Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jessica Jones [Netflix]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So you do or don't want her Cray-cray?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Since this is the final netflix Marvel series, I wonder if they did some rewrites to allow others to appear in some capacity or we get some update on them

I doubt it, I think it had just wrapped shooting when the announcements started coming in. They wouldn't have pumped another cent into it for re-writes.

They were in post for Punisher when cancelled. Jessica was shooting or about to shoot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Since this is the final netflix Marvel series, I wonder if they did some rewrites to allow others to appear in some capacity or we get some update on them

I genuinely have no idea what sort of update you are talking about for these comic book heroes...
    Daredevil is off playing another character, Seamus o Flanagan in a Dungeons and Dragons tv series, or that Daredevil is still fighting the good fight in Hells Kitchen.

Well Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Daredevil were all open ended. So with the last remaining show, we could hear what they've been at in the meantime. It's not like they don't cross over into other series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I don’t ever recall a show having such a sense of redundancy around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I recall being a little bit annoyed with Trish in the previous season.

A little bit more than that trailer seems to suggest I should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Slydice wrote: »
    I recall being a little bit annoyed with Trish in the previous season.

A little bit more than that trailer seems to suggest I should be.

if its more trish like the last season i dont know if ill last the full season :(

It'll be an absolute waste if Jessica doesn't put Trish into last week

again... if I recall correctly.. it's been a while since the last season

3.1:
    Oh. I wasn't expecting that. The vulnerability was obviously something that came to mind in season 1 when I was first getting my head around her powers but ya don't think it's gonna come along just like that.

Immediate thoughts were go get him but like.. she's been stabbed.. so no.. get help.. stop bleeding out

As for the rest of the episode:
    - It felt like they've started to confront the Trish situation well.
    - Hogarths situation is grim..
    - yer wan in the music recital looks like Sauls ex-wife from the TV show Homeland so I assume she'll be playing a bigger role.

Overall decent opener. I liked the private eye feel to it.

The whole voiceovers gives it a great old fashioned noir private eye feel to it.

3.2: Jeez,
    the face on Jessica, she looked way paler and her lips looked almost blue numb

as for the rest of the episode:
    *bangs head off desk*

Trish .. just like.. yeah no..

This is fairly frustrating after what she did last season and now all these mistakes she's making here.

So I'm separating it in two kinda. Last Season Major F**k-Up and this season.. newbie wants-to-be hero who isn't thinking stuff through and is making so many mistakes.

So, I've only really seen Grace do a non-spoiler review of 1 - 8 and she thought the episodes went slow but so far it feels like right for how a private eye show should develop along.

I'm no expert in private eye shows though.

• Advertisement

3.3: Oooooh! Of course, right?!
    But like right until she grabbed him and said it, my mind didn't even go there.
    I even jumped to a: Maybe he's The Purple Man! but nah can't be

Jessica
    continues to look the face of death.

Trish
    .. maybe.. is doing kinda ok.. cos she saved Jessica

Hogarth
    .. yeah I dunno.. I was right about yer wan, Sauls wife from Homeland, in my earlier post though!

Forgot to mention on 3.2 that the starting credits had Krysten Ritter as director! :)
    I checked the wiki page, it's her first one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Worked through all the episodes this weekend as I was on my own.

Not sure I like or dislike the way they have decided to
    Tell and re-tell the same story parts from different perspectives over so many episodes

Overall it was an ok season but felt like since it was the last season of Netflix run at marvel, we might get a little more..... substance.

3.4: well they are keeping this season running smoothly. like.. this is really feeling like a mystery private eye show.
    I'm stumped about who yer man is.
    Trish is.. still making mistakes..
    The boyfriends powers feel newish..
    I can't remember someone with that specific focus off the top of my head

3.4: well they are keeping this season running smoothly. like.. this is really feeling like a mystery private eye show.
    I'm stumped about who yer man is.
    Trish is.. still making mistakes..
    The boyfriends powers feel newish..
    I can't remember someone with that specific focus off the top of my head

Yer man is
    Foolkiller

3.5: Continuing the crime mystery and private eye feel. This episode went
    more dark than the others. The moment between Jessica and Trish both wishing felt like something. Not forgiveness for Trish, but something more than the negative feel from before.

I get the feeling the
    loss of Hogarth as a defender of powered people
    is being highlighted

Yer man is
    Foolkiller

The name doesn't ring a bell but it feels like it explains his MO.

• Advertisement

3.5: Continuing the crime mystery and private eye feel. This episode went
    more dark than the others. The moment between Jessica and Trish both wishing felt like something. Not forgiveness for Trish, but something more than the negative feel from before.

I get the feeling the
    loss of Hogarth as a defender of powered people
    is being highlighted

The name doesn't ring a bell but it feels like it explains his MO.

He was in a Deadpool series called Mercs for hire and had a limited series a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

was the Purple man voice-over new or from season 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Skerries wrote: »
    was the Purple man voice-over new or from season 1?
    Pretty sure it was new. It was too specific to the scene to have been re-used imo.

3.6: Just before the halfway mark. Feels like somethings up.
    Jessica said S**t after yer man mentioned Sallingers targets and now I'm wondering have I missed him not knowing about Trish or something.

Nah can't be. His power seems to result in him being mostly honest from what I can tell.

The moment where Jessica reacted to being told she was like Aspirin felt like the deepest emotional part of the episode

3.7: hrmmmm..
    so like.. it feels like yer mans story as the villian is done. I mean like.. it doesn't like he's got anymore cards up his sleeve. maybe this is a two villian story like Luke Cage season 1?

6 episodes left..

Knowing that the show and the Netflix Universe was cancelled and this was the finale for it all they........final episode spoiler..
    Could have edited out that final scene and let Jessica go off into the sunset.

3.8: :eek:

Well
    Fu*k! Dorothy had kinda grown on me this season. Rebecca De Mornay ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_De_Mornay ) did a great job in the part.

WTF,
    that's both mothers in two seasons like.

It felt like
    Dorothy was part of Trishs redemption arc and really was bolstering it.
    What's gonna happen now. Yer mans dead. Is this gonna be a Hogarth as the baddie story?

3.9:
    So yer mans still alive.. but like.. how could he have killed the cop? Did he even know about the cop? Didn't look like he was well enough to be up and about.

Didn't look like the boyfriend would win a fight with the cop.
    Trish didn't know about the cop.
    Maybe one of the cops victims people got him... maybe the boyfriend tipped them off

3.10:
    Trish! Of course it was Trish!

but like I said for
    3.9: Trish didn't know so I'm guessing it's herself and the boyfriend.. that it wasn't just himself stumbling upon her.. although she did break into Hogarths and Jessica proved the boyfriend sleeps through a files search.. and Trish can be more stealthy

3.11: Alright. Guessing
    the end fight will be against Trish.

Who's she going after first though.. my guess if the killer in hospital, Hogarths mark and then Hogarth herself.

• Advertisement

Knowing that the show and the Netflix Universe was cancelled and this was the finale for it all they........final episode spoiler..
    Could have edited out that final scene and let Jessica go off into the sunset.

I preferred it. The whole thing was about her
    accepting that she is
    a hero by choice and actually likes helping others
    Luke's
    appearance really grates. It reminds me that the other shows were really hitting their stride.
    I can not blame Netflix for shuttering all this, even against Marvel's wishes.
    Marvel were about to shaft them, with Marvel Cinema making TV shows now and completely ignoring the existing shows (which are MCU)

I preferred it. The whole thing was about her
    accepting that she is
    a hero by choice and actually likes helping others
    Luke's
    appearance really grates. It reminds me that the other shows were really hitting their stride.
    I can not blame Netflix for shuttering all this, even against Marvel's wishes.
    Marvel were about to shaft them, with Marvel Cinema making TV shows now and completely ignoring the existing shows (which are MCU)

Yeah
    JJ and DD ended well enough, but LC and IF were going interesting places and could have had great third seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Should have had all 4 defenders and Frank at the end and have them culled in the snap. Then relaunch them all whenever they can and say it’s 5 years later.

Should have had all 4 defenders and Frank at the end and have them culled in the snap. Then relaunch them all whenever they can and say it’s 5 years later.

Blame Perlmutter for the shows being cast aside by the MCU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

I really loved season 1, season 2 was fairly good, but this was just meh..
    I loved that they doubled down on the Noir for the most part, but felt the new characters were pretty crappy overall, and the progression Patsy went was just all too predictable..

I was delighted to see Jeremy Bobb in the role of the Villain, he actually seemed promising from the off start but just done feck all overall.

And Hogarth's story arc progression was underwhelming, i was hoping she was going to get more desperate/dangerous instead of just boring/selfish.

And Dorothy getting more screen time and redeeming herself somewhat, i suspected she was in for the chop as a result, again more predictability.

What i was hoping for throughout was the reveal of Patsy to be the actual one who knifed Jessica, a way for her to take Jessicas hero spotlight with her out of the picture with injury, and the whole investigation of Salinger was just one big coincidence.. but alas..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm only about 4 episodes in and I have zero problem with LGBTQI representation on film and television... nor am I prudish or anything, but those lesbian scenes seem gratuitously long and graphic (and frequent).

I'm only about 4 episodes in and I have zero problem with LGBTQI representation on film and television... nor am I prudish or anything, but those lesbian scenes seem gratuitously long and graphic (and frequent).

??????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jessica Jones has always been a bit racier though; IIRC the very first episode had a long, gratuitous sex scene between Jessica & Luke. Always just felt a little like the show was trying to hard to be edgy (but then that kinda stands true IMO with the other Netflix shows as well) - momentary sadistic gore putting me off in places...

I'm lost here or am completely desensitised to this stuff

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Jessica Jones has always been a bit racier though; IIRC the very first episode had a long, gratuitous sex scene between Jessica & Luke. Always just felt a little like the show was trying to hard to be edgy (but then that kinda stands true IMO with the other Netflix shows as well) - momentary sadistic gore putting me off in places...

Most first episodes of shows feature some form of titillation to draw viewers in. Some type of sex scene, women in showers, women changing their clothes... The very first episode of Jessica Jones season 1 even had a shot of Jessica on the toilet while talking on the phone for seemingly no reason other than to show a bit of leg or something.

First episode of Luke Cage had Luke and Misty get it on even though it was pretty much never referred to ever again, Think the second series of it had a Luke and Claire sex scene too.

It's not that big an issue. Just something I've been noticing in more and more tv shows lately.

Think they're specifically referring to
    Jeri and Kith in the theatre, and when Kith plays the bass/cello/whatever in Jeri's apartment.
    Not overly gratuitous, but still quite racy scenes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the Netflix Universe went out of its way to be gritty and "mature", just for the sake of overcompensation. The MCU is a fairly bloodless, sexless universe, not sure swinging the needle in the completely opposite direction always worked.

Penn wrote: »
    Think they're specifically referring to
    Jeri and Kith in the theatre, and when Kith plays the bass/cello/whatever in Jeri's apartment.
    Not overly gratuitous, but still quite racy scenes.

Ooh errr Matron

I'm scandalised :rolleyes:

There's like a 10 min long sex scene with Hogarth and the cello lady in episode 3 (?) and a long scene in episode 4 (again ?... numbers might be off) during the concert.

I know JJ has always been racier and I'm no prude, but they seem gratuitously long IMHO.

Ooh errr Matron

I'm scandalised :rolleyes:
    You're missing the point entirely, fair enough. It's needlessly drawn out in both episodes for zero plot or "artistic" reasons other than to be "racy". It's frankly boring and immature.

• Advertisement

There's like a 10 min long sex scene with Hogarth and the cello lady in episode 3 (?) and a long scene in episode 4 (again ?... numbers might be off) during the concert.

I know JJ has always been racier and I'm no prude, but they seem gratuitously long IMHO.

It's hardly Game of Thrones bewb watch levels FFS and nothing more than we see in dozens of other shows.

You're missing the point entirely, fair enough. It's needlessly drawn out in both episodes for zero plot or "artistic" reasons other than to be "racy". It's frankly boring and immature.

Yet JJ and Luke did a hell of a lot bolder, from the opening episodes, and no one seemed to complain about the gratuitous nature of that (well not in the first several pages of this thread anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Yet JJ and Luke did a hell of a lot bolder, from the opening episodes, and no one seemed to complain about the gratuitous nature of that (well not in the first several pages of this thread anyway)

No one complained because we all loved it. I mean, who doesn't want to watch two superheros absolutely destroying each other. :D

kerplun k wrote: »
    No one complained because we all loved it. I mean, who doesn't want to watch two superheros absolutely destroying each other. :D

Yeah but two middle aged wimmins in a suggestive manner is "frankly boring and immature"

:pac::pac::pac:

I just found their whole story boring. While it set up some storylines, they could've spent less time with it and give Hogarth something else to do if they wanted her onscreen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement