Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car seats not fitted?

Options
  • 29-01-2015 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I recently stopped into a free rsa seat test area to have my car seats checked. And lucky i did. While i thought we had fitted the seats proper it turned out we hadnt. So he fixed them for me and all was grand. But he asked me if where we bought it had fitted it.

Now i had asked at the time could someone come and fit it for me. I was heavily pregnant at the time and Couldnt do it. Had to bring it out and have oh fit it later. But it was shocking.

People are driving around thinkin their kids are safe having fitted them themselves, when they actually arent. Shouldnt there be a law stating that sellers/suppliers of child seats have to have a trained fitter on hand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

We bought our car seat in Tony Kealy's and it was fitted for us before we drove off. It's one of the reasons we bought it there. We also bought the next car seat up from them and that was fitted too. I wouldn't have been comfortable doing it ourselves tbh.

I'm due baby number 2 and we're going to ask them to put the newborn car seat back in the car for us, just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Thats fantastic. And how it should be. Just a pity its not standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I wouldn't have a clue how to fit our car seats. I know that sounds bad. We bought ours in mothercare and they were very good at putting them in for us and fitting them correctly. They've done on for all our seats. If they hadn't I wouldn't have bought from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I think another thing is that a number of people are putting kids with coats on etc with the car seats or/and are not pulling the harness tight enough. You would want to see how the midwives in holles st put our baby into the car seat :eek: we were totally clueless! I will never forget how Prince George was in his car seat when he left hospital!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-george/10747821/Prince-Georges-car-seat-prompts-protests-in-New-Zealand.html

I was in Holles Street a few weeks ago for a appointment with the dietician and there was a couple with a newborn baby putting her in her car seat in a big, thick snow suit.

They couldn't get her in tight enough and spent ages fussing around with it in front of where I was waiting. I itched to tell them it would be better to have her in lighter clothes and then use blankets etc but I didn't want to be that person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

isofix - it's yer only man! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Millem wrote: »
    I think another thing is that a number of people are putting kids with coats on etc with the car seats or/and are not pulling the harness tight enough. You would want to see how the midwives in holles st put our baby into the car seat :eek: we were totally clueless! I will never forget how Prince George was in his car seat when he left hospital!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-george/10747821/Prince-Georges-car-seat-prompts-protests-in-New-Zealand.html

Omg I never saw that picture before. That is unreal!

Treadhead wrote: »
    isofix - it's yer only man! ;)

Both our car seats are isofix - I still wanted them fitted by someone trained to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Rented a car in the states - paid extra (a lot) for baby seat - they wouldnt fit - you had do it yourself.

insurance reasons they said.

so watch out for that if you are travelling - best know how to do it yourself just in case.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTFM as they say, RTFM, if you can't don't transport your offspring in you car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tony kealys also fit seats bought elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Mothercare, smyths and halfords all fit car seats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

As someone else said fitting seats was the reason we bought in Kealys. We have extended rear facing seats and they spent ages fitting them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I never heard of the no coats/padded suits in car seats thing til I read it here a few months ago ( having had my nov born daughter in a snow suit in the car for basically the first six months). I bought my pram and group 0 car seat in eurobaby. It's not listed in the booklet that came with it nor did any of the staff comment on it. A good friend recently had a baby and I mentioned it to her - she also had never heard of it. Neither had my sister who lives abroad. While I completely get the sense of it and try not to puta padded coat on her now unless unavoidable, I'm wondering why the information isn't more prevalent? If I wasn't addicted to boards I wouldn't have heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

i never knew about the coats/snowsuit thing until recently but i never done it anyway. tried it once and my daughter just looked so bulked up and uncomfortable so always used blankets. our seats were fitted in halford for us . the lady fitting went through loads of safety details and showed me how to do it. i then had to sign a form to confirm she done all that with me. she even had OH try to fit one of the seats so he would know how. (i had baba in sling so i couldnt) .

OH works as a panel beater. he is the only one in the garage with young kids. he is asked at least twice a week to fit a car seat as the parents dont know how. i think thats appaling. they are letting a complete stranger with little experience fit their seats. most of the time they are simple enough but he normally does a quick you tube if its one he has never done before.

ozmo wrote: »
    Rented a car in the states - paid extra (a lot) for baby seat - they wouldnt fit - you had do it yourself.

so watch out for that if you are travelling - best know how to do it yourself just in case.

We've been given a broken car seat as well - when we rented a car in France they gave us two broken car seats before I got stroppy with them and a third, decent seat was produced. Just a heads up to take a good look at the car seats you're given too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

If you are stuck and need to fit the seat yourself - Google the car seat name and 'kiddicare'. They have excellent videos online giving step by step tutorials for fitting seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

This is the problem. The rsa is advertising all about bikes, speeding, drink driving, but never about the proper way to use car seats. I think it really needs to be addressed by the rsa and soon.

I bought all my seats in ken blacks which is supposed to be smyths and they would never fit them for us. There should be legislation brought in that you have to have a licence and fitter to sell or supply these seats.

I Didnt know about the coats and stuff on the children. Thats a big eye opener. And more issues that should be addressed by the rsa!

trixychic wrote: »
    This is the problem. The rsa is advertising all about bikes, speeding, drink driving, but never about the proper way to use car seats. I think it really needs to be addressed by the rsa and soon.

I bought all my seats in ken blacks which is supposed to be smyths and they would never fit them for us. There should be legislation brought in that you have to have a licence and fitter to sell or supply these seats.

I Didnt know about the coats and stuff on the children. Thats a big eye opener. And more issues that should be addressed by the rsa!

Agreed! I've asked for advice on various things in smyths before and to be honest I don't think I would trust some of the staff any more than myself to fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Do tony Kealys only sell seats for babies?

I'd like to get somebody properly qualified to assess my current car seats and make sure they are the right size for my 6 and 4 year old.

Preferably not just to make a sale!

• Advertisement

Do tony Kealys only sell seats for babies?

I'd like to get somebody properly qualified to assess my current car seats and make sure they are the right size for my 6 and 4 year old.

Preferably not just to make a sale!

I think they do seats for all ages from what I remember.

When we went in to get the second car seat for our son they told us we should wait another 2/3 months if we could because it would be safer. They were more concerned with his safety than making a sale as far as we could tell. The seat we wanted was actually on sale at the time so they let us put a deposit down to ensure we got it at the reduced price and come back in 2/3 months to pay the test and pick it up. I was definitely pleaded with the service

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The seats we currently have should last until four years and they do booster seats so I'd presume they do provide advice for older children. I always felt there was no sales pressure with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

ozmo wrote: »

Same happened to us in France last year.
    The rental companies won't fit them. Its your responsibility

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

The rsa do address these issues, that's why they have the check it fits car seat events every week in different parts of the country. Moral of the story is do not buy a car seat you from somewhere that won't fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Woshy wrote: »
    I think they do seats for all ages from what I remember.

When we went in to get the second car seat for our son they told us we should wait another 2/3 months if we could because it would be safer. They were more concerned with his safety than making a sale as far as we could tell. The seat we wanted was actually on sale at the time so they let us put a deposit down to ensure we got it at the reduced price and come back in 2/3 months to pay the test and pick it up. I was definitely pleaded with the service

We had the same experience in Tony Kealys. Smiths had said 'yeah it'll fit grand in your car', but I wasn't convinced so went to Tony Kealys and they actually tried to install it in the car and said it was pushing the safe boundaries and If it was their child they wouldn't buy it. Then they recommended a seat that was cheaper than the one we wanted so wasn't just a sales racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I had out two seats refitted by mothercare before Christmas: I knew they weren't right, and there was an rsa roadshow on: both seats were incorrectly fitted. He told me I should complain: and that the mothercare seat I had for my two year old was particularly badly fitted. He also said it's not the first time he's seen it with seats fitted there.

What he also said was my in car DVD player was one of two brands that was crash tested not something I had ever thought of!

Ginny wrote: »
    The rsa do address these issues, that's why they have the check it fits car seat events every week in different parts of the country. Moral of the story is do not buy a car seat you from somewhere that won't fit it.

To be fair though because they've to go to all parts of the country it could be only in your particular area once or twice a year. I will go out of my way to find one ASAP but when they're not advertised it's difficult. I'd say for most people they happen to stumble across the check points rather than make a conscious effort to seek them out - which more people would be able to do if they were advertised more. Also they do run those ads on telly about safe cycling and using roundabouts etc so why not run one on the importance of checking your cat seats are fitted right and how kids should be clothed when using them?

Just out of interest - for those of you whose seats were incorrectly fitted, what was the cause? Was it easily fixed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

kandr10 wrote: »
    To be fair though because they've to go to all parts of the country it could be only in your particular area once or twice a year. I will go out of my way to find one ASAP but when they're not advertised it's difficult. I'd say for most people they happen to stumble across the check points rather than make a conscious effort to seek them out - which more people would be able to do if they were advertised more. Also they do run those ads on telly about safe cycling and using roundabouts etc so why not run one on the importance of checking your cat seats are fitted right and how kids should be clothed when using them?

Just out of interest - for those of you whose seats were incorrectly fitted, what was the cause? Was it easily fixed?

Totally agree. I never even knew about these check events until I read it here. Never heard of them.

Cyning, thanks for the mothercare alert! Looks like I'm going to have to get mine rechecked.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

The schedule is on the rsa site and they post where they'll be most weeks on facebook.

Afaik they are actually contractors too, so I think some come from Tony Kealys, with Tony Kealys I'm nearly sure you can go and get them to check your seat too. Mothercare also do a check it fits event. Althoughagain I wouldn't be too trusting with MC, as I have Erf seats and not many places have a clue about them.

• Advertisement

Advertisement