Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viet Cong

Options
  • 29-01-2015 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

The Workmans Club, Weds 13th May. The new album is gonna be up there among the best of the year IMO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Turning out to be an expensive 2015... will be hitting this

Continental Shelf is one of my favorite tunes from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

I've never attended a gig in worksman before, any idea what time they'd come onstage

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

ronano wrote: »
    I've never attended a gig in worksman before, any idea what time they'd come onstage

Doors open at 8 and it has to be over by 10:30 for when the nightclub starts if that's any help to you. I haven't anything about a support act but I assume there'll be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Zarkandar

Any news on what (if any) the support will be? Can't find anything online about it

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

Zarkandar wrote: »
    Any news on what (if any) the support will be? Can't find anything online about it

They don't have anyone down as support on their Facebook page so there might not be any.

Girl Band (an Irish band) are supporting them in the US in June so I'd say if it was going to be anyone it would be them but they don't have it down on their tour dates.

• Advertisement

They don't have anyone down as support on their Facebook page so there might not be any.

Girl Band (an Irish band) are supporting them in the US in June so I'd say if it was going to be anyone it would be them but they don't have it down on their tour dates.

Cheers flood pants

Just seen that Women's Christmas is support band: http://womenschristmas.bandcamp.com/, odd name for a band but nice counter-balance to Viet Cong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Also playing Electric Picnic.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Women's Christmas supporting a band half of whom used to play in a group called Women - who are being supported in the US by Girl Band.

Huh.

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Women's Christmas supporting a band half of whom used to play in a group called Women - who are being supported in the US by Girl Band.

Huh.

And are there any female members in any of the 3 bands?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Any reviews of the gig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

Any reviews of the gig?

Mostly Stunning.

Opened with "Throw it Away" from Cassette EP. Great start. For the next 45 minutes played (mostly) blistering versions of tracks off the album including "Continental Shelf", "March of Progress", etc. Finished the set with an extended version (must have been best part of 15 minutes long) of "Death", which was without doubt the highlight of the night, bloody stunning. Warned us that an encore was a bad idea, but they played one anyway. I think it was "Unconscious Melody" which didn't quite reach the heights we had already reached over the previous 45 minutes.
    At their best when they breakdown to bare bones instrumental jamming sections, which are full of energy and executed brilliantly by all four musicians. A couple of the tunes didn't quite work for me, but most of this set was absolutely stunning.

IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Really enjoyed seeing them in such a small venue. First 40mins or so was great but they lost me towards the end of Death.
    The songs sound a lot more raw, edgy, punk played live. Good craic from the singer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

pmalone wrote: »
    Mostly Stunning.

Opened with "Throw it Away" from Cassette EP. Great start. For the next 45 minutes played (mostly) blistering versions of tracks off the album including "Continental Shelf", "March of Progress", etc. Finished the set with an extended version (must have been best part of 15 minutes long) of "Death", which was without doubt the highlight of the night, bloody stunning. Warned us that an encore was a bad idea, but they played one anyway. I think it was "Unconscious Melody" which didn't quite reach the heights we had already reached over the previous 45 minutes.
    At their best when they breakdown to bare bones instrumental jamming sections, which are full of energy and executed brilliantly by all four musicians. A couple of the tunes didn't quite work for me, but most of this set was absolutely stunning.

IMHO

The last one was Unconscious Melody all right. Played Silhouettes and Bunker Buster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Absolutely amazing. Short, but savage. Death was an eargasm. Should've left it there but trust the Irish to egg people on.

Advertisement