Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v5] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I always like to drop in one of my claims to fame ,is meeting a young Doug 6 or 7 years ago collecting glasses in a city centre bar off Dame Street. I drunkenly said hello and TOLD him he's in Fair City! He acknowledged my statement and was really friendly, same mannerisms and behaviour as his character. He was only just after starting acting so that's why he was working on the floor in a bar.

I genuinely think he isn't given a script just a story synopsis and he ad libs away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Quiet Girl

Doug was at my debs, 7 years ago now he came with one of the girls and he is actually a lovely fella but everyone just kept telling him all night he's in fair city and he was getting irritated toward the end was hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Oisin needs to meet Ben Mitchell

Ben-mitchel-YOU-NEED-SLAPPING-DOWN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Quiet Girl wrote: »
    Doug was at my debs, 7 years ago now he came with one of the girls and he is actually a lovely fella but everyone just kept telling him all night he's in fair city and he was getting irritated toward the end was hilarious :D
    Now someone should tell Charlie he's in Fair City, a rather sh1tty little amateurish soap.
    He's not in a Broadway production of Shakespeare's 'Othello'
    And no one is impressed with his stupid makey-uppy accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

coolhull wrote:
    And no one is impressed with his stupid makey-uppy accent.

I don't reckon that's a made up accent! Id say that's his real accent and he's basically phoning in his performance cause unlike the English soaps you're never gonna be axed. The only ones that seem to leave are the better actors / characters who have a chance of work elsewhere. ( Tracey / Robert / Louis ) the good ones leave without trace, the bad ones ( i'd be here all night if i started naming them) stay for life, regardless of how ****e the actor / character is! Nice work if u can get.

But u would think ONE person would say to Charlie .....'sorry now fella but you're supposed to be a born and bred northsider, any chance you could drop the d4)

• Advertisement

I don't reckon that's a made up accent! Id say that's his real accent and he's basically phoning in his performance cause unlike the English soaps you're never gonna be axed. The only ones that seem to leave are the better actors / characters who have a chance of work elsewhere. ( Tracey / Robert / Louis ) the good ones leave without trace, the bad ones ( i'd be here all night if i started naming them) stay for life, regardless of how ****e the actor / character is! Nice work if u can get.

But u would think ONE person would say to Charlie .....'sorry now fella but you're supposed to be a born and bred northsider, any chance you could drop the d4)

Have a listen to fair city for the first 20 years and you will realise that's not his natural accent. He is from north's ide Dublin, the actor. He used his normal accent then and although it's not as strong now when he occasionally uses it the ridiculous posh accent Is most definitely contrived. He tried to maintain it in the LLS special but his northside accent again came out every second sentence.

He used to be a likeable character but he is a smug old ar$e now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,826 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Have a listen to fair city for the first 20 years and you will realise that's not his natural accent. He is from north's ide Dublin, the actor. He used his normal accent then and although it's not as strong now when he occasionally uses it the ridiculous posh accent Is most definitely contrived. He tried to maintain it in the LLS special but his northside accent again came out every second sentence.

He used to be a likeable character but he is a smug old ar$e now.

I'm guessing he has a hang up or complex about his working class accent and is trying to sound posher but it sounds way too forced and artificial. Twink is another one with this problem.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I'm guessing he has a hang up or complex about his working class accent and is trying to sound posher but it sounds way too forced and artificial. Twink is another one with this problem.

I'll try and dig it out but there is an interview with the actor in last couple of years and he sounds like a right dose. You can almost read it in his posh accent!

It's precisely that. The actor has an awful snobbery and irrational disliking to the City. West of Ireland is so much better. Everyone is friendly. Buy there are "some" nice people left in Dublin.... (yes a city of 1.3million) you'd like to think there are "some" nice people there..........

http://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/fair-citys-tom-jordan-moves-from-dublin-after-77-years-as-he-felt-threatened-in-capital-34127933.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I don't know Robert but I'd be curious to know if the actors behind Tracey and Louis have gone onto better things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Ben Gadot wrote:
    I don't know Robert but I'd be curious to know if the actors behind Tracey and Louis have gone onto better things.

Don't know about Louis but I think Tracey is fairly big in theatre based work.

Robert was the guy with aspergers . Good actor / character. Think he was a physio. Brendans cousin. Cleos boyf ( another good character) Think Sheldon Cooper without the laughter track.

• Advertisement

I'll try and dig it out but there is an interview with the actor in last couple of years and he sounds like a right dose. You can almost read it in his posh accent!

It's precisely that. The actor has an awful snobbery and irrational disliking to the City. West of Ireland is so much better. Everyone is friendly. Buy there are "some" nice people left in Dublin.... (yes a city of 1.3million) you'd like to think there are "some" nice people there..........

http://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/fair-citys-tom-jordan-moves-from-dublin-after-77-years-as-he-felt-threatened-in-capital-34127933.html

Even if he doesn't want to sound "common", he could refine his Dublin accent a little without going to these extremes. Trying to sound posh after decades of having a working class accent is not working for him, it just sounds ridiculous and forced. It would be a bit like Barbara Windsor suddenly trying to sound like an English toff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Quiet Girl wrote: »

Poor Doug!

• Registered Users Posts: 56,163 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Even if he doesn't want to sound "common", he could refine his Dublin accent a little without going to these extremes. Trying to sound posh after decades of having a working class accent is not working for him, it just sounds ridiculous and forced. It would be a bit like Barbara Windsor suddenly trying to sound like an English toff.

Exactly. A subtle change is all that is needed. Just shows that he is not capable of that as he is going to extremes, and instead of sounding decent and well spoken, he sounds fake and ridiculous. He's not alone here. Many people do this and end up sounding ridiculous. A ceratin UFC fighter springs to mind, although he tries to sound more comprehensible as opposed to more posh!

You know what's the opposite of Tom Jordan?

walshb wrote: »
    Exactly. A subtle change is all that is needed. Just shows that he is not capable of that as he is going to extremes, and instead of sounding decent and well spoken, he sounds fake and ridiculous. He's not alone here. Many people do this and end up sounding ridiculous. A ceratin UFC fighter springs to mind, although he tries to sound more comprehensible as opposed to more posh!

You know what's the opposite of Tom Jordan?

Mcgregor would have been told to redefine his accent for marketing purposes in the USA.
    He smartly tones it down so that he can be understood.. As an Irish man that worked in the US I understand the annoyance of having to always repeat myself haha.. i dont think he even had any coaching he was just smart enough to change his pronunciation.

He got bashed for this by the Irish who thought he was trying to sound American. But you would have to live in the US to understand why. Well those who were not smart enough to conjure it up themselves

Mcgregor is one man who doesn't shy from his roots, in fact he plays to them more and more. I couldn't stand him at first buy he I'd a brilliant figure for modern day working class Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 86,727 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope Oisin seduces Niamh and lights her up like a Christmas tree :p

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Judging by her attitude towards him, it's more likely he'll to blow her fuse.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I think wee Oisin would rather blow another type of fuse!

FC have no gays in the village. He makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think wee Oisin would rather blow another type of fuse!

FC have no gays in the village. He makes sense.

I wonder where is comes from, the guy who plays him I mean.

Can't work out the accent when he talks.

I wonder where is comes from, the guy who plays him I mean.

Can't work out the accent when he talks.

Funnily enough, he sounds almost identical to Pierce. I wonder where they're both from as their accents are really similar.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, he sounds almost identical to Pierce. I wonder where they're both from as their accents are really similar.

Ah he doesn't really sound like Pierce at all at all!!!

Oisin looks like a smarter version of Mr. Bean!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Oisin looks like a smarter version of Mr. Bean![/QUOTE

I bet just like Emmet, Cass and Paul, Oisin never takes that coat off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Surely they could find someone with a Cork accent to fill the role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Graigmanliam

She's using Dettol instead of spring fresh mr sheen, was using it myself today, lovely scent around the boudoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

So that's the Damo/Tommy/Pete story over, ok grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Graigmanliam

I think this show needs to be cancelled asap, rte should make a rural soap, not as boggy as ros na run or Glenroe but like Ballykissangel (yes i know it's not soap) you get the idea

That 3 wise men joke was hilarious

Chocked on my rice cake lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Wheel chair basketball is like the Premier league in Carrigstown. Oisin, riding models in a hot tub? Yea right. I would love to see what a focus group of non Irish people would think of fair city? I'm also confused, Doug is hangin around with 18 year olds now he's hangin out with Alma/Amma whose last squeeze was a Doctor???? And again, does Sourpus not live in the Pod? Is there like a night porter who looks after it? So sheeeite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

"my graaaaaaaaaaonnd uncle" ah now Charlie. Put the posh away.

They're talking about Ow-sheen like he's a new puppy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement