Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car seats not fitted?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Ginny wrote: »
    Moral of the story is do not buy a car seat you from somewhere that won't fit it.

I would say it much better to be informed and do it your-self than trust some potential random student part-timer staff member to do it.

Passengers occasionally press the wrong seat belt eject button getting out - so you would be stuck then if you didn't know how to reseat it.

I'm afraid but I think this might be one of those - read the manual - times - often its a sticker or booklet attached to the side of the seat.
    The Non-ISO seat can be tricky the first few times to get it right but the ISOFix ones are not difficult.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

The AA did a piece on car seats too a few months ago- how to fit and about your child etc. Good video, should be online somewhere.

I read about the coats before actually on a advertisement for car seat blankets - a bio-hazard suit for around the car seat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

The rsa do address these issues, that's why they have the check it fits car seat events every week in different parts of the country. Moral of the story is do not buy a car seat you from somewhere that won't fit it.

The problem with this and other car seat info is you have to actively go searching for the information. Unfortunately there are alot of parents/child minders/relatives who wouldnt even think of it. They have a car seat job done. It needs to be advertised on television for the majority of people to watch it, and get interested and involved.

As for my seats? I had read the manuals on both. I had the older lads one fit correct, belt over the shoulder. The younger lads one was just too loose. I thought i had followed every step and had it in as tight as i thought i could get it. I was very wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Moral of the story is do not buy a car seat you from somewhere that won't fit it.

It's a good idea learn to do it yourself, isofix ones are pretty straightforward and the manuals are usually detailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I had my first seat installed with the company I bought if from, but there was a problem with my fuel pump and the seat had to come out so I learned to for my own seat with the manual and YouTube (britaxfirst class).

I wouldn't like to see a rule brought in limiting sales to places that fit as friends have had to order seats for hip dysplasia and extended rear facing from abroad, that rule would limit choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ozmo wrote: »
    I would say it much better to be informed and do it your-self than trust some potential random student part-timer staff member to do it.

That's a bit rich. Tony Kealy's staff are contracted by the RSA to give the car seat fitting demonstrations and do the training nationally. It's not some pack of random students.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I do think that parents should familiarise themselves with how its correctly fitted. You don't know that someone in the back seat might mistakenly click the wrong buckle release - the one on the car seat rather than their own. If you are not familiar, you might not notice if something comes loose or unclicked.

pwurple wrote: »
    That's a bit rich. Tony Kealy's staff are contracted by the RSA to give the car seat fitting demonstrations and do the training nationally. It's not some pack of random students.

I dont think its "a bit rich" at all. That may be true for the shop tony kealys (and for the record i am living in Carlow and have never heard of the place.) but there are so many other shops selling or supplying car seats that do not have any staff qualified for fitting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

pwurple wrote: »

Do not get me started on Tony kealys staff and car seats!! They told me it's fine place a supporting leg on top of an underfloor storage compartment (as long as I removed the lid). I checked with manufacturer and they said absolutely not :(

The supporting leg is the thing that is on an isofix base on a baby car seat or a leg on an ERF seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

By relying on others to fit your seat without knowing yourself, your putting your child's safety entirely in the hands of a stranger.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    By relying on others to fit your seat without knowing yourself, your putting your child's safety entirely in the hands of a stranger.

I do agree. If the rsa had adverts on showing how to put them in your self proper. And more importantly the "what not to do's" i think i would feel better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

ozmo wrote: »

Too right. I know someone who did car seat fittings as part of his job for 11 months before a customer complained about a bad fit and he was sent for training. He'd never had a clue how to do it and was just taking a guess without putting any thought into how important it was. He was doing it completely wrong for the best part of a year and even now says he's not really 100% on how to do it.

My seat is the Duologic which can be either isofix or seatbelt and neither is tricky to fit. The car we had when S was born didn't have isofix so when I was pregnant I found that Graco has youtube videos outlining both ways to fit it. I spent ages watching them before fitting the seat, which I did for the first time with the laptop in the car so I could go through it step by step. It's connected by isofix now, which is faster to fit but if I put it in a different car for any reason it's really straightforward to change. That said the Duologic is known for being especially easy to fit, when he goes past 18kg and I need to get an ERF seat that's good to 25kg I may find it more difficult. But tbh, ERF is so rare in this country that I'm wary of trusting anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 OrionA

Ive only ever had Isofix seats and tbh wouldnt have anything else. There is no badly fitted. Its either fitted or its not and theres an indicator to tell you it is so very simple. I'm actually buying my Group 2-3 seats at the moment and again will be going for Isofix for this

Advertisement