Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite cream

• 29-01-2015 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

I've only been using proraso pre shave and shave cream up to this point. I'm wondering what other brands you would recommend or should I just stick with proraso?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Hey lads,

I've only been using proraso pre shave and shave cream up to this point. I'm wondering what other brands you would recommend or should I just stick with proraso?

Thanks

Proraso is fantastic, Geo. F. Trumpers stuff is very good as is Taylor's of old bond street, those and proraso would be my go to brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Cyril Salter make excellent creams. They are generally overlooked by many for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Cella, http://www.shaving.ie/products/cella-shaving-cream.html or one of the Taylors of old Bond street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I find it depends a lot on your water, and perhaps a little on the brush aswell. I've tried recommended creams and soaps but I've hard water at home so don't get great lather from some, yet others work quite well - so this might be worth bearing in mind. Body Shop maca root cream is great and fantastic value I've found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Thanks lads. One more question.

I've been doing this about a year now but my lather is still quite bad. I fill up a mug and leave the brush sitting in it for a few minutes. Then I empty the mug and shake off a lot of the water in the brush. I put in a bit of cream and start lathering but the lather is runny and has lots of bubbles in it, despite me shaking most of the water off the brush.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Too wet a brush, too little cream?

You can shake out all the water from the brush so there is no excess and try using a little more cream. Your formula will start out very drink but you're building it then add a few drops of water to loosen it up as required.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Too wet a brush, too little cream?

You can shake out all the water from the brush so there is no excess and try using a little more cream. Your formula will start out very drink but you're building it then add a few drops of water to loosen it up as required.

Thanks man, I've been trying to do it the way mantic59 does but I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong.

I'll try your way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Are you in a hard water area? Hard water can create challenges for creating a good lather.

To determine if water is a factor, you could use some distilled water and try soaking and lathering with that.

Synthetic brushes are also known to be better at lathering with hard water e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxwHHEwIUzQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Thanks lads. One more question.

I've been doing this about a year now but my lather is still quite bad. I fill up a mug and leave the brush sitting in it for a few minutes. Then I empty the mug and shake off a lot of the water in the brush. I put in a bit of cream and start lathering but the lather is runny and has lots of bubbles in it, despite me shaking most of the water off the brush.

Any ideas?

I shake my brush then give it a light squeeze too. This gets a lot of the water out, but not all.

So maybe try a drier brush. You can always add a few drops more water, but you can't take it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Fakman, as the guys above have said start out with a drier brush.
    If the lather is too paste like add the water a drop or two at a time to loosen it up.
    You may need to add a few drops, whisk it and add a couple more until you find the sweet spot.
    Once you nail the water to cream ratio it'll be much easier - until you change creams and need to start over!
    Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

dub_skav wrote: »
    I shake my brush then give it a light squeeze too. This gets a lot of the water out, but not all.

So maybe try a drier brush. You can always add a few drops more water, but you can't take it out.

+1 for the brush squeezing

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Major Dad

I got a present of Proraso pre-shave cream (the white jar). But how are you meant to use it ? Do you rub it into your skin and then wet your face, or apply the shaving lather straight onto the pre-shave cream?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MetalBren

Major Dad wrote: »
    I got a present of Proraso pre-shave cream (the white jar). But how are you meant to use it ? Do you rub it into your skin and then wet your face, or apply the shaving lather straight onto the pre-shave cream?
    Cheers

I just rub it onto my face when I'm done shaving. Its quite a pleasant feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Major Dad wrote: »
    Cheers

After washing my face warm water I rub it in and then put the cream over. I only use it for the first pass though. It works great from me.

Started using Taylors of Old Bond Street and finally, after over a year of de shaving I got my first really good lather. I've been using proraso up to this point but could never get a good lather with it for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

TOBS Eton College is a nice olde worlde scent. Can't beat Razorock soaps though IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bought TOBS St James collection today to return to shaving. Lovely and great lather. Always liked TOBS

Advertisement