Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v5] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The other soaps have budgets 3 or 4 times the amount of FC and draw in 10 times the viewers so its logic. As I said 4 times is far too many episodes for a soap like FC who have a tiny cast and relatively poor storys.

But RTE were the ones that decided to show the show four days a week, I wouldn't make any excuses for RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

fin12 wrote: »
    But RTE were the ones that decided to show the show four days a week, I wouldn't make any excuses for RTE.

I explained some of the reasons why RTE don't show it: viewing figures/budgetary constraints. That is the official line. I can only relay what I know!!

I am not making excuses for RTE but I am pointing out it isn't the end of the world and I am also pointing out 4 times a week is too many as it can't seem to maintain a storyline without essentially repeating scenes, dialogue and going through motions with no development because it has 4 episodes. Eastenders has 4 episodes with 3 times as many cast members and a clearly superior writing team.

Emmerdale puts out 6 and it does a great job but again they have a much bigger cast crew and better writers/stories.

There has been calls for Coronation Street to cut one of the 8.30 episodes as they dont have the quality for it anymore and a lot of episodes are filler episodes with nothing going on.

I wasn't defending RTE, I was just pointing out that in the long term they should think about dropping an episode as it may improve the quality of the storylines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Can't believe Caoimhe is only pregnant, I'd forgotten about Damo not wanting kids though.

Now can we go back to complaining how bad the show is!!!

I explained some of the reasons why RTE don't show it: viewing figures/budgetary constraints. That is the official line. I can only relay what I know!!

I am not making excuses for RTE but I am pointing out it isn't the end of the world and I am also pointing out 4 times a week is too many as it can't seem to maintain a storyline without essentially repeating scenes, dialogue and going through motions with no development because it has 4 episodes. Eastenders has 4 episodes with 3 times as many cast members and a clearly superior writing team.

Emmerdale puts out 6 and it does a great job but again they have a much bigger cast crew and better writers/stories.

There has been calls for Coronation Street to cut one of the 8.30 episodes as they dont have the quality for it anymore and a lot of episodes are filler episodes with nothing going on.

I wasn't defending RTE, I was just pointing out that in the long term they should think about dropping an episode as it may improve the quality of the storylines.

We will have to agree to disagree.:):):):)

• Advertisement

dee_mc wrote: »
    Can't believe Caoimhe is only pregnant, I'd forgotten about Damo not wanting kids though.

Hopefully it will split them up! Caoimhe is wasted being this loved up housewife to Damo "I am hilarious" Halpin

We will have to agree to disagree.:):):):)

But what are we disagreeing about!! Is it that you think FC has the quality of storyline development to maintain a 4 day week? Or is it that you dont care and just want to watch it regardless!! Each is fair enough! Its your opinion :) Sunday is always a filler episode on FC anyway, very little happens

Hopefully it will split them up! Caoimhe is wasted being this loved up housewife to Damo "I am hilarious" Halpin

I think they're an ok couple, could see her having a spark with the doc though, especially if he gets together with Nuss Ama and finds himself supporting Caoimhe through the pregnancy.

dee_mc wrote: »
    I think they're an ok couple, could see her having a spark with the doc though, especially if he gets together with Nuss Ama and finds himself supporting Caoimhe through the pregnancy.

I mean her character has completely changed and she is now merely defined by her relationship with Damien! She has barely had a story in a year and a half I dont think!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Patrick Wheelock

I presume by "Easties" you mean Eastenders.......

Because Bank Holiday Monday is essentially a "school night". IE a vast majority of viewers will go out on Sunday bank holidays as there is no work the next day or go away for the weekend. The Monday viewing figures are less disrupted, in fact B.H. Mondays and other public holidays see higher viewing figures than other work week days. RTE see this as an opportunity to cut a show without too much disruption. Given they throw out 4 shows a week for a low budget, small cast list soap 4 days a week is pretty good return.

Anyway BBC produce Eastenders, not RTE. There is no UK soaps on on a Sunday night or Saturday night for the above reasons. Its just a traditional thing. Coronation street tried sunday nights for a year and half but weren't getting great figures as reality shows like X Factor/Strictly were emerging so they ditched it.

If that's the case then why do RTE bother transmitting any programmes on the Sunday night of a bank holiday weekend?

• Advertisement

I mean her character has completely changed and she is now merely defined by her relationship with Damien! She has barely had a story in a year and a half I dont think!

She was fairly prominent in the storyline surrounding her dad impregnating Orla, and in the neverending diagnosis storyline. I used to hate her character, then liked her more when she got together with Damo, but they have definitely watered down her character in recent months. Disappointing that they just dropped the idea of her going back to study medicine, she seems fine with just working in the station lately.

Oh god Orla and junior again my god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

As someone who never wants kids myself, I'll be interested to see how Damo reacts to the news that Caoimhe is pregnant.
    I'm also enjoying Neil's storyline a lot - good to see Fair City doing storylines on such an important issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Patrick Wheelock

As someone who never wants kids myself,

Why do you hate them so much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Because goats eat all round them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Who said I hated them? Just not interested in having any of my own. There's plenty of people in the world who don't want to have children.

If that's the case then why do RTE bother transmitting any programmes on the Sunday night of a bank holiday weekend?

I dont know!!! I am not a spokesperson! As I have said I am just relaying the information they have put out. Its a Fair City budgetary decision. I cant answer anymore!! Maybe tweet or email them?!! I dont think they are doing it to specifically annoy fans but to cut costs. I'd also like to see a definitive reason so it can put an end to all the questions every bank holiday!!! :D:D All I can say is most of the shows that seem to go out on these Sundays are imported shows or Irish shows from a non - RTE production company. Anyway I would hazard a guess they would have lost 2/3 of their audience on Sunday with the BGT final.

Anyway if anyone is kind enogh to email/tweet RTE to get a definitive answer, it would be great!!

51777276.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

So now we are going to be subjected to weeks of Caoimhe and Damo: Will I tell him, won't I tell him, will I keep it, will I get rid of it.

Watched the movie 'Marley and Me' yesterday and am now convinced that not only does Orla base herself on Jennifer Aniston, but Wayne thinks he's Eoin Wilson. I suppose in time Junior will develop into a character like Marley the dog.

I dont know!!! I am not a spokesperson! As I have said I am just relaying the information they have put out. Its a Fair City budgetary decision. I cant answer anymore!! Maybe tweet or email them?!! I dont think they are doing it to specifically annoy fans but to cut costs. I'd also like to see a definitive reason so it can put an end to all the questions every bank holiday!!! :D:D All I can say is most of the shows that seem to go out on these Sundays are imported shows or Irish shows from a non - RTE production company. Anyway I would hazard a guess they would have lost 2/3 of their audience on Sunday with the BGT final.

Anyway if anyone is kind enogh to email/tweet RTE to get a definitive answer, it would be great!!

It is indeed to do with the budget. They have a budget to do 200 episodes per year. However 52 weeks by 4 = 208, so they use certain Bank Holidays and events like Rose of Tralee/Eurovision/Irish World Cup matches where they'll see a smaller percentage of viewing figures to drop those 8 extra days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

So now we are going to be subjected to weeks of Caoimhe and Damo: Will I tell him, won't I tell him, will I keep it, will I get rid of it.

Watched the movie 'Marley and Me' yesterday and am now convinced that not only does Orla base herself on Jennifer Aniston, but Wayne thinks he's Eoin Wilson. I suppose in time Junior will develop into a character like Marley the dog.

It is so out of character for Caoimhe to sit there like a Gobeen while Damien acts like a dumbass interrupting her when she's telling him what doc says! He didn't even care enough to wait for an answer! The real Caoimhe would have put him in his place and been honest

Makes me wonder are they going to run an abortion trip to England storyline , unbeknownst to Damien....would RTE dare?!

Also, did Orlas pregnancy symptoms include collapsing all over the place too? I've never met anyone with that symptom...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

It is so out of character for Caoimhe to sit there like a Gobeen while Damien acts like a dumbass interrupting her when she's telling him what doc says! He didn't even care enough to wait for an answer! The real Caoimhe would have put him in his place and been honest

Makes me wonder are they going to run an abortion trip to England storyline ,unbeknownst to Damien....would RTE dare?!

Also, did Orlas pregnancy symptoms include collapsing all over the place too? I've never met anyone with that symptom...

no Orla was five or six months gone when she found out she was pregnant so we weren't subjected to any collapsing or fainting or drama - she was saving that for the ear saga

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

no Orla was five or six months gone when she found out she was pregnant so we weren't subjected to any collapsing or fainting or drama - she was saving that for the ear saga

Which somehow didn't end up in the IFTAs. Weird.

It is indeed to do with the budget. They have a budget to do 200 episodes per year. However 52 weeks by 4 = 208, so they use certain Bank Holidays and events like Rose of Tralee/Eurovision/Irish World Cup matches where they'll see a smaller percentage of viewing figures to drop those 8 extra days.

very logical explanation there! If they have a contract that stipulates that, it makes a lot of sense the days they choose to omit. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Does Hayley live locally now too?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Does Hayley live locally now too?

Local enough that she won't mind making the walk of shame/stride of pride on a Wednesday morning after Chef Neil gives her something tasty to eat after pulling her in a record 20 seconds in McCoys.................

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I thought meeeee da was down under with max?

But what are we disagreeing about!! Is it that you think FC has the quality of storyline development to maintain a 4 day week? Or is it that you dont care and just want to watch it regardless!! Each is fair enough! Its your opinion :) Sunday is always a filler episode on FC anyway, very little happens

ya i dont care, Id watch it 6 days a week if it was on, I love soaps!!!!!!!!!!!
    :):):)

Neil is a smooth operator!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Neil is a smooth operator!!!!!!!!!!!

Or Hayley is an easy pick-up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement