Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v5] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoapFan27

Has Jackie left for her new job yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

desbrook wrote: »
    His father went on to marry Niamh therefore she's his stepmother. What am I missing?

niamh did not take the place of his mother. there was no divorce, no passing away of his birth mother, duch as is the definition of step mother. in fact callum met his father and niamh for the first time when he was an adult. i dont think you can consider that she provided him with any motherly care, can you? she essentially was his fathers wife and now she is nothing to him! that would be my reading of the situation. he would have never referred to her as his stepmother before yet he pulls it put of the bag last night.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

niamh did not take the place of his mother. there was no divorce, no passing away of his birth mother, duch as is the definition of step mother. in fact callum met his father and niamh for the first time when he was an adult. i dont think you can consider that she provided him with any motherly care, can you? she essentially was his fathers wife and now she is nothing to him! that would be my reading of the situation. he would have never referred to her as his stepmother before yet he pulls it put of the bag last night.....

That's not the definition of stepmother. It's just your interpretation of it.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/stepmother

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/stepmother

anyway, if you have a different interpretation thats your opinion. I, for one, can't see niamh falling under that realm though so that is why i laughed when he threw it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

It is the actual definition of Stepmother - but I reckon it has been updated to this; "a woman that your father marries after his marriage to or relationship with your mother has ended"

Seeing as Paul did have a relationship with Jane albeit short and it had ended and then he married Niamh - it does make Niamh, Callum's Stepmother if he wants to call her so - isn't Niamh also stepmum to Rachel, (or did she adopt her, not sure)

• Advertisement

SoapFan27 wrote: »
    Has Jackie left for her new job yet?

the whole jackie and neil arrival period was one of the most bizarre months i FC history, and that is saying something. They achieved nothing being there, their stories will not impact on any characters in their wake, they were both being set up for stories yet the writers seemed to run out of ideas or just couldnt be @rsed pursuing same stories so they packed them off before Doug could shake his head and let out a sigh. It was like they won a competition to guest star in Fair city for 3 weeks, work experience even!

Pretzill wrote: »
    It is the actual definition of Stepmother - but I reckon it has been updated to this; "a woman that your father marries after his marriage to or relationship with your mother has ended"

Seeing as Paul did have a relationship with Jane albeit short and it had ended and then he married Niamh - it does make Niamh, Callum's Stepmother if he wants to call her so - isn't Niamh also stepmum to Rachel, (or did she adopt her, not sure)

would you consider a one night stand a relationship?! god, you have me thinking now..............!

Rachel is different. Helen died and Niamh essentially "stepped" in to take up motherly duties on her behalf. I think she adopted her also. Rachel has been cared for by Niam most of her life. Callum arrived up to paul when he was 19 so in my opinion Niamh never took it upon herself to provide any motherly duties to him.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/stepmother

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/stepmother

anyway, if you have a different interpretation thats your opinion. I, for one, can't see niamh falling under that realm though so that is why i laughed when he threw it out!

http://i.word.com/idictionary/stepmother

I see your Oxford and I raise you Webster!! Not sure this is doing any good other than prove you can find any definition that suits on Google!!

http://i.word.com/idictionary/stepmother

I see your Oxford and I raise you Webster!! Not sure this is doing any good other than prove you can find any definition that suits on Google!!

listen i have given you a very valid reason why niamh doesnt fall under the category of step mother for callum but you are disagreeing for the sake of it! I am more interested in practicality of the situation and in practical terms, Callum is not Niamhs stepson.

if, god forbid, your parents split up and you were, say 40 years of age. and your father remarried. would you consider her your step mother....

i envisage you probably will for the sake of disagreement so lets just leave it there!

Ps, webster online dictionary is an americanised wikipedia of a source so definitely not a higher source than my two sources!

Was Nicola Callums stepmother.................

Was Helen.....................

Is Pete Wayne's step father to be.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

would you consider a one night stand a relationship?! god, you have me thinking now..............!

When it results in a child yes! When it results in that child (now a grown teen) turning up on your doorstep - fostering a relationship with his birth father - moving in to live with birth father and his wife (said wife who was extremely trusting and put up with a lot of rubbish in the beginning from this troubled young fella) might be nice for Niamh that he considers her a mother figure and in light of Niamh and now Jane have both affected the grid in Carraigstown because of been lit up like xmas trees by the same lover - I can even see why Callum would use the term 'stepmother' in an exasperated manner.

But then it's soap when Michael eventually falls for Rachel I can see Callum using step sister in the same fashion. ;)

Pretzill wrote: »
    When it results in a child yes! When it results in that child (now a grown teen) turning up on your doorstep - fostering a relationship with his birth father - moving in to live with birth father and his wife (said wife who was extremely trusting and put up with a lot of rubbish in the beginning from this troubled young fella) might be nice for Niamh that he considers her a mother figure and in light of Niamh and now Jane have both affected the grid in Carraigstown because of been lit up like xmas trees by the same lover - I can even see why Callum would use the term 'stepmother' in an exasperated manner.

But then it's soap when Michael eventually falls for Rachel I can see Callum using step sister in the same fashion. ;)

so a sexual encounter becomes a relationship when the woman becomes pregnant but not when they dont?! Jane and Paul have more of a relationshi now than they did for that few drunken hours in new York! They are tied by mutual parentage to Callum.

Listen lets just leave this. I for one would never consider Callum to be Niamhs step son. Especially now that they are divorcing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Since when do nuuuses shave peoples heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I know, Dolores is a hairdresser, she gets on well with the ditzy wan who's also a hairdresser, and yet she gets the nusss to shave her head for her?! Spare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

dee_mc wrote: »
    I know, Dolores is a hairdresser, she gets on well with the ditzy wan who's also a hairdresser, and yet she gets the nusss to shave her head for her?! Spare me.

Well, they never seem to get any customers in the salon, so maybe they don't trust each other to do a proper haircut :o

When Dolores cut Jackie's hair, well, I don't need to go on ..........

listen i have given you a very valid reason why niamh doesnt fall under the category of step mother for callum but you are disagreeing for the sake of it! I am more interested in practicality of the situation and in practical terms, Callum is not Niamhs stepson.

if, god forbid, your parents split up and you were, say 40 years of age. and your father remarried. would you consider her your step mother....

i envisage you probably will for the sake of disagreement so lets just leave it there!

Ps, webster online dictionary is an americanised wikipedia of a source so definitely not a higher source than my two sources!

Unbelievable.....you are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

^^^^

Oh, God, this stuff about step-kids/stepmothers is boring.
    Its a soap, (and a bad one at that)
    If all the kids in Carrigstown stood out in the street and shouted ''Mammy, Daddy, I want you'', then at this stage the whole cast, and maybe the crew as well, would come running

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

This stuff about step-kids/stepmother....... Is more entertaining than FC. :-D

coolhull wrote: »
    ^^^^

Oh, God, this stuff about step-kids/stepmothers is boring.
    Its a soap, (and a bad one at that)
    If all the kids in Carrigstown stood out in the street and shouted ''Mammy, Daddy, I want you'', then at this stage the whole cast, and maybe the crew as well, would come running

Its a light hearted thread! And I found humour in the fact that Callum regards Niamh as his step mother!! That is all! And I stand by it. It was just a cheap insult to get his point across against Michael!

Anyway I cant wait to see if Wayne regards Pete as his step father......................

Unbelievable.....you are hilarious.

why thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

So that's what she has been hiding in her bag all this time, a hair clippers that she has been itching to use. No wonder she was so protective of her bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Callum referring to Niamh as his stepmother is pathetic. He can't stand the woman, and knows her all of 5 seconds....

Still waiting on the prodigal son

So that's what she has been hiding in her bag all this time, a hair clippers that she has been itching to use. No wonder she was so protective of her bag.

in Zambia she worked in the equivalent of Peter Mark and was one of the top hair stylists, now here in ireland her qualifications are laughed at. so sad. ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭xMallx

A very hated character returns to fair city in the coming days.

xMallx wrote: »
    Next week a very hated character returns to fair city.

Ah come on, narrow it down! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Ah come on, narrow it down! :D
    Charlotte Bishop

dogcat wrote: »
    Charlotte Bishop

Ugh! You're spot on with that description so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

walshb wrote: »
    Callum referring to Niamh as his stepmother is pathetic. He can't stand the woman, and knows her all of 5 seconds....

But that's entirely besides the point! She is his father's wife so legally is his stepmother,regardless of how long he knows her or what he thinks of her! He only knows Paul that long too,doesn't make him any less his father!

I don't mean to bore anyone but I really don't get how anyone would find any ambiguity here! If your parents are not together & marry other people,those people then become your stepparents. If they have children of their own prior to marrying your parent,those children would then become your stepsiblings.

So yeah,when Pete marries Dolores he will of course become Wayne's stepfather because he will be legally married to his mother.

Had Mondo & KerriAnn got married,she would've been Juliet's stepmother. If Carol & Robbie married,he would then become Jack's stepfather.......etc etc.

Sorry for going on but I don't get the problem?! This isn't rocket science,it's normal everyday stuff! I'm perplexed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I don't think callum hates Niamh, he was upset with her for leaving with Michael but that's natural. She was behaving like a stepmom to him, they all lived together when he arrived and she did all the usual parental stuff. Then when Paul's alleged affair with Jane was going on, Niamh threw Paul out of the house and there were a few nauseating scenes with herself and Callum where she was being all pancake faced, stopping him from leaving and declaring "you are still part of this family, nothing ha hanged"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement