Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New Adventure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Dammit Neady, I started reading on Tuesday and I am still not finished well into Wednesday! What a report! I am running out of superlatives!
    Bring on Connemara, I feel a bit sorry for nop cause really your just gonna kick his ass :pac:

Yep. I know. :eek:

Edit: Some more praise is required :)

Thank you, Neady, for being such an inspiration - and taking the effort to document it all. Not only are your training updates epic and legendary, the above race reports are fabulous. The dedication to the race, the highlights, but also how you deal with the low points are inspiring - and I personally benefit from reading it and remembering it during my own meagre adventures (and their many low moments). On top of that, your positive attitude is infectious and you manage to find words of encouragement and praise for all those around you! It's awesome!

Lastly, thanks for providing great entertainment on the day itself - probably without realizing it! A colleague of mine is from Donegal and had told me about this mythical race last year, as he knows some of the other competitors. We were looking forward to a day on the tracker. All day, many of us kept checking "your dot" and during the final marathon, it became a full-time job! We were roaring you on from the comfort of our laptops :) Towards the end, I resorted to checking out where you were running using Google Streetview, but I did realize you wouldn't know you were that close to number 3. Oh well - you have left something to be coming back for! Also a word of praise for Kieran - what's that saying, "behind every great woman .. "? :) Looking forward to see you in CNM!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Fantastic report Neady, a great read and really gives a great insight into the determination required and the demons involved in getting through an endurance event of that magnitude, i hope to do it one day, i will be sure to bend your ear (if willing) for advice, hope the recovery is going well and best of luck in the connemarathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

annapr wrote: »
    Fantastic performance Neady!!!! Really looking forward to the report, after you get some rest of course!!!!

Congrats you are some woman!!!

Thanks so much Anna, I hope the report lives up to expectations :) I don't think I'll get the "Hills of Donegal" out of my head for quite a while. You come from the most beautiful part of the country with the most unbelievably kind people :)
    You must be thrilled. That was a brilliant time. Well done :D

P.S I felt so lazy yesterday dot watching!!!

Thanks K, I'm really delighted that it all went well and the training paid dividends :) I've no doubt you were out doing your own mad training this weekend. Must pop over to AP and check up on your progress.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Unreal!!! I am in awe! That's just fantastic, S!!!!!!

Thank you A, you're pretty spectacular yourself - you'd have made a better job of the marathon than I did :)
    denis b wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted for you S. That must be very satisfying. Well done.

Thank you Denis, it's a pretty sweet feeling alright when it all falls into place :)
    aquinn wrote: »
    Amazing, absolutely incredible. Well done.

Thank you A, hopefully I'll see you at a race soon enough :)
    Congrats, super performance. You were blessed with the weather too.

Thanks StR :0 We were so very fortunate with the weather. Perhaps the weather gods thought we deserved a breaks after ITERA last year :) Rachel has told me loads about you - we must catch up the next time I'm in Ballina.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Super stuff. Can't wait for the report!

Thanks BG - hope it doesn't disappoint!!
    zico10 wrote: »
    Well done Neady. Great going over the weekend. Enjoy a well earned rest now.

Cheers Zico, I'm still savouring it. The legs are enjoying the rest now.
    See, knew you wouldn't have a problem. You are a tough cookie! Well done Sinead. Very happy for you

Thank you Mike, you had more faith in me then I had in myself. Thank you for your encouragement throughout the year :)

Tá mise ag "tracking" freisin. Tá an séu bean dlúth taobh thiar, ach tá Neady ag déanamh dul chun cinn.

Thank you HSR :) for the encouragement and for tracking. I hope you enjoyed the dot watching as much as I enjoyed moving the dot :)
    Next time bring your phone and we'll text you :D:D.

I don't think there are enough superlatives to cover what you did last weekend S, here's a few to start of with anyway..

excellent, magnificent, wonderful, glorious, marvellous, brilliant, supreme, consummate, outstanding, prodigious, dazzling, remarkable :D

I'm in total awe, watching your dot, especially through the final stages on the bike and then the marathon as you passed dot after dot was thrilling. All your hard work has truly truly paid off and I couldn't be more delighted that you far exceeded your goal.

Bring on Connemara, I feel a bit sorry for nop cause really your just gonna kick his ass :pac:

I can't thank you enough for being so kind and supportive over the last year that I've gotten to know you. You alway say the right thing at the right time.

I really hope that we get to do one of these races together some day. When you're off the bench, you're going to be a powerhouse and I know that you'd enjoy this kind of race immensely.
    diego_b wrote: »
    So much good stuff in that report, thrilled for you with how well it went and your training really paid off. I watched a video last night on fb on the race and I have to say a few times going ah now when you see what you were after completing. The second bike stage just seemed cruel to me! Hope you recover well and best of luck for your next challenge!

You're very kind Diego :) I'm glad you enjoyed the video, they did a cracking job on it. I'm feeling good so far and without injury so looking forward to getting back to doing some gentle training.

snailsong wrote: »
    Neady, did anyone mention that you're fantastic? Nothing can get on top of you.

A few things strike me reading that report,
    1. Apart from the training, your race preparation was meticulous. You'd planned every step down to pace, nutrition, rest in transition etc and that included A and B plans. You seemed to have a map of every incline on the 250km course in your head and were able to recall it even after a full day racing. Awesome. This is crucially important and an area in which lesser racers, such as myself, fall down in.
    2. You're an endurance monster. The further you go the better you get. I learned this when I ran with last summer but you really demonstrated it again.
    3. Your positivity is endless. Who sets out for an uphill marathon in the dark, alone, after 15 hours on the go with a smile on their face? Only you.
    Put it all together and that's an unstoppable force.

Thanks so much P, that means a lot.

I had put an enormous amount of time into planning food and clothes for each stage. I'd gone through each transition so many times in my mind that I wasn't going to let it go wrong :) It's only with experience that I've realised how important this is.

.... and yes, one thing that I felt and thought on that final run is that these long distance events suit me. Weirdly, I feel better as an event progresses :D There's no speed in my legs like there are in yours though. We all have our own strengths I guess :)
    nop98 wrote: »
    Dammit Neady, I started reading on Tuesday and I am still not finished well into Wednesday! What a report! I am running out of superlatives!

Yep. I know. :eek:

Edit: Some more praise is required :)

Thank you, Neady, for being such an inspiration - and taking the effort to document it all. Not only are your training updates epic and legendary, the above race reports are fabulous. The dedication to the race, the highlights, but also how you deal with the low points are inspiring - and I personally benefit from reading it and remembering it during my own meagre adventures (and their many low moments). On top of that, your positive attitude is infectious and you manage to find words of encouragement and praise for all those around you! It's awesome!

Lastly, thanks for providing great entertainment on the day itself - probably without realizing it! A colleague of mine is from Donegal and had told me about this mythical race last year, as he knows some of the other competitors. We were looking forward to a day on the tracker. All day, many of us kept checking "your dot" and during the final marathon, it became a full-time job! We were roaring you on from the comfort of our laptops :) Towards the end, I resorted to checking out where you were running using Google Streetview, but I did realize you wouldn't know you were that close to number 3. Oh well - you have left something to be coming back for! Also a word of praise for Kieran - what's that saying, "behind every great woman .. "? :) Looking forward to see you in CNM!

Thanks Nop :D Seriously, no more praise was required :D I'm really looking forward to a good catch up and some craic in Connemara :)
    Pmaldini wrote: »
    Fantastic report Neady, a great read and really gives a great insight into the determination required and the demons involved in getting through an endurance event of that magnitude, i hope to do it one day, i will be sure to bend your ear (if willing) for advice, hope the recovery is going well and best of luck in the connemarathon.

Thank you Pmaldini :) I hope you take it on some day, it's an unbelievable event that I would highly recommend. If you do, please do ask away. If I can bestow even a fraction of the information and advice that I was given from past participants to you, then I'd feel I'd done justice to all the help that I was given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Congrats Neady83, glad to see it went well. Id to miss attending this year unfortunately as our beloved doggie passed away last Friday :( Seems ye were blessed with the weather which also allowed you to see the amazing landscape. Id a friend filming it and the good weather both helped and hindered him - everyone was ahead of schedule so he struggled to get the crews around the course to get the footage they wanted but then the good weather made life a lot easier for them to get the shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Brilliant report to match your brilliant performance at the weekend Neady, really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Loved your report Neady! How you can remember all the detail is beyond me, but I am very glad you could as it makes for fascinating reading. Next time I'm feeling sorry for myself after 2 laps of the track I'll read your report again !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Tough as nails.

Well done

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I was savouring your report for when I had time to really enjoy it and read it properly, and boy was it worth the wait!

It's really hard to fathom what you have achieved, Neady and I'm really bowled over by it all. The dedication to the intricate practical preparation along with the stellar training is something you must be immensely proud of and you deserve a huge amount of kudos for. Anyone attempting to take on this challenge should follow this log as it sounds like they won't go far wrong with a similar approach and we can all learn so much from you for our respective racing challenges.
    No doubt at all that you could have taken 3rd place if you had known how close she was. It's very difficult in a long race like that to know your position at any given time so I'm not sure what you can do in future to get information about exactly where you're placed at any given time? If you had only known, it was yours for the taking. Looks like you'll have to go back next year now to get the podium:D Sounds like you'll be right up there for gold and silver with another year's experience under the belt.
    HUGE congratulations on a fantastic race, and absolutely awesome report.

I'm dying to know how recovery is going. How did you feel immediately after and the morning after and in the following days? Was the body completely battered? Were you able to work etc?

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    Congrats Neady83, glad to see it went well. Id to miss attending this year unfortunately as our beloved doggie passed away last Friday :( Seems ye were blessed with the weather which also allowed you to see the amazing landscape. Id a friend filming it and the good weather both helped and hindered him - everyone was ahead of schedule so he struggled to get the crews around the course to get the footage they wanted but then the good weather made life a lot easier for them to get the shots.

Awh, I'm so sorry to hear about you dog Bambaasta :( It's heart breaking when they leave us after years of being such loyal friends.

I don't think anybody could quite comprehend the weather - it was completely unexpected. The organisers seemed quite disappointed when they gave us the forecast at the race briefing the night before :D

You've just reminded me that I did a piece to camera at the bottom of Muckish, crikey. I hope that never sees the light of day - I hope I wasn't giving out about the hills on the bike too much :D
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Brilliant report to match your brilliant performance at the weekend Neady, really well done.

Thanks Jake, delighted with how it went but disappointed, in a weird way, that it's all over.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Loved your report Neady! How you can remember all the detail is beyond me, but I am very glad you could as it makes for fascinating reading. Next time I'm feeling sorry for myself after 2 laps of the track I'll read your report again !

Thanks so much BG :) I've replayed every second of it over in my head so many times that it's like a movie. I can recall every twist and turn on the roads :) plus I keep waking up at night thinking that I'm in transition so it's still very much all in there.

I'd take this race over a track event any day, that's hard core.
    Tough as nails.

Well done

TbL

Thanks TBL :)

I'm dying to know how recovery is going. How did you feel immediately after and the morning after and in the following days? Was the body completely battered? Were you able to work etc?

Thanks so much A, I really appreciate your kind words. I've always kind of related my training to yours as you have the same kind of dilemmas in terms of training volume, nutrition, gear and sleep deprivation.

I'm recovering really well. Immediately after the race, I felt ok - sat down and had some salty soup but I got queasy and deathly pale after it and wasn't sure if I was going to be sick but I came around after a toilet break. Started stiffening up and as soon as my runners came off my feet were throbbing but no pain as such.

Got to bed around 5am after the girls in my room came in but none of us slept - we were all too wired. I got up early and waded into the cold lake beside race head quarters. I was quite stiff but still able to go up and down the stairs.

One thing I've learned from these events is that even the smallest of details matter with recovery. I had an epsom salt bath Sunday evening & exfoliated my legs & arms to get the circulation going, I did the same on Monday evening and made sure to get lots of water and magnesium into me.

I got the physio to massage out the lactic acid in my legs on Tuesday for an hour and a half and I was without any stiffness from then on. I did 30 minute recovery jog yesterday morning (with compression socks) & a half hour of stretching after plus a gentle yoga class last night. I did a 40 minute recovery jog this morning and though the legs are heavy - they've pain and niggle free.

I worked on Monday as I knew I wouldn't sleep so I'd be bored at home :D I haven't had a proper nights sleep since - thinking about the race has kind of consumed me and I wake up thinking I'm in transition. Another few days and that should pass though :)

Any other tips on recovery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Neady83 wrote: »
    Thanks so much A, I really appreciate your kind words. I've always kind of related my training to yours as you have the same kind of dilemmas in terms of training volume, nutrition, gear and sleep deprivation.

I'm recovering really well. Immediately after the race, I felt ok - sat down and had some salty soup but I got queasy and deathly pale after it and wasn't sure if I was going to be sick but I came around after a toilet break. Started stiffening up and as soon as my runners came off my feet were throbbing but no pain as such.

Got to bed around 5am after the girls in my room came in but none of us slept - we were all too wired. I got up early and waded into the cold lake beside race head quarters. I was quite stiff but still able to go up and down the stairs.

One thing I've learned from these events is that even the smallest of details matter with recovery. I had an epsom salt bath Sunday evening & exfoliated my legs & arms to get the circulation going, I did the same on Monday evening and made sure to get lots of water and magnesium into me.

I got the physio to massage out the lactic acid in my legs on Tuesday for an hour and a half and I was without any stiffness from then on. I did 30 minute recovery jog yesterday morning (with compression socks) & a half hour of stretching after plus a gentle yoga class last night. I did a 40 minute recovery jog this morning and though the legs are heavy - they've pain and niggle free.

I worked on Monday as I knew I wouldn't sleep so I'd be bored at home :D I haven't had a proper nights sleep since - thinking about the race has kind of consumed me and I wake up thinking I'm in transition. Another few days and that should pass though :)

Any other tips on recovery?

Yes, I agree, there are loads of similar challenges!!! I had a very similar issue with knowing my placing too in the 24 hour and might have made some places up if I had known exactly what was left to fight for in the final few hours.

It really sounds like you have the recovery nailed - that's just amazing!!! I thought you wouldn't be able to walk, let alone run for many days:eek: That shows just how fit and well prepared and trained you were for your race. I'm really no good to you with advice here, as I was laid up in bed, unable to move for a full 24 hours after Belfast! So I am learning from you, big time!!!

That's a bit mad that you wake up thinking you're in transition:D I hope it passes soon, but I really get you on the wired thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

very nicely said .
    well done neady
    snailsong wrote: »
    Neady, did anyone mention that you're fantastic? Nothing can get on top of you.

A few things strike me reading that report,
    1. Apart from the training, your race preparation was meticulous. You'd planned every step down to pace, nutrition, rest in transition etc and that included A and B plans. You seemed to have a map of every incline on the 250km course in your head and were able to recall it even after a full day racing. Awesome. This is crucially important and an area in which lesser racers, such as myself, fall down in.
    2. You're an endurance monster. The further you go the better you get. I learned this when I ran with last summer but you really demonstrated it again.
    3. Your positivity is endless. Who sets out for an uphill marathon in the dark, alone, after 15 hours on the go with a smile on their face? Only you.
    Put it all together and that's an unstoppable force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Thank you HSR :) for the encouragement and for tracking. I hope you enjoyed the dot watching as much as I enjoyed moving the dot :)

I did indeed. Just finished your reports now as they're a bit epic and I was saving it till I had time to read through. Amazing performance, you must/should be delighted with yourself. It's inspiring (but that should not be taken to mean it's on my goal list :rolleyes:). Hope you've had a good rest by now and have got some food into you, some nice warm dinners rather than energy bars. Connemarathon will be a breeze with that endurance base!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well, Neady, I didn't want to open your log until I was sure i had enough time to read the report. And it didn't disappoint. Not much to add to the comments above, completely in awe of your achievement and your attitude all the way too. I love the little moments that you capture so well along the way, sounds like you were mentally sharp the whole time (apart from that fall off the bike :)).

And you're a gas woman, you just come into your own on the mountains don't you? I was reading it going, oh no, she has to climb Muckish after that cycle, then you bounced up the mountain and even better back down it, in your element. And you flew through the marathon... amazing.

I will admit I'm very proud of the people of Donegal too (then again, there's not much to be looking at up there :)).

Delighted for you, brilliant performance.

I thought you wouldn't be able to walk, let alone run for many days:eek: That shows just how fit and well prepared and trained you were for your race. I'm really no good to you with advice here, as I was laid up in bed, unable to move for a full 24 hours after Belfast! So I am learning from you, big time!!!

Between the bike and kayak, I was sitting on my ass for over 10 hours of that 20 :) That's probably why I was able to move after :) Seriously though, you'll find that you recover better, the more you do these long races. You're recovery from your long runs is phenomenal :)

peter kern wrote: »
    very nicely said .
    well done neady

Thanks Peter, SnailSong has a way with words doesn't he :)
    I did indeed. Just finished your reports now as they're a bit epic and I was saving it till I had time to read through. Amazing performance, you must/should be delighted with yourself. It's inspiring (but that should not be taken to mean it's on my goal list :rolleyes:). Hope you've had a good rest by now and have got some food into you, some nice warm dinners rather than energy bars. Connemarathon will be a breeze with that endurance base!

Oh HSR, I just know that it's gone on your bucket list :) Thank you very much and for the support on here during the race :)
    annapr wrote: »
    Well, Neady, I didn't want to open your log until I was sure i had enough time to read the report. And it didn't disappoint. Not much to add to the comments above, completely in awe of your achievement and your attitude all the way too. I love the little moments that you capture so well along the way, sounds like you were mentally sharp the whole time (apart from that fall off the bike :)).

And you're a gas woman, you just come into your own on the mountains don't you? I was reading it going, oh no, she has to climb Muckish after that cycle, then you bounced up the mountain and even better back down it, in your element. And you flew through the marathon... amazing.

I will admit I'm very proud of the people of Donegal too (then again, there's not much to be looking at up there :)).

Delighted for you, brilliant performance.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it Anna :) and I hope you tell everyone from Donegal just how amazing they are :)

Mind you, I was at a wedding on Thursday and sitting at a table with four Donegal people, I was giving out yards about the lack of bushes, trees, ditches and stone walls to provide any kind of shelter up there :D They quite enjoyed it I think :)

Recovery Week 1

Monday March 13th
    I had arranged to do an interview with a family in Donegal town for work so was lucky enough to be able to stay in Donegal on Sunday night. Had an Epsom salt bath in the hotel on Sunday night, pure bliss.

Drove home to Galway after work on Monday and set about sorting and washing all the gear. Had another Epsom salt bath and exfoliated my legs. Most of the stiffness was gone at this point with only a bunch of bruises on my right leg from where I fell off the bike.

Tuesday March 14th 90 minutes massage
    I got two physio/massages before the race, one five days before the race and another 14 days out from the race. I had made the appointment for this recovery one when I was in last week.

The physio did a great job of rubbing out the remaining lactic acid and he did a good 90 minute session for the price of 60 minutes, top man.

Wednesday March 15th
    AM 3.25miles @ 10:07/mi (33minutes)
    It’s hard to break a habit. I haven’t slept well since the race – the adrenaline is still there and I keep waking up thinking that I’m in transition :D. I was awake with the birds this morning and figured I’d test out the legs. Did a handy run up and down by the river and hit the gym after for 10 minutes of stretching.

10mins S&C

PM 90 minutes Yoga
    Sure a bit of yoga never hurt anyone.
    Breathing exercises for 30 minutes
    Lots of sun salutations and glute stretches
    30 mins of relaxation zzzzzzzz

Thursday March 26th
    AM 4.5miles @ 9:25/mi (43mins)
    No work today as we had a wedding in Clare so I got out for a few miles before the hairdresser took to attacking my head with a bazillion pins. I really need to cut my hair!!!

Nice easy run along by the prom. There was much dancing done at the wedding, that must count towards recovery

Friday March 17th
    AM 4.6miles @ 9:38/mi (45mins)
    We stayed in the Falls hotel in Ennistimon. There’s a footpath that links Ennistimon to Lahinch and I’ve always wanted to run that stretch but I’m not in that part of the country much so I was up and out before breakfast on Friday. I had the sleepy village of Ennistimon and the road to myself. The wind when I was heading West though!!!!! Really enjoyed the gentle hand of god on my back on my way back to the hotel though Well worth getting up for.

2.4miles @ 11:02/mi (26mins
    Back to Galway and nothing would do Kieran but we go for a run in the pissing rain. He’s put up with my training for months so I obliged – twas miserable but it kept him happy so that made me happy .

Saturday March 18th 3.1mile @ 8:32/mi (27mins)
    I burst my parkrun cherry We headed to Knocknacarra parkrun. It was raining heavily again. I didn’t even warm up so I used the first km as my warm up. Spent the entire run avoiding and jumping over puddles. Will definitely be back.

Lunch 70mins Wattbike (37km)
    20mins WU
    5x (5mins L10M6 off 2mins recovery)
    15mins recovery
    My friend Annette and I had arranged to go for a cycle to spin out the legs but we we’re soft so headed to the gym for a session on the wattbike instead of going out in the lashing rain. It was Annettes first time doing a session on the bike indoors so I was calling it out. Really enjoyed it – was nice to build up a good sweat and the legs felt fresh enough.

20mins S&C
    We finished it off with a good stretch and foam roll.

Sunday March 19th 6.3miles @ 8:55/mi
    This was supposed to be a day of rest and it was ……. until 3pm when the sun was shining and I couldn’t resist going out. I was out in the rain for the last three days so had to take advantage. Enjoyed this run along the prom while people watching. My legs were getting fatigued on mile 6 though so I guess that’s where I’m at for now. Will build gradually over the next week.

Met up with Rachel, Lonan, Lonans sister Lisa and Kieran for some dinner and a good ol natter about the race. Lisa and Kieran were spectators so they were able to give us their perspectives.

Totals for the week:
    4 hrs running (24miles)
    1.25hrs Wattbike (37km)
    2 hours S&C

Recovery is going well. My sleep is starting to get better and my legs are returning to normal. Still some tiredness in the quads after the beating they took on the hills but all in all, no niggles or injuries so happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Only had a chance to read the race report, well written and well raced. It makes an Ironman sound like a walk in the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I normally stay clear of anything that has a Kayak section in the race but I had made a mental note a while back to check in on this when it was over to read the report. It only took me a week to remember it :o

Glad I read it, well done again!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

Just getting round to reading your report now. All the work and your preparation paid off, well done. Great to see the recovery going well, cant believe you were running the next week. I was in bits for a week after Dingle last year.
    Enjoy training for Connemara. will be a piece of cake to you.

Only had a chance to read the race report, well written and well raced. It makes an Ironman sound like a walk in the park.

Thanks Jackyback. Glad you enjoyed reading it :) I'd imagine an ironman is every bit as tough.
    catweazle wrote: »
    I normally stay clear of anything that has a Kayak section in the race but I had made a mental note a while back to check in on this when it was over to read the report. It only took me a week to remember it :o

Glad I read it, well done again!

Thank you CW. Delighted that the kayaking didn't put you off :)
    novarapid wrote: »
    Just getting round to reading your report now. All the work and your preparation paid off, well done. Great to see the recovery going well, cant believe you were running the next week. I was in bits for a week after Dingle last year.
    Enjoy training for Connemara. will be a piece of cake to you.

Cheers Novrapid, I appreciate that. I find the more of these events I do, the better I'm getting at recovery. I'd still be buckled after a marathon if I didn't use a run/walk strategy though :)

Monday March 20th
    AM 15mins Erg
    The computer wasn’t working so I’ve no stats but it was a nice warmer upper. Rachel joined me as she stayed with us last night.

30mins S&C
    Much foam rolling of the quads as they seem to be holding on to some tightness from last week.

PM 4.12miles @ 9:01 (37mins)
    Met up with Lonan and Rachel after work for a handy few miles around the pitches. Chats, hailstones and recovery, ya can’t beat it.

Tuesday March 21st
    AM Circuits: 7 stations @ 3x90secs
    I had told Dave, the trainer that I’d be in this morning and to be fair to him – he made the class a 90% upper body and core work out.
    1. Sliders: mountain climbers & pike
    2. Exercise ball: push-ups & toe taps
    3. Medicine ball & band around ankles – pop the legs out and in
    4. Kettlebell press (2x8kg) & rows
    5. Band: side walk in squat position with weights
    6. Walking lunges with weight – this didn’t go down well with my quads so I just walked with the weight
    7. Band around ankles and hop scotch with it

PM Yoga (90minutes)
    15 minutes of breathing exercises
    8 – 10 sun salutations holding some poses for 60secs each
    Twists and glute stretches
    15 minutes of relaxation

Wednesday March 22nd
    A day of rest. Woke up to go for a run but I was coughing a bit and my chest felt tight so I left it. This weather is ridiculous – sweating in shorts and a t-shirt on Sunday and frozen to the bone from a hailstone shower on Monday evening. No wonder half the country is sick.

Thursday March 23rd
    AM Circuits: 7 stations @ 4x90secs
    1. Plank: with legs raises & push-up and drops
    2. Squat pulse & swimmers row
    3. Kettlebell Jumps & swings (12kg)
    4. Bosu ball: Burpees with a push-up
    5. Sliders: mountain climbers & planks
    6. Backward lunges & a jump (did this without weights as quads still burning)
    7. Ropes: 25 smacks & some shuffling around cones

PM 33km on the roadie with 5 hill repeats (23.8kph & 411m of elevation)
    Arranged for my friend Annette to meet me after work and head out the road to Moycullen. It was a really pretty sunny afternoon. Hill repeats give us a chance to catch up and we both get a good work out. We chat on the warm up on the way out and we bomb up and down the hill at our own pace and have more chats on the spin home but usually the spin home turns into a friendly race :D

I don’t know the gradient of the hill in Moycullen but all the cool kids go there with their fancy bikes to do repeats so it can’t be too shabby. There were a few lads there this evening so we’d plenty of obstacles to be annoying the locals with.

I managed 5 repeats before Annette wanted to call it a day. I stayed in the saddle for the lot and just spun the legs out. Felt nice and strong – this hill doesn’t seem half as intimidating after 170km of hills in Donegal :D Great session and one that we’re going to make a weekly special while the evenings are long and the temperatures are up. My quads were a bit stiff when I got home so still a bit of recovery to go.

Friday March 24th
    AM 8miles @ 9:06/mi (73mins)
    It was too nice this morning to be in the gym so I hit he pitches in Dangan before meandering around the city. Quite an enjoyable wake me upper of a run.

Lunch 4miles @ 9:20/mi (37mins)
    A lunch time easy run by the river – too sunny not to go outside.

Saturday March 25th Bike/Run brick: 40km roadie @ 24kph & 10km road race @ 8:20/mi
    10km splits: 8:15, 8:28, 8:32, 8:31, 8:12, 8:07 (1:24)

I’d signed up for the Eamon Moloney 10km as part of the Clare Run series and wasn’t planning on racing it as my legs weren’t recovered enough so I figured with the gorgeous weather I would take the scenic route to Ennis on the bike.

I took every bone rattling road that I could in an effort to enjoy some peace and quiet from cars. It was glorious to be out peddling through the sleepy villages of West Clare. I came upon a man having fierce bother getting three boisterous donkeys to go where he wanted them to go. He asked me to help so I ushered them up the road and he turned them into their field. Only in Ireland :) Got to Ennis, popped the bike in the back of my brothers car, changed my clothes and did a couple of km to loosen out the legs.

Headed out on the run with the intention of keeping it under HM pace (8:22/mi) and struggled a bit in the first 3km but eventually found my rhythm and I was sucking diesel. Took a 500ml bottle of water at 5km and brought it with me as I was parched. Lots of people were struggling with the heat so I offered my water but there were no takers. Came upon a West Clare Tri guy, who was saving himself for a duathlon tomorrow, and we chatted a bit – he’d heard about The RACE and was asking me all about it. Another fantastic race in the series and so much fun to be able to run in the sun and catch up with friends afterwards.

Sunday March 26th 63km on the roadie @ 25kph (322m)
    This should have been an 18 mile run to prep for Connemara BUT it was sunny and my brother was going cycling and I’ve a new bike so I couldn’t resist. No time for a long one as I needed to be home to do breakfast for Mum for Mothering Sunday.

We took the main road to Kilkee and flew it, covering the first 30km in 1 hour. We turned towards Doonbeg in Kilkee and were hit by a cutting breeze along with that rough climb so the pace dropped considerably. We took a spin in around Donald Trumps hotel in Doonbeg and spied all the golfers teeing off. We had to take another detour near Cree to avoid a house that has two vicious dogs that have nearly taken each of us out. Again bone rattling roads with some nice climbs.

Happy enough with where I am on the bike, the spin to Kilkee really tested the legs. May need to do some more running this week if I've any hope of getting around Connemara.

Totals for the week:
    3.25 hours running (22.5miles)
    5.5hours Cycling (135km)
    2 hours S&C
    2 hours Cycling
    0.25 hours Erg

Not quite the recovery week I had planned but what’s that they say about making hay when the sun shines?? There will be many days when I’ll be rained out of it so I’m enjoying the sun while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats on the RACE. Haven't had a chance to read the reports but have them book marked.

Which hill in Moycullen are you doing? The one in the village or the one beyond the village? The one past Moycullen that comes back up to the top of the one in the middle is much better for repeats IMO.

Hope that makes sense :)

pgibbo wrote: »
    Congrats on the RACE. Haven't had a chance to read the reports but have them book marked.

Which hill in Moycullen are you doing? The one in the village or the one beyond the village? The one past Moycullen that comes back up to the top of the one in the middle is much better for repeats IMO.

Hope that makes sense :)

Cheers Gibbo. We've been doing the one in the village. We did the one beyond once or twice but the road was rough and we met lots of cars so haven't been incentivised to go back. Thanks for the advice though, I'll see if I can coax Annette to do that one with me this week.

Monday March 27th
    AM 7miles @ 9:06/mi (64mins)
    Oh how lovely this country is when the sun shines ☺ Took in the pitches in Dangan and a bit of a city run to do some people watching.

Lunch 6.1miles @ 9:10/mi (56mins)
    It’s still sunny so I was heading out regardless.

PM 5miles @ 9:25 (47mins)
    Had an hour to kill between work and a work dinner so figured I’d try and up the mileage for the day and the guilt of not doing the prescribed 18mile LSR over the weekend was catching up with me. It’s not technically a LSR but it’s 18 miles for the day nonetheless.

Only had a small lunch so was running out of juice after 2 miles. Struggled to get through the last 3.

Tuesday March 28th
    1. Bear crawls & burpees
    2. Exercise ball: toe taps
    3. Band around ankles & thigh – side walk & squats
    4. Skipping & punches (2x2kg)
    6. Flexibility: Front bend with a 12kg weight off a box
    7. Core: Push-up & drop
    I hadn’t noticed anything wrong with my right wrist until I started the bear crawl. There’s some pain in it when all my weight falls on it in a certain way. Was able to muddle through by making a fist with my hand instead.

Lunch 3.2miles recovery @ 9:47/mi (31mins)
    It was a nice sunny day so I figured 3 recovery miles would do no harm.

PM Yoga (90minutes)
    15 minutes of breathing exercises – one nostril exercises
    8 – 10 sun salutations holding some poses for 60secs each
    Single leg balancing poses
    15 minutes of relaxation
    I used to find the yoga a bit boring but I really enjoy the gentleness of it now and I can feel the benefits. It finishes at 10pm so I roll in home after the relaxation and have the best nights sleep. It compliments Tuesday morning circuit session very well.

Wednesday March 29th
    AM 60minutes Wattbike (30km)
    Took it relatively easy on the bike as I think I’m still a bit tired after Mondays mileage. Still sweated buckets – the gym is like a sauna these mornings.

15mins of S&C
    Heel drops, glute bridges and lots of foam rolling.

Thursday March 30th
    AM Circuits: 7 stations @ 4x100secs
    1. Box: jump & squat & bear crawls
    2. Backward lunges & clean & jerk (2x12kg kettlebells)
    3. Plank: Holding for 2x10sec exhalations & hip taps
    4. Clean & jerk/Backward lunge & jump
    5. Ropes: 25 smacks & 8 push-ups
    6. Hip thrusters off a bench with 15kg
    7. Medicine Ball: 10kg slams & dynamic lunges
    I don’t know whether it was the heat in the room, the circuits or a combination of both but there was sweat coming out of my knees after the second station and I was wiped by the end. Had to have a second shower to try and stop the sweating. Savage session.

PM 23km on the roadie with 1xhill (25.5kph & 160m of elevation)
    Annette cried off because it was wet but I had all my gear and when I finished work it was dry so I headed for Moycullen on my own. I got passed by a ninja cyclist on my way to Moycullen, he was dressed head to toe in black Castelli gear & was bombing it. My plan was to alternate between the hill in Moycullen and the hill at the far side – got up the hill in Moycullen and the heavens opened, not just a shower but a real downpour – my shoes were full of water by the time I got to the bottom of the hill. I’m a wimp so I decided to head for home as there was going to be no enjoyment in this at all.

Got passed by ninja cyclist on the way into town and saw him coming against me one more time – he must have been doing sprints on the hard shoulder from Moycullen to town. Nothing like a ninja passing you to remind you of how slow you’re going :D

Friday March 31st
    AM 6.1miles @ 9:22/mi (57mins)
    I had Rachel for company around the pitches this morning. I felt sluggish tough and a bit stiff all over from circuits yesterday. An enjoyable and chatty run in the sun before work.

Lunch 4miles @ 9:20/mi (37mins)
    A lunch time easy run by the river – too sunny not to go outside.

Saturday April 1st 18mile LSR: 8miles @ 9:06/mi & 10mile (Race) @ 8:44/mi (2hrs40)
    The Pakie Ryan 10mile/10km road race has been a staple in my calendar since it started and as this was to be it’s last year, I figured it’d be a good way to get my LSR done with some company.

John from Team ARSE joined me for the first 8 miles and we did a nice hilly out and back while chatting all the way and making plans for the year to come. We timed it well, being back just in time to put our race numbers on and stop for a quick bathroom break.

I ran the 10mile race on my own but enjoyed a few chats with people along the way. My plan was to race it at a comfortable pace while being able to chat and that’s what I did. It’s quite a hilly route so good training for Connemara. I kind of forgot about a nutritional strategy so I wasn’t eating at specific points but I had about 6 powerbar jellies at different stages along the way. I ran the 10 miles too quick for a LSR but it felt comfortable so hopefully it will stand to me.

Sunday April 2nd 7.2miles Recovery @ 10:20/mi (75mins)
    Did 2 of these with Kieran around the track in Westside and then I headed over Circular road and by the river and canal for the rest. Spied a black swan at the Claddagh, an interesting addition to the family down there.

Totals for the week:
    8.25 hours running (53miles)
    1 hour Cycling (23km)
    1 hour Wattbike (30km)
    2 hours Circuits
    1.75 hours S&C

Happy with where I am with three weeks to go to Connemara – I needed that 18mile LSR on Saturday to give me some confidence – this is most definitely not the way to prepare for a marathon :D. Next weekends last LSR will be a mountain trot of sorts and I’m really looking forward to it.

Monday April 3rd
    AM 20 minutes Wattbike (10km)
    Easy spinning to warm the legs up for a bit of stretching.

30 minutes S&C
    Calf muscles, quads, hamstrings, glutes & foam rolled the lot.

Went to the doc to get my bloods taken to make sure everything is in check for the summer as it's usually around this time of year that my iron levels slump though I should be good this year as I've been munching on lots of spinach and eating red meat a few times a week.

I mentioned to her the nasal drip that the dentist had pointed out and my constant swallowing as well as the fact that I have a runny nose when its 20 degrees. I've been taking antihistamines on the dentists recommendation for the last 6 weeks but they're not having any effect. On some of my lunch and evening time runs, I've had a dodgy tummy and she thinks this may be linked to the nasal drip dropping down into my tummy as it doesn't happen on my morning runs as I haven't started producing mucus yet. She diagnosed Rhinitis and has prescribed a nasal spray with an antihistamine and a steroid so it will be interesting to see if it improves the situation. You learn something new every day.

Tuesday April 4th
    1. Bear crawls & burpees
    2. Exercise ball: toe taps
    3. Band around ankles & thigh – side walk & squats
    4. Skipping & punches (2x2kg)
    6. Flexibility: Front bend with a 12kg weight off a box
    7. Core: Push-up & drop
    My wrist seems to have sorted itself out. This was very much a class about stretching and strengthening muscles as compliments the running nicely.

Lunch 5.4miles @ 9:22/mi (50mins)
    Looked at the Boards marathon training plan and it said 5 miles easy. Feel very smug that I’m finally following a plan. About time says you with less than three weeks to go to the marathon.

Wednesday April 5th
    AM 5.7 miles easy @ 9:16/mi
    Stayed in Limerick last night as I had to travel to Waterford today for work so got this done around UL this AM. Unfortunately not back in time for Yoga this evening

Thursday April 6th
    AM Circuits: 7 stations @ 4x100secs
    1. Ball slams, crawls and backward lunges
    2. Side-walk & squats
    3. Plank: 5x1kg weights. Move them from one side to the other
    4. Clean & jerk/Backward lunge & jump
    5. More lunges
    6. Chin ups off a sitting position
    7. Medicine Ball: 10kg slams & dynamic lunges
    This didn't feel too bad but there was much too much leg work for someone who is aiming to do some mountain running at the weekend. The legs were feeling it as I was going down the stairs and I had a feeling that I'd be cursing the training while out on the hills on Saturday.

Lunch 5 miles recovery @ 9:26/mi (47mins)
    Nice lunch time run in the run by the river. Legs heavy, s**te. Had an Epsom salt bath before bed in an effort to curb the onset of DOMS.

Friday April 7th
    AM 10mins Wattbike warm up & 25mins S&C
    Legs stiff so foam rolled life out of the quads.

Saturday April 8th MaamTurks Challenge: 27ish km with 2,528m elevation (7hrs53mins)
    This is a staple in my adventuring calendar and though it's only two weeks out from the Connemarathon, I've always had a Grà for this mountain challenge, the organisers and the participants so I went for it. John, from team ARSE and top class navigator, said that he was doing it so I asked if I could tag along and if he wouldn't mind me slowing him down. The scene was set and we headed from Galway city on Saturday morning in the early hours.

It's a challenge hike, not a race, but there's a wee bit of friendly competition from some at the pointy end. You can start any time from 5am until 7am and check in at various checkpoints along the route. John and I arrived at the foot of Corcog around 5:30am and were blown away by the string of lights meandering up the mountain. I wish I had a camera that could capture it, it was truly spectacular to watch.

The weather had been good all week and the forecast was for good weather so I settled on trail runners for the day. We were off by 5:45 and John was blazing a trail with me trying my damdest to keep up to him. After only 5 minutes, the sweat was rolling off me as we passed lots of groups on the way up but there wasn't much time to chat. I was wondering already how in the name of god I was going to keep going at this pace all day. My legs were on fire but I thought back to the last time I was heading up Corcog with Snailsong and how terrible I felt then. This was nothing like that, it was just sheer hard work. I don't know why but I was wondering how many calories I must be burning and thought of all the lovely food that I'd eat when I was done :D

It was quite foggy and still relatively dark when we got our card stamped at the first checkpoint. Johns navigation was spectacular as I was running after him and he was walking while reading the map and taking a bearing.

For the whole day, I just ran behind John, trying to keep up to him. A stupid pointy stone stobbed the arch on my left foot about a third of the way around which was causing some strain across my foot for the rest of the day. This slowed me down a wee bit as I was being more picky with my footing as we crossed km after km of pointy rocks just waiting to inflict more pain on my foot.

The descents on the grass were great as we were getting some serious momentum going and the time was flying. I was really thirsty for the first half of the challenge and I was very quickly milling through my 1.5ltrs of water that I had intended to spread over the whole day. Thankfully the thirst settled down when we were 2/3s of the way through.

The last third of this challenge is the ball breaker. There are two tough ascents, one at MaamTurk Mor and the other at the aptly named the Col of Despondency. The Col is the last climb of the day and it had three false peaks. I was grappling with the pain in my left foot, a blister that had developed under the big toe of my left foot and a bit of a niggle in my right Achilles for the last three hours or so but still, all I could concentrate on was trying to keep up to John. I had serious burning in my quads heading up the Col and wondered why in the hell we get such pleasure from putting ourselves through such tough mental and physical challenges - the mind boggles.

The last descent into Leenane is a long steep descent but thankfully the hill was dry so we could take a direct route and still have some grip. Finally we reached Leenane hotel and met up with the rest of our friends. I was the first lady home, there are no prizes as it's not a race and placings are not acknowledged but I've been after first lady on the Turks for quite some time so it's satisfying to finally have the box ticked.

I owe John a great deal of thanks for hauling my ass around for the day. He has the patience of a saint and he's some mover on the hills. He'd have been much much faster without me dragging my heals. I gave it everything out there today but I felt that I've been stronger on the hills. Maybe I've too much in the legs or maybe I haven't been on the mountains enough but there's definitely room for improvement.

I may have left my Connemarathon out there on the hills of Connemara but I'm dam glad that I did (though I won't be saying that in two weeks time). There's something special about tip toeing over mountains and bouncing down hills that makes your heart skip a beat - not to mention the views of wild and rugged Connemara on a stunning day.

Sunday April 9th 10miles Recovery @ 10:12/mi (1hr42mins)
    AKA as the 4th race of the Clare Run Series: The Sonny Murphy 10 mile in Kilnaboy

In an effort to do some damage limitation, I went to Salthill after coming back from Leenane Saturday afternoon and waded into the cold water for 10 minutes of cold water therapy. Still though, heading for Kilnaboy on Sunday morning, I had no idea if when I put on my runners, my Achilles would play ball, the strain on my left foot would cause me pain or the stiffness in my quads would let me run a mile but I said I'd give it a go and turn back if needed. I love this race but it was unfortunate that it fell the day after the Turks.

I decided that pacing duty would be a good way to get around so I lined up with Kieran and we set of in the hope of breaking 1:45 and that we did. The legs were sore, particularly on the descents but it was a great day for it. Kieran was delighted with himself. 10 stiff recovery miles followed by an Epsom salt bath. Stairs will not be my friend this week.

Totals for the week:
    11.75 hours running (42.8miles)
    1 hour S&C
    0.5 hours Wattbike
    2 hours Circuits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

5.4miles @ 9:22/mi (50mins)
    Looked at the Boards marathon training plan and it said 5 miles easy. Feel very smug that I'm finally following a plan. About time says you with less than three weeks to go to the marathon.

Excellent! :cool:
    MaamTurks Challenge: 27ish km with 2,528m elevation (7hrs53mins)

Eehm - interesting plan, that! :rolleyes:

Fab report (again) Neady - and no doubt you have plenty of Connemarathon left in those legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Massive congrats on being first lady in the Maamturk challenge. Yet another great achievement. Ordinarily, I'd say this is not the way to train 3 weeks before a marathon but you're not ordinary athlete so I expect you'll storm that too.

BTW, what's this 'miserable climbing with snailsong but loved it with John' business? :D.

Advertisement