Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gear VR

• 29-01-2015 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭

Since there doesn't seem to be a thread about this I thought I would start one.

Had anyone tried the Gear VR? I am really curious about this device and can't wait to start developing for it. I am in London at the moment and plan to go to one of the experience stores and have a demo. I will post back when I try it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

kjl wrote: »
    Since there doesn't seem to be a thread about this I thought I would start one.

Had anyone tried the Gear VR? I am really curious about this device and can't wait to start developing for it. I am in London at the moment and plan to go to one of the experience stores and have a demo. I will post back when I try it.

Ordered mine last Friday and the shipping date is 4th of February so I'll let update when I get it but I'm pretty excited!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

dpjmie wrote: »
    Ordered mine last Friday and the shipping date is 4th of February so I'll let update when I get it but I'm pretty excited!!!!!!

I got to try it out yesterday in the Samsung experience store in London, it's pretty cool but very limited content.

I was in the oculus cinema but actually think the home theater is better.

Where did you order it from?

Yeah the apps are suppose to be limited but there is the oculus sdk 4.0 available so I wanna play with that and make a few apps myself ;)

I ordered it directly from samsung http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/wearables/gear/SM-R320NPWGBTU

And as they require a UK address I used parcel motel

Yeah the apps are suppose to be limited but there is the oculus sdk 4.0 available so I wanna play with that and make a few apps myself ;)

I ordered it directly from samsung http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/wearables/gear/SM-R320NPWGBTU

And as they require a UK address I used parcel motel

Well, I do have a UK address. Same you can only get the version with the Gamepad.

Delayed :(

Now shipping date is 27th of February but the plus side is I got a 10% discount :)

• Advertisement

Delayed :(

Now shipping date is 27th of February but the plus side is I got a 10% discount :)

I bought one today, expected delivery date is 6th March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Used it last year at a Samsung press event... bloody brilliant. made me feel sick when on a roller coaster... would love to get one

Just thought I would update, I got mine there on tuesday, but still waiting for the note 4 to be delivered, will post more when i get it.

Just thought I would update, I got mine there on tuesday, but still waiting for the note 4 to be delivered, will post more when i get it.

Did u order directly from Samsung too??

cheers
    DPjmie

Did u order directly from Samsung too??

cheers
    DPjmie

yeah, I work in london so I had it delivered to my hotel.

• Advertisement

yeah, I work in london so I had it delivered to my hotel.

I bought one of those vr covers too, I would say it's well worth it as the foam is a bit flimsy

I just got informed by samsung they will not ship to parcel motel, anyone any ideas to get it, or if its available in a shop up north or that??????

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lusocu

I just got informed by samsung they will not ship to parcel motel, anyone any ideas to get it, or if its available in a shop up north or that??????

Oh no. I just set up a parcel motel account in hope I will finally get the Gear VR. I've been trying to get my hands on this for months. I bought the Note 4 specifically to get my hands on the Gear VR. No matter what I try I can't get Samsung to take my money. Did they say why? I'm left without other options at the moment. It's a massive disappointment. And I'm down 600 euro. What a waste.

Lusocu wrote: »
    Oh no. I just set up a parcel motel account in hope I will finally get the Gear VR. I've been trying to get my hands on this for months. I bought the Note 4 specifically to get my hands on the Gear VR. No matter what I try I can't get Samsung to take my money. Did they say why? I'm left without other options at the moment. It's a massive disappointment. And I'm down 600 euro. What a waste.

Im the same, use to have everything apple, only switched for the gear vr. The guy on the phone said there is no one to sign for them in parcel motel, to which i told him there was... and he said he knew that but the head office to arrange despatches and stuff like that don't... Only short of flying to germany(Which I'm tempted to do) your kinda screwed tbh... If u think of anything or find anything, let me know please!!!!!!

Im the same, use to have everything apple, only switched for the gear vr. The guy on the phone said there is no one to sign for them in parcel motel, to which i told him there was... and he said he knew that but the head office to arrange despatches and stuff like that don't... Only short of flying to germany(Which I'm tempted to do) your kinda screwed tbh... If u think of anything or find anything, let me know please!!!!!!

I'll let you know if I find a loophole in Samsung obsessive mission not to sell it to us. I was hoping to get good value out of the note 4 and gear vr before the note 5 with the consumer gear vr edition is released. The Vive VR hmd could be here by Christmas anyway so come Note 5 time it may be worth holding out for Vive with also the incoming Oculus Rift and Sony Morpheus in 2016.

I've tried ordering one from Samsung UK anyway as I've heard of people having success with parcel motel. I'm at stage 3 now which is "order processed" the next stage is "preparing for dispatch" and then "dispatched". How far did you get in the buying process?

I've tried ordering one from Samsung UK anyway as I've heard of people having success with parcel motel. I'm at stage 3 now which is "order processed" the next stage is "preparing for dispatch" and then "dispatched". How far did you get in the buying process?

It was at the order processing, and that was from 31st of Jan until early march. Was it in stock when you ordered??

It was at the order processing, and that was from 31st of Jan until early march. Was it in stock when you ordered??

I ordered it last Tuesday. On Saturday morning I got an email from them saying apologies for the delay because my shipping date has been moved. They didn't say when it has been moved to. My status still say "order processed". It was in stock when I ordered. You mentioned something about there not being someone to sign for it at Parcel Motel dispatch? Do you gather that it will not be possible for Samsung to pass on the Gear VR to Parcel Motel and that my attempt is futile?

I ordered it last Tuesday. On Saturday morning I got an email from them saying apologies for the delay because my shipping date has been moved. They didn't say when it has been moved to. My status still say "order processed". It was in stock when I ordered. You mentioned something about there not being someone to sign for it at Parcel Motel dispatch? Do you gather that it will not be possible for Samsung to pass on the Gear VR to Parcel Motel and that my attempt is futile?

I hope its not, but feel that it may be futile.. When the agent on the phone said to me about not sending to parcel motel due to no one being there to sign for it, i told him i had laptops shipped via Parcel Motel and signed for. He said the agents know this but its the head office problem. Could be alot of crap from him, but find it weird that he arranged a refund for me immediately.

Same thing happened with shipping for me, and they gave me a 10% discount of a future purchase... which judging by there own information is a waste of time. I hope ya get it, if not we will arrange a 1 day shopping trip to berlin!!

Lol

Dave

I hope its not, but feel that it may be futile.. When the agent on the phone said to me about not sending to parcel motel due to no one being there to sign for it, i told him i had laptops shipped via Parcel Motel and signed for. He said the agents know this but its the head office problem. Could be alot of crap from him, but find it weird that he arranged a refund for me immediately.

Same thing happened with shipping for me, and they gave me a 10% discount of a future purchase... which judging by there own information is a waste of time. I hope ya get it, if not we will arrange a 1 day shopping trip to berlin!!

Lol

Dave

Hopefully I'll stay below their radar and slip through their net. Samsung sure like playing hard to get. I'll play the waiting game for another 2 weeks before I pop my head up and tell them an Irish man wants it from which they'll quickly shut down the order.

I haven't been on a holiday in ages. I'm going to book Berlin for April if this is a failure. You can buy in store over there?

Cian

• Advertisement

Hopefully I'll stay below their radar and slip through their net. Samsung sure like playing hard to get. I'll play the waiting game for another 2 weeks before I pop my head up and tell them an Irish man wants it from which they'll quickly shut down the order.

I haven't been on a holiday in ages. I'm going to book Berlin for April if this is a failure. You can buy in store over there?

Cian

Yeah when i checked Samsung Germany, and show local retailer which stocks it, there was at least 100 shops around berlin so if u went on a mission id be 98% sure saying you would succeed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 fiddyfive

I dunno if anyone here realises it but when you get the Gear VR it won't work in Ireland. I got mine today from America off ebay and paid nicely for it too, but it's only now I understand that the phone needs a firmware update from 3 to allow it to work. That explains why you can't buy it here yet.

I'm not sure where to get the firmware or if installing a different one will brick the phone. Load of bollcks. I'm looking at a €300+ paper weight sitting next to me.

If you install a firmware not 'authorised' by the network carrier will it do damage?

fiddyfive wrote: »
    I dunno if anyone here realises it but when you get the Gear VR it won't work in Ireland. I got mine today from America off ebay and paid nicely for it too, but it's only now I understand that the phone needs a firmware update from 3 to allow it to work. That explains why you can't buy it here yet.

I'm not sure where to get the firmware or if installing a different one will brick the phone. Load of bollcks. I'm looking at a €300+ paper weight sitting next to me.

If you install a firmware not 'authorised' by the network carrier will it do damage?

I have installed the firmware which is the lollipop from sammobile on my three note 4 and can confirm no problems... easy enough 2 do.. and the services included in the update gear vr service

Any issues doing it send me a PM and ill guide ya through it

Can I ask you, did you have to pay import fees??

dpjmie

Can I ask you, did you have to pay import fees??

dpjmie
    Sorry I've actually got it to work now. Turned out that despite my numerous attempts the connection wasn't being made perfectly with it, but I got the hang of it and everything has started up and installed etc.

Ya dpjmie I got a last minute message from DHL for paying customs and vat on it close to €60. Wasn't expecting it but when you consider someone pays €300 for what is essentially a bit of plastic with two small lenses on it what's another €60...took only 3 days to get here from America which is incredible.

As far as the Gear VR goes..I'm very disappointed. The resolution is horrible and the thing itself isn't comfortable enough. Has fogging issues as well. It seems my nose must be bigger than average because the tip of it gets pressed up against it. The pixels are extremely easy to see. I have the Sony HMZ-T1 which is 720p and I expected the 1440p of the note4 to make a huge difference, unfortunetly not. The VR is smooth though and to be fair it's awesome looking around especially in the cinema.

Early days and I might grow to love it but I don't think so. Unless the Oculus rift comes in 4k I might even avoid it as well. VR is just too pixelated right now.

Sorry I've actually got it to work now. Turned out that despite my numerous attempts the connection wasn't being made perfectly with it, but I got the hang of it and everything has started up and installed etc.

Ya dpjmie I got a last minute message from DHL for paying customs and vat on it close to €60. Wasn't expecting it but when you consider someone pays €300 for what is essentially a bit of plastic with two small lenses on it what's another €60...took only 3 days to get here from America which is incredible.

As far as the Gear VR goes..I'm very disappointed. The resolution is horrible and the thing itself isn't comfortable enough. Has fogging issues as well. It seems my nose must be bigger than average because the tip of it gets pressed up against it. The pixels are extremely easy to see. I have the Sony HMZ-T1 which is 720p and I expected the 1440p of the note4 to make a huge difference, unfortunetly not. The VR is smooth though and to be fair it's awesome looking around especially in the cinema.

Early days and I might grow to love it but I don't think so. Unless the Oculus rift comes in 4k I might even avoid it as well. VR is just too pixelated right now.

Well if your looking 2 sell it :) I might oblige lol

60 import fees is a tad excessive.... must have cost u 360 and release in may/June has the price at €229.

After 9 days since ordering I received an automated reply that my "order has been cancelled at your request". I hadn't cancelled it. 5 days in I was told my shipping order had changed. I rang them up and was told that they don't deliver to Parcel Motel as they've had problems with nobody to sign for them, as you said.

I got an email from PayPal saying the money has been refunded back into the card I paid with. And it hasn't gone in. I thought it should be automatic. Anyway, hopefully this won't be another problem.

After 9 days since ordering I received an automated reply that my "order has been cancelled at your request". I hadn't cancelled it. 5 days in I was told my shipping order had changed. I rang them up and was told that they don't deliver to Parcel Motel as they've had problems with nobody to sign for them, as you said.

I got an email from PayPal saying the money has been refunded back into the card I paid with. And it hasn't gone in. I thought it should be automatic. Anyway, hopefully this won't be another problem.

It takes a few days 2-4 to appear in your account but if u check your PayPal transaction info you can see the value being credited to your PayPal account and then debited as it get withdrawn to your payment method

Dave

It takes a few days 2-4 to appear in your account but if u check your PayPal transaction info you can see the value being credited to your PayPal account and then debited as it get withdrawn to your payment method

Dave

I found that info. Thanks Dave. Looks like Berlin is on : )

Cian

• Advertisement

I've calmed down a bit after coming home from work and trying it again. It is fun and if you accept that this is where Vr is at the moment with no improvements in the near future then sitting in the cinema with terrible resolution is..ok..so I'll be keeping it I think.

One thing I've realised is that memories in general are a bit low resolution - so the next day having after having been in the VR space in the locations like venice etc. it does feel a bit like you were actually there - which is cool.

Now if only they could get two hot women to sit next to you in the cinema that would be great!

Mobilefun.ie are a Samsung authorised retailer. On their website they say the Gear VR is due in stock in 2-4 days. It may be finally happening after all : )

Turns out Mobilefun are a scam site. They changed the Gear VR stock status to due in 2-3 weeks from due in 2-5 days. I've been really foolish in my absolute desperation to get hold of a Gear VR. The Internet has similar stories of people ordering products from this site and they've not got delivered and there's been no refund and also a close down of communication to the "customer". I'm down 250 euro after this sting. At least it's not as bad as the sting from Samsung where they said they were going to release the Gear VR to the public, off the back of which I blew 600 euro on a Note 4.

They promptly paid me back my money the day after I emailed them. They're not as bad a company as I thought. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

They said the reason the Gear VR wasn't coming in at the expected time was due to a manufacturing problem with Samsung. Maybe in 3 weeks if they confirm it in stock I'll try again.

The struggle to own the mightily elusive Gear VR goes on.

I've no doubt on the next occasion perchance to buy the Gear VR Samsung will come up with another scheme to avoid selling it at all costs.

I've booked a flight to Berlin in June. Going to have you my precious.

Come June it will be only 4-5 months to Note 5 time and consumer Gear VR, and Vive/VR for sure not long after that and hopefully Oculus too. But I'm a tad obsessed.

Been having some fun with the GearVR since getting it - specifically with the VR porn they're making now. It's all kicking off with just one small site providing it but there's going to be an absolute explosion of pornvr when the consumer occulus rift gets released. Even with the ****ty GearVR resolution having a girl up close to your face with the perfect 3d depth is cool. First time I paid for porn in many years, lol.

• Advertisement

Been having some fun with the GearVR since getting it - specifically with the VR porn they're making now. It's all kicking off with just one small site providing it but there's going to be an absolute explosion of pornvr when the consumer occulus rift gets released. Even with the ****ty GearVR resolution having a girl up close to your face with the perfect 3d depth is cool. First time I paid for porn in many years, lol.

That sounds delicious. Regular 2d BBW, big butt porn gets me hard as a rock. Can't wait to lose myself in vr porn. The dopamine hit will be more addictive than crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If anyone is after one the s6/s6edge version is in stock on amazon.es Spain
    And the note 4 version is in stock on amazon.de Germany, each one is €199 + about €7 delivery.

Cheapest place I can see them in stock, no chance of duty as it's all within the EU
    Both have amazon as the seller.

Note 5 is supposedly same screen as the note 4, so I wouldn't expect the current gear vr to become redundant even if a consumer version is released for it.
    All the ones released at the moment are innovator editions.

Samsung announcement on Thursday, maybe something new in the gear vr but not so sure it'll be anything radical on the vr front.

And the Note 5 isn't releasing in Europe. Samsung strikes again. I'm not disappointed this time by Samsung's last minute whipping away of a new product like they did with the innovator edition Gear VR. I'm still bitter about that. The Note 5 is underwhelming. No 4k screen and the design of the note 4 with its tactile faux leather back is much nicer to the touch and eye that the Note 5's glass imo. I wonder what will happen with the consumer Gear VR now? It would be typical of Samsung not to release it globally too. All the focus on Notes may have been in vain. Interesting tweet from Carmack, https://mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/632233609374490624
    Perhaps this could be a dedicated VR phone upping the lowend mobile experience to something more exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

If anyone is after one the s6/s6edge version is in stock on amazon.es Spain
    And the note 4 version is in stock on amazon.de Germany, each one is €199 + about €7 delivery.

Cheapest place I can see them in stock, no chance of duty as it's all within the EU
    Both have amazon as the seller.

Note 5 is supposedly same screen as the note 4, so I wouldn't expect the current gear vr to become redundant even if a consumer version is released for it.
    All the ones released at the moment are innovator editions.

Samsung announcement on Thursday, maybe something new in the gear vr but not so sure it'll be anything radical on the vr front.

Hi does the Amazon DE work. I logged in with my UK account which posts to my Irish address and it said it couldn't send the item to my address.. Newb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

In case anyone is thinking about buying a GearVR then you should probably wait for the announcements from Oculus Connect (23-25th of September).

Straight form the horse's mouth:
    https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/632233609374490624

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    Hi does the Amazon DE work. I logged in with my UK account which posts to my Irish address and it said it couldn't send the item to my address.. Newb!

Samsung have made effective measures to ensure GearVR innovator edition is not mailed here. I've given up months ago. The consumer version is so close there's no point in ordering the innovator edition at stage anyway. Brace for disappointment once again though. Samsung continue to twist the knife. Knowing Samsung I wouldn't be surprised if the consumer version will be partially distributed too with enforcement to ensure it can't reach outside worthy marketplaces. Who would have thought Note 5 wouldn't even be in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Thanks for the info guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Samsung have made effective measures to ensure GearVR innovator edition is not mailed here. I've given up months ago. The consumer version is so close there's no point in ordering the innovator edition at stage anyway. Brace for disappointment once again though. Samsung continue to twist the knife. Knowing Samsung I wouldn't be surprised if the consumer version will be partially distributed too with enforcement to ensure it can't reach outside worthy marketplaces. Who would have thought Note 5 wouldn't even be in Europe.

What are the differences with the retail version?

I'm thinking of one to use with my Note 4 , is the retail version going to have interchangeable clips for different phones or whats the story?

Are there any differences or any different versions of the innovator edition? Will one bought in Korea or the US work fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You need the pick the right one, note 4 and s6/edge editions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You need the pick the right one, note 4 and s6/edge editions.

Knew about the note 4 bit alright. There's nothing electronic in it that's regions specific or anything though is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

So they've announced the release of the next Gear VR the real consumer model. $99 on black Friday so I guess that will translate to before christmas over here. would be nice if it was €99 here (or less).

http://gizmodo.com/the-100-samsung-gear-vr-is-going-to-change-everything-1732960393

I've been holding off upgrading my S4 to see what the phones the consumer VR would support so its the S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge+ and Note 5.

The note 5 is not being released here for some reason so I might just get an S6, not really sold on the curved screen! S6 Edge+ has bigger screen but same resolution as the S6 so guess it won't make any difference to the VR quality.

The note 5 is not being released here for some reason so I might just get an S6, not really sold on the curved screen! S6 Edge+ has bigger screen but same resolution as the S6 so guess it won't make any difference to the VR quality.

I've been holding off upgrading my S4 to see what the phones the consumer VR would support so its the S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge+ and Note 5.

As someone stated earlier that the note 4 and note 5 use the same screen does that mean the consumer vr is gonna be usable with the note 4

TIA
    Dpjmie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Turns out Mobilefun are a scam site. They changed the Gear VR stock status to due in 2-3 weeks from due in 2-5 days. I've been really foolish in my absolute desperation to get hold of a Gear VR. The Internet has similar stories of people ordering products from this site and they've not got delivered and there's been no refund and also a close down of communication to the "customer". I'm down 250 euro after this sting. At least it's not as bad as the sting from Samsung where they said they were going to release the Gear VR to the public, off the back of which I blew 600 euro on a Note 4.

I think their customer service is poor but I don't think they are a scam site. I have ordered numerous spigen and other branded cases from them with no issue. And even returned one under distance selling. I know numerous people who have used their site with no issue either. Surely if they didn't refund you, you had paypal protection or could have initiated a chargeback on your card for non delivery of items ?

Flaccus wrote: »
    I think their customer service is poor but I don't think they are a scam site. I have ordered numerous spigen and other branded cases from them with no issue. And even returned one under distance selling. I know numerous people who have used their site with no issue either. Surely if they didn't refund you, you had paypal protection or could have initiated a chargeback on your card for non delivery of items ?

I wouldn't deal with that company again. They took my money off me for an innovator Gear VR. It turned out afterwards that they never had it stock in the first place and weren't able to order it in. It left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Well played Samsung, well played. You knocked me on the ground (not releasing Gear VR in most of Europe including Ireland after I specifically bought a Note 4 for innovator edition Gear VR last year), kicked me when I was down (refusing to deliver innovator Gear VR to Ireland or sell on third party sites), pissed on my face (not releasing Note 5 in Europe), kicked dirt into pissed on face (Note4 not compatible with the Gear VR consumer version, forcing one to buy a S6)

After all this mental anguish and toying with my emotions from Samsung I am going to sit out this generation of Gear VR and hold out for Oculus's and Vive's VR solutions on PC. Oculus have said they are releasing in first quarter of 2016, but calm those butterflies. No doubt this will be a roll out to the "American market" first and we'll be lucky to see anything from Oculus by summer. Vive on the other hand which have just as a good a product if not better due to its full room tracking could be available to us in the first quarter of next year. They are rolling out a finished product to select customers and devs before the end of this year.

Playing devil's advocate, it may not be such a bad thing that Note 4 is left behind now. The newer phones are more powerful and it's not a good thing to have mobile VR progress slowed down due to inferior tech.

• Advertisement
Advertisement