Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v5] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What bag is this???

It was a very serious issue back in the day. Luckily Deegan was pulled from murder and assault investigations to look for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Strazdas wrote: »
    She's still implausibly integrated into the local community. My next door neighbours in Dublin are from Swaziland, a mum, two teenage girls and a teenage boy and they are really friendly and outgoing and have been here for a good few years but they all have black friends of all ages coming and going.

So what! Different strokes for different folks! Ama had a deep resentment towards her experience in Africa. Maybe she wanted to build a new life and integrating into a new community WHERE SHE LIVES AND WORKS is hardly odd. I know many people who have moved to Ireland from different countries wh, whilst they respect their homeland and miss their family and friends don't feel obliged to make concerted efforts to ensure they meet up with fellow countrymen/women. My South African friend moved over midway through 6th year and i honestly havent seen him hang out with any other South Africans bar family and visiting relatives. He was straight away integrated into the irish community through school and like Ama was as Irish as us within a couple of years, in fact less. Similarly a Latvian girl I know. Found herself an Irish boyfriend a few months after moving over and just hangs out with his extended family and friends.

Ama has no friends and family with her so it's not as if she is likely to bump into a fellow African and just assume friendship. You see a lot of Chinese and Brazilians stick to their own but they tend to go to English college initially where they form strong bonds or work together. Ditto Indians.

Ama has never schooled, studied, lived near, worked with etc any fellow ethnicity in Dublin where she originated from, nor does she have any family or friends here from home. This is where a vast majority of friendships originate so to say it's implausible is silly.

Also as I said it's a soap and the majority of soap characters don't have friends outside fellow cast members. No doubt in the future the opening stands for another African member of the community to arrive and it can be assumed Ama may have other friendships outside the cast who she visits every 3 months for two or three months but right now they just aren't cast members!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

So what! Different strokes for different folks! Ama had a deep resentment towards her experience in Africa. Maybe she wanted to build a new life and integrating into a new community WHERE SHE LIVES AND WORKS is hardly odd. I know many people who have moved to Ireland from different countries wh, whilst they respect their homeland and miss their family and friends don't feel obliged to make concerted efforts to ensure they meet up with fellow countrymen/women. My South African friend moved over midway through 6th year and i honestly havent seen him hang out with any other South Africans bar family and visiting relatives. He was straight away integrated into the irish community through school and like Ama was as Irish as us within a couple of years, in fact less. Similarly a Latvian girl I know. Found herself an Irish boyfriend a few months after moving over and just hangs out with his extended family and friends.

Ama has no friends and family with her so it's not as if she is likely to bump into a fellow African and just assume friendship. You see a lot of Chinese and Brazilians stick to their own but they tend to go to English college initially where they form strong bonds or work together. Ditto Indians.

Ama has never schooled, studied, lived near, worked with etc any fellow ethnicity in Dublin where she originated from, nor does she have any family or friends here from home. This is where a vast majority of friendships originate so to say it's implausible is silly.

Also as I said it's a soap and the majority of soap characters don't have friends outside fellow cast members. No doubt in the future the opening stands for another African member of the community to arrive and it can be assumed Ama may have other friendships outside the cast who she visits every 3 months for two or three months but right now they just aren't cast members!!

All I said initially was that it was implausible that Ama as a recent immigrant from Zambia would have so many white Irish men interested in her and that she would be interested in them in return. Do you know any Irish guys who have an African girlfriend? I can't say I've seen any such couples around Dublin, it would definitely be rare.

Strazdas wrote: »
    All I said initially was that it was implausible that Ama as a recent immigrant from Zambia would have so many white Irish men interested in her and that she would be interested in them in return. Do you know any Irish guys who have an African girlfriend? I can't say I've seen any such couples around Dublin, it would definitely be rare.

My South African friend has had many a girlfriend of course. As I said he hangs around with the friends he's made here. And I've many a time seen mixed race couples especially in Dublin.
    There are many marriages emerging from the Brazilian masses between Irish nationals that have settled here ovet the last decade.
    Many Africans marry very young and then emigrate. There arent a lot of single young Africans in Ireland unless they moved with their parents. So i imagine over the next twenty years interacial marriages, like in the USA will become a norm.

Why wouldn't irish men be interested in her anyway! She's very good looking girl and she works hard. Damien fell for her because of their bond after he helped her through her immigration ordeal and Dr. Big Eyes worked alongside her! Doug has lived with her.3 perfectly normal relationship springboards!

Also Ama must be a few years here now, hardly recent, and is very much part of the community!

There are plentry of issues to nitpick on FC but Ama's boyfriends nationality and friendships are fairly normal and plausible the way her story has played out.

Ps let's just agree to disagree! We are suckling the humour out of the thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ps let's just agree to disagree! We are suckling the humour out of the thread!

I should stress by the way that it's not the issue of Ama's skin colour that I'm alluding to, much more so the fact that she's a recent immigrant from another continent, meaning there would be strong cultural differences to contend with. I think a black or mixed race girl who has grown up in Ireland would be in a different situation to Ama (and may well be more likely to have Irish friends and perhaps not feel so much of a bond with immigrants).

The big question in any event is, when are The Ram and Ama going to get it on? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Hughie, where ever he is, is going to have to bar people if they keep hanging out in his pub and not ordering drinks. So is Stripey going to jail or not for manslaughter? Is Charlie selling his house? Are Damo-Pete-Tommy still out of love? Why is Oisin spending his time in Dublin only hanging around Carrigstown? Pleeeeeease someone explain the 6 weeks on 6 weeks off thing for me, is it really a thing?

Even Oisin using da! Is there some fcuking clause in FC that only ma and da are allowed when referring to one's mammy and daddy?

Front of house! FRONT OF HOUSE! Could they pay for a shave and haircut for Oisin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

"An ego the size of the Tipp hurlers!"

Go on Caoimhe!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Wow the Kilkenny Ram is alive in Caoimhe tonight.

Criticise in private. Praise in public. At least someone has an ounce of sense out of Don Brennan's kids!

dogcat wrote: »
    Wow the Kilkenny Ram is alive in Caoimhe tonight.

That just doesn't read the way I believe you intend!

How many businesses has Charlit started in the last few months?

"I phoned ahead"

I'm lovin Niamh at the moment

Cormdogg wrote: »
    I'm lovin Niamh at the moment

How she's pussyfooting around Oisin after him calling her a whore a few days ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭VickieVexed1

walshb wrote: »
    How she's pussyfooting around Oisin after him calling her a whore a few days ago?

If I were her, I'd been stocking up on laxatives to feed to the little *******.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I enjoyed the discussion (on this thread) about Ama and her friends..

As she's so religious, I'd say she goes to church and sings in a choir (I love that type of church) she'd have friends there.. FC doesn't show or mention religious stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The state of Doug as he was talking to Emmet in the pub about the doc cheating on Ama. His head and hands were going everywhere.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the discussion (on this thread) about Ama and her friends..

As she's so religious, I'd say she goes to church and sings in a choir (I love that type of church) she'd have friends there.. FC doesn't show or mention religious stuff like that.

Unlike every other soap which does.............. any religious soap member becomes as controversial as any other cast member. Fair City had a massive religious story years ago anyway.

Those Gospel churches aren't attended by every African, religious or not! Just like mass isn't attended by a lot of religious irish people. Maybe she does go though. I'm sure we may get some connections for Ama in the foreseeable future....the last character friend made for a forgettable plot.

But like all soaps we are left to assume maybe they have other pals!

Why don't we see Katies college friends? Or Sourpuss'. Or Aunt Kitty. Surely Bob has friends,Meeeeeeeeeeeeèe Daaaaaa, Orla, Caoimhe, Deco, Laura, Dean, Mondo, Sean They all just hang around or go out with residents like all soaps! Soaps are incestuous in cast relationships (I don't mean the Dingle! )

As I said Ama's story of her immigration and growth into the community has played out on screen. The people she went out with played a big part in her life. She had no family or friends here when she arrived just her bag..........and she lost that! The residents helped her and she fell for one of them. She got a job and a year or two later started dating the new Doctor.

99% of Fair City is filmed on set so it's hard to facilitate other aspects of their lives. We all know how soaps work, 30 or 40 residents stuck in a bubble with new entrants coming every now and then! Bug we can assume I guess they have other mates.

It's a good debate but of course I am right : D !!!!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    The state of Doug as he was talking to Emmet in the pub about the doc cheating on Ama. His head and hands were going everywhere.

I've noticed his mouth movements moreso these days!! He never stops moving them! Like he's chewing grass like a cow!
    He constantly shrugs his shoulders also! For no reason!!

His brain must be going a mile an hour sending signals for all that bodily twerking/movement!!

Unlike every other soap which does.............. any religious soap member becomes as controversial as any other cast member. Fair City had a massive religious story years ago anyway.

Those Gospel churches aren't attended by every African, religious or not! Just like mass isn't attended by a lot of religious irish people. Maybe she does go though. I'm sure we may get some connections for Ama in the foreseeable future....the last character friend made for a forgettable plot.

But like all soaps we are left to assume maybe they have other pals!

Why don't we see Katies college friends? Or Sourpuss'. Or Aunt Kitty. Surely Bob has friends,Meeeeeeeeeeeeèe Daaaaaa, Orla, Caoimhe, Deco, Laura, Dean, Mondo, Sean They all just hang around or go out with residents like all soaps! Soaps are incestuous in cast relationships (I don't mean the Dingle! )

As I said Ama's story of her immigration and growth into the community has played out on screen. The people she went out with played a big part in her life. She had no family or friends here when she arrived just her bag..........and she lost that! The residents helped her and she fell for one of them. She got a job and a year or two later started dating the new Doctor.

99% of Fair City is filmed on set so it's hard to facilitate other aspects of their lives. We all know how soaps work, 30 or 40 residents stuck in a bubble with new entrants coming every now and then! Bug we can assume I guess they have other mates.

It's a good debate but of course I am right : D !!!!!

Bread, you really need to stop taking FC so seriously, relax :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭VickieVexed1

I popped on here tonight to read and post about FC in general....and have a laugh.

Hadn't realised it had turned into the Ama/Alma thread. Almost as boring as the show itself now.

I popped on here tonight to read and post about FC in general....and have a laugh.

Hadn't realised it had turned into the Ama/Alma thread. Almost as boring as the show itself now.

It was a good discussion though, don't you think, Vicki? :)

Bread, you really need to stop taking FC so seriously, relax :)

"FLOWER" it was a general reply to people who were asking why doesn't an African soap character hang around witg other Africans and why is she getting so much interest by irish people. If anyone was taking it seriously it was them. It was a pretty simplistic reply, disregarding it's length. You posed a point, I replied.

This is more a general point rather than Fair City specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

As much as I dislike oisin I'm really hoping he hangs around to p off niamh.
    I missed it tonight, much happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

As much as I dislike oisin I'm really hoping he hangs around to p off niamh.
    I missed it tonight, much happening?

Nope.

Charlit & Oisin are going into business.

Sourpuss doesn't like it.

Ama is a nuss.

"FLOWER" it was a general reply to people who were asking why doesn't an African soap character hang around witg other Africans and why is she getting so much interest by irish people. If anyone was taking it seriously it was them. It was a pretty simplistic reply, disregarding it's length. You posed a point, I replied.

This is more a general point rather than Fair City specifically.

You're very intense with some of your replys... You really do seem like you want to get 'on top' of the the debate... You just seems aggressive when putting your point across, if someone is winning a argument with you, you'd say something like "leave it, move on" ..... I'm not just saying that because of our history....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ive more than one friend...........

But would you be friends with the girl who cheated with and stole your fella

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement