Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New Adventure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

nop98 wrote: »
    What an excellent idea!!

I'm glad you think so ..... do you think I'll have the company of any boardsies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

I have just sent of some mail to my Dutch buddies proposing just that... (strictly speaking they aren't boardsies tho).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Neady83 wrote: »
    I'm glad you think so ..... do you think I'll have the company of any boardsies?

It's looking like a plan is hatching....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

... I ve entered the Connemara marathon ...

What an excellent idea!!

I concur! If I get through Dublin in one piece I am thinking of trying the full in Connemara too. The half is already on the cards and sure it's the same price...unless I get lucky in the ballot for London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Jaysus Neady. Bosu ball, wattbike, power lunges. This is all Dutch to me. The only bit I can understand is that you regularly do the stations of the cross. At least I think that's what it said, looking for divine assistance I guess. Love to see you getting back out running, it's the purest form, you know.

Great to meet up again at the weekend and a pity you couldn't stay. I hope himself is recovering. Thanks for the porridge bread, it's rocket fuel and tasty too. Never been described as a celebrity before:D, I suppose suffice to say we all know each other. Small community.

Best of luck with Connemara. I'd love to do it some time but I think it clashes with Rotterdam and I have serious business to attend to there next Year ;D.

• Advertisement

Monday September 26th

AM 45mins Wattbike (23km)
    One 30 min gradual climb (m1-7) and 7 mins of sprints – 40on, 20 off. I really worked hard at this one to keep the cadence up. I knew I worked this one hard because in the toilet waiting to throw up after it but thankfully it washed over me.

20mins S&C
    Legs, glutes and arms. Lots of glute work to fire them up and take the pressure off my lower back. Lower back is giving me a bit of bother when I’m sitting at my desk.

PM 6.1miles @ 9:26/mi (58mins)
    I ran along the prom with the wind against me – felt good until mile 5, the last one was a slog. My goal is to run 6 miles relatively comfortably irrespective of time.

Tuesday September 27th

AM 15mins Wattbike (8km)
    Kept it steady for a good warm up

Circuits: 7 stations @ 3x90secs
    1. Band pull ups & boxing (2x2kg)
    2. Sit ups with ball & 6kg kettle bell
    3. Squats & dynamic lunges
    4. High knee runs & crawls
    5. Squats with weights bar on shoulder (15kg)
    6. Backward lunges off step with 10kg kettle bell
    7. 20 x mountains climbers with sliders & 5 pikes

PM 90 mins of Hatha Yoga
    Started with breathing exercises and followed up with the sun salutation and then held each pose in the salutation for a minute – we did this twice. We also did warrior 1, 2 and 3, holding each for a minute. I can’t recall the rest but it was a great class.

Wednesday September 28th
    AM 25mins S&C
    Sun salutation holding each pose for a minute, glute exercises and much foam rolling.

45mins Wattbike (23+km)
    10min WU
    5mins each @ m2,3,4,5 & 6 (holding 90rpm, 85rpm, 80rpm, 60rpm, 50rpm)
    5min steady (90rpm)
    5x30sec 105rpm sprint, 30 off

PM 4.5miles @ 9:57/mi (45mins)
    I had a window of an hour to get this done before a late meeting at work so even though it was raining I had to suck it up and get out for 6 miles. I hit for the pitches in Dangan thinking that there might be some kind of shelter but nada, the rain was belting down from all sides. I called it a day at 4 and a bit miles when my runners were so wet that were dragging me down.

Thursday September 29th 2016
    AM 2miles @ 10:00/mi (20mins)
    A gentle warm up before circuits & an attempt to make up the two miles I missed out on last night.

Circuits: 6 stations @ 2x100secs
    1. Weight push – 20kg
    2. Crab crawls
    3. Planks & push-up and drops
    4. Clean and split squat (8kg)
    5. Wall squat with 2x3kg dumb bells
    6. Ropes: 5smacks & backward & forward crawl

PM 15mins S&C
    Mostly foam rolling – wasn’t able to run, much too stiff from this weeks shenanigans.

Friday September 30th
    Legs felt heavy and stiff from all the lunges this week.
    10min wu
    20 x 30secs sprint (100+rpms) off 30sec recovery
    15min cd with couple of short sharp hills

15mins stretching
    Glutes and legs mostly
    My stretches are getting deeper – it’s good to be able to see some progress. I can almost touch my toes, they’re so so close now ☺

Hospital appointment today with the face person – last x-ray and I got the all clear. My cheek is still fractured but it’s healing the way it should be and there’s no sagging so unless I have any problems, I don’t need to go back. The consultant recommended a silicone gel for my scar and told me that he can do a skin graft in the future if I’m not happy with having a Y beside my eye ☺

Saturday October 1st
    AM 6.61miles @ 9:31/mi (63mins)
    A warm up before circuits. This run was meh. I’m finding that it takes 3 miles to get into a rhythm and actually start to enjoy a run …. I’m still oh so very slow though.

Circuits: 6 stations @ 3x100secs
    1. Single leg deadlift (2x10kg kettle bells)
    2. Up down (kneeling to standing) with 10kg
    3. Ropes & crab crawls
    4. walking lunges with 2x10kg kettlebells & wall runs
    5. Weighted single leg step up (7.5kg)
    6. Ropes & ball slams (10kg)

Sunday October 2nd
    Rest
    I was on bridesmaid duty so was on an early bus to Dublin and a late bus home. Hamstrings not happy with so much sitting down. Mission accomplished, many wedding dresses were tried on, one was chosen ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ouch ouch ouch - to the w dress shopping :D

Gosh I'm tired reading all that work! Feel very lazy compared to you, must get my own act together. Good to hear healing is going as it should.

I have just sent of some mail to my Dutch buddies proposing just that... (strictly speaking they aren't boardsies tho).

They can be honorary boardsies because they get mention many times here :)
    Firedance wrote: »
    It's looking like a plan is hatching....:)

I can smell it ...... I can see us crossing the finish line together :)
    diego_b wrote: »
    I concur! If I get through Dublin in one piece I am thinking of trying the full in Connemara too. The half is already on the cards and sure it's the same price...unless I get lucky in the ballot for London.

Wohooooooo Boardsies come West for a marathon in beautiful Connemara :)
    snailsong wrote: »
    Jaysus Neady. Bosu ball, wattbike, power lunges. This is all Dutch to me. The only bit I can understand is that you regularly do the stations of the cross. At least I think that's what it said, looking for divine assistance I guess. Love to see you getting back out running, it's the purest form, you know.

Great to meet up again at the weekend and a pity you couldn't stay. I hope himself is recovering. Thanks for the porridge bread, it's rocket fuel and tasty too. Never been described as a celebrity before:D, I suppose suffice to say we all know each other. Small community.

Best of luck with Connemara. I'd love to do it some time but I think it clashes with Rotterdam and I have serious business to attend to there next Year ;D.

Thanks P :) I'm glad to be getting back out on the footpaths in the fresh air :) running really is a tonic. If you change your mind about Connemara, there'll be porridge bread galore at the start :)

Monday October 3rd
    15min wu
    20mins of 30 sec sprint (100+rpms) off 30sec recovery
    10min cd
    Legs were heavy, didn’t feel the love for this today but glad to get the 20 sprints done

25mins S & C
    calf stretches, heel drops and mucho pain inflicted by my foam roller.

PM 6.7miles @ 8:56/mi (60mins + cd)
    5mins each x 6.0mph, 6.2, 6.4, 6.6, 6.8, 7.0, 7.2, 7.4, 7.2, 7.0, 6.8, 6.6
    It was howling wind and bucketing down outside so I wimped out and took this to the dreadmill. Session was a pyramid of sorts. I was clinging on for dear life to the 8min/mile pace. Can’t believe I used to be able to hold 8:23/mi for the half.

Tuesday October 4th
    AM 20mins Wattbike (10km)
    This morning was a bit of a false start. My alarm went off, I got up, brushed my teeth, got dressed, put my bag in the car and started the engine but the clock in my car said 4:50am – stoopid alarm was all messed so back to bed for another hour and a bit.

Kept it steady but easy – recovery from a late run last night and a warm up for circuits.

Circuits: 7 stations at 3x100secs
    1. Straight leg drops with resistance band over head
    2. Dynamic lunges off the bosu ball
    3. 10 wall runs & 10 burpees
    4. Core: leg climbs & V-ups
    5. Jumping Squat on the step
    6. Squat & press (2x8kg kettle bells)
    7. Lateral jumps with 7kg slam ball

PM 90 mins Yoga
    Breathing exercises, fast sun salutations and sun salutation holding each pose for 1 minute. Followed by many balance exercises. Lower back is a bit twingy so Aisling said we’ll do some back related stuff next week.

Wednesday October 5th
    AM 45mins Wattbike (22km)
    10mins wu
    5mins each at L1 – L6
    5mins cd

25mins S & C
    Hip raises, work on the quads and hamstrings. Made much use of the resistance band.

PM 3.26miles @ 9:20/mi (30mins)
    A hilly 3 miles after work to break in my new kicks :). Some things never change, I went with the Asics Kayano 23. I went shopping with an open mind to trying a different stability shoe this time as I wasn’t 100% happy with the kayano 22. I thought the toe box was too wide and they were heavier then the 21. Tried on the new model and it’s much more comfortable so I bit the bullet and got them. I’ve (touch wood) never been injured since I started wearing kayanos so there’s no reason to change.

Thursday October 6th
    AM 2.25miles @ 9:48/mi (22mins)
    Warm up on the dreadmill before circuits but the blinking treadmill cut out on me twice. It just stopped, mid run and almost threw me off the back of it.

60 mins circuits
    The usual trainer had to do the desk at the gym because the receptionist didn’t turn up so one of the trainers that partakes in the class took it at short notice. It wasn’t our usual circuit class but we made do with a step and a few kettle bells each. Mostly core work – not my favourite but it was better then a cancelled class.

PM 5.51miles @ 9:09/mi (51mins)
    Love these autumn evenings and my new shoes are breathing new life into my legs :)

Friday October 7th
    AM 20mins Wattbike
    10km steady – felt good

20mins S & C
    Didn’t have time for more as I had an early meeting at work.

Saturday October 8th
    11 hours of steady hiking
    Frank and I were itching to get out on the mountains so we’ve planned to cover the ITERA mountain routes before the end of the year. Today was the section that covered the Bens and the Turks – the plan was to follow the original ITERA route. We put the feelers out for peeps to join us and ended up with Lonan from team IKAT and a few of our old hiking buddies joined us.

I forgot how much I hate when the alarm goes off at 4.30am on a Saturday morning. Still, up and at em. We left a car at the bottom of the Turks, one at Mauméan and took one to the start, near Kylemore Abbey. There was no warming up – straight up Benbaun or Maolán at almost 500m, then onto Benbrack, down into the valley and onto Muckanaght. This was a steep ascent up a greasy grassy track and my mind started to wander to what would happen if I slipped on the grass, it was a looooong way to the bottom. I just slowed the pace and was extra careful though still trying to hang onto the coat tails of the lads. It was really foggy up top so Frank and Lonan took their time to orientate themselves and take correct bearings – they didn’t put a foot wrong.

Next up was Benbaun or as we like to call it Benba*tard then down into another valley and up onto Maunina and Bencollagh, Bencorr and finally Bencorbeg. From here we were to take the spur to the North and drop down onto the Inagh valley and then the Western Way. The adventure race didn’t end up taking this route as the farmer who owed the land asked for a fee from the race organisers which they refused to pay. The race ended coming off the West of Bencorr.

The decent off Bencorrbeg was one of the worst I’ve ever done. The contours are tightly packed so I was expecting steep but this took the biscuit. It was greasy and slippy and there were slabs of rock that you just couldn’t get any purchase on so there was nothing for it but to slide down on our backsides. I was at my wits end by the time we got to the bottom. We had a 10km walk to the car we’d left at Maumeán and I called it a day here. After the decent down that horrid mountain I didn’t fancy coming off corcóg in the dark and my confidence was shot.

All in all, a great day out though and so nice to get back to the mountains with a great bunch of lads though I was clinging to their coat tails all day. My confidence has taken a knock but some more time on the mountains will bring that back I'm sure. 11 hours of good solid hiking with no hanging about so can't complain.

Sunday October 9th
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh so stiff – my shoulders are very very stiff – probably from being tensed all day yesterday and from hanging onto my poles for dear life :D

So I opted for a nice long hot bath instead of a 3 mile recovery run.

Looooooooooooooong over due update

Monday October 10th
    5min wu
    5mins each @ L7 – L1
    5min cd
    Upper body still stiff from Saturday and legs a big fatigued

25mins S & C
    Mostly upper body stretches with a couple of sun salutations

PM 6.5miles @ 9:30/mi (62mins)
    Slow and steady

Tuesday October 11th
    AM Circuits: 60mins
    I can’t remember the session exactly but it was quite aerobic with ladders and jumps and all sorts.

PM 90mins Yoga
    Breathing exercises, sun salutations, holding each pose for a minute and very twisty moves that were designed to loosen out the lower back

Wednesday October 12th
    6.81miles @ 9:15/mi (63 mins)
    Hills, one long sharp hill done three times

Thursday October 13th
    AM 2miles on the dreadmill before circuits
    9:23/mi, 1% incline and 19 minutes altogether

Circuits: 60minutes
    Can’t recall this session either

PM 7miles @ 9:18/mi (65minutes)
    Hills again, the usual sharp long hill done three times. This hill doesn’t have a footpath so I’m milking it while the evenings are still bright. Also have Connemara on the back of my mind and there’s no harm in getting the legs used to long pulls from early in the plan.

Everyone in work is sick so I’ve been surrounding myself with mandarin oranges, plumbs and every other food with Vitamin C in it.

Friday October 14th
    AM 45mins Wattbike (22.5km)
    5min wu
    5mins each @ L7 – L1
    5min cd

25mins S & C
    Mostly upper body stretches with a couple of sun salutations. Sore throat and way too much happening this weekend to get sick aggghhhhhh

Saturday October 15th & Sunday October 15th
    A funeral and a wedding coupled with a sore throat, a chest infection and feeling like a boiled sh**e so no time or motivation to do anything.

Monday October 17th
    Still feeling like sh**e, full blown chest infection, and a nose running like a tap.

Found it difficult to sleep because of the coughing so I propped myself up on a few pillows and I wake up with a stiff neck and can’t turn in either direction.

If I was planning on running the marathon I’d be straight down to the doctor for anti-biotics and steroids but as I’m not and I’ve had an anti-biotic free year so far, I’ll up my steroid inhaler, sweat this one out and see if I can clear it myself. Cue copious amounts of manuka honey, marshmallow root, thyme and oregano oil.

Tuesday October 18th
    90mins of yoga
    I figured that this wouldn’t be the death of me and the breathing through the nose techniques actually cleared things up for a bit. Neck still really stiff.

Wednesday October 19th
    Nada/rest/sleep

Thursday October 20th
    Circuits: stations @ 3 x 90 secs each
    There was jumping and crawling and I don’t know what possessed me to think that I might be able for this. Sweat, buckets of sweat from minimal effort – not better, not better at all. Back to bed.

Friday, Saturday & Sunday, Oct 21st – 23rd
    Another wedding and feeling marginally better but stuck to two hot ports and a relatively early night, for a wedding. Still lots of phlegm but the manuka honey is definitely doing the trick. I think I’m getting to the other side of this infection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good lord! I think I'll have to spray myself down with disinfectant after reading how sick and snotty you've been. :eek: ;)

How's the fractured cheek?? :eek: How's the uber cool scar on your face?? :eek: You signing up for Norseman?? I'll be your support team if you get in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Did someone say "Norseman"? [sits up]

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Good lord! I think I'll have to spray myself down with disinfectant after reading how sick and snotty you've been. :eek: ;)

How's the fractured cheek?? :eek: How's the uber cool scar on your face?? :eek: You signing up for Norseman?? I'll be your support team if you get in. :)

I'm glad you're on the other side of the Atlantic for this dose that's going around Dory, everyone seems to be a snottery mess at the moment. I'm all better now though :)

My cheek is good, thank you. Still sore to the touch (and I still can't sleep on my right hand side) but it's not causing me any bother except I'm more cautious of falling or hitting my face off something. Not that I ever made a habit of hitting my face off things, it was just that one time, but I'm a wuss if there's wet leaves on the ground of if I'm doing any exercise where I might slip and go splat - even though that's never happened either.

The scar is looking ok, it's getting paler. The consultant recommended this silicone gel called Dermatix and it seems to be evening out the skin so it doesn't feel as lumpy.

Norseman? I had to google that. I was pleasantly surprised to see the The Norseman is a pub in Dublin :) Will your support be in the form of bring the pints back from the bar or will you be supporting me by having a drink for every one I drink? .........but then I saw something about Extreme Norseman. Eeeeeekkkkk - 3.5km swim.

Eh I'm not so sure about that but .... I may as well lay my cards on the table now, I have signed up for The Race in March. Well, that's not exactly how it happened, my friend signed me up for the Race in March and now I'm committed.
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Did someone say "Norseman"? [sits up]

Sure, Dory and I will be your support :)

In an effort to get this log up to date, here is last weeks training ......

Monday October 24th
    Training for the Connemara marathon started today – with a day of rest :)

I’m following the Boards plan for 2016. It served me very well last year for my first marathon and if I could achieve sub-4 in Connemara with the same plan, I’d be well chuffed. It should also allow me to continue with the other disciplines for the Winter, I’ll be upping the mileage on the bike and there’s a few more big hikes on the horizon.

I’m kicking off my training a bit early as I need to have some big mileage done for another race that I have in the pipeline for March next year. This week (and the next few weeks) look like 3m rec or rest/5 w 3 @ PMP/ 3m rec/ 3m easy/ 3m easy/ 6m LSR/ 2m rec. I’m going to tentatively train for a 9 minute mile marathon pace so that will be my PMP. This will/should give me a cushion for the hills in the second half of Connemara.

Tuesday October 25th
    AM Circuits: 6 stations @ 3x90secs each
    1. Side walk while squatting & dyna band around thigh and shoes, ooohhh tough
    2. Plank using the stability ball with toe taps
    3. Sliders: side single leg knee tucks & two leg knee tucks (I couldn’t do the two legged knee tuck as my right thigh was cramping)
    4. Sliders: 20 mountain climbers & 10 pikes
    5. Step: Reverse lunges, dynamic and fast
    6. Reverse lunge with one arm kettlebell clean (8kg)

Lunch 3.24miles @ 9:17/mi
    Just a handy 3 miles to test the lungs. Legs feeling ok, little bit of coughing but not as heavy as I expected.

PM 90mins yoga
    Breathing exercises including retentions
    Sun salutation x 8 + 2 sun salutations holding each pose for 1 minute
    Head stands: all sorts of weird standing out our head exercises

Wednesday October 26th
    AM 30mins S&C
    Early start in work so not much time to get a session in. Mostly foam rolling. Legs and abs are quite stiff from yesterdays workout so this was badly needed.

PM 5.1miles with 6 hill repeats
    This session isn’t in the plan but I felt like the legs needed a kick start so I’ll try to do this once a week.
    The hill is roughly 145meters and the first one took me 40 seconds so I aimed to keep it consistent and just about managed it. Lets see if I can increase the reps and decrease the time as the weeks tick away.

45mins Wattbike (24km)
    I followed the hill repeat up with a session on the bike.
    15min wu
    4mins each @ L10 – L6 off 1 min recovery
    5min cd
    I forgot to bring a t-shirt so I’d to wear the long sleeved top that I had on outside. The heat was unreal.

Thursday October 27th
    AM Circuits: 6 stations x 90 secs each
    Mostly cardio with ladders and such to negotiate. We did a new take on the ropes – done in the kneeling down position with a straight back. Really worked the core.

PM 3.21miles (30mins)
    Has 30 minutes to spare before a work thingy so hit the gym for
    5mins easy
    20mins @ PMP
    5mins easy
    Not in the right headspace, programmed treadmill for 10mph instead of 10kph, came very close to being thrown off the back of it, phew. Hate the treadmill.

Friday October 28th
    AM 45mins wattbike (22km)
    Easy spinning – had a late night so not able for much else

25mins S&C
    Hamstrings, mostly hamstrings

PM 4.1miles recovery @ 9:43/mi (40mins)
    Few miles around the pitches at Dangan after work. Enjoying the recovery miles.

Saturday October 29th
    AM Circuits: 6 stations @ 6 x 90 secs
    1. pushing weights
    2. ropes & lunge and overhead press
    3. Backward lunges and overhead press
    Ropes & push-ups on the bosu ball
    4. Single leg squats & over head press (10kg)
    5. Chin ups & ball slams (10kg)
    6. Squat & overhead press (2x5kg)

15mins Wattbike
    Tough circuits on the legs so Enda suggested spinning it out on the bike after

PM LSR: 6.31miles @ 9:42/mi (61mins)
    Ok, I know 6 miles isn’t really a LSR but it’s in the plan and I’m base building so this was just dandy. Tad bit too fast. Slow down Neady.

Sunday October 30th
    4.2miles recovery @ 9:56/mi
    I’m enjoying running which it’s still bright outside – there’s an energy that comes from the brightness – might start getting out at lunch time once the clocks change. Legs felt fresh after this one.

That's 26 miles for the week plus 3 hours of circuits, 2 on the wattbike and 2 of strength and conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Great to hear that you are healing well Neady, best of luck with the Connemarathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

The Race??? THE RACE??? :eek:

Has that cold relieved you of all your senses?? ;) Kidding. You'll be fine. You'll prepare for it, and you'll be totally fine. Just prepare for it. Really, really prepare for it. Oryx did it in 2015. Epic, but incredibly tough. But anyone who does The Race is, by definition, tough. Props. :)

Monday October 31st
    4.24miles recovery @ 9:26/mi
    I did this along by the river and the pitches in Dangan. The morning after a bank holiday Sunday and you’d think everyone would be in bed. Not so, the river was busy with rowers and there were many dog walkers and runners out on the trails. Stunning morning for it.

45mins Wattbike (24m)
    Followed up my run with some spinning.
    15min wu
    4mins @ L10 – L6 off 1 min recovery
    5min cd

Tuesday November 1st
    AM Circuits: 6 stations @ 3 x 90secs
    1. Sliders under palms and pushing down the gym floor
    2. Single leg hip raise with 8kg kettle bell on hip
    3. Ropes (alternating waves) & half lunge & press (emphasis on fast presses with 2x4kg)
    4. Plank weight transfer (3x0.5kg & 3x1kg)
    5. Dumbbell push-up into a row (2x4kg)
    6. Wall sit with resistance band under feet & raising with hands

Lunch The plan says 5miles, 1wu, 3 @ PMP, 1cd: 9:20, 8:37, 8:35, 8:35, 9:10
    Done around the pitches at Dangan in the glorious sunshine. This was one of those runs were everything clicked, my legs felt light and they just kept on turning. The pace was too hot for PMP but when my legs are ticking over like they were on this run ….. I’ll take it ☺ I’m beginning to enjoy this running lark again.

PM 90mins yoga
    Twists: many different twists, great for the back

Wednesday November 2nd
    AM 50minutes wattbike (25km)
    20min wu
    20 x 35sec sprint (100+ rpms) & 25sec recovery
    10min cd
    I didn’t fancy the sprints, legs felt tired but I got through them. Found it difficult to hit and hold 100rpms for the first few but was well into in towards the end.

20mins S&C
    Chest, upper back, back of arms
    Heel drops, quads, cobra
    Foam roller: calves, hamstrings & quads

Lunch 4.53miles with 6 hill repeats
    I used the same hill as last week, roughly 145meters.
    Splits in seconds: 40, 39, 38, 39, 38, 39 off a 70 second recovery jog down the hill.
    Slight improvement on last weeks splits.

Thursday November 3rd
    AM 2.2miles @ 9:12/mi
    Gentle warmer upper/waker upper before circuits

Circuits: 7 stations @ 4 x 70 secs
    1. Ball slams (10kg) & high knees over hurdles
    2. Split squat with overhead press (10kg)
    3. Medicine ball plank with a tinsy winsy 3kg ball
    4. Bosu ball: side lunges & push-up & drop
    5. Medicine ball: side shuffle & throw
    6. Dumbbell: Twister squats & split squat and press
    7. Burpees with sliders & planks moving forward & back off the elbows

PM 3.7miles @ 9:15/mi (34mins)
    Stressed to the hilt after realising that a funding proposal that I was working on had to be submitted in hard copy format in Dublin by 12 on tomorrow – all the while there was a stream of students coming in to give out about the library so it was a late one to get it finished. Decided to get out for 3 easy ones to try and blow off the stress.

Friday November 4th
    4miles @ 9:10/mi (37mins)
    Silly o clock bus to Dublin meant no morning session and I was heading home to Clare after work so I exited the city before the traffic got too bad and got 4 crisp miles done around Kilcornan woods before it got dark.

Saturday November 5th
    27km hike with 1,750m elevation gain: Mt. Brandon to Annascaul Lake
    I love hiking but I will never enjoy the alarm going off at 2:40am. Parked up at Annascaul Lake and got a lift to Faha with Jacqo. Off we went just as night was turning into day and we were blessed with a spectacular sunrise. It was crisp with a nice wind blowing but this served us well as it blew the cloud off the mountains to give us 360 views all day. It made for a fantastic day on the mountains, we kept tipping away all day, only stopping to make sure the navigation was bang on.

I had one serious wobble on one of the mountains. We were skirting around the side of it before committing to the climb to the summit and when we turned into it, the climb was very steep and the hill was grassy, wet and slippy. My legs turned to jelly and I was shaking – once the thoughts of slipping and the consequences enter the head, it’s difficult to rid your mind of them. I’d no choice but to dig deep and crawl slowly up the mountain. Never so glad to see the summit. I’m sure my head for heights will come back in time, it seems to be just on grassy greasy stuff this happens on. We were glad to make the decent to Annascaul lake while it was still bright and we were able to take a decent enough line off the hill.

Back to the hostel in Cloghane, cooked ourselves up some steaks and settled into the local pub for a few beers and the rugby by the fire. Gotta love winter hiking ☺

Sunday November 6th
    6.1miles @ 9:52/mi
    Frank and I headed out for an early morning jog up to the village of Brandon and along the coast. It was a nice hilly route so our pace was naturally at LSR pace. A great run to blow off the cobwebs.

Just over 31 miles for the week, 9 hours of hiking, 1.5 hours on the bike and almost 4 hours of S&C. Feeling good after the week and the easy miles are feeling easier.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Great to hear that you are healing well Neady, best of luck with the Connemarathon training.

Cheers Jake, the LSRs will be tougher in the Winter but by Spring it should be better. Looking forward to the challenge :)
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    The Race??? THE RACE??? :eek:

Has that cold relieved you of all your senses?? ;) Kidding. You'll be fine. You'll prepare for it, and you'll be totally fine. Just prepare for it. Really, really prepare for it. Oryx did it in 2015. Epic, but incredibly tough. But anyone who does The Race is, by definition, tough. Props. :)

I'll never forget Oryxs report, it's a race to be reckoned with. I've done lots of 24 hour multi-sport races, I know what nutrition works for me and I'll have the miles in the legs. The weather and the mental solitude will be what get me - and the kayak, I've to coax myself back into the water again. Hopefully it's one I can finish, I'll do my best anyway :)

Jeez you're like Iarnrod Eireann - on-rail....

Monday November 7th
    AM 35mins Wattbike
    Easy spinning to loosen out the legs after the weekend.

30 mins S&C
    Sun salutations and lots of twists

PM 4.5miles @ 9:02/mi
    Hit the pitches after work and switched off my mind, I didn’t use the watch for pace but went on effort instead.

Tuesday November 8th
    AM 2.2miles @ 9:02/mi (20mins)
    Warm up on the dreadmill before circuits. Started off at LSR pace for 5 mins, MP for 10mins & HMP for 5mins.

Circuits: 6 stations @ 3x90secs each
    1. 45secs toe taps, 45secs bicycle kicks
    2. Sliders: 45secs mountain climbers & 45secs Pike
    3. Ropes: single handed swings & Ball slams (10kg)
    4. Push-ups using the stability ball
    5. Squat and overhead press (10kg kettle bell)
    6. Turkish sit up (10kg)
    7. spider crawls

Lunch Plan says 5miles, 1wu, 3 @ PMP, 1cd
    Paces: 9:11, 8:37, 8:32, 8:34, 8:58
    Lashing rain and baltic cold but if I’m planning on training for a marathon in the Winter months I can’t let the rain be an excuse so off I high tailed it. My MP and cd miles were too fast - I couldn’t see the watch because of the rain so I was working off effort plus I spent most of the run dodging massive logs of water around the pitches in Dangan. I might have to resort to my trail runners for better grip and drainage if the pitches stay this waterlogged for the Winter.

PM 90mins yoga
    Wall stretches, hamstring and back lengthening stretches

Wednesday November 9th
    AM 20mins S&C
    Much foam rolling using the teeth of roller. I feel like my legs are really heavy at the moment, specifically my thighs. I’m not as light on my feet on the mountains as I used to be (it doesn’t affect my running) so I’m going to concentrate on rolling my quads and hamstrings for a bit.

AM 50minutes wattbike (25km)
    20min wu
    20 x 35sec sprint (100+ rpms) & 25sec recovery
    10min cd
    Yuk to this especially as I was in front of the big TV showing coverage of the US election. I don’t think I’ll ever forget where I was when Trump was elected. I barely remember the session as I sat there incredulous at what was unfolding in front of my eyes.

Lunch 4.46miles with 6 hill repeats
    The usual hill, 145ish meters.
    Splits in seconds: 40, 40, 40, 39, 40, 41 off a 70 second recovery jog down the hill.
    I wasn’t feeling the love for running at lunch because I was up late last night and the tiredness was setting in but I’d a dinner date with friends later so it was either get it done at lunch or not at all. The warm up was a bit too fast. No improvement on last weeks splits, in fact 1 sec slower per repeat. The effort was there though – there was a nice breeze against me so that might have contributed.

Thursday November 10th
    AM Circuits: 6 stations x 90 secs each
    Really found it difficult to get up for this. Sooooooooo tired.
    1. High knees across two ladders followed by low to the ground spider crawls
    2. Pushing weights on the ground up & down the gym & pulling weights
    3. Ball slams (10kg) & Squat and throw with 5kg
    4. Ropes … on the bosu ball with the round side down. Core & cardio all in one.
    5. Shoulder press (8kg) from half kneeling while holding form
    6. Ab roller

PM 7.2miles @ 9:22/mi (68mins)
    Got out onto the trails at Dangan just as it got dark but it was a nice evening with little cloud so my night vision was enough to get me around. I covered 3 miles around the pitches and headed out onto the streets for the rest.

Friday November 11th
    AM 50mins wattbike (23km)
    15min wu
    4mins each @ L10 – L5 off 1 min recovery
    5min cd

2.75miles @ 9:10/mi (25mins)
    Brick session so started off at 10min/mi and upped the pace every 5 minutes. This felt good. Would have liked to do a few more miles but not enough time in the AM. No evening session as I hit for Kilkenny after work for our annual Kilkenomics girly weekend away.

Saturday November 12th
    Rest
    I had the best of intentions of getting out for an early run around Kilkenny but we heard the dawn chorus on our way home from Friday night so I wasn’t in any fit state to be going running. By the time I drove back to Galway, I was in a hoop.

Sunday November 13th
    8.7miles @ 9:15/mi
    My long run for the week and I had to hold the pace back - it was still too fast but I felt good and light on my feet. I would have done another mile or two but I was stuck for time.

35miles for the week plus 2¼ hours on the wattbike, 2 hours of circuits and 2¼ hours of S&C. Ticking along nicely and the mileage is creeping up without putting any pressure on the body.

• Advertisement

Monday November 14th
    6miles @ 9:10/mi (55mins)
    Up at silly o clock to get the 6:40 flight to Brussels for work. Got a window of opportunity before the conference dinner to hit the dreadmill for a bit. One of the men attending the conference who I had introduced myself to earlier was on one of two treadmills so I hopped on the one beside him. I’m not sure what the etiquette is in these situations, we said hello and I felt awkward (and I wanted my me time) so I put my headphones in and put the treadmill going so fast that I wouldn’t be able to talk :D I did about 4km at 10km pace :D

Tuesday November 15th
    3miles @ 10:00/mi (30mins)
    An early run before breakfast and I was really not feeling the love for the dreadmill. I managed 3 miles at a crawl and I couldn’t stomach anymore because the heat in the room was crazy. The man from the conference hopped on the treadmill next to me and we exchanged pleasantries again. We chatted later in the day and he told me that I’m a very neat runner and I’m light on my feet. I’ve been told before that I’m a neat or a tidy runner but I’m not sure what it means.

Wednesday November 16th
    Lunch 60minutes wattbike (30km)
    20min wu
    20 x 40sec sprint (100+ rpms) & 30sec recovery
    17min cd
    I got an early flight home and the bus back to Galway. Grabbed my gear and hit for the gym for a brick session before work. I’ve been doing 35 second sprints off 25 second recovery so I upped these a bit today – legs felt strong and I was able to hold 105rpms for most of the sprints. Working on the bike is always so much easier in the afternoon when my legs are more awake.

3.25miles @ 9:18/mi (30mins)
    Hopped on the dreadmill after the bike and started with 10mins @ 10:00/mi and upped it to MP (9:00/mi) for the rest. No problems running of the bike.

PM 4.48miles with 6 hill repeats
    Splits in seconds: 41, 39, 39, 39, 38, 39 off a 70 second recovery jog down the hill.
    I did this after work so realistically only had 3.5 hours recovery after the brick session but it went ok. There was a nice breeze pushing me back as I neared the top of the hill, probably the same as last week so the numbers were good considering. I knew I didn’t push the first one hard enough so made a concerted effort to use my arms and lift my legs for the rest.

Thursday November 17th
    AM 3 miles at MP (9:00/mi)
    A warm up before circuits. Legs still asleep, Running 15 minutes after getting up is really not my strong point.

Circuits: 7 stations @ 3x90secs each
    1. Sliders: Crawling with sliders under feet
    2. High knees run & ladder work
    3. Strength exercise for glutes using long band
    4. Ropes: 20x single arm & 10xdouble
    5. Glute bridge with 15kg off the bench
    6. Very clever back exercise using two tennis balls strapped together
    7. Squat with 12kg kettle bell & frog jumps
    Love love loved the trick with the tennis balls. Dave strapped two tennis balls together with tape and we popped them under our backs as we lay on the floor and rolled up & down slowly on them. Bit of pain but I got great relief from it. Will be adding to my box of tricks.

PM 6miles @ 9:14/mi
    Paces: 9:31, 9:20, 9:28, 8:54, 9:04, 9:04
    Bbrrrrrrrrrrr the first really wintery night that I’ve been out. I’m running most of my easy runs by effort for the moment. I turn on the watch but don’t check the paces. Legs felt heavy for the first mile or two, and there was a good long hill on mile 3. I would have said that I ran the 6 miles at the same level of effort and that maybe mile 6 was a little easier so it’s interesting to see the splits after.

Friday November 18th
    AM 60mins wattbike (31km)
    20min wu
    20mins @ L7/8 holding 65 rpms
    20min cd

20mins S&C
    Foam rolling, calves, quads and hamstrings

PM 6.15miles @ 9:14/mi
    Splits: 9:08, 9:18, 9:18, 9:15, 9:31, 8:53
    I got out around the pitches at lunch time for this and it made all the difference to get out while it was bright. Went off effort again, was thinking recovery as I could feel this mornings bike in the legs. The times don’t suggest it was recovery but it felt very easy.

Saturday November 19th
    3miles @ 10:00/mi
    Easy warm up on the treadmill

Circuits: 6 stations @ 4x80secs
    Dynamic warm-up to start. Inch worm & the likes
    1. 20 knee lifts into boxing gloves followed by bear crawls
    2. Walking lunges with weights, one with straight arms, the other with a weight to chest & a twist
    3. Sliders: single arm push up & plank
    4. Single leg step up on box & weight over the head (7.5kg)
    5. Ropes: 20 smacks & 20 mountain climbers
    6. Chin ups & kettle bell swings
    Sunday November 20th
    11.1 miles LSR @ 9:28/mi
    Legs very stiff after yesterdays walking lunges so wasn’t sure how this would pan out. Went off effort for this again & incorporated as many long hills as I could. Great day for running and I was happy to get 4 miles of it done on the trails at Dangan.

46 miles of running for the week, 2 hours of circuits, 2 hours on the wattbike and only 30 minutes of stretching and foam rolling makes for 12 hours for the week. Happy with the running but I should have more stretching in there.

46 miles of running? :o The most I ever did was 55 and that was peak mileage 3 weeks before a marathon.

46 miles of running? :o The most I ever did was 55 and that was peak mileage 3 weeks before a marathon.

There's only one hill session and a handful of MP miles, which at 9:00/mi is still very handy so it's easy enough for me to clock up the miles. You're plan had a lot more meat if I remember correctly. If I was hitting those sessions I wouldn't be hitting such high milage so early on :)

There's only one hill session and a handful of MP miles, which at 9:00/mi is still very handy so it's easy enough for me to clock up the miles. You're plan had a lot more meat if I remember correctly. If I was hitting those sessions I wouldn't be hitting such high milage so early on :)
    This time my plan had more intensity and even less volume again. It's impressive S - it's almost like you've a big lunatic event on the horizon!

Monday November 21st
    AM 30mins easy on the Wattbike
    Slept in a bit. Either I didn’t hear my alarm or I did and I shut it off but either way I was late and only managed 30 minutes of easy spinning before work. If this happened earlier in the year I’d have been really pi**ed off with myself for oversleeping and not gone in to do the 30 minutes but I’m trying to go a bit easier on myself and I figure if I slept in or through my alarm then I needed that sleep and 30 minutes on the bike is better than nada right?.

PM 5miles @ 9:17/mi (47mins)
    Lunch time trail run in the Winter sun – difficult to muster the enthusiasm to get out but happy once it was done.

Tuesday November 22nd
    AM 2.8miles @ 9:00/mi (25mins)
    Treadmill warm up pre circuits. Started off slow and increased the pace accordingly.

Circuits: 7 stations @ 3x90seconds
    Can’t recall the session but there was much cardio work and my insides weren’t too pleased about it for some reason.

PM 90 mins Yoga
    Warrior 1, 2 & 3 plus some twists.
    Head wasn’t in the game at all, work was taking centre stage in my head and my balance was all over the shop as a consequence. Great way to warm up on these cold evenings though.

Wednesday November 23rd
    AM 60minutes wattbike (30km)
    20min wu
    20 x 40sec sprint (100+ rpms) & 30sec recovery
    17min cd
    Legs have no love for these morning sessions, it took everything I had to hold 100rpms for the sprints.

Lunch 3miles @ 10:55/mi (33mins)
    My work colleague is eager to get back running so we went out at lunch for her first run in a while and she flew around. Nice recovery run after this mornings spin.

PM 5.2miles with 8 hill repeats
    Splits in seconds: 41, 38, 37, 38, 39, 39, 38, 39 off a 70 second recovery jog down the hill.
    Headed off after work and was only 500m down the footpath when I’d already two near slips on the ice so doubled back and jogged around the pitches as a warm up – forgot my head torch so was literally running blind. Followed up with 8 hill repeats and luckily the path where my hill is was clear of ice. That first hill is always my slowest, I never quite give it my all.

Thursday November 24th
    AM 3 miles (8:40/mi)
    Warm up before circuits, started slow and ramped up the speed to warm me up.

Circuits: 7 stations @ 3x90secs each
    I didn’t record the session and I really can’t remember what we did.

PM 6.6miles @ 9:19/mi
    I remembered my head torch ☺ so took to the pitches where there was no chance of me going splat on the ground. Enjoyed this run. Still running without checking the watch and loving it.

Friday November 25th
    AM 60mins wattbike (30km)
    20min wu
    20mins @ L8/9 holding 60 rpms
    20min cd
    Tired, legs oh so tired

3.2 miles @ 9:35/mi
    Splits: 9:08, 9:18, 9:18, 9:15, 9:31, 8:53
    Brick session so hopped on the treadmill off the bike, started slow and legs felt ok.

Saturday November 26th
    Hike: 27km with 1,250ish meters (6.5hours)
    Myself and a few of the lads headed to Jacqos side country for this one, Glenbeigh. We headed up Drung Hill and took in a horseshoe before descending down the Windy Gap. Absolutely cracking day for it. It was a nice crispy frosty morning and there was some cloud inversions so we were above the cloud all day looking over at the Reeks peeking about the clouds. It’s a great horseshoe and it’s easy to organise the cars as the end is only a 15 minute drive from the start. The ground was good and good underfoot, nice and hard so we flew around this at a really good pace so despite the coolness, there was sweat running down my face. One of those hikes where you’re reminded why you do this, stunning.

I got a chance to break in my new hiking boots today. I picked up a pair of meindl Bhutans during the week and they were nice and comfy today. Sickened to have to shell out for a new pair of boots as my other two pairs of meindl boots are perfect but my feet has gone up half to a full size in the last year so it’s proved to be an expensive year upgrading all my footwear. Still, it was enjoyable not to have to scrunch up my toes for 7 hours of hiking.

Sunday November 27th
    30km of mountain biking, 2,600ft (3 hours)
    We hunkered down in the local in Glenbeigh Saturday night enjoying a roasting open fire and some hot ports. Out at sun up on Sunday morning to do a mountain bike loop that Jacqo recommended and it delivered. Fairly frosty starting out, it took half an hour for the heat to come back into my fingers but once we started climbing, we weren’t long warming up. There were some hike a bike sections where the track has been eroded quite a bit and the calves were screaming.
    I could more than feel the lactic acid built up on my legs on one or two of the grinding climbs.

We had two punctures and a broken chain between us but by the time they happened, the sun was shining and we were enjoying the views. Just over 3 hours moving on the MTB on some pretty cool trails.

2 hours of circuits,
    2.5hours on the wattbike,
    3 hours on the MTB,
    1.5 hours S&C,
    4.5 hours running (only 29miles this week and no long run :() and
    6.5 hours hiking. It’s difficult to keep the running mileage up when the weekends are gone doing other activities but I can’t complain, variety is the spice of life.

This week and next will be step back weeks as I’m away in Italy on my holidays so I’ll only be able to enjoy some running. The Christmas holidays at home should give me some quality time on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Ah - finally, three workouts a day. I was wondering when that was going to start. :eek: Savage week, Neady.

Ah - finally, three workouts a day. I was wondering when that was going to start. :eek: Savage week, Neady.

Thanks Nop :) Getting there and really enjoying running again, it's taken a while to find the love for it again but I think I'm in my happy place again :) The variety really does make it all enjoyable.

Monday November 28th
    AM 45mins easy on the Wattbike
    Easy spinning to loosen out the legs after the weekends escapades.

30mins of Foam rolling
    Followed up by a good foam rolling session – quads felt the benefit or rolling out the remaining lactic acid from the bike yesterday.

PM 1.8 @ 13:48/mi (25mins) + 3.4miles @ 9:41/mi (33mins)
    Kicked off couch to 5km with Kieran again. Fingers crossed that this time we can build up the mileage without him busting his legs.
    Followed it up with a few very easy miles by myself.

Tuesday November 29th
    AM 2miles @ 10:00/mi (20mins)
    Treadmill warm up pre circuits. Slow and easy.

Circuits: 7 stations @ 3x90seconds
    Don’t remember the session – need to write this stuff down while it’s fresh in my head.

Wednesday November 30th
    Rest
    Travelling to Bolzano in Italy via Munich with Kieran for a little bit of work but mostly holidaying :) so no time for a run but enjoyed amazing views of the Alps on the train from Munich to Bolzano.

Thursday December 1st
    AM 3.3miles @ 9:51/mi (33mins)
    I met up with an old friend of mine before breakfast and she took me out to show me a great trail that runs along the river bank and she pointed out a trail that runs up a mountain that I could try later in the day.

It was nice and bright but pretty cold, -2 or -3 but not THAT cold though Xiao was in fits of laughter when she saw me in shorts. I’d checked the temperature before I travelled and I knew it wouldn’t be that cold so I only packed shorts & long sleeved tops. She seemed to think I was bonkers in shorts as she stood there in tights, fleece, hat, gloves and wrapped up like an eskimo. As it turned out, all the other runners were wrapped up like eskimos too and the looks I was getting, you’d swear that I was buck naked.

Lunch 8.2miles @ 10:27/mi (86mins)
    I headed out on the trails around lunch time when the sun was throwing out some heat. Met lots of runners again and they were still wrapped up with eskimos, buffs and hats and all sorts of layers on. I decided to try the trail leading up the mountain that Xiao showed me this morning.

I happened upon a man running up the trail too, he looked local and was tipping along at a nice pace so I figured I’d stay behind him and let him pace me but I got impatient and overtook him though I knew that by doing that I’d have to commit and stay in front of him. The trail zig zagged up the mountain so there was roughly 100m between each zig and zag. The guy stayed about 15m behind me all the way (I was under a nice bit of pressure) and caught me on a flat section close to the top. We had a quick chat and he told me where to make the turn around to head back down again. It was about 1.5miles up with a few flat sections here and there and a nice bit of elevation gain. I headed down and enjoyed the views but decided when I got to the bottom to head up again :) It was even better the second time but the decent doesn’t lend itself to speed because of all the switch backs.

Friday December 2nd
    AM 3.3miles @ 9:42/mi (32mins)
    A pre breakfast run with Xiao once again and a perfect pace for just out of bed baltic cold running :)

Lunch 9.6miles @ 10:28/mi (101mins)
    I did a little bit more exploring on this one so had a good 4 miles done before I headed up the mountain. I did the hill twice again today and I just loved it, it’s a very special place. New trails and new scenery make the miles absolutely fly by, I did not feel the time going on any of my runs this week. Of course I wasn’t watching the clock either, I was just running and enjoying the scenery.

Saturday December 3rd
    9.2miles @ 10:12/mi (94mins)
    Another lunch time run and two passes of the mountain :) I’m really going to miss this place.

Sunday December 4th
    1.3miles @ 13:55/mi (18mins) + 4.5miles @ 10:22/mi (47mins)
    I did a warm up with Kieran as part of his C25K plan and then headed up the mountain myself – my last run up here. It was nice and toasty in the sun and the time flew by again.

1 hour of circuits
    45 mins on the wattbike
    1 hour of stretching and foam rolling
    8 hours and a bit running that included 47 very enjoyable and hilly miles
    11 hours for the week and lots of hills, hopefully these will stand to me in Connemara. Happy enough with that and the body is feeling pretty rested despite getting a good bit of running in.

Monday December 5th
    AM 3.2miles @ 9:44/mi (31mins)
    I hauled my tushy out of bed early for one last run around Bolzano before we got the train to Munich. Bolzano I will miss you but I will be back to run more of your trails and do some hiking in the Dolomites :)

Tuesday December 6th
    AM 2.63miles @ 11:25/mi (30mins)
    An early morning trot around a very tinsy winsy little park in Munich. Kieran was with me and I did a few 90 second stints with him. I had intended to do a few miles on my own but sweet mother of gad, running in -5 degrees is really hard. My lungs weren’t functioning and I really couldn’t feel my legs so I called it a day after 30 minutes …. and I missed the long trails and fresh air that Italy offered.

Wednesday December 7th
    AM 3.06miles @ 10:12/mi (31mins)
    One last run in Munich and that tiny park that I had to run around a bazillion times. There were two guys doing laps of the park and our paths crossed just once … one of them was wearing shorts too wohoo, I nearly high fived him. A not so balmy -6 degrees but I think I was slightly more acclimatised so it didn’t feel as tough. Mind you, stepping into the shower afterwards and the hot water felt like tinsy little needles stabbing my legs.

We did a day trip to the concentration camp at Dachau before we flew home. It was quite the sobering experience, it’s so cold, bleak, lifeless and grey there. Standing out in the cold for 4 hours while we our guide walked and talked us through the different areas in the camp only served to heighten our sympathies for the people who perished there. More than once, it was mooted that unemployment and unhappiness by the masses contributed to this kind of atrocity and you couldn’t help but draw some parallels with the recent events in the UK and the USA.

Thursday December 8th
    AM Circuits: 7 stations @ 4x60secs
    Our flight was delayed leaving Munich last night because of ice, freezing fog and 25 other planes in a queue waiting to take off so it was close to 3am when I finally settled into bed. I set my alarm anyway and I woke before it got a chance to wake me so I figured I may as well hit the gym before work.

1. Bosu ball: side jumps & lunges with a resistance band
    2. Squat and side jumps
    3. Single leg deadlifts with 2 kettlebells (2x10kg)
    4. Single leg squats with 5kg weight out front
    5. Crawls with resistance band around feet, ouchy on the hips
    6. Ropes: 15 smacks & a burpee
    7. Front lunge & press (2x7.5kg)

PM 4.5miles @ 8:54/mi (8:54/mi)
    Unplanned rage run – there were many hills so the time doesn’t reflect the amount of rage. Was working with my boss from his house today on a funding proposal. Days like that are loooooonnnngggg. The pace doesn’t reflect the rage because I popped into the shop en route to get some basil to make pesto and my watch was still running.

Friday December 9th
    AM 60minutes Wattbike (30km)
    Easy spinning – everything is stiff and hurts from circuits yesterday and I’m tired but …… it’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas :)

15minutes Foam rolling
    Oh my calves, ouchie

PM 7.03miles @8:34/mi (60mins)
    Needed to sit out the traffic before heading home to Clare so figured I may as well get a run in. This was one of those runs where everything just fell into place. My favourite tune came on when I turned on my ipod shuffle, the moon was shining brightly in the sky & I didn’t need my head torch to see the trails around the pitches in Dangan. It almost felt like I was floating. The silhouettes of the trees against the calm river and clear blue sky – magical :)

Saturday December 10th
    PM 6.10miles @ 8:17/mi (51mins)
    After a day in Ennis shopping (all Christmas shopping done, including the turkey in the freezer), I was eager to get out so I cajoled my brother to come for a run with me. We headed to Kilrush to take advantage of the streetlights and run along by the marina. We did two loops and there was no slowing my brother down to a more marathon training friendly pace.

Sunday December 11th
    AM 110km on the roadie at 25.something kmph (4hrs 15mins)
    I had a date arranged with the West Clare Tri Club to tag along with their club spin this morning but my brother (the other one) said he’d come with me for a spin and we had a nice route planned out in our head so we decided to do our own thing.

Cycling in shorts in the month of December, who’d have thought it. Nice spin along the estuary of the river Shannon, heading West to Loop Head on some pretty bone rattling roads. By the time we reached the lighthouse, we were a lovely shade of cow s**te - we picked the roads all the farmers were using to move cows & spread slurry. It was worth it though because we had the roads to ourselves and could ride two abreast, happily chatting away.

My legs felt good but my ar*e needs to be reacquainted with the saddle. It was starting to give me a bit of bother after 80km so we stopped in Kilkee for 10 minutes and enjoyed a coffee overlooking the bay. Put the head down and upped the pace on the hilly 30km from Kilkee to home (into a headwind) and was happy enough with how I held up.

Happy enough with where I am on the bike with three months to the Race. Should get out a lot more on the bike over Christmas holidays.

1 hour of circuits
    45 mins on the Wattbike
    4 hours 15 on the roadie
    15 mins S&C (naughty Néady)
    4 hours and 27miles of road running for the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done, Neady, that's some training you have going on. An example to us all. Home from abroad at 3am and in the gym before work, Jaysus.

What's a rage run?

110km at 25kph on rough roads is great going. Well done to your brother, no surprise you can do it ;D.

Thanks for the update on your arse, was worried about it :D.

Advertisement