Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v5] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

MelanieC wrote: »
    I was wondering about that too. You'd think he'd want to clear his son's name amongst his friends & neighbours.

He might not be as quick to clear his name when/if he finds out he let greasy head in to steal all the cars a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Orla shows more emotion than Kirsten Stewart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

I wanted to say something about "Orla's " acting but, quite honestly, anything I could say wouldn't do justice to it............. christ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Orla shows more emotion than Kirsten Stewart.

Well that wouldn't be hard?!

I think the actress is doing a good job. She's playing a tired, freaked out mother who is afraid her lie is going to cost her her son because they have no way of finding out his medical history.

Keeping a lie like that was bound to drive her bananas. It's hard to believe herself and Wayne didn't preempt this sort of situation before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Paula's acting is hilarious. As is Dean's hair, Leo's hands, Frank's ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I actually think Orla is good at playing hysterical - the problem is it's written way to ott as a device to reveal Junior's real Dad.

Poor writing and poor direction does make actors look a lot worse than they are. Also I get the impression FC films all its scenes relevant to place over timeline - which is a cost saving device but often backfires.

Like last week Orla asked Wayne to get jnr's Teddy for the hospital - we see Wayne bringing in the Teddy rabbit in that episode but this week whilst talking to Deloros in the pub flat Wayne is carrying the same toy. So that scene perhaps was left out of sequence unless Wayne has his own fluffy toy.

RTE need to loosen the purse strings for FC to improve, either that or cut back on the amount of weekly episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think the actress is doing a good job. She's playing a tired, freaked out mother who is afraid her lie is going to cost her her son because they have no way of finding out his medical history.

Keeping a lie like that was bound to drive her bananas. It's hard to believe herself and Wayne didn't preempt this sort of situation before though.

There's a happy medium between playing a concerned and worried parent which would be realistic and screaming like a hyena which is what she is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Wow, I'm no longer alone in thinking she's credible as an actress at the moment. I get that FC needed a way of revealing the secret so at the end of the day it's just a plot device but I do think having a secret dalliance revealed through your baby son being in hospital would be enough to make a new mom hysterical. I've seen moms get hysterical on children's wards over a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

morebabies wrote: »
    Wow, I'm no longer alone in thinking she's credible as an actress at the moment. I get that FC needed a way of revealing the secret so at the end of the day it's just a plot device but I do think having a secret dalliance revealed through your baby son being in hospital would be enough to make a new mom hysterical. I've seen moms get hysterical on children's wards over a lot less.

It's a freaking ear infection.That is all she knows. She is completely OTT and unrealistic. As mentioned, no results had even come back and she was acting like the child needed a a fcuking head transplant!

walshb wrote: »
    It's a freaking ear infection.That is all she knows. She is completely OTT and unrealistic. As mentioned, no results had even come back and she was acting like the child needed a a fcuking head transplant!

Well in fairness it started out when they thought 'junior' might be deaf, and wanted to find out if there was deafness in the Dillon family. It seems to have snowballed/dragged out from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Orla is now into her second week of camping beside that hospital bed. And ,seeing is Wayne there most of time,why doesn't she at least go home and brush her hair. They don't live far from this notorious hospital, obviously.
    It seems be one of those unusual hospitals that don't employee nurses, cleaners, receptionist or porters, just a single doctor who is a jack-of-all-trades. That's one of the consequences of health cutbacks, I guess :(

Well in fairness it started out when they thought 'junior' might be deaf, and wanted to find out if there was deafness in the Dillon family. It seems to have snowballed/dragged out from there.

Yes, and they almost took Caoimhe's head off for suggesting that they have Junior looked at. That is just it, there is next to no consistency in the story. The Hungry Pig/Bistro diagnosis from super doc, Jim, some antibiotics and an ear infection that hasn't yet cleared. She became OTT hysterical way too early. And, no matter what the condition, most normal humans wouldn't be quivering wrecks like her. Her portrayal is atrocious due to her being asked to be atrocious, and her acting at being atrocious. She actually looks ridiculous. Unable to pull off a quivering wreck with any reality, because it's far too forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, and they almost took Caoimhe's head off for suggesting that they have Junior looked at. That is just it, there is next to no consistency in the story. The Hungry Pig/Bistro diagnosis from super doc, Jim, some antibiotics and an ear infection that hasn't yet cleared. She became OTT hysterical way too early. And, no matter what the condition, most normal humans wouldn't be quivering wrecks like her. Her portrayal is atrocious due to her being asked to be atrocious, and her acting at being atrocious. She actually looks ridiculous. Unable to pull off a quivering wreck with any reality, because it's far too forced.

And since when is she a neurotic? In times past, I seem to recall her being strong and feisty and opinionated.

There's a happy medium between playing a concerned and worried parent which would be realistic and screaming like a hyena which is what she is doing.

especially when there hasnt even been a diagnoses FFS!!!!

have a meltdown when you're told your child has cancer maybe ...... not for an ear infection. Yes I understand the worry of not knowing, been there done that but give me a break!!!

no ..... this is insulting. I've been that parent who got the cancer diagnosis for their young child. Been in the ICU's and Oncology wards. NO WAY do parents behave like this. Crying, bawling at the diagnosis, asking millions of questions yes .......but the agressive attitude of Orla to everyone around her and her hysteria when she hasnt even got that diagnosis..............wrong. Incredibly bad writing and bad acting :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

no ..... this is insulting. I've been that parent who got the cancer diagnosis for their young child. Been in the ICU's and Oncology wards. NO WAY do parents behave like this. Crying, bawling at the diagnosis, asking millions of questions yes .......but the agressive attitude of Orla to everyone around her and her hysteria when she hasnt even got that diagnosis..............wrong. Incredibly bad writing and bad acting :mad:

Hey I hope I didn't offend you over saying I think she's a good actress in the current storyline. I only come on this discussion thread for a bit of banter over the soaps. I was only saying I have seen moms behave in an over anxious way in hospitals over small health issues, hope I didn't imply this is how all moms behave, if so I apologise.

I think they're doing all this to justify Caoimhe finding out about "Junior" and as a ploy to re-involve Tommy Dillon somehow, but as you say, it is very badly written. The toddler seems to have a relatively minor ear infection and Orla's reaction is hopelessly over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Wow, I'm no longer alone in thinking she's credible as an actress at the moment.

Can I ask you and the other person who think she is acting well what other shows/films have great acting? I watch FC for the comically bad acting.

I consider good/great acting to be House of Cards, The Sopranos etc and for a soap I think Alicia in Emmerdale is playing a stormer in her role as a rape victim and being accused of being the sex offender rather than victim.

All I'm seeing on FC is a cackling hen.

I've seen moms get hysterical on children's wards over a lot less.

Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

I don't know how to spell it, but Orla's acting on FC at the moment is WOE-JUSS. It's car-crash telly. I'm only watching it to see how bad it's going to get. Ridiculous story lines, chronically bad acting, cringe-worthy dialogue .... HELLOOOO. THE EMPEROR'S NOT WEARING ANY CLOTHES!

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Like what?

That's not really what the threads about is it? Surely better for another thread elsewhere. Anyway different people react differently to things. It's very hard to pin down a definitive realistic reaction.

We could say Orla's over reaction is because of the guilt and repression of the stress that's had over Tommy being the dad. She kept a lid on it through Tommy going crazy and taking people hostage at gunpoint, through him being committed, through Wayne possibly rejecting her over the baby, through Dolores reaction, maybe this has pushed her over the top, the lid is just bubbled off the pot and everything's too much and a wild over reaction isn't so strange in that context.

That's not really what the threads about is it? Surely better for another thread elsewhere. Anyway different people react differently to things. It's very hard to pin down a definitive realistic reaction.

We could say Orla's over reaction is because of the guilt and repression of the stress that's had over Tommy being the dad. She kept a lid on it through Tommy going crazy and taking people hostage at gunpoint, through him being committed, through Wayne possibly rejecting her over the baby, through Dolores reaction, maybe this has pushed her over the top, the lid is just bubbled off the pot and everything's too much and a wild over reaction isn't so strange in that context.

Orla did have a similar meltdown though when Wayne discovered he wasn't the father, until he finally accepted it and agreed to raise the baby, so it wouldn't be entirely fair to say she has kept everything bottled up

Her OTT and ridiculous over reaction is clear. It's due to Junior's ear infection. That is what is so bad about it.

Exactly, it's kind of an easy enough concept. To the poster who said all they see is a cackling hen, how do you know she's not been asked to play a cackling hen? We all know most of the storylines are muck anyway, all the producers require is that each story line MUST last exactly 3 weeks for it to be allowed. Even if it's about bunions or an ear infection. But I'm not gonna insult the actress who plays orla just for playing a part she has to play to put bread on the table.

Exactly, it's kind of an easy enough concept. To the poster who said all they see is a cackling hen, how do you know she's not been asked to play a cackling hen? We all know most of the storylines are muck anyway, all the producers require is that each story line MUST last exactly 3 weeks for it to be allowed. Even if it's about bunions or an ear infection. But I'm not gonna insult the actress who plays orla just for playing a part she has to play to put bread on the table.

I should hope to god she is being asked to play a cackling hen, because if not it's the worst acting I have ever seen. This is the fault of the director. Nobody else. It's deplorable. Orla is likely obeying specific orders. If not, and she is acting the way she believes an upset mother would behave, then god help her. Either way it's the director's fault, as he/she airs it and passes it fit for "human consumption."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

In fairness, the actress can only act as she is directed and from the script. So she can't be blamed for that.

However her performance is very unconvincing. Hanging out of Wayne, tearlessly whinging, and him not knowing how to react because he knows its a ridiculous storyline.

Poor Voctor. :(

Getting major giggles from Orla's fan club even though it's a very small one.

Defending the indefensible in my book.

In fairness, the actress can only act as she is directed and from the script. So she can't be blamed for that.

A truly decent performer be it acting, music etc can take something badly written and make it belivable, realistic & watch/listenable.

Her fan club are subtly trying to move the goalposts now to make it look like a personal attack even though her comments on being Ireland's Jennifer Aniston & not being able to tweet where she is going due to fans turning up are bat**** crazy.

I'm gonna sit back and watch the thread unfold but I have an idea how it will go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

A truly decent performer be it acting, music etc can take something badly written and make it belivable, realistic & watch/listenable.

Her fan club are subtly trying to move the goalposts now to make it look like a personal attack even though her comments on being Ireland's Jennifer Aniston & not being able to tweet where she is going due to fans turning up are bat**** crazy.

I'm gonna sit back and watch the thread unfold but I have an idea how it will go.

Did you deliberately miss the rest of my post?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

This thread has stopped being enjoyable because of some posters' obsessions with their dislike of a particular actress. We get it, you hate her acting, and some of you hate her off screen too.

Well you've had your say. Can you just leave it now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement