Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v5] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Decent scripts cost nothing. Decent acting costs nothing. Decent production values costs very little too. I'm not a soap addict by any means, but if you look at Eastenders, it is so far ahead of FC, that it really denegrates FC to the bargain bin. From script to direction, FC is devoid of actual talent and it has nothing whatsoever to do with its budget. It could be a great little soap, if it didn't suffer from employing a payroll of gob****es across its entire scope of cast and production staff.

Yes, we all laugh here on this thread about how absolutely ****e it is, but it could be so much better. The cast is too big. The set is crap. The production values, given the budget, are lazy and downright horrendous. It's soap 101 from the 70s. In fact it could be used as an example of how not to make a soap.

While no soap will be above the witty criticism that we see here, its quite sad that this particular soap is regularly derided from top to bottom and justifiably. Ultimately quangos are responsible for it. From cast to crew to writers. FC has become an RTE institution that depends on dopey viewers too lazy to state how crap it is and it is crap.

Apologies for the slight rant, but I come from a creative background and found tonights episode of Eastenders to be a really easy thing to do if you actually care about what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Decent scripts cost nothing. Decent acting costs nothing. Decent production values costs very little too. I'm not a soap addict by any means, but if you look at Eastenders, it is so far ahead of FC, that it really denegrates FC to the bargain bin. From script to direction, FC is devoid of actual talent and it has nothing whatsoever to do with its budget. It could be a great little soap, if it didn't suffer from employing a payroll of gob****es across its entire scope of cast and production staff.

Yes, we all laugh here on this thread about how absolutely ****e it is, but it could be so much better. The cast is too big. The set is crap. The production values, given the budget, are lazy and downright horrendous. It's soap 101 from the 70s. In fact it could be used as an example of how not to make a soap.

While no soap will be above the witty criticism that we see here, its quite sad that this particular soap is regularly derided from top to bottom and justifiably. Ultimately quangos are responsible for it. From cast to crew to writers. FC has become an RTE institution that depends on dopey viewers too lazy to state how crap it is and it is crap.

Apologies for the slight rant, but I come from a creative background and found tonights episode of Eastenders to be a really easy thing to do if you actually care about what you are doing.

I enjoy the crap acting the abysmal story's and the overall inconcisty of FC.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

I enjoy the crap acting the abysmal story's and the overall inconcisty of FC.... :)

I thought there was some very good script writing this week in places, Hayley's demolishing of Kerri-Ann when she likened her IQ to that of a bowl of soup and Charlotte's response to Tommy when he asked her what her brother would think of her knicking Cass's poitin, she said he'll get over it, its not like I left him to die in a fire. Found both those scenes genuinely funny. Think Charlotte and Hayley both good actors too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I like fair city sometimes it's actually better than a lot of soaps....

The only one I can think of who has never cheated on their wife /partner is Charlie... There could be more faithful couples but I can't think of any.

• Advertisement

The only one I can think of who has never cheated on their wife /partner is Charlie... There could be more faithful couples but I can't think of any.

Did Dermot cheat? I don't think he did?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

Yes, it's crap most of the time and we all enjoy a whinge and a laugh at it but I disagree with most of your statement. Eastenders/BBC have a massive budget and a much wider audience in multiple countries. Same goes for Corrie and Emmerdale as well. The problem with FC is the way it's structured. You get a block of episodes all centred on a few characters. Most of the time it goes on for months until we want to kill each and every one of them and then they disappear, sometimes without explanation, for many months. And in the mean time FC has recycled the format with another few characters and we are left pining for the others to reappear!

Yes, the writing is very questionable (****e) most the time but honestly most of us wouldn't even be here on this thread if it was 100%. And the actors? Well yes, a few of them are crap. But I've seen half of them in other things - another series, Irish films, and even seen a few of them in plays. The ones I've seen in Druid productions have each been outstanding on the stage.

And at least FC provides comic moments, mostly unintended. As someone who watched Eastenders on and off for 20 years, you'd find more comedy in dirty dish water. :p

fin12 wrote: »
    Did Dermot cheat? I don't think he did?

Didn’t he have a fling with Deirdre?

He actually didn't, I thought it was heading that way but they never kissed or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

In my opinion humble as it is , Fair City doesn't employ a list of potential Oscar winners but the last six weeks have seen it operate using only the B team . Where's Paul Jane Niamh Doug etc ? The story with the doctor and the joker is the most dragged out thing I've ever seen and for what ?? The pay off at the end will also be underwhelming. The cast dominating the current main story lines are as likable as a bucket of warm piss !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Deirdre Barlow???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Charlie cheats constantly.

When he is charles, He brings out his posh "lady" which he takes out for public grandeur, for formal situations such as his official roles e.g. when he was chairman of the Carrigstown Business Association, his involvement with the Community Centre and his role as former Mayor. He occasionally brings "her" out when talking down to another resident, patronising and condescending. Funerals and other tragic events may also see "her" appearance in public. "She" is an unfathomably and non justified headwrecking snob who has only come into "her" own since Mags passed away. It was "her" who berated Charlies red head grandson when he had a baby out of wedlock.

However when he reemerges as Chas, whether amongst the lads like fellow bunnion sufferers Bella and Cass, or chatting in the Spar or having a nice dirty pint, he brings out his "northside hussy". This "lady" is great craic. "She" sees everyone for who they are and is proud and humble with regard "her" place in society, the people around "her" and her" roots. "She" seems to have empathy and with "her" Charlie can actually come across as sound. "She" rarely is seen with him though anymore, some say that once Charlie started his official roles and abandoned places like The Hungry Pig for a burger and started dining on tinned tomatos and lettuce in Vinos, "she" became frustrated. He still has an emotional griphold on "her" though and is able to persuade "her" to accompany him when the time befits.
    Sadly he doesn't think "she" is good enough for him though and is embarrased to be seen with "her" in formal situations.
    "She" does have a temper though. You will notice that when Charlie is angry, "she" is always there to be heard............

• Registered Users Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

sligojoek wrote: »
    Deirdre Barlow???

Do you not remember Deirdre, Ben's birth mother?

eh to be fair, they kind of do..................
    I would imagine, having a far superior budget than FC, EE can hire appropriate actors and scriptwriters.

Fair city have a pretty big budget 13 million a year plus all their sponsorship deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Missed it last few days, anything good happen???

Missed it last few days, anything good happen???

yeah, it took a break yesterday and one again today! thats about it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Heather and her gurning face needs a good slap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

eh to be fair, they kind of do..................
    I would imagine, having a far superior budget than FC, EE can hire appropriate actors and scriptwriters.

The FC budget is quite sizeable. It can afford to pay better writers and directors, which will in turn improve the acting. As for production values, little things like a street that has tarmac as fresh as the day it was laid, isn't acceptable. Attention to detail counts.

The general concensus that RTE doesn't have the budgets is BS of the highest order. They may not have the best of budgets, but they have continuously displayed a complete and total lack of ability to get the most out of budgets for inhouse productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Rejoice! Rejoice! This week sees the return of some of your favourite ( :eek:) characters, including
    Wayne the Pain and Screechin' Orla
    and Talking Bread's idols,
    Nina and Sasha

Try to contain yourselves, people. I know you're all excited, but please, calm down, calm down.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Bela looks like death warmed up

Jane is alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Missed the last week and have now caught up in 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Return to Lesbiana.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Grey Bela : ''I need your decision today. Today!''

For Jaysis sake, Bela, you're not Donald fcukin' Trump :mad:

All those house calls are bloody rediculous where's Heather getting all the money from?

Lesbnina and Sasha return, notJennifer Aniston and Wayne, Jane, no doubt Laura, they are all out if the woodwork.

Agģģgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh I can't listen to that horrible strained voice of Heather anyore. She Devil.

coolhull wrote: »
    Grey Bela : ''I need your decision today. Today!''

For Jaysis sake, Bela, you're not Donald fcukin' Trump :mad:

I never realised just how horrendous of an actor he is!!! He is abysmal!! Like worryingly so! He just ducks the energy out of everyone around him. Oh and standing on the bloody doorstep........ "I'll see myself out"... Sound Bella, your a decent gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Duuuurty nussss mustn't have went on weekend break.!

• Advertisement

Where is the station meant to be????? I thought it was just around the corner from everywhere else. Twice now csoimhe has referred to how close vinous is in comparison.

If Bella can walk to the door and see himself out on his own surely an extra 30 second walk wouldn't kill Caoimhe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement