Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to get an electric shower fitted?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,027 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hi guys, I have a mixer shower, tank fed, pressure is awful. What is the best electric shower I could buy to replace it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,994 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Triton t90sr silent shower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

It's maybe worth seeing why the pressure is so low. You might not need to replace with an electric shower. Supply and fit will be expensive. And electricity prices are expensive so you can't run the electric shower from the hot water tank that was potentially heated with cheap night time rate electricity. Maybe that's not an issue for you.

Was it always like that on every prior pumped shower? Or is this one new and problem wasn't there before? Could be a blockage in the shower restricting water.

When you run the shower using cold water is the pressure ok, but then drops when you turn up the temperature?

You could contact the manufacture and explain the issue and ask if they can suggest a solution. Might be a part that needs to get replaced or a change to the shower in some way.

I'd suggest a Google search looking at troubleshooting tips for a pumped shower with low pressure. I won't pretend to know how to troubleshoot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,027 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thanks but I think you misunderstood, I have just a mixer tap and shower head off that. Pressure is low cold or hot, no pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

So you want a shower to be stronger water pressure when water comes out?

One solution is to install a booster pump, usually put in the hot press and plumbed into the hot and cold pipes to the bathroom. It's straight forward to wire in a booster pump here than for installing an electric shower in bathroom. Plumber can easily fit these pumps by adjusting/adding the pipes etc. Another advantage is that all the water to the bathroom will be higher pressure not just shower head which runs from the mixer tap in your case, but also the wash basin taps and also the toilet will fill up quicker aswell as the hot water to the kitchen sink. (btw is the mixer tap which the shower runs off is it in a bath or in a shower?)

Eg Grundfos Scala2 pump is very quieter than the generic booster pumps that are common in apartments. But to fit the pump is dependent on having extra floor space in the hot press but it can be fitted elsewhere in the house. By installing a separate booster pump outside the bathroom the need to do any work in the bathroom is eliminated.

Other solution is install an electric shower in the bathroom but you need an electrician to run a cable from the fuse board to the bathroom as well as plumber to run a new pipe from the cold water tank in attic to the electric shower (as its recommended to provide the cold water supply to electric showers by this method although there's other shortcuts done but not recommended).

The difficult part is to be able to run the new pipe and electric cable through the wall/behind the wall tiles to the new shower.

Post edited by embracingLife on

• Advertisement
Advertisement