Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jessica Jones [Netflix]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well, here's a proposal. How about we open 4 threads. One for episodes 1-3, one for 4-6, one for 7-9 and one for 8- finalé? That way you can discuss up to a point without threat of getting spoilt for further on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Just use spoilers and nothing will be ruined on anyone else...don't think 4 new threads are needed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just use spoilers and nothing will be ruined on anyone else...don't think 4 new threads are needed

Unlike other broadcast shows where at least there's a week-to-week mapping between episodes and discussion (so if you haven't watched episode 6 that aired this week, it's safe to say the thread is out of bounds 'til then), if everything's spoiler-texted for online shows then it makes it harder to discuss it as people watch, given there's more risk the grey text spoils a later point in the series. Seems to result in less chat about the shows too; binge watching doesn't feel like it endears itself to discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Bazatron

I thought Ritter would struggle with some of the more serious broody dialogue and it's the case. I like her but not sure she was the right choice for this. Rosario Dawson would have been perfect if she wasn't already in the Marvel uni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Bazatron wrote: »
    I thought Ritter would struggle with some of the more serious broody dialogue and it's the case. I like her but not sure she was the right choice for this. Rosario Dawson would have been perfect if she wasn't already in the Marvel uni.

4 eps in and I really like it. My wife thinks it's a lot better than daredevil, they're complete different types of show so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Bazatron wrote: »

I disagree. I previously didn't give Ritter much time but I think she's great in this. It would be redundant to praise Tennant cos he's so obviously great, so I'll move on. For me, Mike Coulter is the surprise. He's fantastic in this (5 eps in) and puts my fears of the upcoming Luke Cage show to bed. Great show so far. Lots of stuff borrowed from the comics but not much that impacts the main story arc, meaning it's free of slaving to the source material. Win win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ritter is fantastic I have to say.

I said in AoS thread that Marvel have been pretty spot on in there casting across the whole MCU and once again I think they nailed it here.

4 episodes in and can't wait till tomorrow to have a lazy Sunday bingeing the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think Ritter is the weak point tbh. Everyone else is great. Prefer Daredevil as a whole (more my type of show really) but this is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

Odd that, say,
    breaking Kilgrave's jaw
    wasn't discussed as an option.

I was waiting for
    Trish to get called a hellcat at some point
    . Surprised it didn't happen.
    For me, Mike Coulter is the surprise. He's fantastic in this (5 eps in) and puts my fears of the upcoming Luke Cage show to bed.

Gonna be interesting to see what it can offer since his role in this is a lot bigger than what I would have expected.

• Advertisement

^^I don't know how far in you are so I can't read your spoilered bits...

Agreed about Luke Cage. I thought he was gonna have a tiny walk-on part but it looks like we'll have an established character to work with. I assume they already have the season planned though!

^^I don't know how far in you are so I can't read your spoilered bits...

Agreed about Luke Cage. I thought he was gonna have a tiny walk-on part but it looks like we'll have an established character to work with. I assume they already have the season planned though!

The spoilers are kinda about the finale/series as a whole. So yeah, not for you. Yet. If ever. :P

I have come away from Jessicaaaa Jones wondering if I actually need to see a Luke Cage or Defenders series. And if this tone keeps up, Iron Fist is going to be the most depressing kung fu show ever.

No that isn't a good reason to replace it with Teh Punisher...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

4 episodes to go and reall enjoying it. It's not amazing or anything but I like the classic noir detective tone they went for with the music and that. Ritter and Colter are the best things in it, undecided on Tennant's character, we'll see how the last few episodes go.

Thee are a few annoying cliches and plot contrivances like Jessica
    waiting until the worst possible moment to tell Luke about his wife rather than just being up front with him.
    This is a character who "says what she wants" all the time so that just felt off to me.

Also the stuff with the male twin (major spoiler here)
    after kilgrave killed him
    , everyone's actions on how to deal with it just made no sense at all and seemed really silly.

Still though,over all 've liked it a lot, it's really picked up in the last few episodes so looking forward to finishing it off.

I'm up to Episode 8
    Did anyone catch the implication that the bitch lawyer is defending Wilson Fisk? I'm a little disappointed there isn't any proper cross referencing that this story is happening in the same Hell's Kitchen that Nelson and Murdock operate in. The Avengers "incident" is mentioned but not the megalomaniac owning the cops and running the underground (although Sergeant Mahoney does make a welcome appearance). Also, if Jessica was playing the superhero, where were S.H.I.E.L.D? It feels a little too disconnected from the MCU and even it's own Defenders universe in my opinion.

Okay finished!
    Ridley wrote: »
    Odd that, say,
    breaking Kilgrave's jaw
    wasn't discussed as an option.

I was waiting for
    Trish to get called a hellcat at some point
    . Surprised it didn't happen.

Gonna be interesting to see what it can offer since his role in this is a lot bigger than what I would have expected.

On your first point, I agree. Something like that woulda been feasible but sure...!

On your second point, I'm glad they didn't bother with that.

On Luke Cage, I reckon there's plenty more good stuff coming for him!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have 3 more to watch and liking it.

Daredevil never really grabbed me, I still haven't watched the whole season of that. This I managed to watch most of it in a day so definitely enjoying jessica jones more than Daredevil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Im 4 eps in and i love it so far.

With this, Daredevil and the way Agents of Shield has gone, the MCU is crap compared to the TV series'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm finished this, and thought it was fantastic. Probably do a rewatch in a week or so, just to actually take most of it in.
    I thought Kilgrave's death was anticlimactic at best, tbh, but other than that no complaints. He's probably the most terrifying villain I've seen in the MCU so far, which made it all the more difficult to watch. Really hard to see, but worth it.

I'm finished this, and thought it was fantastic. Probably do a rewatch in a week or so, just to actually take most of it in.
    I thought Kilgrave's death was anticlimactic at best, tbh, but other than that no complaints. He's probably the most terrifying villain I've seen in the MCU so far, which made it all the more difficult to watch. Really hard to see, but worth it.

I actually quite liked
    the simplicity of his death. I think it was really fitting that once it came down to just the two of them face to face, he was nothing.
    I also very much like how they didn't shy away from the
    rape aspect
    . I thought it was really important that they say it and not just leave it as an implication; really glad they didn't do that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How is the character development in this or is most of the show's creative energy focused on plot? I'll try to get to it later in the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ep1 basics
    why was she creeping on the black guy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've got 2 episodes left and it's freaking awesome

Gripping is a word that is thrown around a lot, but there were long stretches where My wife and I were literally gripping the edges of our seats with the tension of what might happen next.

Superb television.

I have to say that David Tennant was the best thing about this. Without him.. I'm not sure how good it would have been. Definitely wasn't a patch on Daredevil, which still stands as the best comic based TV show of recent memory.

But.. something that doesn't make sense and what I'm spoilering is based on the series as a whole, so don't read it if you haven't finished.
    Kilgrave's powers are actually a virus, right? That's what the father mentioned anyway. So.. how is it that Jessica becomes immune to it after she kills Luke Cage's wife? It doesn't make much sense. Could it be that she was never compelled by him and was resistant all along, but she went along with it always?

The thing is.. where can they go with season two, to have someone that is a better villain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

But.. something that doesn't make sense and what I'm spoilering is based on the series as a whole, so don't read it if you haven't finished.
    Kilgrave's powers are actually a virus, right? That's what the father mentioned anyway. So.. how is it that Jessica becomes immune to it after she kills Luke Cage's wife? It doesn't make much sense. Could it be that she was never compelled by him and was resistant all along, but she went along with it always?
    Its a virus in Kilgrave but the effect on others would be closer to a pheromone so something that could be resisted genetically or immunity built. They really needed someway to explain it in this cause in the comics she can resist because of a psychic trap by Jean Grey but no x-men kills that.

Its a virus in Kilgrave but the effect on others would be closer to a pheromone so something that could be resisted genetically or immunity built. They really needed someway to explain it in this cause in the comics she can resist because of a psychic trap by Jean Grey but no x-men kills that.

Really? That's kind of interesting.

But
    does it mean that anyone can build up an immunity or is it just Jessica Jones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really enjoyed the series as a whole tonally very different to DD.

Where the Netflix MCU sits in the world of the whole MCU is hard to tell at the moment in time alright but this maybe answered in the Defenders series when it comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Really? That's kind of interesting.

But
    does it mean that anyone can build up an immunity or is it just Jessica Jones?
    Honestly not a clue. Could just be a combination of her powers, her general personality, multiple traumatic experiences over her life and long term exposure (she spent more time with him then anyone besides his parents but they were when he was young)

Overall Im happy with the vast majority of choices made to adapt it! They kept everything accurate mostly.
    I did like Kilgrave alluding to how he treats her in the comics. Talking about how instead of raping her he just makes her beg him to which is really much more fcuked up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not a binge watcher myself so only took in the first episode, all in the spirit of traditional TV watching; to be honest I found JJ deeply underwhelming, to the point of it bordering on flat, cliché, and a bit tonally inconsistent; not to mention pretty grim, and these days I've lost the appetite for misery drama.

The noir clichés were distracting, Jessica's constant narration pretty hackneyed, with very little dry wit you'd even expect from the genre. I'm not sure if it was meant to be a parody or a gentle mock of Noir tropes, but between it and the generic hard-drinking, tough talking demeanour of Jessica, it was hard to take the episode too seriously. But then along came the harder edged material with a great big clang: I'm only going by what I saw in the first episode & some vague knowledge of the comics, but it seemed like there were very heavy implications of some form of
    super-powered domestic abuse / torture / rape
    , so that was more than a little bit jarring.

It's a tough tightrope to walk when bringing some darker shades into comicbook storytelling, but between the above themes & scenes like
    the hyponotised girl lying on a urine-stained duvet
    , it felt like JJ was trying way too hard. I'll give it a couple more episodes, but I think Daredevil managed the balance of maturity and adventure much more deftly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

Very impressive show!

Only 3 episodes in here and finding it to be slower than expected , expectations were based on dare devil which was probably wrong on our part. It's ok so far though just not as immediate as I found dare devil. Also not convinced by David Tenent yet though we haven't seen enough of him yet to be fair to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm 6 episodes in and overall I'm not really feeling it. At first I thought it was just that Jessica has none of the nuance and subtlety of Bendis' original Jessica. But I thought that if I lowered my expectations and viewed it on it's own merits without comparing it to the source material I would still enjoy it and I did for the first few episodes. However the more I watch the more I'm bored or annoyed with the story. I don't like Kilgrave's
    obsession with Jessica
    . It's boring, it's done to death, it's overplayed and the twists are over the top. I got to the end of the last episode yesterday and I have no more interest in what he's up to and will do next.

But more than that I hate the back story between
    Luke, Reva, Kilgrave and Jessica. I don't need to have some secret plot of Kilgrave's tying Luke, his wife and Jessica all together. It would be more powerful for Luke and Jessica's relationship to just be what Luke thought it was rather than a contrived "dark" connection that keeps bringing them together.
    That too is boring and played out.

The main plot that I do like is that of the Stever Rogers lookalike cop. I'm not especially familiar with his comicbook counterpart so as I like his character so much I'm invested in seeing how it plays out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm about 5 episodes in and finding it a real slog to get through. I may have to drop this for a while.

Luke Cage would be my only reason to keep watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just finished the whole series myself. Really enjoyed it - even more than Daredevil I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Finished it last night the cast were all spot but jesus Killgrave was terrifying even more so than Fisk in Daredevil , Definitely the best villain Marvel has done to date, the most sadistic anyway

Really surprised how good the guy playing Luke Cage was too can't wait for his show and if they do a 2nd season of JJ how in the hell are they gonna top Purple Man (Killgrave)

Could it be that she was never compelled by him and was resistant all along, but she went along with it always?

Considering the basic premise is
    a woman trying to get her rapist off the street
    , definitely not.

Even if that
    extended butt up ladder shot
    was horribly misjudged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm only one episode left, but still can't figure out what the timeline between Daredevil and JJ is. As Kingpins rise and any crime spree is never mentioned its a bit ambiguous.

I'm only one episode left, but still can't figure out what the timeline between Daredevil and JJ is. As Kingpins rise and any crime spree is never mentioned its a bit ambiguous.

JJ is set after DD.

Really loved the series. The friendship between Jess and Trish was the heart of the show to me- a great female equivalent of a 'bromance' And nice having a superhero show not about trying to save the world or the city in a silly suit, just an individual trying to stop a psychopath in plain clothes. Not too sure about the Luke Cage actor though. He was a bit boring to have his own show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Gonna give this show a try. If it's half as impressive as Daredevil I will be pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am nearly finished Narcos, haven't watched Daredevil, so should one watch Daredevil before Jessica Jones? I didn't know they were linked until I read some of the above posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's a pity it's never mentioned at all. When Clements was talking about how all those good cops could be taken off the streets because Kilgrave made them put their guns to their heads, I thought some mention of how the force couldn't take that loss after losing so much to Fisk already would have been an easy way to tie it in. And/or a quick mention from Hogarth, when she was on about being stressed, that what should have been an easy case suddenly become difficult because of one of those upstart Nelson/Murdoch lawyers.

Even more confusing about when it's set is the fact that it's the same continuity as Agents of SHIELD where at present America is experiencing a massive boom in meta-humans appearing. So much so that the public is anxious about it, it's international news and the President has to take public steps to try contain the threat. In that world people would have believed in Kilgrave much more readily and once Trish used her highest rated radio show in the city to publicise his existence, SHIELD, the ACTU and maybe even Lash would have been combing Hell's Kitchen for him. So presumably the beginning of this series (at least) is set before the 3rd series of SHIELD.

I'm wondering if there was a subtle hint that Hogarth and her firm are representing Fisk. In episode 7 Jessica corners Hogarth outside the courts as she is heading in to defend a client in what is being called a precedent setting case. Jessica flippantly dismisses this as a guilty rich dude for fraud. But I'm wondering, although Fisk is facing far more than fraud charges perhaps that's just Jessica being flippant.

I can't remember if we see Fisks lawyer in the the last episode of the season. Considering he was involved in the shooting of police officers and that it was caught on live TV i would think only the Purpleman could get Fisk found innocent.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I am nearly finished Narcos, haven't watched Daredevil, so should one watch Daredevil before Jessica Jones? I didn't know they were linked until I read some of the above posts.

You can watch either one it makes no difference- their plots are pretty much self-contained. There is a character in JJ that refers to the existence of Daredevil but it has no effect on the storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

"My parents were killed, I didn't start raping people."

Bravo Marvel, bravo.
    iguana wrote: »
    Even more confusing about when it's set is the fact that it's the same continuity as Agents of SHIELD where at present America is experiencing a massive boom in meta-humans appearing. So much so that the public is anxious about it, it's international news and the President has to take public steps to try contain the threat. In that world people would have believed in Kilgrave much more readily and once Trish used her highest rated radio show in the city to publicise his existence, SHIELD, the ACTU and maybe even Lash would have been combing Hell's Kitchen for him. So presumably the beginning of this series (at least) is set before the 3rd series of SHIELD.
    Both first seasons of DD and JJ are set after AoS season 1, but before season 2. So, way before season 3 of AoS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm about to start a rewatch, I needed a bit to unwind after it, it's a tough watch. I've read critiques of it, so now I'm wondering how it'll settle with me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Watched it all over the weekend. Really enjoyed it and thought David Tennant was great.
    Will be looking out for season 2 of this and Daredevil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Myself and the wife finished it this weekend...
    Not a huge fan, I got a bit happy when Rosario Dawson appeared...

Luke Cage didn´t seem too strong, for Power Man, or too charasmatic for his own series..
    As for Jessica, really didn´t take to her...
    anyway.. Can´t wait for Daredevil, series 2..!

Yeah Luke Cage seemed to written like he was had terminator strength: slow, slightly stronger than a human, but his main asset is he can take a lot of punishment. Jessica Jones was extremely weak compared to an avenger but has similar strength to the metahumans depicted in Agents of Shield. They could beat up Daredevil though, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yeah Luke Cage seemed to written like he was had terminator strength: slow, slightly stronger than a human, but his main asset is he can take a lot of punishment. Jessica Jones was extremely weak compared to an avenger but has similar strength to the metahumans depicted in Agents of Shield. They could beat up Daredevil though, probably.

Well Daredevil has no super strength, so I don't think there's any question they could beat him up ... is there? Luckily they're all on the same side.

Luke Cage was shown to be very strong I thought. Punched through some sturdy walls etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement