Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting fire alarm to security alarm system advice

Options
  • 29-01-2015 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hello,

I have a wired smoke alarm system in my house and also a wired HKC security alarm system. Both are separate systems at the moment but I would like to connect them using some sort of relay.

My idea would be to install one HKC smoke alarm in the house somewhere and then connect this alarm to the existing wired (non-HKC) smoke alarm system. So when one of the smoke alarms are triggered it will trigger all smoke alarms on the system including the HKC smoke alarm.

By trigggering this HKC smoke alarm and relaying the message to the security alarm system I should hopefully receive communication (through text) that the smoke alarm has been activated.

Can someone please advise on how best to go about this idea?

Thanks for any input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hello,

I have a wired smoke alarm system in my house and also a wired HKC security alarm system. Both are separate systems at the moment but I would like to connect them using some sort of relay.

My idea would be to install one HKC smoke alarm in the house somewhere and then connect this alarm to the existing wired (non-HKC) smoke alarm system. So when one of the smoke alarms are triggered it will trigger all smoke alarms on the system including the HKC smoke alarm.

By trigggering this HKC smoke alarm and relaying the message to the security alarm system I should hopefully receive communication (through text) that the smoke alarm has been activated.

Thanks for any input

You can use 12V smoke alarms with the HKC systems. With the 10/70 you can also use wire free smoke detectors. Is there a input on the other smoke detectors you are trying to use or how do you want them to trigger the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

What make and model is your fire alarm system. I note also that you mentioned text notification, do you know that Eircom are discontinuing that service on June 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Merrion1968

My system is the HKC 10/70 hydrid system and the text alert funtion uses a prepaid SIM card from Vodaphone. Will Eircom's decision affect me?

Altor, I dont think there is a convenient input in the wired smoke alarm system to connect another system to. However it must be possible to connect them by utilising the same signal that relays the message throughout the wired system, its only electrical currents after all. Any ideas?

My system is the HKC 10/70 hydrid system and the text alert funtion uses a prepaid SIM card from Vodaphone. Will Eircom's decision affect me?

Altor, I dont think there is a convenient input in the wired smoke alarm system to connect another system to. However it must be possible to connect them by utilising the same signal that relays the message throughout the wired system, its only electrical currents after all. Any ideas?

OK Eircoms decision will not effect you as it only applies to landlines.
    There may not be evidence of an output on your Fire Alarm panel, depending on the model you may have to install a supplementary dry contact relay card.
    It is technically not possible to hook up an intruder alarm type smoke detector head in series with proper Fire Alarm systems detector heads.
    The only way if doing this is as I have mentioned previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You could use the interlink cable on the smokes, through a relay and use a spare zone on the panel

• Advertisement

Hello,

Thanks for any input

Sorry OP but i am confused, when you say Fire Alarm System.....do you mean that you have fire detectors in your home that are all connected to a Fire Alarm Control Panel?

Or do you have a few of those typical Electrical Smoke and Heat Detectors which when detect a fire, activate locally and then relay the activation to the next detector etc so the sound is all over the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

If you are using a fire alarm system then the easiest way is to trigger a zone on the control panel using a relay. Some fire alarm outputs are 12 V or 24 V so you would need to know this first.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Merrion1968

kub wrote: »
    Or do you have a few of those typical Electrical Smoke and Heat Detectors which when detect a fire, activate locally and then relay the activation to the next detector etc so the sound is all over the house?

Hi Kub, yes this is what I have, so no control panel.

As suggested by Jnealon can I use an interlink cable from a smoke alarm connected through a relay module and then into the HKC system? A relay module has to housed in a junction box right? Where would I install this?

And as for connecting to the HKC system could I simply attach it at any point to one of the many wires around the house? Or must it connected directly to the panel?

Advertisement