Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v5] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

It would be great to see Lucy come back. She was an interesting character. You could bring her back for Tommy but initial contact would be with Wayne or Dolores. Some are making comebacks like Leo's son in the recent past and Neasa in the future. Nicola briefly made a comeback last year. Anthony Farrell passes in and out of it: surprised, he was not with Flynn or Cathal this time around?

Looking back on Fair City characters that are no longer in the show, I wonder how many are remembered? For me, the most colourful were the likes of Billy Meehan, Sylvester Garrigan, Mick Mahoney, Marty Halpin, Bill Taylor and Paddy Bishop. I suppose we have seen the last of Thomas Flynn and he needs to be added to this list? Also, many died tragically like Gina, Lorraine, Luke, the solicitor and Helen.

For a long time, the likes of Barry, Donal Maher, Dr Brendan, Seamus McAleer, Seamus Mannion, etc. were among the main characters.

Then, there's the quieter characters that just passed in and out of it. Remember Dr Brendan's nephew Robert? Or Keith and his brother (can't think of his name). What about Cleo and Chloe? What about Judith and Tara and Tara's father? And all the string of men Carol had: the music promoter who managed Chloe, etc. And remember that strange rich woman Paul had who tried to kill her husband or something?

Finn was Keith brother, thought he was gorgeous, he went out with Nessa for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

fin12 wrote: »
    Finn was Keith brother, thought he was gorgeous, he went out with Nessa for a while.

That's him. Finn. Remember his name now! He was the original owner of The Station before Dan.

I remember a way back there was another pub called the Galley or something owned by Carol and/or Billy Meehan. Carol ran it herself for years after Billy was gone.

The funniest scenes from that period of Fair City were those of the Blue Dolphin office. There was always fighting and bickering going on as three quarters of the company was comprised of Paul and his 2 girlfriends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

That's him. Finn. Remember his name now! He was the original owner of The Station before Dan.

I remember a way back there was another pub called the Galley or something owned by Carol and/or Billy Meehan. Carol ran it herself for years after Billy was gone.

The funniest scenes from that period of Fair City were those of the Blue Dolphin office. There was always fighting and bickering going on as three quarters of the company was comprised of Paul and his 2 girlfriends.

And don't forget Maher, who was going out with Nicola and was having an affair with her sister Philippa

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That was the computer software giant :D
    I remember one episode where they were subject to some cyber crime and the cops confiscated their computers - including the bulky CRT monitors!!

And don't forget Maher, who was going out with Nicola and was having an affair with her sister Philippa

I remember all that. The Blue Dolphin was the epitome of the home and work life being the same. Donal Maher seemed to be the main man in the company and it was folded when he left shortly after the affair with Philippa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A guy on Youtube has just uploaded two vintage episodes of Fair City, one from 1998 and an omnibus edition from 2003.

1998 :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6MgrMjhE4A

2003 :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEnGZZ1DrtM

Keep an eye out for Paul, Helen and baby Rachel in the 1998 episode, along with the famous Harry Molloy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

walshb wrote: »
    I don't know, but it looks like FC are going to ramp up and intensify their love story triangle. I reckon they add a couple more angles with Dan-Caoimhe-Damo-Sally. No longer a love triangle, but a love square!

intentional pun.......???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

Strazdas wrote: »
    A guy on Youtube has just uploaded two vintage episodes of Fair City, one from 1998 and an omnibus edition from 2003.

1998 :

2003 :

Keep an eye out for Paul, Helen and baby Rachel in the 1998 episode, along with the famous Harry Molloy :)

I don't know why, but I prefer the older Fair Cities. Look at 37:33 of the 2003 episode, some serious technologically aware scriptwriters back then!

Strazdas wrote: »

1998 :

2003 :

Will check these out. I remember this period 1998-2003 very well and this was where a lot of the most remembered storylines were featured including the Blue Dolphin, Billy Meehan, Marty Halpin, etc. I forgot about Harry Molloy earlier. He went off and killed himself or something later on.

Then, there was that Morgan who was with Suzanne and got involved with a racist friend who kills a Nigerian man. The racist guy was called Pete Flanagan I think and was played by the actor who played Jimmy in Killinaskully. The Morgan guy ended up killing himself too as far as I remember. Then there was Eunice, Christy's mother. And Malachy and Kay. Then, there was that solicitor called Richard who just disappeared. And Mike Gleeson who electrocuted himself. Then, the fake Louis Gleeson comes along before the real one comes.

I cannot think of the name of that promoter guy who Carol was going out with. I remember he managed a girl band with the lead singer Chloe. The band was called Supernova most likely inspired by the lyrics of an Oasis song.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

intentional pun.......???

No. But well spotted....

• Advertisement

the fake Louis Gleeson comes along before the real one comes

Whaaa?!

It was around that period that Dangerhere used to do a lot of funny Fair City stuff. I miss those days.
    We decided to hold the press conference that unveiled our industry-rocking agreement in the Bistro in Dublin's Carrigstown, the inner-city area in which Blue Dolphin's offices are located. Paul Brennan, Blue Dolphin's company director, chief programmer and senior salesman, expressed envy at the extensive and spacious offices in DangerHere Towers. "To be honest," he said, "Blue Dolphin operates out of one room about the size of a large bathroom. In contrast, you could have a game of five-a-side on any floor of DangerHere Towers."

Carrigstown local Bela Doyle, though not in any way connected with the press conference, insisted on sitting with us and fielding questions. "I don't know much about all this computer lark," he said, "but I'll tell you this, right? I know a good bunch of blokes when I see them, and these DangerHere lads are the bleedin' salt of the earth. Salt of the earth, so they are."
    DangerHere strongman Phil 'the King' fields a question outside The Bistro, flanked by Blue Dolphin's Maher and
    local dogsbody Bela Doyle.

Maher denies allegations

"This is great news for Blue Dolphin," said junior vice-president for sales and programming, Maher (first name unknown). "Just a few weeks ago we thought the company was going to have to downsize by 25%. That was when Niamh was almost sacked." Maher later angrily rejected allegations that he has never actually used a computer, and that his office phone isn't even plugged in.

What exactly is integration software?

When pressed by reporters about what exactly was the nature of Blue Dolphin's business, senior vice-president in charge of sales and programming Nicola Prendergast replied "Integration software." Enquiries about what exactly this was met with mumbled, unintelligible replies. When asked about how sales and programming duties are divided among Blue Dolphin staff, she was similarly non-committal. "We all do a bit of both," she said.

Whatever integration software may be matters little to us at DangerHere Towers. What's important is that we have a cheque for 10 million pounds, and more importantly the opportunity to make the world a better place for you, for me, and for the entire human race.

http://www.dangerhere.com/issues/issue6-090401/bluedolphin.htm

Lol
    Ireland watched with 'bated breath last week as RTE soap Fair City pulled no punches in its compelling portrayal of backroom betrayal at seven-a-side astro-team Dynamo Carrigstown.

Dynamo Carrigstown 2-3 Other Lads Utd

Taximan Ray began the week on a high as the team he founded less than a month ago blazed a trail of honourably narrow defeats in the Canal League. Ray's stock-in-trade was man-motivation rather than tactical analysis. His deceptively effective approach was to pose as a pathetic loser whose entire sense of self-worth was riding on what happened during the next game. His ridiculously over-the-top team talks had the team laughing into their pints, but also spurred the lads on to do their best in order to prevent the gaffer from topping himself when he got home that evening.

But Ray reckoned without dodgy dealings on the part of local dogsbody Bela Doyle, whose son Jimmy once played a trial for "United".

Ray had to deal with some dissent from the team when he unveiled a nonsensical 2-3-1 formation for their latest match.

...............................................Ray..........................................

...........Robbo.................................................................Macker.

............Mondo...........................Damo...............................Ken....

...................................................Jimmy...................................

The lads were three-down at half-time. Spectator Bela egged the lads on as they lambasted Ray for his hopeless tactics, which isolated Jimmy up front, rendering his reputedly silky skills ineffective.

Ray foolishly gave in to Bela's insistence that Mondo be pushed forward to support Jimmy, leaving the team dangerously exposed with a two-man midfield and a defence composed of characters who do not (perhaps owing to casting and/or camera-resource limitations) seem to actually exist.

...........................................Ray..................................

................Robbo...........................................................Macker..

................Damo...................................................Ken....

...............................................Mondo................................

..............................................Jimmy................................

Despite a defensive line apparently transparent to visible light, the lads pulled back two goals before full time, prompting them to hail Bela as a tactical genius.

Ray Loses The Dressing Room

It was Damo who led the putsch against Ray.

First, he deviously arranged a team meeting, at which he revealed his heinous plan. Ray's sprog Mondo was told to tell his dad to jump or be pushed.

Mondo recultantly complied.

http://www.dangerhere.com/gufflog/more.php?id=1028_0_1_0_C

FC skit on repub of telly now!

its surprisingly funny!!

I don't know why, but I prefer the older Fair Cities. Look at 37:33 of the 2003 episode, some serious technologically aware scriptwriters back then!

The Fair Cities from around 1998 to 2005 were among the best ones I think. This is because stories were being tackled for the first time. Billy Meehan was probably the best gangland portrayal on Irish TV until Nidge and co came along in Love/Hate. Other interesting storylines were the insider trading one which Mondo got caught up with and also the racism story involving Morgan and Pete Flanagan.

Of course, the violent wifebeater has been repeated several times since Billy Meehan. We see it with characters like Marty Halpin, Bill Taylor and Paddy Bishop.

Whaaa?!

Yes. After Mike Gleeson dies, a conman claiming to be Louis comes along before it is revealed he is not the real Louis. He was in it for maybe a week. The real Louis comes along then. The fake guy had a beard if I recall.

I got sucked into that channel with the old Fair Cities and look who I spotted in an old episode of Glenroe:

https://youtu.be/Vbh12pagFPE?t=2m29s

Sorry, wtf is Eoghan confessing to?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,773 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

walshb wrote: »
    Sorry, wtf is Eoghan confessing to?

Killing barchanic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Mary from Glenroe

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Killing barchanic

If Nina gets hold of this he'll go down for murder.

Is having a coffin upstairs normal at a removal/wake, always thought it was only downstairs, at least any home layouts I've been to were

your memory is christmas tree niamh, we all know it!!

"He lit me up like a christmas tree."

Dripey is a great character. hated him at first. Actor plays him brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beechfiled

I don't think an undertaker would carry a coffin upstairs. I was at a wake years ago and the family brought the bed downstairs to lay out the deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Ha! my first thought was the 'Christmas tree'... seems I'm not the only one.

Is Heather after Max for herself or does she just want to make Farrah's life a misery

Beechfiled wrote: »
    I don't think an undertaker would carry a coffin upstairs. I was at a wake years ago and the family brought the bed downstairs to lay out the deceased.

im pretty sure an undertaker would do exactly that if the family requested it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Heather after Max for herself or does she just want to make Farrah's life a misery
    Both

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement