.

My friend, who’s an adventurer racer extraionaire, kindly came to visit and wisely suggested that I concentrate mainly on strength and conditioning for the Winter. She gave me a routine to do so I’ve been doing that most days.

I’ve nothing of note planned for the winter, bar some hiking, and I need to think about what I want to accomplish next year. The Beast of Ballyhoura adventure race will be reverting to a 24 hour event next year so we may give that a go as a team but I don’t think we’re going to go abroad to do something longer.

I’ve entered the Connemara marathon to give me something to focus on early in the year. I really enjoyed the Western Way trail run this year so I’d like to get back to doing those longer trail events and Coast 2 Coast will be a must. I’ve been dot watching a few longer events such as the Kerry Way Ultra but that may be a year or two away. A friend (she shall remain nameless) entered my name for a 5 day London Edinburgh London Audax event in August so I may well be spending my summer glued to my saddle ….. and it’s a good excuse to upgrade my roadie.

So training has been looking a bit like this ….

Wednesday August 31st

3.2mile run shuffle @ 11:09/mi
    Oh dear god, I’ve lost ALL my fitness, I cannot run AT ALL. I huffed and puffed my way through this and had to stop to walk the uphill bits. Seriously did the knock to my head knock all memory of how to run from my body? My fitness must up in Louisberg on that slab of rock that I got acquainted with.

Thursday September 1st

30mins Wattbike (15km)
    Easy peasy spinning. Shuffling yesterday, especially on the down hill bits was a bit of a weird sensation on my face so I figured I’d go for something more stationary this time. I don’t seem to be as unfit on the bike as I am running.

Friday September 2nd

Rest

Saturday September 3rd

AM 60mins Strength & Conditioning
    Every stretch that you can think of, we did it – working from the upper body to the lower body. There was also some ab work, lunges, bridges, planks and all that jazz. We were paying particular attention to our breathing too.

PM 3.1miles @ 9:46/mi (30mins)
    This felt a little better than Wednesday and I didn’t need to stop for a walk but still – I’m not in a good place here.

Sunday September 4th

30mins Strength & Conditioning
    Mostly stretching arms, legs and back with some work with a dyna band and the foam roller. My left calf is very tender and it feels like there’s a knot in there. I vaguely remember getting a bad cramp when I was trying to scramble onto a rock but it was bruised pretty badly so I think I smashed it off the rock. This needs a nice bit of kneading.

3miles @ 12:48
    This was supposed to be a walk to loosen out the legs but I trotted some of it. A somewhat enjoyable run around Cong and the trails out that way.

Monday September 5th

40mins Wattbike (20km)
    Warm up, 2 big climbs and cool down – pooped after the climbs.

30mins Strength & Conditioning
    Arms, legs and work on the hamstrings with the band.

Tuesday September 6th

AM Circuits: 8 stations @ 4x80 secs
    I don’t remember the set exactly but it was mostly leg work – lunges and squats galore.

PM 4.42miles @ 10:35/mi (47mins)
    This was attempt to ward off the impending stiffness. Oh so slow and I had to walk the big climb at the end ☹

Wednesday September 7th

30mins Wattbike (14km)
    Oh hello stiffness – you know the kind of stiffness you have that when you go to the bathroom you have to use the sink to leverage yourself onto the loo – that kind of stiffness. Easy spinning to loosen out the legs.

30mins S&C
    Mostly gentle stretches with a good bit of work on my calf.

Thursday September 8th

Circuits: 7 stations @ 4x90 secs
    Mostly core work which was just as well because I couldn’t squat with to save my life.

Friday September 9th

30mins Wattbike (14.5km)
    Easy spinning but still working up a sweat.

30mins S&C
    Mostly upper body stretches paying particular attention to my breathing.

Saturday September 10th

4.6miles @ 9:45/mi (45mins)
    I did this down home in Clare. It was a hilly loop that I used last year as part of my marathon training. This time last year I did this loop 4 times and today I could barely manage one loop booooooooooooo

Sunday September 11th

30mins S&C
    All over stretching with some yoga poses added in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Glad to see you're getting back into things and making plans!

• Advertisement

Biiigg +1 to this :) LOL on the stiffness comment, oh yeah, we've all been there :D

No harm to take it nice n slow on the runs for the time being, all the best people are doing it :cool:. Some super things in the pipeline there for next year, which, will be here before we know it...

Oh so hardly doing anything...except doubles!

And <ahem> any thoughts of CCAR?

Thank you Diego, it took a while to get up and running but I'm glad to have something to look forward to :)
    Biiigg +1 to this :) LOL on the stiffness comment, oh yeah, we've all been there :D

No harm to take it nice n slow on the runs for the time being, all the best people are doing it :cool:. Some super things in the pipeline there for next year, which, will be here before we know it...

eeekkkkk thank you AM, hopefully next year will go marginally better than this year. I'm very much looking forward to it.
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Oh so hardly doing anything...except doubles!

And <ahem> any thoughts of CCAR?

Cheers C, pish, a few easy doubles, nothing to write home about but I'm glad to have the appetite for training back.

I did see the schedule for CCAR. I did the one in Boyle this year and it was so much fun so I'm definitely interested in doing a few more. They're VERY far away though but I see how much you like driving so you won't mind ;). Did I see you're keeping an eye out for a MTB to use? Any one in particular that you're interested in?

Cheers C, pish, a few easy doubles, nothing to write home about but I'm glad to have the appetite for training back.

I did see the schedule for CCAR. I did the one in Boyle this year and it was so much fun so I'm definitely interested in doing a few more. They're VERY far away though but I see how much you like driving so you won't mind ;). Did I see you're keeping an eye out for a MTB to use? Any one in particular that you're interested in?

You're doing them though! Great to see you back.

Yeah I'm thinking of the November one - it's in Portglenone, which looks to be north of Lough Neagh. Probably a good 2.5 hours from Dublin but the roads are generally good up North. And I've never been in that part so it'd be good to see it. Yeah I've no mountain bike but I have a promise of a loan of one. I'm still trying to sell the whole "the correct number of bikes is n+1" principle.... Just need the wet gear and a teammate now! I know Master D would love it but I'd prefer to give it a shot myself (in the company of someone competent) before I'd bring him. And I'd have to get him a bike + wet gear too. :eek:

I assume it'd be a Friday night job, maybe camp overnight and race the following day. If you are going up, ya know, if you wanted to jump on the train to Dublin, you'd be welcome to a lift the rest of the way.

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Yeah I'm thinking of the November one - it's in Portglenone, which looks to be north of Lough Neagh. Probably a good 2.5 hours from Dublin but the roads are generally good up North. And I've never been in that part so it'd be good to see it. Yeah I've no mountain bike but I have a promise of a loan of one. I'm still trying to sell the whole "the correct number of bikes is n+1" principle.... Just need the wet gear and a teammate now! I know Master D would love it but I'd prefer to give it a shot myself (in the company of someone competent) before I'd bring him. And I'd have to get him a bike + wet gear too. :eek:

I assume it'd be a Friday night job, maybe camp overnight and race the following day. If you are going up, ya know, if you wanted to jump on the train to Dublin, you'd be welcome to a lift the rest of the way.

I've Run the Line in the diary for that weekend but if it doesn't happen I might head up. Thanks for the kind offer of a lift, it makes it a little less challenging logistically.

Monday September 12th

AM 35mins Wattbike (16.5km)
    I did one big climb, upping the gear every 4 minutes. The top gears were tough but fierce enjoyable.

PM 1.9miles @ 12:45/mi (25mins) & 3.25miles @ 9:24/mi (30mins)
    I did the first run with Kieran and it was a nice warmer upper for the loop I did on my own. No walking needed today but it was still a struggle.

15minutes Strength and Conditioning
    Mostly foam rolling eeeekkkkk

Tuesday September 13th

AM Circuits: 6 stations @ 4x90 secs each
    I don’t remember the set but it was mostly upper body work. I was lifting slightly heavier than last week but still nowhere near where I was.

PM 30mins Strength & Conditioning
    Mostly upper body work to loosen everything from this morning.

Wednesday September 14th

AM 30mins Wattbike (14.5km)
    Easy spinning, legs tender – still some amount of sweat coming out of my pores.

30mins S&C
    Mostly upper body stretches

PM Circuits: 6 stations @ 4x90 secs

Dynamic warm up … 8 sets of burpees & power lunges (60secs)
    1. Slam ball (10kg): 5 slams & 12 wall runs with ball
    2. Side plank & bicycle sit-up
    3. Chin ups & push-up and drop on the bosu ball
    4. Bench hip raise with 20kg on hip & power lunges
    5. Squat & press with 2x7.5kg
    6. Ropes & mountain climbers with sliders

Thursday September 15th

AM Circuits: 7 stations @ 4x70 secs

1. Chin-ups & bosu ball side to side squats
    2. Backward lunge pulses with 10kg
    3. Push ups off 10kg slam ball & slam ball V sit-ups
    4. Squat and press above the head (2x7.5kg)
    5. Sprints & lunges
    6. 5 slam balls (10kg) & Side squats with ball
    7. Ropes & kettle bell raises
    I ran out of steam for the last one, too pooped. WILL get back to where I was.

Friday September 16th

AM 30mins Wattbike (15km)
    This included two short sharp climbs all the way to L10 M6.

25mins S&C
    Arms & legs with a few yoga poses.

PM Sports massage, 1.5 hours of niceness
    I’ve been feeling a little out of whack so with all the bruising gone I figured it was time to get the knots sorted. I’ve been to a few physios over the years but I always return to this girl that does reflexology, sports injury therapy and teaches yoga – she’s very calming and gives the deepest massage that I’ve ever endured.

I told her my story and she decided that she shouldn’t go too deep this time. She worked on my legs, no issue but my back started to flinch when she touched it. It came out in goose bumps and tightened when she started to work on it. She went as deep as she could without causing too much damage but there’s still work to do.

Saturday September 17th

AM Circuits: 6 stations @ 4x90secs
    Dynamic warm up …. Burpees yuk
    1. Ropes – 8 smacks & 3 sec break. Rinse & repeat.
    2. Pole leg raises
    3. 15kg sled push with 5x10kg ball slams at the end of every push
    4. Backward lunge & push over the head with 2x7.5kg
    5. Side jumps & clean and press (2x75kg)
    6. Single leg squats on bosu ball & push up and drops on ball

Sunday September 18th
    AM 30mins S&C
    Very light work but I can see the difference the stretching is making. I’m able to go deeper with my stretches so it’s nice to see the progress. Mind you I was like the tin man when I started this so going from a very low base line.

PM 4.5mile walk @ 15:00/mi
    Had two blisters on my feet and tight hamstrings after this.

On a good note, I’ve shed 7 of the 14 pounds that I put on while being a couch potato. Ok, I gained some of this during the three week lay off after the Western Way ultra but the bulk ;) of the damage came from copious amounts of giant chocolate bars eaten while I was off. I couldn’t chew for a week so I just popped kilos of chocolate in my mouth and made myself feel better. I’ve cut back on portions and been eating all home cooked meals.

......... one more week and I'm up to date

I've Run the Line in the diary for that weekend but if it doesn't happen I might head up. Thanks for the kind offer of a lift, it makes it a little less challenging logistically.

Gahhh. Same weekend? Had notions of doing it too - couple of clubmates doing it - but can't do it all. Typical.

26th November? I've signed up for that too.... :pac: you're welcome to a lift to Lamb Doyles if you hop on a train to Heuston!

Monday September 19th
    AM 40mins Wattbike (20.5km)
    This was a gradual climb, 2mins on each gear all the way up to the top of a very sweaty mountain.

25mins S&C
    Mostly upper body and yoga poses.

PM 4.7miles @ 9:20/mi (44mins)
    Hallelujah it all kind of came together tonight and I really enjoyed this. I got tough towards the end but I got the buzz that I’ve missed so much from running.

Tuesday September 20th

AM 15mins Wattbike
    Easy spinning before circuits but my legs felt heavy and stiff – not a good start to the day.

Circuits 8 stations @ 8x70secs

1. Squat & side step with band around thigh
    2. Lying hip raises
    3. Skipping
    4. Foam rolling – a new one but low impact & fun
    5. Burpees & side jumps
    6. Some sort of side jumps on the high step
    7. Planks – 4 varieties
    8. Wall squats with weights
    I had no pep in my step for this class this morning. Whenever I went down for a burpee I couldn’t pop back up like I usually can.

PM 90mins Hatha Yoga
    So this will be a staple in my routine for the foreseeable future and I quite enjoyed it. I did a bit of research to find a class that would suit what I need right now and this seemed like the best one.

I’ve tried yoga before but my flexibility is non-existent and the poses transition so quickly from one to the other that I can never follow them and get frustrated. This was the perfect class for me. We did some breathing techniques before doing the sun salutation a few times and then holding each of the poses for a minute. We did some other crazy stretches holding each one for a minute so it was very easy to follow. My heels are about 6 inches from the floor for downward dog but same day, some day, I may get them to the floor :)

Wednesday September 21st
    AM 45mins Wattbike (23km)
    WU, increased a gear every 5 mins for 30 mins. Held a pretty good cadence for the set and added on some sprints at the end, cd.

25mins S&C
    Little bit of a mixed bag but nothing too strenuous.

PM Rest
    Had booked a place in a circuit class but my body was tired so I knocked it on the head. I’m starting to listen to my body a bit more.

Thursday September 22nd

AM 20mins Wattbike
    Warm up before circuits, few hills – legs still feeling heavy especially my thighs.

Circuits: 8stations @ 3x100secs each
    1. Dumbbell cleans with band resistance from behind (2x10kg)
    2. Ropes: 5smacks, reverse crawk, front crawl, 15 smacks …..
    3. Kettle bell swings & squats (12kg)
    4. Walking lunge with kettle bells overhead (2x8kg)
    5. Sliders, 20 mountain climbers & slider crawls
    6. 3 side hops & a slam ball (10kg)
    7. Walking lunge & spider crawl (with 10kg weight vest)

Friday September 23rd

AM 40mins Wattbike (21km)
    Steady climb, kept the cadence steady as I upped the gears – legs still heavy.

15mins S&C
    Mostly leg work especially the glutes.

Saturday September 24th

AM Clew Bay 10km (54mins) + 1.2mile wu
    I caught up with Snailsong and Maryboy before the off and we lamented Firedances absence :( Me especially as I was counting on some company to get me around the 10km. It was great to catch up with the guys and watch them power through the field as they headed out on the half. I did a 1 mile wu before kicking off the 10km. I went out sans watch and raced shuffled by feel. It was bloody hard, I used to enjoy running but it’s such a slog now. I really struggled with mile 2 but I picked it up after mile 3. I realise I need to get over this hump and get more miles done so that I can begin to enjoy running again but for now it’s frustrating as hell because my mind wants to go faster but my legs don’t have it in them.

There was some spread of goodies on offer afterwards. Snailsong is like a local celebrity, he knows everyone and was very kind to introduce me to all the local runners. It’s always interesting to meet and share stories with new people with a passion for running :)

While I was in Louisburgh I popped in to see the farmer that hauled me up from the cliff back in August. He proudly showed me his prized animals, his pedigree charlais cattle :D, we had a cuppa, some cake and a chat – he is such a kind man and didn’t hesitate to let us destroy his house that day with our dripping wet gear. I’ll be making a visit to him a regular occurrence when I’m up that way.

Sunday September 25th

PM 4.15miles @ 9:34/mi (40mins)
    After a day of looking after a sick other half, fuses blowing, alarms going off, neighbours checking to see what in the bjasus was going on …. I was on the fence about going out for this one. I think the Clew Bay 10km has given me the motivation I need to keep chipping away at it though. If I want to start marathon training in November I need a good base so I need to incorporate more running and the more I do, the easier it will get. Simples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

... I’ve entered the Connemara marathon ...

What an excellent idea!!

Advertisement