Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v5] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Last time I saw a girl in a programme walk into the distance was Amber!
    But I've the feeling we're not going to be losing Ellie to soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

thats the episode that should have ran four weeks ago. good episode though. some great personality clashes between all of Bob, Farrah, Hughie, Ama against The Header. Particularly liked that little interaction with Hughie and The Header at the end before she got the smack of Nussy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Last time I saw a girl in a programme walk into the distance was Amber! But I've the feeling we're not going to be losing Ellie to soon.

Who's amber???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Heather is really playing a blinder, the actress that is!

It's funny, I hated Heather at the start and thought she was an absolute bitch and now I just feel really sorry for her as she's obviously not right in the head and needs help. I can't remember the last time I've found a Fair City storyline so compelling! I don't understand how RTE can sometimes produce such good storylines like this and then produce crap like the Pease/Rachel boring drivel. RTE produced the fantastic Love/Hate so why they can't put the same effort into a long running soap is beyond me.

A lot of the cast, well a good few, are actually very good actors given the right story. This munchasen by proxy plot is an example of that. I think the writing lets it down. The majority of the storylines are ridiculous (Pearse's app, anyone). If they focused on more hard hitting ones with capable actors then people would stop slagging it off and question why it's even on air!

However, the best part of this thread is laughing at how bad it is at times! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Lollipop95 wrote: »

It's funny, I hated Heather at the start and thought she was an absolute bitch and now I just feel really sorry for her as she's obviously not right in the head and needs help. I can't remember the last time I've found a Fair City storyline so compelling! I don't understand how RTE can sometimes produce such good storylines like this and then produce crap like the Pease/Rachel boring drivel. RTE produced the fantastic Love/Hate so why they can't put the same effort into a long running soap is beyond me.

A lot of the cast, well a good few, are actually very good actors given the right story. This munchasen by proxy plot is an example of that. I think the writing lets it down. The majority of the storylines are ridiculous (Pearse's app, anyone). If they focused on more hard hitting ones with capable actors then people would stop slagging it off and question why it's even on air!

Shows what they can do if they get their act together.... I think they might have gotten a new set of writers recently..

So, Dr Love was laughing with Heather about Ama being a virgin.. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Rte didnt produce Love Hate, they commisioned it.

Regarding the story, the plot is interesting but the application has been awful and far too drawn out. Other soaps are able to extend stories on account that the same storylines are spaced out whereas FC gives months of the same repetitive scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

If they focused on more hard hitting ones with capable actors then people would stop slagging it off and question why it's even on air!

You have nailed both aspects there. As I said before storylines are free and you are paying the actors anyway. A big budget is not required to make a decent soap.

But yes, we do laugh at it because it is generally very bad.

Back in days of old Brookside had the lowest of budgets in UK soap land, yet it had some simple yet astounding storylines.

Just ask Bob.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

So what ever happened to Header's book about the lives and loves of the people of Carrigstown? Where's her agent? AND did you'se see the filthies Extra Barman #4 gave Header?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Ellie won't make a great burglar....she made some racket leaving the room.

I think her jacket made the racket in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Cormdogg wrote: »
    So what ever happened to Header's book about the lives and loves of the people of Carrigstown? Where's her agent? AND did you'se see the filthies Extra Barman #4 gave Header?

Lol yeah, I noticed that, the sour puss on him :pac:
    Also loved Header's remark to Hughie - "shut your fat gob cos no one's interested".... Or words to that effect :D

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Lol yeah, I noticed that, the sour puss on him :pac:
    Also loved Header's remark to Hughie - "shut your fat gob cos no one's interested".... Or words to that effect :D

"shut your fat gob" She said something similar to Bob, telling him to MYOB! and her staying in Bob's house! ..... And Renee...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Bob : ''I think Heather needs medical help.''

Haven't you noticed, Bob? She's been under the doctor for weeks now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I think Fair city has been brilliant tonight, I think Heather definitely has bi polar disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Cormdogg wrote: »
    She'll have plenty of material for the book after this.

I had to take my two sons to see Liverpool u21s v Sligo Rovers this evening and forgot to set the timer. Looks like I'll have to set it for the repeat tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Alma saying she's going to start looking for a new job all she has to do is report Shane. Why should she have to go away and look for a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Remind me who's Mace?

Pierce☺

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

sligojoek wrote: »
    She'll have plenty of material for the book after this.

I had to take my two sons to see Liverpool u21s v Sligo Rovers this evening and forgot to set the timer. Looks like I'll have to set it for the repeat tomorrow.

Have you not tried the RTE Player on computer, Joe? It usually replays an hour after broadcast

http://www.rte.ie/drama/tv/featured/faircity/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

If I hear the word "app" again,I swear to god I'm going to throw something at the television.

coolhull wrote: »
    Have you not tried the RTE Player on computer, Joe? It usually replays an hour after broadcast

http://www.rte.ie/drama/tv/featured/faircity/
    Thanks CH but I couldn't be ar$ed. The laptop is an antique and whenever I try RTE player, it plays like there's a strobe light on it. Don't start me on the ads. The tv records onto a memory stick in top quality. I have it set and will see it tomorrow night

MelanieC wrote: »
    If I hear the word "app" again,I swear to god I'm going to throw something at the television.

What app? What have I missed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The actress who plays Heather is excellent and convincing that is certain. I would not feel sorry for the character though. It is all an act and if she is mentally ill it is as a total sociopath. She is manipulative and turns on the 'poor confused upset Heather' act for Renee who falls for it. She is devious and very much in charge of her emotions from what I have seen so far. A good fright is what she needs ... speaking of Love/Hate, I think she should have a meeting with Nidge in the back of a van to fix her once and for all!! She would come out of it puking on the street like that wrongly accused of Robbie's murder guy from season 1 and would not try anything devious again.

The actress who plays Heather is excellent and convincing that is certain. I would not feel sorry for the character though. It is all an act and if she is mentally ill it is as a total sociopath. She is manipulative and turns on the 'poor confused upset Heather' act for Renee who falls for it. She is devious and very much in charge of her emotions from what I have seen so far. A good fright is what she needs ... speaking of Love/Hate, I think she should have a meeting with Nidge in the back of a van to fix her once and for all!! She would come out of it puking on the street like that wrongly accused of Robbie's murder guy from season 1 and would not try anything devious again.

Yes. She never seems vurnerable. She's always in control.

I still have a problem with Brendan not been contacted or him being in contact, they have his number, Jesus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Grandeeod wrote: »
    You have nailed both aspects there. As I said before storylines are free and you are paying the actors anyway. A big budget is not required to make a decent soap.

But yes, we do laugh at it because it is generally very bad.

Back in days of old Brookside had the lowest of budgets in UK soap land, yet it had some simple yet astounding storylines.

Just ask Bob.:D

Very good alright!

I particularly remember some of these Brookside plots on Channel 4 too:

Incest plot - a brother+sister and how the parents padlocked bedrooms - the tension they managed to create was unreal. The father in the family turned up in Emmerdale as Jackson's father (Jackson was Aaron's first gay lover) a few years ago!

Bryan Murray (Bob in Fair City) who played Trevor Jordache a paedophile rapist in Brookside terrorised his wife & family and was also abusing his youngest daughter and ended up being stabbed and buried in plastic bag underneath patio in back yard. The wife and older daughter (played by Anna Friel) excellently portrayed.

The characters of Barry Grant and Jimmy Corkhill and portrayal as a druggie

The character Sinbad was ace - Corrie messed up with him big time!

Max - the TWO wifes in competition for his attention

Ron Dixon in shop only gets bored and has a mid-life crisis so; he ditches his wife Dee for a younger model the gobby Bev!

Simon and the religious cult that took over one of the houses in Brookside Close

Anna Friel's character involved with an older female role model and they begin a lesbian relationship...this was way ahead of it's time in mid '90s ish!

Then from about year 2000 onwards it went completely downhill and faded out

The actress who plays the role of Heather is a fantastic actress alright and is perfect playing such a character. There are so many sides from her emotional eyes going teary, her whole unpredictable demeanour, aggressive tone of voice, dramatic changes in mood and so on etc; I recall she displayed many of these characteristics when she was in the show previously with her screen husband Brendan the Doctor and there was also the Heather/Floyd incest storyline which was a powerful plot for the soap at the time.

I'm not a fan of the constant changing of Farrah Phelan over the years. The previous Farrah is now major character in RedRock on TV3 but she never impressed me a whole lot in Fair City or RedRock.

If any of the characters were given a good storyline they may excel.... Most of the cast just get repitive scenes, you all know them.... "I love you" .. " just give me 5 minutes", etc etc.......

If any of the characters were given a good storyline they may excel.... Most of the cast just get repitive scenes, you all know them.... "I love you" .. " just give me 5 minutes", etc etc.......

That's so very true

The type and range of storylines,
    Casting, actors chosen to portray certain roles not always most suited for the part
    Variety of stories
    Better linking up of plots from times past
    Script/dialogue could be improved in certain plots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Ok so I failed on day 1 of my Lenten FC fast. Wife has it on and it was either it or Operation Transformation (I still managed the last 5 minutes of that crap)

The episode was surprisingly good (well the Hedder scenes anyway)

We're still dragging out the heart stopping "random guy has no money shocker" storyline. Its gone on for about 3 weeks now. Look, some teenager has no money and can't afford to eat out / fix his bike etc - its hardly the edge of the seat stuff. One can only assume this going to be the next storyline after Hedder combusts and will be dragged out to a massive Easter Sunday episode where Paul realises Mace "has no money" and has been conning Sourpuss out of bags or chips for weeks on end while Doug the Turkey / Pigeon still can't figure out what to do with his bike (he changed the spark plugs - hardly rocket science, the guy is supposed to be some sort of tech genius)

Back in Hedder land, the red dress is back out and she'd clearly going mad. Me Daaa and Bob still seem to be the only 2 that have copped this. Meanwhile despite the fact that she's hanging out at Bobs all the time, Carrie, who is supposed to be Bobs bed warmer is nowhere to be seen and has disappeared off the planet. Her car has probably broken down again but because Doug needs a few days to change a couple of spark plugs she'll stay marooned in it until at least St Patricks Day

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Charleygal

How come no one noticed that Ellie was wearing that coat with the huge hood in bed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

I still have a problem with Brendan not been contacted or him being in contact, they have his number, Jesus :rolleyes:

I'd say there's a good chance he could be floating down the Amazon!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement