Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renovating an old house

• 29-01-2015 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi everyone
    Bit of a random question, but I'm looking into purchasing an old house and renovating it. It hasn't been lived in for 30 years and I know it had some flood damage a few years back.

Has anyone a kind of checklist they could add to on here that would give me guidance on the kind of things to look out for when inspecting the house e.g doors, walls, windows, ceilings, light sockets, insulation (if any), roofing problems, floorboards and floors in general etc...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Engage a good structural engineer, it may be expensive but it will save you thousands in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 36 damolee

Any good recommendations for a structural engineer in Co Limk? What kind of a report will they create?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rjphouse

Did any one get back to you with advice? I am planning on doing similar in an old 2 story stone house that hasn't been lived in for at least 10 years also in co limerick. I'm not really sure where to start I assume we need an architect as also plan to extend but it's making the main house habitable and comfortable and dry, ideally well insulated that I'm not sure who is the best person to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Arc solutions

Engage with a registered architect, especially one that has experience with older buildings. Better to get good advise at this stage than ending up with a compromised solution. Most architects will charge a small dominal fee and some will even do it for free.

Advertisement