Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help please : tumour marker blood test re:cysts

Options
  • 29-01-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all
    My story: currently made a start for ivf with icsi until my first internal scan discovered a cyst on left and right ovary. They did tumour marker blood tests. They came back fine except for one. Ca19.9 came back high. Consultant said she didnt under why they did that test as its nothing to do with them and it relates to bowel. I was told to go to my own gp about it. Gp did test again and its double what it should be. So now im being referred to a private hospital for urgent appointment. Im just terrified i have cancer now, im so scared. im expecting a ct scan and colonscopy with this referral.
    I due to have a laparoscopy in 2 weeks and straight into ivf.
    Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭starlight1

Bvon wrote: »
    Hi all
    My story: currently made a start for ivf with icsi until my first internal scan discovered a cyst on left and right ovary. They did tumour marker blood tests. They came back fine except for one. Ca19.9 came back high. Consultant said she didnt under why they did that test as its nothing to do with them and it relates to bowel. I was told to go to my own gp about it. Gp did test again and its double what it should be. So now im being referred to a private hospital for urgent appointment. Im just terrified i have cancer now, im so scared. im expecting a ct scan and colonscopy with this referral.
    I due to have a laparoscopy in 2 weeks and straight into ivf.
    Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Hi Bvon,
    I don't know if I can shed any light exactly but from my experience some of the cancer markers can be raised with ovarian cysts. I had bloods done after a scan showed an ovarian cyst and my ca125 and ca 19.9 were both raised. I have endometriosis which I was told can also mean levels are raised. I was also very worried but in my case it turned out to be related to my cyst and endometriosis diagnosis which followed.

I know its easier said than done but try not to worry, hopefully appointment will be quick enough for you.

Are you under the care of a gynae or just the fertility clinic?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bvon

starlight1 wrote: »
    Hi Bvon,
    I don't know if I can shed any light exactly but from my experience some of the cancer markers can be raised with ovarian cysts. I had bloods done after a scan showed an ovarian cyst and my ca125 and ca 19.9 were both raised. I have endometriosis which I was told can also mean levels are raised. I was also very worried but in my case it turned out to be related to my cyst and endometriosis diagnosis which followed.

I know its easier said than done but try not to worry, hopefully appointment will be quick enough for you.

Are you under the care of a gynae or just the fertility clinic?

Hi Starlight
    thank you so much for the reply. I feel a bit of relief after hearing that.
    Im attending a fertility clinic in Dublin. At the welcome meeting they did a scan and found a cyst. I actually thought i was starting the fertility treatment that day. Instead i was sent home with a prescription for 2 decapeptyl injections to put me into a false menopause. I return start of jan and the cyst didnt change (3cm) . Scanned again and found a second cyst. Last friday night the consultatant phoned saying the ca19.9 relates to bowel and pancress is high. She asked me how i was feeling and was i bleeding from my bowels. I said i get tired but i have an under active thyroid. I dont notice anything wrong with my bowels. The head consultant of the fertility clinic performs operations in 2 private hospitals and he is going to do a laparoscopy and if something needs to be done he'll do it during surgery.
    On the 4th feb im seeing a consultant in Waterford Private hosp about my bowel and the 10th feb im having the laparoscopy in Dublin to see about cysts and if i have endometriosis. if i need a colonscopy there doesnt seem to be enough time between weds and the following tues with the preparation and procedure.
    id do anything for peace of mind and have my ivf.

Hi Starlight
    thank you so much for the reply. I feel a bit of relief after hearing that.
    Im attending a fertility clinic in Dublin. At the welcome meeting they did a scan and found a cyst. I actually thought i was starting the fertility treatment that day. Instead i was sent home with a prescription for 2 decapeptyl injections to put me into a false menopause. I return start of jan and the cyst didnt change (3cm) . Scanned again and found a second cyst. Last friday night the consultatant phoned saying the ca19.9 relates to bowel and pancress is high. She asked me how i was feeling and was i bleeding from my bowels. I said i get tired but i have an under active thyroid. I dont notice anything wrong with my bowels. The head consultant of the fertility clinic performs operations in 2 private hospitals and he is going to do a laparoscopy and if something needs to be done he'll do it during surgery.
    On the 4th feb im seeing a consultant in Waterford Private hosp about my bowel and the 10th feb im having the laparoscopy in Dublin to see about cysts and if i have endometriosis. if i need a colonscopy there doesnt seem to be enough time between weds and the following tues with the preparation and procedure.
    id do anything for peace of mind and have my ivf.

I know its frustrating when you feel ready to start IVF and then something comes along to delay it but just think you also want to have your body as well as it can be to give it more chance of success too so try to focus on that.

colonoscopy shouldn't take too much time to recover from so if that's before the laparoscopy I think it should be fine. I had colonoscopy in July-was dreading it but was absolutely grand! Was in work the next day with no problems and you usually get results on the day too so that's good.

I'll pm you now as not sure how much medical info we can share.

I know its frustrating when you feel ready to start IVF and then something comes along to delay it but just think you also want to have your body as well as it can be to give it more chance of success too so try to focus on that.

colonoscopy shouldn't take too much time to recover from so if that's before the laparoscopy I think it should be fine. I had colonoscopy in July-was dreading it but was absolutely grand! Was in work the next day with no problems and you usually get results on the day too so that's good.

I'll pm you now as not sure how much medical info we can share.

That is one way of looking at it, you are right. Suppose if i have to delay to make sure my body is ok what harm eh. just terrified its something serious.
    Did you, that is great to be back to work then. Did you take the day off the take the drinks before it? Results would be great, dont want anything going amiss.
    Sorry, i dont know much about this page
    thank you :)

That is one way of looking at it, you are right. Suppose if i have to delay to make sure my body is ok what harm eh. just terrified its something serious.
    Did you, that is great to be back to work then. Did you take the day off the take the drinks before it? Results would be great, dont want anything going amiss.
    Sorry, i dont know much about this page
    thank you :)

neither do I as I'm not much of a poster but I know there are some rules about medical advice so don't want to take a chance!

Luckily enough my colonoscopy was on a Monday so I took the prep on the Sunday when I was off. You definitely will need to take the day before off depending what time the prep starts at as it works very quickly and you will want to be close to a loo :o You are sedated during it so won't remember much/anything and they usually let you home an hour or so after. Doctor told me day of what the results are and I think that's usually the case.

• Advertisement

neither do I as I'm not much of a poster but I know there are some rules about medical advice so don't want to take a chance!

Luckily enough my colonoscopy was on a Monday so I took the prep on the Sunday when I was off. You definitely will need to take the day before off depending what time the prep starts at as it works very quickly and you will want to be close to a loo :o You are sedated during it so won't remember much/anything and they usually let you home an hour or so after. Doctor told me day of what the results are and I think that's usually the case.

Thank you so much, you are a great help.
    im trying not to miss work much as i can. keep thinking of needing days during the ivf.
    so glad they do sedate, i couldnt cope with being awake.

Thank you so much, you are a great help.
    im trying not to miss work much as i can. keep thinking of needing days during the ivf.
    so glad they do sedate, i couldnt cope with being awake.

no worries at all, I was grateful to find info when I was looking up things so glad to help.

Honestly I was dreading the colonoscopy but couldn't believe how okay it was..the prep the day before is worse than the procedure itself but completely manageable. Wherever you get it done will give you instructions as well beforehand so it gives you some information on what to expect.

Advertisement