Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a New Adventure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Thanks everyone :)

DD I literally scraped in under the four hours at 3:59:58. Honestly I thought the sub-4 had slipped away, I was sure that I was a minute over. It was soooo HARD, I've never had to dig that deep - I wanted to walk from 13 miles on, I don't know what was wrong with me, I wasn't feeling the love for it today. My legs were on autopilot but god was I glad to see I snuck in under 4 hours :)

Dilbert, it was so nice to see you on the route. Em apologies for the weird look on my face, I didn't want to scream out thanks Dilbert and by the time Conor came to my mind, I'd passed you. Also I was hurting quite a lot.

I have to say, Dublin is amazing, the people are amazing. I was never short of jelly babies or water or gels and the support literally carried me that last two miles.

p.s. How in the bejasus do you Ironmen and women do that after a day of swimming and biking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Superb debut from you Neady!
    Massive congrats!!! Recover well and enjoy the rest:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Brilliant, Neady! never doubted that you would do it... did you make it to McGrattans? Sorry we didn't get to say hello!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Neady - what a brilliant result! I am so proud! You're a marathoner now!

From looking at your 10k splits, we must have ran practically together for hours, but I never spotted you, what a pity. I didn't manage to tough it out like you do, I had to stop and stretch, albeit briefly, in Clonskeagh - you must have passed me then.

Super well done again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Mighty stuff. Well done and well deserved :D

I wasn’t sure about taking on DCM until after the Beast and thought 4 hours was a pipe dream but some great guidance and encouragement from some great boardsies (you know who you are) prompted me to go for sub-4. My training went well, I felt good on all of my training runs and I was looking forward to enjoying the friendly marathon. I knew it was going to be tough but I had no idea how hard it would be.

I stayed in the Charleville Hotel on the North Circular Road on Sunday night and had brought my porridge oats, dried sultanas and almond milk mixed up and ready for breakie on Monday morning. I slept ok but woke every now and then to check the time as I was afraid that the alarm wouldn’t go off or that I’d sleep through it.

I got a taxi into O’ Connell St. to drop my bag with my laptop and a present for himself for putting up with marathon madness into a storage area (I didn’t want to leave my laptop in the baggage area). The taxi driver mentioned the marathon and when I told him I was running, he said that ‘he wouldn’t even do 26 miles on a push bike’ :D. Then he started complaining about the road closures and asking why it had to start so early as it was disrupting people who needed to get to work etc. etc. etc. In my mind I was shouting ‘do you not realise that today is about the 15,000+ marathon runners and hundreds of volunteers and NOT about the inconvenienced workers’. But I didn’t, I told him it was to avoid the hottest part of the day (it is I think?)

I dropped my change of clothes at the bag drop and by 8:30 was heading for the loo, the lady on the microphone said not to use the loos around the bag drop and that there was plenty of portaloos in the green area, so I obeyed her and headed for the green start. Big mistake, the queue was massive and I had to go so I waited and it was 9:05 when I bolted from the portaloo and jogged to the big long massive snake of people. It was impossible to get through people and I could see blue balloons up ahead (but couldn’t see the time on them because I’m blind) so figured that they’d be the 4 hour guys, don’t sweat it and reel them in later (I did read the book the night before and did read that I should be following the red balloons but I forgot in my panic).

I trotted off nice and easy, the first mile clocked in at 9:30 because of the congestion and the second was around 9:00. I caught the blue balloons around the three mile mark. I can only imagine the look on my face when I saw the 4:10 on them – I was hoping to run with Nop and the other 4 hour boardsies from the Novices thread - this wasn’t working out at all how I’d planned. Then I remembered that Anna should be around here somewhere and I could run with her but everyone’s names are on their front which isn’t at all convenient for other runners to identify people, sorry I didn’t see you Anna.

I was worried a little but I remembered back to the Kinvara half when I lost the pacers at the start and how I reeled them in over 7 or 8 miles so I figured I’d do the same here and I’d be fine. I know I should have just ran my own race but I really wanted the comfort of at least seeing those red balloons in the distance.

As we were running though the Phoenix park, the doubts crept in, I was finding the going tough (@ 9:05/mi) and it was only early days, I’d a small niggle in my left quad that I was hoping wouldn’t turn into more than a niggle. I was telling myself that I’d done too much this year, that I’d pushed my body too hard and now it was repaying me and I was convincing myself that I’d peaked in Athlone and that I should have picked a Spring marathon instead. Next thing I know I’m overtaking an extremely tall man shrouded in green loose fitting robes, I look down at his feet and he’s running barefoot. I look to the person next to me and say, holy sh*t, he’s got no shoes on. Time to suck it up Néady, you’ve got your cushy runners on so get the hell on with it.

At about the 6/7 mile mark I spotted the red balloons, hallelujah, way way in the distance but I had sight of them and that was the main thing. I kept my pace even and the miles flew by until mile 9 – 10 which dragged forever and was a suffer fest. I tried to soak up the atmosphere as much as I could, high fiving as many kids as I could and taking in all the other people running around me. The support along the route was absolutely amazing, there was hardly a fifty meter section without any supporters.

I was so glad to see the half way point and I checked my watch – about 1 minute under the two hours so not doing too bad though I was wondering how the hell I was going to run the same distance again at this pace. I won’t lie, I wanted to stop and walk after 13 miles, I was really starting to hurt but I had those dam red balloons in my sights. I eventually caught the last pacer – well I was a bit behind him but I hoped to stay on his coat tails and I did for about three miles but I just couldn’t move my legs fast enough and I could see them drift off and with them my 4 hour target. I talked to myself to keep with them but my legs wouldn’t listen and I resigned myself to letting the four hours go.

Around the 16 mile mark, Dilbert gave me a shout out, thank you Dilbert, it really did give me the pick me up I needed – it made me concentrate and snap out of my misery. I dug deep and found some pace in my legs again and though still a bit behind the balloons, I was determined to keep them in view. I figured that I started well behind them so I had some time to spare.

This spurt of energy kept me going until mile 22, dear god, I was having to dig deeper and deeper to keep it going. All I wanted was to stop and walk and I kept remembering the advice from the Novices thread to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Mile 22 took me 10:00 minutes and I was going as hard as I possibly could, all the while the f*icking balloons were getting further and further away from me, I could barely see them now. At the bottom of the hill on this mile, a fire truck was trying to get through the runners and out onto the road so I stopped and shouted at the other runners to let them through, I was only stopped for 5 seconds max but I thought that was it, game over. I grabbed a bag of jelly beans from a little child though and I was off again. A spectator at the bottom of this hill was shouting that it was only 70 meters long and to drive through it, honestly, those little words of wisdom were what got me up it.

I was emptying the tank but a few calculations in my head made me think that if I could finish stronger than this I might only be less than a minute over the 4. I was going at what I thought was 10km pace and looked at my watch, 9:22/mile, how could that be, it was hurting sooooooo much. I could hear a person on my right telling a fellow runner that even though they were going through a rough patch, they’d run through it, she said ‘you ran yourself into it, you’ll run yourself out of it’. Who ever that lady was, wasn’t directing it at me but it sure as hell had an impact on me.

The cheering of the crowds on the last three miles were all that got me through. Mile 24 came in at 8:53. I remember a fellow hiker telling me before that if you don’t leave it all out there on the course, you won’t be happy with yourself and I can honestly say I was leaving it all out there. I told myself that whatever was on the clock at the end, I was going to be dam proud of because I was pushing through everything from the physical to the mental pain.

My brothers were on mile 25 and seeing them there was what got me over the finish line. About 500 meters from the finish line, there was a girl receiving CPR on the road, it was honestly the most sobering sight of the day. I later heard that they used the defibrillator on her and she was stable in hospital, thank god. The image of that girl lying lifeless on the ground will stay with me for a long time.

For those last 6 or 7 miles, while I was hearing the crowd, I was completely and utterly focused on nothing but the road in front of me. I couldn’t look at the other runners around me and I couldn’t offer support to anyone. I don’t ever remember being so focused on anything in my life, all I wanted to do was cross that line.

My watch read 3:59:57 when I passed under the finishing arch but I was sure that I was a few seconds if not a minute over. As soon as I got my bag and my phone, I called himself and he told me it registered two seconds under the four hours, wohooooo – talk about by the skin of my teeth.

It was hard work, from beginning to end. It was much harder than any training run that I’ve done and not at all what I expected. I thought that I’d be comfortable until mile 20 and have something left in the tank to kick on but it was far from that. The support from the people of Dublin was unbelievable, the words of encouragement were amazing and while it was tough, it was enjoyable. I’m so glad I’ve a marathon under my belt and I really hope the next one won’t be quite as tough :)

Back in January I made this vision board thingy and put it on my desktop. It’s all done now wohooooooooo. Now to start working on next years one :)

Ososlo wrote: »
    Superb debut from you Neady!
    Massive congrats!!! Recover well and enjoy the rest:D

Thank you Ososlo :) My legs are basking in being in a horizontal position all day :)
    annapr wrote: »
    Brilliant, Neady! never doubted that you would do it... did you make it to McGrattans? Sorry we didn't get to say hello!

Thank you Anna and likewise, you did so well, delighted it went so well for you. I didn't make McGrattans in the end. I was a soggy smelly mess and a bit emotional at seeing my brothers and the car was parked about 2km away with a drive to Clare in front of us so I was dying to curl up in the back seat. The walk while painful did me the worked of good, I had loosened up a good bit by the time I got there and I was so glad not to have to get on a bus back to Galway :)

I'm so sorry I missed you and I missed up during the race too, I was hanging around the 4:10 pacers for a bit.
    nop98 wrote: »
    Neady - what a brilliant result! I am so proud! You're a marathoner now!

From looking at your 10k splits, we must have ran practically together for hours, but I never spotted you, what a pity. I didn't manage to tough it out like you do, I had to stop and stretch, albeit briefly, in Clonskeagh - you must have passed me then.

Super well done again!

Thanks Nop, my plan was to run with you and the other boardsies but you'll read in my race report that the start didn't quite go to plan so I was only hanging on the coat tails of the 4h pacers for a few miles. I did look around for your orange top but I didn't see you.

Well done to you too, you did amazingly well :) So proud of all of us :)
    Mighty stuff. Well done and well deserved :D

Thanks CM :) and thank you for all the advice during the year :) You and the other boardsies got me over that finish line :)

Great report, Neady... we were so close and yet so far :) I saw the barefoot guy just outside the park, so you were ahead of us by then, you must have zipped past me!!!

Fair play to you though for toughing it out! well done again :)

What a legend :)

Yes, I saw the barefoot guy too, about halfway up the PP. I wonder how he got on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

What a gusty performance. Wow girl, so proud as anticipated. That is tough going and you stuck with it. Good woman. NOW GO MIND YOURSELF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I think you are the shiniest spot in the tri forum at the moment - a rising star. :) Your sincere enthusiasm and love for everything you do is what it's all about - you've cracked the secret wide open. Well done you. And welcome to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Fantastic race and fabulous report! Well done, you! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I think you are the shiniest spot in the tri forum at the moment - a rising star. :) Your sincere enthusiasm and love for everything you do is what it's all about - you've cracked the secret wide open. Well done you. And welcome to the club.

Well said Dory. To be honest, between Neady, Oryx, CM and yourself there's some impressive band of hoochies on TDAR.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Well said Dory. To be honest, between Neady, Oryx, CM and yourself there's some impressive band of hoochies on TDAR.

Ooooo......4-hoochie team event, anyone??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on a fantastic debut Marathon Neady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Wow.
    You're bleedin' deadly :D

Great report, Neady... we were so close and yet so far :) I saw the barefoot guy just outside the park, so you were ahead of us by then, you must have zipped past me!!!

Fair play to you though for toughing it out! well done again

It would have been so great to have run with you for a bit - next year, we'll both have a good go at the sub-4 and do it together :)

Am I really talking about next year already?
    What a legend :)

Yes, I saw the barefoot guy too, about halfway up the PP. I wonder how he got on?

You're so kind, thank you again :)
    I saw him on the news Monday evening, he was over 60 years of age and was so thankful to the people of Dublin for the support.
    aquinn wrote: »
    What a gusty performance. Wow girl, so proud as anticipated. That is tough going and you stuck with it. Good woman. NOW GO MIND YOURSELF.

Thanks so much A :) I really appreciate it, you're words of wisdom and encouragement kept me going. I fully intend to take it very easy for the month of November, I owe this body a break

DD, I started to cry reading this, thank you so so much, it really means a lot coming from you :)
    Fantastic race and fabulous report! Well done, you! :D

Likewise TFGR, you're an inspiration
    Ooooo......4-hoochie team event, anyone??? :D

Me likey the sound of this :) *waves hand madly in the air like an over enthusiastic child
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Congrats on a fantastic debut Marathon Neady.

Likewise, sub 3:20 on your first time out, you're destined for great things
    libelula wrote: »
    Wow.
    You're bleedin' deadly :D

:):):):)

Right, time to get this show on the road to recovery

Tuesday Oct 27th - Day 1 post Marathon

I managed to walk up and down the stairs and around the house a bit. An achievement in itself. Bit of a niggle in my left quad/hip/groin area - lifting my leg causing a bit of bother but put it down to 26.2 miles. Wore DCM top ALL day - the mental scars are healing.

Wednesday - Day 2 post marathon

I got an e-mail from the physio/coach of my running club with instructions to do 15 minutes of jogging or face the wrath of DOMS on Wednesday. She was the second Irish lady home in the Dublin marathon, I think I've got a girl crush, she's awesome. Figured my hip/groin wasn't gonna be happy with a jog so did 20 minutes on the bike and jogged around the swimming pool for a bit.

Thursday - Day 3 post marathon

Thawing out a lot. Getting up from my desk after sitting for a few hours isn't as painful as it was.

Went for a recovery massage with my physio. Delighted that I did, he diagnosed my leg/hip/groin problem as a strained hip flexor, massaged it out and gave me exercises to do. He said there was no significant damage and it was most likely tiny little tears from the marathon but hopefully nothing serious. I really benefited from the massage, he was able to pin point parts of my calves and glutes that were tight and really loosened them out. Felt sore but fresh leaving him.

Friday - Day 4 post marathon

Legs feeling light and fluffy this morning - that massage was magical. Did nothing but the stretches the physo advised me to do and some light foam rolling.

Saturday - Day 5 post marathon

60minutes on the Wattbike.
    Easy peasy spinning on the bike watching the rugger world cup final. Did lots of stretching after.

Sunday - Day 6 post marathon

3 miles @ 9:53/mile
    I did this in the morning and it felt laboured, I was sweating buckets and the effort felt high but my leg felt good.

4 miles @ 9:30/mile
    Sitting at home, watching tv and felt the urge to get out in the fresh autumnal air so I threw on my gear and headed out. I really enjoyed this trot around the city. I kept the pace at what felt very very comfortable. Lots of stretching after.

Monday AM

60 minutes of wattbike spinning and sweating
    I kept the gear low for this and just kept spinning it out nice and easy.

Monday PM

3 miles @ 10:30/mile
    This was going swimmingly well until the end of mile 2. I forgot to have bread with my soup earlier and lost all my energy so was happy to walk/jog the last mile home. Hip feels good but not quite 100% yet. Will keep on top of my exercises and stretching.

Neady, has the unthinkable happened, and are you actually taking a break? :eek: It's eerily quiet here.

• Advertisement

I was going to post the same earlier. Brilliant, finally a rest.

Neady, has the unthinkable happened, and are you actually taking a break? :eek: It's eerily quiet here.
    I was going to post the same earlier. Brilliant, finally a rest.

I have a confession to make ...... it's been 11 days since I've done a scrap of training. It's the longest stretch of non-training days all year.

I've started a new project in work so been travelling to wrap up the old project and travelling to kick start the next. This has meant days of 2:15am and 6:16am busses to Dublin city and airport and silly o clock returns.

That and I have to admit, I'm tired, really tired and I've lost my mojo for training a little bit. I'm enjoying my free time though but starting to feel energised and looking forward to getting stuck into some light training and some hill walking. I hear there's a dusting of snow on the Reeks :)

I've also neglected Boards ....... I've soooooooo much catching up to do :)

In the mean time though, I'm following the world adventure racing championships in Brazil. I wince every time I read a report, it's sounds like torture. Even the top teams don't seem to be enjoying it too much.

A break, finally. Excellent and it'll do you the world of good. Enjoy it.

I'm over this break now. You've had ten days, what's happening?

The reason I love this log and this forum ..... the other boardsies keep me honest and give me the kick up the ass that I need when I need it, thanks A :)

I took two days off to go to Westport last week to get myself back on track, packed the car with all my running, hiking and biking gear, and low and behold hurricane Barney decides to cause havoc. So instead of training I read books for two days and did not much else but eat chocolate and chips.

My diet has gone to the dogs since DCM. You know when you go to the shop for a bar of chocolate and the regular 8 square bar of cadburys chocolate is €1.35 but the 40 square one beside it is €1.50 so it makes economical sense to buy the big one and sure "I'll only have the 8 squares and save the rest". I've been doing that A LOT lately and I have no problem eating all 40 squares. This has been a common occurrence since the marathon. The cycle then continues, I'm wired from the chocolate, stay up late, wake up with a pain in my head and can't get out of bed to train, need more chocolate to give me energy. It's a horrible cycle to break - Sugar, it is definitely the enemy. I've given the chocolate the ol heave ho now though so things are coming together. The last week of pulling myself back together has looked like this

Thursday Nov 19th: 4 miles easy

Friday Nov 20th: 3 miles easy (heavy legs & stiff :O from yesterdays 4)

Saturday Nov 21st: Nada bar a walk around the farm with my Dad

Sunday Nov 22nd: A walk along the cliffs in Kilkee with Mum

Monday Nov 23rd: 4 miles easy

Tuesday Nov 24th : Circuit training

Wednesday Nov 25th: Feet up & working late

Thursday Nov 26th: Circuit training

Team ARSE and our unofficial hiking group the Mountain Hares are hitting for Kerry at silly o clock tonight to do some hiking/climbing on the reeks at first light tomorrow. Weather permitting, a few of us will rope up and climb up Howling Ridge and meet the others at the top of Carrantuohill. I've the mountain bike thrown in the car to do some mountain biking around Gelnbeigh on Sunday if we don't overindulge in the hostel tomorrow night ;)

Next week will hopefully see more structure in training, more time on the bike and some sort of a plan for the next month or so. I seem to work better when I have a plan to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Nice plan Neady!

Are you setting sights on ITERA or it that a deep dark secret for now? ;)

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    Nice plan Neady!

Are you setting sights on ITERA or it that a deep dark secret for now? ;)

One of the ARSEs sent around a provisional team training plan for 2016 this week and ITERA was pencilled in so it's definitely on the radar :)

We'll have a proper chat about it tomorrow but I'm pretty sure we're going for it. I'm asking Santa for contributions towards my race entry. I could have a sun holiday for the entry fee and we only have until January 7th to get in before the entry fee goes up.

I'm also a bit afraid to commit, it will make it real then and I won't be able to go to the Alps :(

You guys entered yet?

How was Kerry??? Report overdue! Tick tock tick tock :D

How was Kerry??? Report overdue! Tick tock tick tock :D

Storm Clodagh ruined most of our fun :(

Saturday November 28th

About ten Mountain Hares and ARSES made our way to Cronins yard at the foot of Carrauntoohill for first light on Saturday morning. The plan was to walk in together and split into two groups with four of us roping up to climb Howling Ridge and the rest of the group to head up one of the gullys.

It was clear from the way the car was shaking with the wind and rain on the way to Kerry that there was no way we would be doing any sort of climbing. Storm Clodagh had landed. We got our wet gear on, told John Cronin to have the fire lit and the apple pie ready for our return in a few hours and off we went.

It was quite blustery and wet on the walk in but nothing the gear and boots couldn't handle. We took to the right on the way in and headed up Curve gully even though there was a nice waterfall on it's way down against us. There was a nice wind growling and we knew we'd get the brunt when we got over the the top of the gully and made the last dash for the top. Wow, it was seriously windy, blow you off your feet windy, I kept having to go down on all fours to ground myself.

Needless to say, we didn't hang around on top too long (not even for a picture) and tried to get down to the start of the Heavenly gates as fast as possible. There was shelter on the way down the heavenly gates and we hopped skipped and jumped our way back to the yard where true to his word, John had a roaring fire on and apple pie and scones out of the oven.

Back to the hostel where Shelia, the lady of the hostel, had the fire on for us too. we cooked up a storm and downed a few pints in anticipation of a nice mountain bike ride the following morning. It just wasn't to be, there were gael force winds blowing at 8:30 when we were eating breakfast and we were heading further West to the coast where we would be further exposed. There was no way we would be able to stay on the bikes.

A disappointing weekend given that the same weekend last year we did a long trek across the big gun ridge, onto Carrauntoohill, helped the locals bring the generator down after they had reattached the cross that some hooligans had cut down and got out for a good 12 miles the following morning too.

I've attached some of the pics one of the guys took on Saturday.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Storm Clodagh ruined most of our fun :(

Boo hiss :mad:

Mmmh apple pie and scones though .... John Cronin sounds like my kind of man :D

• Advertisement

Diet still going well then K?

Might be looking for some recommendations for run routes in Galway next week S - in the city prob Sun pm - Thur pm (in a hotel with no feckin' pool or gym :mad:). Nothing crazy mind...

Oh the diet was to lose a couple of pounds for Mireya's race last week. Job done :P I've actually just finished my post karate snack - two slices of chocolate, date and nut loaf washed down with a gallon of tea :D

Boo hiss :mad:

He's a pretty cool guy and he makes sure that your car is safe in his farm yard while you're off wandering around. Great initiative by a farmer to make a few euro and keep the hikers and walkers happy. There's also shower facilities and camping pods :) If yer ever hitting the Reeks it's the place to go from.

Might be looking for some recommendations for run routes in Galway next week S - in the city prob Sun pm - Thur pm (in a hotel with no feckin' pool or gym :mad:). Nothing crazy mind...

Sure thing, there's lovely running routes that can encorporate the prom (though the concrete is tough on the legs). If you can get out during the day there's lots of pitches around the University and nice track along by the rive. There's a running track in Westside thats open to the public for use at all time and outdoor exercise equipment.

I'm not sure where you're staying but you could PAYG at the pool at leisureland in Salthill: http://www.leisureland.ie/swimming/swimming-prices-schedule. If you're staying in town, short run to leisureland, swim, short run back to the city centre.

My pace is a lot slower than yours but if you fancy a slow run, I'll keep you company.

This weeks training has gone something like

Monday

4.5 miles @ 8:44/mi
    Had to get this out of the quick so I went off a bit of a clip. Really enjoyed it.

Tuesday

Circuits
    Can't quite remember the sequence but it was lots of sprinting, medicine ball twists and bear crawls type stuff.

Wednesday

45 minutes getting reacquainted with the wattbike. Keeping the rpms steady and trying not to burnout before circuits/x-training.

Circuits: 4x60 seconds on each

1. Core training: standing up straight, one foot in front of the other. With straight arms, life weight bar, palms facing up, up over head & back down with controlled movement. This was a new one on me and bloody hard, could really feel it on the tummy.
    2. Renegade rows & pushups/ pull ups on the machine
    3. Boxing combined with side jumps
    4. Chin-ups combined with sing leg squats
    5. Rowing combined with push-ups
    6. Lunge walking with weights/ bear crawls

Thursday AM

Circuits: 4x60 seconds on each

1. Ball slams combined with jumps
    2. Kettle bell squat & press above the head
    3. Sprints & lunge walk with weights
    4. Same weight bar core exercise as last night
    5. Boxing & side jumps
    6. Renegade rows & press ups

Thursday PM

45 minutes on the wattbike keeping the rpms steady and trying to be as efficient as possible with my cycling. Found this tough and my thighs were burning. Couldn't wait for the 45 minutes to be over.

I've become quite unfit since the marathon. Bit of making up to do, especially on the bike.

Sure thing, there's lovely running routes that can encorporate the prom (though the concrete is tough on the legs). If you can get out during the day there's lots of pitches around the University and nice track along by the rive. There's a running track in Westside thats open to the public for use at all time and outdoor exercise equipment.

I'm not sure where you're staying but you could PAYG at the pool at leisureland in Salthill: http://www.leisureland.ie/swimming/swimming-prices-schedule. If you're staying in town, short run to leisureland, swim, short run back to the city centre.

My pace is a lot slower than yours but if you fancy a slow run, I'll keep you company.

Kool and the Gang. Wouldn't mind a jaunt out the prom to see the spot where the legend that is Teresa Mannion stood for her report the other night. :P. https://youtu.be/bzx3MeYonT8

If you're up for a jog happy days - no worry about pace; I'd rather company than a faster solo run. Will pm you. Timing is my only concern - I'll prob be out early mornings because I'm up for work with a gang so will be trying to fit it in between work and meals.

Have to stop leaving such long breaks between logging. Friday was a wash out, literally, I refused to leave the house because of the wind and rain - see link above in Dilberts post

Saturday

60 minutes on the Wattbike, 33km
    It went something like 10 minutes on each gear, 1 to 6, using the gear lever. Keeping cadence on each gear steady. I've got a Wattbike plan that I'm going to follow once I get a few weeks of base building behind me.

There was a guy on the treadmill in front of me that had a poncho on over his t-shirt while he was running. He had it tucked into his shorts and had the hood up. It was very strange, maybe he was trying to make weight for something but surely the sauna would be a better way to sweat it out to make weight.

3miles on the treadmill @ 10:00/mi @ 1% incline
    I did this straight off the bike.

Sunday

6 miles @ 9:12/mi
    I couldn't waste this pretty sunny day and not get out on the prom. After the darkness of the past week it was great to be out in the warm air and see everyone smiling and enjoying the fresh air.

Monday AM

6 miles @ 9:17mi
    I did this at early o' clock with Dilbert from around these parts. A fresh morning on the prom, as my Dad would say. Dilbert very kindly slowed to my geriatric pace while I pointed out the scenery (in the dark). It was really nice to be out so early while the rest of the city slept and to have such great company - I couldn't do this on my own every morning though.

I need more boardsies to visit Galway to motivate me to get up and get out early.

Monday PM

70 minutes on the Wattbike
    15 minutes each an gears 1 to 4 followed by 10 on 10.
    This was a sweaty drippy one. The guy on the bike next to me, a triathlete as he had a tri top on, was there when I got there and was there for an hour of my session so he was putting in the time. He went through 3 iso-gels from the time I got there and he didn't sweat a bit, not a drop. He didn't even have a towel with him meanwhile there was a puddle forming underneath me. How is that? Was he just uber cool?

Tuesday AM

Circuits: 8 stations @ 4x60 seconds each
    This was one of those tear the shoulders off you circuit sessions. There was a whole pletera of new exercises that were so difficult that we just couldn't hold the positions and they were in a sequence that when your arms were burned, you got to do more arm stuff.

1. Split lunge squat pushing dumbbells over the head on the raise
    2. Squat jumps with dumbbells - squat, jump while holding the squat & hold dumbbells out with straight arms. Try it, it's torturous
    3. Push-up sliders/dragging yourself across the floor (feet sliders)
    4. Side planks while playing dyna band tug of war with my partner in crime
    5. Bosu ball front lunges with a kettle bell
    6. Medicine ball push ups
    7. Clamshell with resistance band - good for hip flexors I was told
    8. Sit-ups & push-ups

Geriatric pace, my eye. At 6:30 in the night, particularly against that wind, I was delighted with our pace.

Twas a lot less pleasant this evening - colder for one. Also, nighttime exercisers in Galway seem a lot less friendly than early morning exercisers - my mission to greet multiple total randomers fell on its face this evening. Either that or yesterday they were all greeting you... :/

You could always come to Dublin for early morning runs :D

....new adventures???? well.... did I miss something?

Yeah...shiny new log title....

• Advertisement

You could always come to Dublin for early morning runs :D

....new adventures???? well.... did I miss something?

Does a 5 day non-stop adventure race count as a new adventure?

Should be up in Dublin a good bit in the Spring for work so that could become a reality :)
    Yeah...shiny new log title....

It's not very imaginative but it feels like it's the start of a whole new Chapter :)

Geriatric pace, my eye. At 6:30 in the night, particularly against that wind, I was delighted with our pace.

Twas a lot less pleasant this evening - colder for one. Also, nighttime exercisers in Galway seem a lot less friendly than early morning exercisers - my mission to greet multiple total randomers fell on its face this evening. Either that or yesterday they were all greeting you... :/

Ha ha they sure weren't greeting me but I agree they were very friendly compared to my usual experience and after being out with you, I've realised that I'm not great at saying hello myself. Will keep up the Dilbert sunshine hellos on the prom from here on in :)

Ha ha they sure weren't greeting me but I agree they were very friendly compared to my usual experience and after being out with you, I've realised that I'm not great at saying hello myself. Will keep up the Dilbert sunshine hellos on the prom from here on in :)

Bahahaha - Galway might grow to tolerate it. I don't normally get such a warm reception when I run in Dublin. Parents hush their children away and stare suspiciously at me. Other people prepare to fight or flee. Older people are better - they normally engage.

I just reckon you never know when you'll be the only person who says a kind word to someone all day.

Does a 5 day non-stop adventure race count as a new adventure?

I was hoping you had decided to master the art of swimming and were going to sign up for a triathlon! :D
    I just reckon you never know when you'll be the only person who says a kind word to someone all day.

A kind word is free. A smile is free. You are so right, Dilbert, sometimes the most simple of acts can make someone's entire day. Thank you. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bahahaha - Galway might grow to tolerate it. I don't normally get such a warm reception when I run in Dublin. Parents hush their children away and stare suspiciously at me. Other people prepare to fight or flee. Older people are better - they normally engage.

We have a marine watch scheme here where people patrol and watch for potential suicides. They approach and talk to them. Since it started noone has been lost to our river. It works.

New log title, new adventure. TELL US more.

I was hoping you had decided to master the art of swimming and were going to sign up for a triathlon! :D

A kind word is free. A smile is free. You are so right, Dilbert, sometimes the most simple of acts can make someone's entire day. Thank you. :)

So true, you two are little rays of sunshine :)
    New log title, new adventure. TELL US more.

I've booked a course of swimming lessons for January so fingers crossed I'll be able to wander into the deep end without needing saving. This will be my third attempt at learning to swim, once as a kid and once as an adult. Third time lucky hopefully :)

The big new adventure will be a five day adventure race with a marathon thrown in as training maybe ;)

Tuesday PM

3.52miles @ 9:24/mi
    This was done at very dark o clock at night.

Wednesday

60 easy spinny minutes on the Wattbike in the AM. My legs just don’t want to go round and round very fast in the morning.

Thursday AM

Circuits – can’t remember the exact circuits but there were lots of push-ups.

Thursday PM

6 miles @ 9:37/mi
    Still no pace in these legs.

Friday AM

60 minutes on the Wattbike.
    This felt better than Wednesday. Now that’s the base building done. Some sessions to be done next week.

Sunday

7 and a bit miles @ 8:49/mi
    After watching/cheering on the xc runners in Ennis, I decided that I better get out and do something so a nice 7 lumpy miles around Kilmihil it was. All the xc runners deserve serious kudos for going out there, you can really see the suffering they go through by their faces, it’s a tough sport.

Monday

70 minutes on the Wattbike:
    30 min warm up
    5 x 5 mins (2mins @ 100rpm, 3 mins @ 85rpm)
    15 mins cool down
    The first two sets @ 100rpm were tough but I managed to hold onto 190ish watts but the third set was coming undone after 90 seconds. All at level 1, I couldn’t sustain the 100rpm at a higher level.

This was followed by 2 miles @ 9:20/mi on the treadmill.

Tuesday AM

2.5 miles @ 9:04/mi on the treadmill before Circuits

Circuits: 8 stations @ 4x60 seconds each
    This is all a bit of a haze as it was one of the toughest sessions I’ve done in the morning. I was the closest I’ve come to getting sick in a long time.

Tuesday PM

6.11miles @ 9:55/mi
    A very sweet little old lady told me that I was doing great and to keep it up as I ran by her. It put a great big smile on my face until I started thinking that maybe I looked like I was suffering as I was going at such a slow pace and she was feeling sorry for me.

Merry Christmas Needy! :)

• Advertisement

Yep merry Christmas S!

Advertisement