Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am I to stupid to study in Ireland?

Options
  • 29-01-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

hi everyone,

I moved to Ireland few weeks ago because of work and I was trying to translate my education to Irish standard and based on the description I'm stupid and can only do 'basic' tasks.

Now my question is how can I apply for a study that will fit with my full time job.

Ik have a Dutch education, it's Irish NQF level 3 or so.. I graduated it back in 2010 and got a diploma with it. But apparently it's worth absolutely nothing and I'm stupid.

the official name is 'certificate senior secondary vocational education'

but I don't think I'm that stupid at all... did many things in the past.. from tuning cars to network and server management, building website and had a company for years.

I wonder if someone can help me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP,
    Where did you have your qualifications assessed OP. The QQI site lists some Dutch qualifications and what they relate to in the Irish system.

http://qsearch.qqi.ie/WebPart/Search?searchtype=recognitions

Also please don't describe yourself as stupid. All a qualification does is formally recognise that you have studied to a certain standard. It is not a measure of your ability or potential. Yes, to progress in employment etc. you may need to do more courses or training but as you say yourself you have done other things in life and have developed skills in certain areas. It might be worthwhile looking at getting an Irish qualification in one of these areas that you are skilled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

You can apply to most colleges as a mature student and you dont necessarily have to have great qualifications. Entry requirements vary from place to place but most look at work experience and take it into account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    Where did you have your qualifications assessed OP. The QQI site lists some Dutch qualifications and what they relate to in the Irish system.

Also please don't describe yourself as stupid. All a qualification does is formally recognise that you have studied to a certain standard. It is not a measure of your ability or potential. Yes, to progress in employment etc. you may need to do more courses or training but as you say yourself you have done other things in life and have developed skills in certain areas. It might be worthwhile looking at getting an Irish qualification in one of these areas that you are skilled in.
    yeah but mine isnt there..

i translated it as:

Irish NFQ level 3
    Level 3 Certificate
    Junior Certificate

And my education / diploma is:

Certificate Senior Secondary Vocational Education
    Qualification: Service Assistant ICT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Asmooh wrote: »

And my education / diploma is:

Certificate Senior Secondary Vocational Education
    Qualification: Service Assistant ICT

Senior Secondary is not Junior Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

spurious wrote: »
    Senior Secondary is not Junior Cert.

oh what is is then? because it says EQF 2 or so?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Asmooh wrote: »
    oh what is is then? because it says EQF 2 or so?

Senior Secondary in most European countries means after the age of 16. This would be higher than Junior Cert..
    Have you asked the body that awarded your certificate what it is judged at?

What age are you? If over 23 you can get into college without formal qualifications.

Advertisement