Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotherham victim says abusers are 'untouchable'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Frito wrote: »
    I've been reading through bits of the report, and I kind of agree with end of the road. I suspect the 'PC' angle was a consideration, but also overplayed to suppress complaints from front line/junior workers, and perhaps there were other political and financial implications to turning a blind eye. The report itself frequently points out the level of denial and lack of culpability from Rotherham council predominantly, but also wider agencies. It seems nearly everyone considered these girls fair game.
    Yeh I suspect the girls' backgrounds rendered them to be deemed less "worthy" of protection. This couldn't be further from a PC mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

It was revealed that council bosses, police and social workers had turned a blind eye for fear of being labelled racist.

Miss Casey said her report confirmed those findings, adding that leading figures in the council had demonstrated "a resolute denial of what has happened in the borough".

The inspection team also found a "a culture of covering up uncomfortable truths, silencing whistle-blowers and paying off staff rather than dealing with difficult issues."
    "The issue of race is contentious, with staff and Members lacking the confidence to tackle difficult issues for fear of being seen as racist or upsetting community cohesion."
    "Rotherham’s suppression of these uncomfortable issues and its fear of being branded racist has done a disservice to the Pa kistani heritage community as well as the wider community. It has prevented discussion and effective action to tackle theproblem.

"This has allowed perpetrators to remain at large, has let victims down, and perversely, has allowed the far right to try and exploit the situation. These may have been unintended consequences but the impact remains the same and reaches into the present day."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11388933/Rotherham-child-sex-abuse-scandal-council-not-fit-for-purpose.html

Yep. Nothing to do with political correctness at all, at all.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Well I'm certainly not saying it has "nothing" to do with political correctness, but I suspect that's not the only element to the cover-up.

Have you had a gander at the report?

A police officer;
    They (the politicians) wanted to use any other word than Asian males. They were terrified of [the impact on] community cohesion.”

A care worker;
    “The issue [of CSE perpetrators] was predominately Asian men and they were scared that would cause a problem. We would tell them that in the forums and they were uncomfortable. Stats on ethnicity were taken out of presentations. There was resistance to focusing on who the perpetrators were.”

A police officer;
    “[My] experience of council as it was and is – Asian men very powerful, and the white British are very mindful of racism and frightened of racism allegations so there is no robust challenge. They had massive influence in the town. For example, I know all the backgrounds to the Asian Councillors… but don’t know anything about white Members. Not about race only but the power and influence – the family links in those communities are still very strong. Definitely an issue of race.”

A youth worker;
    “I got my knuckles rapped by [manager] on that occasion for mentioning Asian taxi drivers… she had been told [what I’d said] was controversial and not to mention ethnicity.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Yeh I suspect the girls' backgrounds rendered them to be deemed less "worthy" of protection. This couldn't be further from a PC mindset.

Just because someone acts in a politically correct manner in terms of ethnicity doesn't necessarily mean they will do so towards class, gender or any other sector. Humans aren't necessarily consistent or logical in how they behave.
    Well I'm certainly not saying it has "nothing" to do with political correctness, but I suspect that's not the only element to the cover-up.

Of course not, the report itself says that there were a number of factors but ethnic culture and politically correct attitudes towards it were a major factor.

Now it wouldn't particularly surprise me if some of the police were involved in CSE themselves and covering up the whole thing because of that but there's no solid evidence to back up that hunch atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Now it wouldn't particularly surprise me if some of the police were involved in CSE themselves and covering up the whole thing because of that but there's no solid evidence to back up that hunch atm.

I was thinking more about the lack of resources - social worker saying that teenagers can walk away from abuse but babies can't - their need to prioritise competing demands for dwindling resources, Rotherham council not wanting to admit to abuse and give the town a bad reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

And the rapist's background rendered them to be deemed them more worthy of protection and less worthy of prosecution. This is the PC mindset at it's most poisonous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

A most revealing report from the BBC today about yet another rape gang that has been arrested. Do you notice anything unusual between the two news reports on the same issue? For example, a description of the individuals arrested? But what would you expect from an organisation that encouraged Jimmy Saville to rape children in BBC offices with the full knowledge of senior management.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-31141167

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/crime/25-men-charged-with-sexual-offences-against-two-girls-in-calderdale-1-7089705#.VNJ28XXDDTS.twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-31151445

and another one, with certain details left out of course

just the tip of a massive iceberg

the same will happen here soon enough

just the tip of a massive iceberg

Or perhaps the authorities are finally getting on top of it and rooting out the grooming gangs? Probably wishful thinking, but hey.

• Advertisement

A thought provoking article here from The Telegraph. It finishes up with this;
    To dismiss what occurred there as political correctness run amok is to of itself allow political correctness to run amok. The victims of Rotherham were selected because of their race. The perpetrators were left free to continue their abuse because of their race. That is what we call racism. Because if we don’t, then the entire concept of racism ceases to have any meaning.

It was racism that allowed a British town to be turned into a rape camp, not political correctness. We must not let political correctness prevent us from saying so.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11392781/Rotherham-abuse-didnt-happen-because-of-political-correctness.-It-happened-because-of-racism.html

That journalist is a fool if he thinks this tragic case is simply an issue of race.

I might as well say it was misogyny.

That journalist is a fool if he thinks this tragic case is simply an issue of race.

I might as well say it was misogyny.

You'd be a bigger fool to deny racial hatred was a factor.

Misogyny was also a factor. An imported, religiously informed culture of misogyny.

I don't deny the racial element, it's just not as black-and-white (pardon the pun) as the journalist suggests.

I don't deny the racial element, it's just not as black-and-white (pardon the pun) as the journalist suggests.

If the roles were reversed, would you be saying the same?

If the roles were reversed, would you be saying the same?

It's not an ideological argument for me.

The report is quite clear that
    *white girls were abused by men of Pakistani heritage
    *complaints of this were suppressed
    *there was multiagency denial of the scale and scope of the abuse
    *staff were discouraged/undermined when complaining by counter claims of racism
    *staff felt their resources were over stretched
    *the council were reluctant to act due to racial tension within the wider community, not wanting to alienate minority groups, not wanting to attract bad press to Rotherham, not wanting to jeopardise further investment in the town
    *some police and social work staff failed to grasp the intricacies of CSE and did not understand the law as it applied
    *some police, social work and council members sought to undermine the efforts made by the voluntary agency drafted in to identify and support victims

There are multiple, compex, interwoven issues here that have led to the failure of these girls by people who were supposed to protect them. To claim that racism and over zealous political correctness are the Real Issues We Need To Focus On just fails them again. The perception of race and race relations is not the whole picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Another case

Twenty five men have been charged with child sex offences in Calderdale following a major police operation.

The men, mainly from Halifax, have been charged with various offences including rape, trafficking for the purposes of sexual exploitation, sexual activity with a child under 16, sexual assault, voyeurism, sexual grooming, conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child under 16, causing a child under 16 to engage in sexual activity without consent and supply of a Class B drug.

The men are:

HEDAR ALI, 35, of Nantwich, Cheshire. He is charged with rape (x2) and trafficking for the purpose of sexual exploitation (x2)

FASIL MAHMOOD, 35, of Halifax. He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16 and supply of a class B Drug

ZAMEER ASIF, 24, of Halifax. He is charged with sexual activity with a child

MOHAMMED RAMZAN, 34, of Bradford. He is charged with Conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child under 16, rape and trafficking for the purpose of sexual exploitation.

KHALID ZAMAN, 37, of Bradford. He is charged with conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child under 16, rape (x2) and supply of a class B drug

ATAF ALI, 32, of Bradford. He is charged with conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child under 16 and voyeurism.

MOHAMMED FIAZ ASKAR, 32, of Bradford. He is charged with conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child under 16

AESAN PERVEZ, 26, of Halifax. He is charged with sexual assault (x3)

MANSOOR AKHTAR, 23, of Huddersfield. He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16 (x2) and the supply of a class B drug.

FURQAAN GHAFAR, 30, Derby. He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16

AFTAB HUSSAIN, 35, of Halifax. He is charged with sexual grooming, sexual assault and sexual activity with a child under 16 (x2)

TALIB SADDIQ, 29, of Halifax. He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16 (x2)

AMAAR ALI DITTA, 25, of Halifax. He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16 (x2)

SIKANDER MALIK, 30, of Halifax. He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16

AKBAR AZIZ HUSSAIN, 29, of Halifax. He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16 and supply of a class B drug

AZEEM SUBHANI, 23, of Halifax. He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16 (x2)

TAHIR MAHMOOD, 42, of Halifax. He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16 (x3) and sexual assault

MOHAMMED AHMED, 41, of Halifax. He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16

HAARIS AHMED, 31, of Halifax. He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16 (x3) and supply of a class B drug (x3)

TAUKEER BUTT, 29, of Halifax. He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16 (x4)

ARSHAD MAJID, 24, of Shipley. He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16

CHRISTOPHER MULQUEEN-BENNETT, 36, of Newport (Gwent). He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16.

MUHAMMED ASIM JANJUHA, 33, of Bradford. He is charged with rape.

HAIDER ALI, 39, of Halifax. He is charged with rape, sexual activity with a child under 16 and causing a child under 16 to engage in sexual activity without consent

SIKANDER ISHAQ, 30, of Halifax. He is charged with sexual activity with a child under 16.

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/crime/25-men-charged-with-sexual-offences-against-two-girls-in-calderdale-1-7089705#.VNJ6CVWfo1Q.twitter

We'll see a lot more of it I fear.

England is starting to reap the seeds sow by untrammeled immigration and the failed dogma of multiculturalism.

Coming to a town near you.

A police officer understood to be under investigation by a watchdog in relation to the Rotherham child abuse scandal has died following a car crash.

South Yorkshire PC Hassan Ali, 44, died in hospital nine days after he was hit by a car in Sheffield on 28 January.

Mr Ali was being investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) over allegations made about him, the BBC understands.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-31164399

Last week;
    Sarah Champion, MP for Rotherham, has this week handed in a petition to Parliament calling for the right to prevent or relocate demonstrations from the town centre.

Over the past 12 months there have been a number of marches through Rotherham, particularly by far-right groups, which have had a huge impact on the town. Small businesses have suffered lost income, with their shops being inaccessible during the demonstrations and many people have told the MP they now avoid the town centre completely for fear of reprisals.

Today;
    Hilarious Farage is trapped inside the #Rotherham UKIP shop by people objecting to him coming to rubber neck at victims!

https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/563723653809176578

A protest against the mass rape of children by grooming gangs and those who covered it up?

Try and stop it.

A protest against the mere existence of a moderately nationalist party to the point where the police advise the leader of said party to stay inside for his own safety?

Find it hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...presumably people don't want this hijacked by racists, bigots and xenophobes. Certainly Farage has made a career out of xenophobia, so its hardly suprising hes not wanted.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...presumably people don't want this hijacked by racists, bigots and xenophobes. Certainly Farage has made a career out of xenophobia, so its hardly suprising hes not wanted.

Would these be the Pakistani racists, bigots, and xenophobes now? Y'know, the ones that raped children because of their skin colour?

Would these be the Pakistani racists, bigots, and xenophobes now? Y'know, the ones that raped children because of their skin colour?

You mean British citizens of Pakistani origin? Who targeted young girls based on their vulnerability more than race.

No, as I do believe far right marches through the town were the subject at hand.

...presumably people don't want this hijacked by racists, bigots and xenophobes.

Yes. We should leave the matter in the capable hands of those who ignored and facilitated the mass grooming, assault, rape and torture of thousands of young girls.
    Certainly Farage has made a career out of xenophobia, so its hardly suprising hes not wanted.

One hundred far left activists protesting against his mere presence in Rotherham doesn't show that 'he's not wanted'.

UKIP won circa 22% of the vote in the 2012 Rotherham by-election in 2012. I dare say it will be higher in May. Not wanted, indeed.

You mean British citizens of Pakistani origin? Who targeted young girls based on their vulnerability more than race.

No, as I do believe far right marches through the town were the subject at hand.

But aggressive left wing marches like the SWP today are ok, is that correct?

Who targeted young girls based on their vulnerability more than race.

There must be very, very few vulnerable muslim girls so. Wanting something to be true and it actually being true are two vastly different things.

Even former Home Secretary, Jack Straw, hardly someone you would call far right or nationalistic, openly stated that a proportion of muslims view white girls as 'easy meat' for sexual abuse.
    Former home secretary Jack Straw has accused some Pakistani men in Britain of seeing white girls as "easy meat" for sexual abuse.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/white-girls-easy-meat-to-pakistani-men-says-straw-2179347.html

What a lovely fellow this Holborn lad is. On his blog he refers to Irish people as "pig eyed micks" and "bog trotters". Do you share his views or do you find them easy to ignore once his hatred for other things coincides with your own?

Yes. We should leave the matter in the capable hands of those who ignored and facilitated the mass grooming, assault, rape and torture of thousands of young girls. .

Nobody suggested that this be the case. However whatever racist knuckledraggers and xenophobic band wagon jumpers have been lurching along rotherhams streets are hardly a solution either.
    UKIP won circa 22% of the vote in the 2012 Rotherham by-election in 2012. I dare say it will be higher in May. Not wanted, indeed.

We shall see.
    There must be very, very few vulnerable muslim girls so.

Given the conservative nature of muslim families and their scarcity as a percentage of the population, yes.

What a lovely fellow this Holborn lad is. On his blog he refers to Irish people as "pig eyed micks" and "bog trotters". Do you share his views or do you find them easy to ignore once his hatred for other things coincides with your own?

I don't give two f*cks what he thinks about Irish people. Champion deleted the original tweet, so that's the only remnants of it. Once again, nice attempt at deflecting from the issie at hand.

Nitpicking, deflection, whataboutery and haranguing posters - it's all you have got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Yes. We should leave the matter in the capable hands of those who ignored and facilitated the mass grooming, assault, rape and torture of thousands of young girls.

One hundred far left activists protesting against his mere presence in Rotherham doesn't show that 'he's not wanted'.

thats what happens when a party tells the gullible what they want to hear. UKIP won't be delivering anything. all they are is failed thatcherite tories outed or who don't want to be part of the all be it imperfect modernized tory party who have recognized they need to move with the times even though they aren't exactly anything to shout about still. you should see the gullability of UKIP supporters though, its on a whole new level.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement