Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New Adventure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

snailsong wrote: »
    Massive congrats on being first lady in the Maamturk challenge. Yet another great achievement. Ordinarily, I'd say this is not the way to train 3 weeks before a marathon but you're not ordinary athlete so I expect you'll storm that too.

Well ain't that the truth! Absolutely delighted for you on your first lady, especially as it was a goal for a while. Very well deserved :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    It's a challenge hike, not a race,
    :D really? Maybe a Rallenge?
    I don't know why but I was wondering how many calories I must be burning and thought of all the lovely food that I'd eat when I was done :D
    ha ha, I do this every time I move in any way shape or form :p It's all about the food!
    I was grappling with the pain in my left foot, a blister that had developed under the big toe of my left foot and a bit of a niggle in my right Achilles for the last three hours or so but still, all I could concentrate on was trying to keep up to John. I had serious burning in my quads heading up the Col and wondered why in the hell we get such pleasure from putting ourselves through such tough mental and physical challenges - the mind boggles.

This is the extraordinaryious (new word) snailsong is referring to, the rest of us would have just given up. I love your determination through any and all circumstances thrown at you. It's inspiring.
    I may have left my Connemarathon out there on the hills of Connemara but I'm dam glad that I did (though I won't be saying that in two weeks time).
    I doubt that but in case of emergency nope will give you a piggy back :D
    I decided that pacing duty would be a good way to get around so I lined up with Kieran and we set of in the hope of breaking 1:45 and that we did.
    Yay! Go Kieran! [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck for the weekend Neady, a simple oul marathon for an immortal like you...not a bother to you I am sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good luck, Neady, looking forward to seeing how you'll do. Enjoy it as I'm sure you will!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Good luck at the weekend. Any targets you'd like to.share with the group?

• Advertisement

Have a great time :) As Diego said, not a bother to you. Looking forward to the report already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Massive congrats on being first lady in the Maamturk challenge. Yet another great achievement. Ordinarily, I'd say this is not the way to train 3 weeks before a marathon but you're not ordinary athlete so I expect you'll storm that too.

BTW, what's this 'miserable climbing with snailsong but loved it with John' business? :D.

Thanks so much P :) ha ha I loved every bit of the WW with you except the mountain bit where I thought my game was up :D We'll have to go back again this year to right that section :)
    :D really? Maybe a Rallenge?

ha ha, I do this every time I move in any way shape or form :p It's all about the food!

This is the extraordinaryious (new word) snailsong is referring to, the rest of us would have just given up. I love your determination through any and all circumstances thrown at you. It's inspiring.

I doubt that but in case of emergency nope will give you a piggy back :D

Yay! Go Kieran!

Thank you AM :) A Rallenge, I like it :) We all secretly love putting ourselves through that pain threshold don't we? It's part of the addiction :)

I am 100% counting on Nop to carry me around - he doesn't know it yet but I'm bring a bungee cord to attach to his backpack :)

diego_b wrote: »
    Best of luck for the weekend Neady, a simple oul marathon for an immortal like you...not a bother to you I am sure!

Thank you Diego ......eh I'm not so sure about that. If it were on a trail and there was another 10 or 15 miles added onto it, I'd be feeling more confident :)
    Good luck, Neady, looking forward to seeing how you'll do. Enjoy it as I'm sure you will!

Thanks HSR. Indeed, my number one priority for this one is to go out and enjoy it :) I do love Connemara very much :)
    Good luck at the weekend. Any targets you'd like to.share with the group?

Thank you P for that gentle nudge. I'm going out with a similar strategy to Nop. I haven't trained specifically for this marathon and I haven't raced in quite a while so I really am not sure where I am with regard to road running fitness.

Add to that the fact that the Connemarathon is a bit of a beast and will be difficult to pace given the more difficult section is in the second half and I'm very cautious about what I want from this.

My stand alone marathon PB is 3:59:58 from Dublin in October 2015 so if I beat that I'll be more than happy. The main aim is to go out and enjoy the day. I entered this race to give me some motivation after the disaster I had last August but my priority shifted to the RACE in October so this hasn't been my main focus this year.

Perhaps I'm sand bagging a bit here but I honestly don't know how I will feel at the 20 mile marker. The plan is to go out with the 4 hour pacers and stick with them until the 20 mile mark. If I'm feeling strong I'll push on a bit and I'll still PB and if not, I'll do my best to hang onto them with all my mite.
    Have a great time :) As Diego said, not a bother to you. Looking forward to the report already!

Many thanks AM :) I'm very much looking forward to it.

Monday April 10th
    30 minutes S&C & an Epsom salt bath
    There’s no tow ways about it – quads and body are in bits after the Maamturks and the 10 mile.

Tuesday April 11th
    AM 3miles recovery @ 9:40/mi
    Had signed up for circuits – decided that I wasn’t able and resigned myself to the Boards marathon training plan for tapering. 3 miles of not being able to go at hardly any pace. Quads still quite stiff.

30 minutes S&C
    Very very stiff. God dam those mountains.

Wednesday April 12th
    AM 4.1 miles recovery @ 10:12/mi
    I did this with Kieran at lunch – nice handy pace. Legs are feeling more like my legs today.

PM 90 minutes of Yoga
    Breathing exercises for 30 minutes
    Lots of sun salutations followed by every kind of a handstand that you can imagine.
    30 mins of relaxation zzzzzzzz

Thursday April 13th
    AM Circuits: 7 stations @ 3x100secs
    Can’t recall the sequence but many lunges and lots of core work.

Friday April 14th
    8.1miles @ 9:40/mi (78 minutes)
    Last LSR before Connemara wohoooooooooo

Saturday April 15th 5.2miles @ 9:15/mi (48 minutes)
    I managed to sqeeze this in between getting rooms ready for some friends and the friends arriving for the weekend. Had really good food, nice wine and a very late night.

Sunday April 16th
    A day of Rest with more tasty tapas, good wine and another late night. I also ate my body weight in chocolate.

Totals for the week:
    3.25 hours running (20.5miles)
    2.5 hours S&C
    1 hour Circuits

Feeling rather fat and lazy after this week. I don’t like this tapering business at all. …. And why is it that when you have more time on your hands, you get less done and you become less organised or is that just me?

Monday April 17th
    5.2miles @ 9:5/mi (48 minutes)
    Managed to get up and out before all the gang woke. Think I was the only one up around the city on Monday morning. It was nice to have the place to myself.

Tuesday April 18th
    AM Circuits: 7 stations @ 3x100secs
    Uh ho, it didn’t look tough but all the lunges were making their presence felt on Tuesday evening.

PM Hair cut
    I dislike the hairdressers very much – that is why I don’t go very often and is partly the reason why I have ridiculously long hair. We had our usual discussion, yes yes yes ……. 10 months since my last hair cut, yes, it is thick, yes, it is long. Sure, cut 2 inches off. Done, WTF – she cut about 6 inches off. Anyway, I have a nice ponytail now and I’m hoping I’ll be more aero dynamic on the bike without my long plaits It better grow back.

Wednesday April 19th
    Yoga
    Could not haul my backside out of bed to do a run this morning so had to settle for yoga this evening. I am so tired this week. Yoga was tough – my core is stiff from circuits yesterday and the cobra pose was a bit of a problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Huge congratulations on that Maamturks performance Neady. Absolutely top class on difficult ground. Best of luck marathoning over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

So, while the rest of us would have been whining over our last LSR... you went and won the maamturks challenge in yours... :pac: Surely you'll be cycling out to Connemara for the marathon?? And home again over the mountains...

Seriously, best of luck at the weekend, no bother to you and I'd say you need to throw off those sandbags and go for it! (Easy for me to say of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done in Maamturk Neady and best to you this weekend in Connemara!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Have a great race Neady! Enjoy every minute and while you're at it drag that Flatlander fella to a PB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Have a super race tomorrow S and hope the weather gods are kind to you!
    I'd say you're going to really enjoy this one!
    Can't wait to hear all about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I have a huge amount of catching up to do here but quick flick over the last couple of pages says it all. Well done and give it socks Super Neady :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

[

PM Hair cut
    I dislike the hairdressers very much – that is why I don’t go very often and is partly the reason why I have ridiculously long hair. We had our usual discussion, yes yes yes ……. 10 months since my last hair cut, yes, it is thick, yes, it is long. Sure, cut 2 inches off. Done, WTF – she cut about 6 inches off. Anyway, I have a nice ponytail now and I’m hoping I’ll be more aero dynamic on the bike without my long plaits It better grow back.

:D I love this being part of your training.
    Over 18 months since my last one...I cut all the dead ends off myself twice at this stage :pac:

Best of luck in Connemara!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow Neady, have a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I'm sure you're in bed at this stage, but you might log on in the morning. Good luck in Connemara. Have a great race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Deffo more aero. Good luck and give it socks tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

How didn't it go?

• Advertisement

Steroo wrote: »
    How didn't it go?

ha ha I like it :) thanks Steroo.

Very tough day at the office - the Hell of the West lived up to its reputation. I was very lucky to have the great company of Nop98 for the first 21 miles, before cramp got him.

Just about managed to get a PB of about a minute - came in a minute or two under 4 hours.

Gave it everything, thought a sub-4 was gone as I shuffled up the Hell of the West but I managed to claw a bit back on the way to the end.

Never had pains in my calves like I did at the end and poor Nop98 had to buy me a cup of tea to stop me from throwing up. I was on the bus to Oughterard with a bag in case of emergency. I definitely gave it all I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

That was a typo!!!

Well done ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

That's a super time on that course!!! Good on ya. Knew you'd do well. Can't wait to hear all the details! Recover well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Congrats on the pb!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Ah excellent stuff, well done on the pb on a tough course!

Only you could pull a PB out of the bag on a marathon, in the Connemara hills, two weeks after the Mamturks Challenge!!!! Well done Neady #legend !!!

Now, race report please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done Neady, to pb on a course like Conn is very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Congrats on the PB, Neady!!! That's some going from you... after the Race and the Maamturks!!! Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Brilliant going once again, Neady. When the chips were down you came up with the goods as usual. And we're not surprised!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done again on your great run Neady! So impressive to be able to tough it out like you did. Thanks for the company on the run, and sorry you had to run the hardest part alone! :)

Advertisement