Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics/Maths TSM vs. MSISS vs. Science MPG

• 30-01-2015 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    I have just filled in my CAO and I have come across a little bit of a dilemma. My first choice is Ec and Fi as I want to have some sort of quantitative business/ finance/ banking/ maths job in the future. However, in the likely event that I do not get the necessary points (aiming for 560-580), I want to know which course would be best for this career path.

Economics/ Maths TSM (Trinity): This will most likely be my second choice but I am a bit worried about the pure maths element of the course. I am quite a solid maths student and will probably get a comfortable B in the LC but I am worried that I will not be able to cope with maths at college level as it is obviously quite a step up. Would doing maths as part of a TSM be too much for a B student at leaving cert level? Is it just as difficult as doing maths on its own as a single degree?

MSISS: This course looks great on paper, lot of maths, economics, business, computer skills and workplace skills etc. but I am a bit put off by how unpopular it seems to be. Almost no-one I know has heard of it and the points in recent years have been in the 300's (although it was 515 last year). I know you shouldn't dismiss a course based on low points and it's popularity (or lack thereof) but I am worried that future employers might not regard it as a good course. Also would this course be good for the sort of career I'm looking for? (Keep in mind I will most likely do some sort of masters in finance or the likes after college)

Science (MPG) - UCD: This is essentially the maths department of UCD and I would be looking to do maths or preferably statistics but again I have reservations based on my level of maths. Also, would statistics be considered a very good degree (with a masters) for a job in banking/ finance?

Honourable mentions: Further down the CAO list I have BESS, Economics (UCD), economics and maths as a joint arts degree in UCD (last resort, or is it?). Any good???? (Please don't suggest actuarial, my sister did that and just no)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I've currently the TSM course and Economics and Finance as my second and third respectively. 1st is Financial Maths and Economics because I live in Galway.

If you're looking at working Internationally, then Economics/Maths would be the best option, and the best out there if you're looking to go into investment banking or something along that line.

However, if you don't consider yourself as an A1 student at maths, I think Economics and Finance would suit you better. It's got a lot less Maths reading about it, although there does seem to be an increasing amount as the years progress. The work placement in it makes it very attractive also. And you get to do two subjects along with it such as French, or Geography I think. I'm guessing you'd be working the best of the best in the Trinity course as that's what the majority of highly mathematically skilled students would be attracted to. That is bad in terms of percentile and a feeling of falling behind, but good, as you can get help off them when things might get a bit abstract. I do think that most of the work will be purely on maths and statistics and 40% on economical stuff, and the Economics and Finance course probably has about 65% economics and finance theory, and the rest on maths.

That said, I could be completely wrong about the level of ability of maths required in Trinity. I'm judging you on your three words 'comfortable B student', and apparently the maths is completely different in college. If you find your strong points are Paper 1 and Stats and Probability, then I'd say you'd be fine. Geometry and stupid Project maths stuff won't come into it.

I presume you live in Dublin, otherwise you wouldn't have Arts ahead of Cork or Galway college courses. I would pick the Trinity TSM definitely if I lived in Dublin, but that's because I'm more maths than I am business and finance, and cos it sounds great! But I would say Economics and Finance might be better for you, rather than having to go through all non-related-to-finance maths in Trinity, which might become overwhelming. But, as I said, if you're better at P1 and Stats, then you'd probably be suited to the course. As for the others, I can't comment on, as I'm not interested in them (and haven't heard if MSISS). Sorry, my answer's very messy, English is not my strong point!

Advertisement